Development of incoming freshman | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

Reaction Score
This freshman class has underwhelmed because of the "lessons" Geno tries to teach. He is making a mistake with how he uses his top recruits. Sure, winning by 30+ ppg is nice, but seeing the development of the players that will carry the torch for your program is more important. We will see more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach. Quite frankly it's obnoxious.

Breaking down your players for your own benefit is dangerous to the long term future of the program. The fans came to see the teamwork, camraderie, and effortless flow. They did not go to watch Geno. Or better yet hear about their deficiencies. Teach them and let them play, who cares if they fail. But let them play basketball and show their natural skillsets over National TV.

Play your Freshman, Geno.
I think you're comments have some validity in that's how most or many managers like to develop their players, staff and trainees.
Geno has a very different style and approach then most. He teaches, plays and reinforces excellence.
He is not breaking down anyone for his own benefit. Go watch Rebecca Lobo's acceptance speech especially the very end and you will hopefully see how this high expectations / tough love approach has worked. Yes it surely does cause some, maybe even many recruits to become less confident or more jittery in trying to meet his expectations. The ones that stay and those that excel or at least do well, learn to take it in and use it to make them not just better players but people. Again it's surely not for everyone. Megan at times seems to get it and others regresses. I'm sure it is very difficult for someone who has been a star player (most of their recruits are) to be harped on over and over again or to be sat when they don't perform. Here's how I see a few of the other current players in this regard. Kyla clearly gets it. Her play yesterday was quite good and she's not the most athletically gifted player. She plays with confidence and contributes to team play. Molly who seems to be one of the hardest workers can't seem to balance playing all out and yet being in control of herself. CD who was a top few recruits out of HS really struggled last year. Seemingly over the summer she figured out what she needed to do and was expected of her and now "watch out". KLS was the top rated recruit out of HS and a great shooter. Now she does almost everything above average, when Geno used to joke "has she ever gotten an offensive rebound."
Each and every player and human being respond differently and at their own pace. Most good managers adapt their style and approach to each persons strengths and weaknesses. Not Geno! He has the same expectations for everyone. You play defense and team ball or you sit and watch until you do.
Also your comments about losing recruits doesn't match up with the realities. Thirty years in and looking at the next two to three years out recruits many of the top ones who fit the U Conn style are almost all considering coming and a few each year will commit here. Again we will lose some recruits and occasionally one will transfer out but the sum is way greater than the parts. Also, when you look at the ongoing relationships, respect and those who continually return here for special events be it national championship games or the 100th win, obviously most of his current and former players love him or surely respect and follow his lead.
To end, I just saw a recent presser where he commented on a recent game where Molly hit a three pointer to make it 100 that game and he said why, what do we need that for. The players were all up and cheering her on. His message was you behave and treat your opponents with respect is more important than the basket or what it does for Molly's confidence.
I've studied management and how one excels at this for about 50 years, and Geno is pretty unique and so are their results.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Don't worry all is well in Husky Land. He'll win his 35+ games every year and win many more championships. Just a quick thought that maybe when you're up 55+ points against a bottom feeder team maybe it's a good opportunity to use your high school National Player of the Year and teach.

But that is what separates Geno from the rest. He has a standard that absolutely must be met. If not, you are not playing (or playing very little). I get your point, however, it is those types of small details (not calling out a screen) that make UCONN players ready for the next level.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This freshman class has underwhelmed because of the "lessons" Geno tries to teach. He is making a mistake with how he uses his top recruits. Sure, winning by 30+ ppg is nice, but seeing the development of the players that will carry the torch for your program is more important. We will see more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach. Quite frankly it's obnoxious.

Breaking down your players for your own benefit is dangerous to the long term future of the program. The fans came to see the teamwork, camraderie, and effortless flow. They did not go to watch Geno. Or better yet hear about their deficiencies. Teach them and let them play, who cares if they fail. But let them play basketball and show their natural skillsets over National TV.

Every freaking year. Heck every freaking few weeks.

Epic_Facepalm_5452.png

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Dude, I have been following Geno for over 30 years and I have never heard a player make that quote.
I believe that the poster was saying that they have never heard a player say this: You don't learn from practicing all day. You learn from playing the sport 5 on 5 vs. real competition.

Reaction Score
But that is what separates Geno from the rest. He has a standard that absolutely must be met. If not, you are not playing (or playing very little). I get your point, however, it is those types of small details (not calling out a screen) that make UCONN players ready for the next level.

What next level?? Playing for low salaries in the WNBA?

Reaction Score
Geno seems to be playing more "head" game this year than any that I can remember. A freshman that makes a mistake during a game, gets yanked, yelled at, then doesn't get back into the game? Calhoun would do the same thing , but then would re-insert the player because he didn't want to hurt that players confidence.
Maybe we have too much talent?

HGN

Reaction Score
You don't learn from practicing all day. You learn from playing the sport 5 on 5 vs. real competition.
If you don't do it in practice , even if it is an all day practice , you won't do it in the game.

Winning 1000+ games is proof evidence enough for most of us....Emphasis on most of us , that his methods and system works effectively.

Reaction Score

th

NICE POST!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Geno seems to be playing more "head" game this year than any that I can remember. A freshman that makes a mistake during a game, gets yanked, yelled at, then doesn't get back into the game? Calhoun would do the same thing , but then would re-insert the player because he didn't want to hurt that players confidence.
Maybe we have too much talent?
I don't think he's playing games. I think he has less patience than he used to. I honestly don't think he cares about mistakes that are the result of trying to make plays - look at Kyla. She is earning more and more playing time because she does the fundamental things correctly (calling out screens, rotating on defense, etc) and tries to make plays out there. She's not the most talented, physically. But he trusts her at this point more than Megan, it seems.

And yes - say they had specifically focused on calling out screens in practice all week. Say it was a point of emphasis before the game. Now say your freshman goes in there and at the first sight of a screen, remains completely silent. That would drive me up a wall as a coach. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's the little things that require no extra talent, only a little bit of focus and effort, that make teams go from good to great. Boxing out every time. Knowing who you're guarding. Calling out screens. Hand in the passing lane. These things don't require you to have Gabby's leaping ability, or KLS's sharp shooting. Anyone can do them. So when you take someone as talented as Megan and she can't be bothered to do the little things that someone like Kyla, who is clearly not as physically gifted, does every time, I can see where the frustration sets in for Geno.

Reaction Score
If you don't do it in practice , even if it is an all day practice , you won't do it in the game.
—————————————————————

And in the team development, both offense and defense (especially the latter) a player who isn’t working with teammates on switching, helping, being in the right spot screws up the dynamics and makes the players who know and expect what should be happening tentative and reacting late not just when the unprepared player is in the game but in the aftermath as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's not just calling out screens. UConn's entire defensive scheme is predicated on communication. Calling out ball screens as well as primary and secondary switches is an integral part of UConn's man-to-man defense, where the Huskies will switch all over the court. If you have any doubt, watch Kia on defense. In addition to being the most fundamentally sound defensive player at UConn, she is constantly barking out commands to her teammates to make sure they're all in the right place.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
At no point did I ever try to discredit his success or tactics. He is the best motivator and teacher But I do have the right to question how he has chosen to handle his recruits within the last few years. The freshman will be your starters in 2 years and have no substantial run.
Clearly you have in mind someone or a group of someone's that you feel are or have been mismanaged. Have the courage of your convictions and come clean with names.

On the one hand you call him the best motivator and teacher, then on the other hand you question his teaching methods. You can't have it both ways my friend. He has treated this and every freshman class with the basic tenet that playing time is earned in practice. From his first day as coach at UCONN. Clearly you haven't been monitoring Geno for very long, which is why I assumed you have only a recent vested interest. Give your examples OF JUST ONE FRESHMAN that has been hurt by his methods. It couldn't be last year's freshman because Crystal is a starter. Two years ago it was Lou and Phesse who were All Americans as sophomores and may both be so as juniors. 3 years ago it was Kia and Gabby, so it must be someone(s) from this year. You get my drift? So I ask again. Either this is a case of tragic ignorance or self interest. Which is it?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Clearly you have someone or a group of someone's that you feel are or have been mismanaged. Have the courage of your convictions and come clean with names.

On the one hand you call him the best motivator and teacher, then on the other hand you question his teaching methods. You can't have it both ways my friend. He has treated this and every freshman class with the basic tenet that playing time is earned in practice. From his first day as coach at UCONN. Clearly you haven't been monitoring Geno for very long, which is why I assumed you have only a recent vested interest. Give your examples OF JUST ONE FRESHMAN that has been hurt by his methods. It couldn't be last year's freshman because Crystal is a starter. Two years ago it was Lou and Phesse who were All Americans as sophomores and may both be so as juniors. 3 years ago it was Kia and Gabby, so it must be someone(s) from this year. You get my drift? So I ask again. Either this is a case of tragic ignorance or self interest. Which is it?
Another dead give away was this statement indicating that @Pmac923 might have a little more skin in the game that us causual fans. You can use a personal message if you you want.
But I do have the right to question how he has chosen to handle his recruits within the last few years.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
While I do not agree with the views of the OP, I suspect that they are shared by a not insignificant number of UCONN fans who do not post on this board. In fact, they would not be that unreasonable if one were to disregard Geno's track record. The real problem with the sentiment expressed in the OP is that it is almost impossible to argue against a system that has produced so much success for so long a period of time.

One important aspect of the debate on the relative importance of practice vs real game experience that no one has commented on is that the answer depends critically on the nature of the sport in question. In an individual sport (golf, tennis, etc), no amount of practice can replicate the pressure of real game experience, so the latter is of paramount importance. That is why even an elite player would require a long time to get back to the competitive level after a long absence, no matter how hard he/she practices during the absence. In a team sport, however, the opposite is true. When any player is just a cog in the wheel and winning and losing depends entirely on how well the wheel functions, practice is everything to perfect the functioning of the wheel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom