Development of incoming freshman | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
At no point did I ever try to discredit his success or tactics. He is the best motivator and teacher But I do have the right to question how he has chosen to handle his recruits within the last few years. The freshman will be your starters in 2 years and have no substantial run.
Just curious where you think you have acquired this right?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
This freshman class has underwhelmed because of the "lessons" Geno tries to teach. He is making a mistake with how he uses his top recruits. Sure, winning by 30+ ppg is nice, but seeing the development of the players that will carry the torch for your program is more important. We will see more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach. Quite frankly it's obnoxious.

Breaking down your players for your own benefit is dangerous to the long term future of the program. The fans came to see the teamwork, camraderie, and effortless flow. They did not go to watch Geno. Or better yet hear about their deficiencies. Teach them and let them play, who cares if they fail. But let them play basketball and show their natural skillsets over National TV.

Play your Freshman, Geno.
So Pmac, what planet did you just arrive from? And do you need any help getting your foot out of your mouth? I'm sure you've been offered lots of help.

Reaction Score
Megan Walker, who averages 16.1 minutes, played six and Mikayla Coombs, who averaged 6.8, played three, neither playing in the second half. “It wasn’t a decision at all,” Auriemma said. “They weren’t ready to go. I don’t know whether they were ill or sick, I don’t know, but they weren’t ready to play. It’s not a mystery.” UConn coaches appeared unhappy with fundamental lapses, such as not calling out screens

From the Courant. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjo_vzY0I7ZAhVjjlQKHYzOBoYQqQIIKCgAMAA&url=http://www.courant.com/plus/hc-sp-uconn-women-notebook-cincinnati-0205-story.html&usg=AOvVaw0Q--bw4aUSV01gTFYOq1sM
Totally agree. Whatever we are guessing or thinking I believe the coach does know the best.
Hope to see Megan and Mikayla have a big time in next several games.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok who has the Alan Iverson clip. We need it for therapy over here.
tenor.gif

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think Geno would argue otherwise.
I have heard many former players argue otherwise too.

And as an aside, I really don't want my surgeon to learn while working on me, I'd prefer if the learning took place PRACTICING beforehand.
Dude, I have been following Geno for over 30 years and I have never heard a player make that quote.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Genos record speaks for itself. He keeps doing what he's doing and keeps gettin what he's gettin and that equates to the number one coach and program in WCBB. Year after year he continues to make his teams better. IMO thats because his is a disciplinarian. Year after year he has players turning Pro. Year after year his teams win and set records. You may not agree with what he's doing but what he's doing is bringing success to his players and his team. We've seen Players come and go, we've seen players get hurt and sit and UConn continues to win. The kids know this. They know the price they will have to pay before they get here. They also know it wont be easy but it will be worth it.

My ole saying....To be successful you must pay a huge price....in advance....and there are no guarantees.

Practice doesnt make perfect however perfect practice with the right teacher does lead to a much better player. To be a great player you have to have a great teacher. A teacher who wont let up on you and who wont let you quit. A tuff teacher and thats what you get at UConn. Ive played alot of sports and am pretty good at all of them and I never stop practicing. For example I hit between 100 and 200 golf balls before a round and I hit a over 50 after a round and during the week I practice and hit depending on what Im working on I hit over 300 balls. People ask me why I do that. I do it to make what I learn reflective so I dont have to think about it... I practice so it happens automatically.

I had a pro give me a lesson hitting wedges from approx 60 yds. I hit over two big green buckets. I took over 2 hours. The asst pro asked me why I was hitting so many balls on such a hot day the temp was 94 degrees I said I have to do it until I cant get it wrong, until it becomes reflexive. I said the difference between me and so many others is when I get a lesson I practice til it becomes reflexive while most people hit a few balls and think theyve got it and when they go out and play they have to think about what theyre doing instead of letting it happen. You cant never play anything well if you have to think about it.
So I would have to disagree with you saying you regarding practice.

I do understand why you may have a fear of kids leaving because its to hard and I do understand where your coming from regarding loosing freshman. The environment at UConn is not like that. Everybody is on the same page or will be on the same page because of the environment. If they arent they will most likely leave and thats ok. UConn isnt for everybody. Those few that do leave imo have their reasons. Some times its they want more playtime sometimes its something else. Geno knows exactly what he's doing and he knows how to build a solid team. He's proven that. So for those its to hard for or for those who are looking for more playtime or something else they leave and are replaced by somebody else. I think the real proof is seeing the kids that transfer in. There are alot of girls who want to come here and there isnt enough room for them. Geno has built a very very successful dynasty and he is attracting more players then most people know. Many other coaches have to work alot harder to recruit those great players.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I meant that they don't have the pressure on them like freshman do at UConn.

I was kidding, kind of. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that if a freshmen gets playing time based on practice, that a tweak during the game as opposed to benching doesn’t seem a crazy possibility. Lots of ways to build confidence. Obviously his record speaks for itself.

On the other hand,well past halfway into this season, he only plays one sophomore regularly and one freshman with widely varying significant time, and a transfer by a fairly promising freshman. The two kids benched yesterday were hs AAs and, granting Geno wants kids to play the way he wants, the point about relaxed unheralded freshmen is only that our kids do have talent, but they might be trying too hard to do what he wants. Most of his star players who he has said take a long time to figure out his system did get a lot of time on the floor their first year. From this year we lose two All American type players and maybe Stevens. This year’s freshman class teaches us that we have no idea if the newcomers next year will fit in early nor do we know if this year’s struggling freshmen will make a big sophomore leap. I hope they all stick with us.

This year certainly looks good, but last year Crystal got a good bit more floor time than any of this year’s freshman. One test of his comfort level with players in non-garbage time is Kyla. She looks like she knows what she’s doing. Not star quality, but someone who might be able to rest a starter for a few minutes here and there without blowing a 15-20 first half lead.

Reaction Score
This freshman class has underwhelmed because of the "lessons" Geno tries to teach. He is making a mistake with how he uses his top recruits. Sure, winning by 30+ ppg is nice, but seeing the development of the players that will carry the torch for your program is more important. We will see more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach. Quite frankly it's obnoxious.

Breaking down your players for your own benefit is dangerous to the long term future of the program. The fans came to see the teamwork, camraderie, and effortless flow. They did not go to watch Geno. Or better yet hear about their deficiencies. Teach them and let them play, who cares if they fail. But let them play basketball and show their natural skillsets over National TV.

Amen to that. He has high school all-americans sitting on his bench that he won't play because he says they are not ready. How do you get ready if you don't get game experience? He praised Irwin for her play yesterday. When she gets minutes she plays well, but he determines how long she plays. Walker did not play in the second half because "she wasn't ready to play", according to Geno. What does that even mean?

Reaction Score

Scores + Stops = Margin of Victory.
You will not get appreciable court time until Geno sees you can do both.
AAU ball, upon which most of our frosh built their reputations, features plenty of scoring with scant attention to defensive skills.
Kiah Stokes and Kelly Faris are examples of players who were stoppers far more than scorers; showing that, if Geno has to choose one skill set, he will pick defense.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Scores + Stops = Margin of Victory.
You will not get appreciable court time until Geno sees you can do both.
AAU ball, upon which most of our frosh built their reputations, features plenty of scoring with scant attention to defensive skills.
Kiah Stokes and Kelly Faris are examples of players who were stoppers far more than scorers; showing that, if Geno has to choose one skill set, he will pick defense.
As he did with Kia in her 3rd game as a freshman and she has started every game since then, except for when she was injured.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

You do know that Geno has been doing this for 32 years and his former players all revere him. But hey, who am I to suggest you may not know what you’re talking about. Maybe you should give Geno a call to discuss your suggestion. I’m sure he’ll be receptive. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just curious where you think you have acquired this right?

Don't worry all is well in Husky Land. He'll win his 35+ games every year and win many more championships. Just a quick thought that maybe when you're up 55+ points against a bottom feeder team maybe it's a good opportunity to use your high school National Player of the Year and teach. [mod edit: transfer speculation]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So Pmac, what planet did you just arrive from? And do you need any help getting your foot out of your mouth? I'm sure you've been offered lots of help.

I hope you're having a nice day too, my friend.

Reaction Score
Oh baby! They’re on their way with pitchforks. Put on your hard hat.

Coaches are for coaching; players are for playing; fans are for fanning. Let's fan.

Reaction Score

I think I'll go with what has worked for Geno and UConn Women's Basketball since 1995. If the recruits can't hack it then transfer, and "don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you" on the way out. If you want to play, then earn your playing time in practice like every player before you did. Geno will find somebody else to take your place. Primadonna's need not apply.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom