Development of incoming freshman | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

Reaction Score
Actually I disagree. Practice makes perfect - maybe a silly saying, but it's true. Did you watch the last few games where the bench got in and got some serious minutes? Molly continues to be tentative and is a turnover waiting to happen. Mikayla looks lost out there. Megan has regressed. Lexi can't make a basket and is shooting under a FG% under 18%. Kyla is the only one who is consistently productive, but she lacks the athleticism to be more effective. Batouly is coming back from serious injuries.

While I wish it was different, the reality is that it's not. When our reserves get into games - the last 6-8 minutes of blowouts, more often than not, we are outscored and outplayed by the worst teams in the American. While I'd love to see Coombs or Walker get more minutes with the starters, the fact is that when Coombs is in, she plays poorly, and Megan has played terrible the past 2 games. Frankly, Kyla is the only one who looks like she knows what she's doing out there when in with most of the core 6, and that's sad given how highly rated Walker and Coombs were coming out of HS.

I'm just gonna say it - I get that freshmen struggle, but Mikayla and Megan so far are 2 of the more disappointing top 15 freshmen I can remember seeing at UCONN. There is still time for them to get it, but that time (and Geno's patience) is running out.

So true EricLA. Don't let anyone tell u wrong. I got slaughtered for similar comments a month ago

Reaction Score
In watching my game replay, Megan was benched after Kia almost got whiplash when she was blindsided by a pick that Megan apparently did not warn her of. Geno then "talked" to Megan so maybe she said that she wasn't feeling well (my speculation based upon Nan's post) either at that point or at the half.

Dangerfield showed more promise last year than Megan has shown this year.

Reaction Score
I think its evident that Geno is tougher on his freshman than any other coach in the country. With the exception of a few great talents and years where he has no choice but to play freshman, the freshman usually serve as role rotation players. He consistently tries to limit their minutes because unless they are playing the right way, they shouldn't learn to play with "bad habits."

Yes maybe this freshman class hasn't been as advertised yet, but they each have three and a half more years to make an impression. Our freshman usually aren't in contention for NFOY, but come junior and senior year, they seem to find a way into the AA discussion.

I'm willing to trust the process as its yielded pretty lofty success.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Kyla develop a jump shot from the elbow. Actually, I would love to see a jump shot period.

She can shoot the three. She's a very good player.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield showed more promise last year than Megan has shown this year.

nope. both had one outstanding game, where they were arguably the difference maker. both were sick and had a hard time recovering form. both spent a lot of time on the bench. But it's hard to imagine anyone deeper in Geno's doghouse than a point guard who didn't play the final minutes or the OT of the semis last year and therefore Saniya had to carry that entire load.

main difference: in two years, Crystal may be the best point guard in America. In three years, Meg will be the best player in America.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just curious where you think you have acquired this right?

First Amendment - Religion and Expression. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, ...

Reaction Score
First Amendment - Religion and Expression. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, ...
Congress shall make no such law, but our moderators can. :)

My point is more than a joke. Congress can't limit free speech (except for the "clear and present danger" subsequent modification by Justice Holmes), but free speech is not guaranteed in (say) work places: you can be fired for saying certain things. And as a general notion, communities can impose their norms: for example, if one were to stand up in a religious building and denounce the principles of that religion, that community could ask/insist/call police and enforce that person's removal. This message board could, if it wanted, say that there is no criticisms of (say) Geno allowed, and be within its legal rights.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Sixty-seventh Amendment — Credibility and Respect. Notwithstanding the rights bestowed by the First Amendment, codswallop shall invite ridicule and vigorous opposition.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Pmac923, post: 2562751, member: 8415"Play your Freshman, Geno.[/QUOTE]

He will next year because he will need a starter and at least the sixth man and probably a seventh and hopefully an eighth player. So next year some combination of the freshmen and sophomores will play more minutes in competition for the aforementioned openings. As a junior Kyla will also contend. When he just does not feel any pressure to play freshmen, he won't. Plus all the bitching he is hearing and reading about not playing the frosh ... well ... he just becomes more entrenched in his position to show everyone who is the boss and the master. So don't look for anything to change this year despite Gabby and Crystal's ailments.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Sixty-seventh Amendment — Credibility and Respect. Notwithstanding the rights bestowed by the First Amendment, codswallop shall invite ridicule and vigorous opposition.

OH! So that is what Pmac923 is doing. Reacting to Geno's codswallop. :rolleyes:;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Congress shall make no such law, but our moderators can. :)

My point is more than a joke. Congress can't limit free speech (except for the "clear and present danger" subsequent modification by Justice Holmes), but free speech is not guaranteed in (say) work places: you can be fired for saying certain things. And as a general notion, communities can impose their norms: for example, if one were to stand up in a religious building and denounce the principles of that religion, that community could ask/insist/call police and enforce that person's removal. This message board could, if it wanted, say that there is no criticisms of (say) Geno allowed, and be within its legal rights.

I agree when it is something important. These are college sports discussions. Hardly earth shattering. Geno is not a God. A very talent and successful coach who is not infallible which he, himself, has pointed out on numerous occasions. How serious he was on those occasions I don't know.:)

Reaction Score
nope. both had one outstanding game, where they were arguably the difference maker. both were sick and had a hard time recovering form. both spent a lot of time on the bench. But it's hard to imagine anyone deeper in Geno's doghouse than a point guard who didn't play the final minutes or the OT of the semis last year and therefore Saniya had to carry that entire load.

main difference: in two years, Crystal may be the best point guard in America. In three years, Meg will be the best player in America.

Your wrong bags, your wrong bags, your wrong bags.

Danger was clearly out of control at times and pressing but I saw more flashes of what was to come. Danger seemed to of played a lot more. Megan has really not shown much. I don't think megan will be the best player in America. Very good, solid, sure. The best player in country eh. We will see. I hope so.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Big difference on posts...I know and like CharlieBB..jury is still out on you.:D
Whatever. It was nice reading your posts, well at least some of them...(not sure if you will be able to see this...)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Danger was clearly out of control at times and pressing but I saw more flashes of what was to come. Danger seemed to of played a lot more. Megan has really not shown much. I don't think megan will be the best player in America. Very good, solid, sure. The best player in country eh. We will see. I hope so.
Speaking of being wrong, I feel compelled to remind you that on these matters your track record is "suspect". Of the Freshmen Lexi Gordon you predicted:...
This sounds like a typical situation for most freshman. She has such a wonderful personality and will fight through the learning curve. I really think she's going to be a wonderful piece to our near future puzzle. I'm a huge fan and supporter
Megan has shown plenty. She will be just fine.

Reaction Score

Glad you saw those flashes. Geno acted on what he knew and she didn't play at the most important times in the most important game of the year.

Look, I think Crystal is great. I'm just saying that last year's Crystal was certainly no better than this year's Meg. That's where we have some data.

Reaction Score
Speaking of being wrong, I feel compelled to remind you that on these matters your track record is "suspect". Of the Freshmen Lexi Gordon you predicted:...

Megan has shown plenty. She will be just fine.

Lexi has been slower than I thought to develop but remember she wasn't a top rated recruit. It's kinda do****e to drag up older posts especially when your trying to be positive regarding a player. Plus even if I'm wrong and she's not as good as I thought when you make many many points your bound to make a mistake here and there. I don't walk on water like u. You'll have to teach me that. It's not like all the freshman are killing it but her. It's been a wacky year.

Hopefully megan will be fine. Isn't that what we all want? Right now she's not fine.

Reaction Score
Glad you saw those flashes. Geno acted on what he knew and she didn't play at the most important times in the most important game of the year.

Look, I think Crystal is great. I'm just saying that last year's Crystal was certainly no better than this year's Meg. That's where we have some data.

Totally agree to disagree bags. I respect your opinion. You always add a lot of value to this board.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Whatever. It was nice reading your posts, well at least some of them...(not sure if you will be able to see this...)
I actually had not seen Charlie’s post so I was just being or trying to be funny...I apologize if I offended you,

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
This thread is silly.

It's pretty simple and a concept that's far from new...

If the freshman could play defense like KIA NURSE, they'd play and probably start.

If they had the sick skills of MAYA MOORE, they'd play and probably start.

But they dont. So what's the big deal? Either give them time to get there or not, why the complaining?

Gosh, will you just look at, let's say, GABBY WILLIAMS...zero minutes against Stanford, 3 minutes here, maybe 5 there? Look at the beautiful blossom Geno has now cultivated.

Relax. They'll be fine.
:p

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Totally agree. Crystal was definitely more advanced last year than any of this season's freshman including MW. I think Crystal was better equipped to handle the complexities and challenges of UConn better since I think she is a very cerebral player and can learn from her mistakes pretty quickly. I am somewhat concerned about Megan and I guess I add Mikayla to the mix. They strike me as more instinctive offensive players that rely on athleticism and when they hit rough patches, they can get down on themselves and it affects other parts of their game. Even when MW was missing shots lately, it was not by much and she was getting open shots but I think when she misses, she lets it affect other parts of her game. Imho, Mikayla's shot and form need a complete overhaul.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

From the Cornell Law School website:
First Amendment: An Overview
The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. It prohibits any laws that establish a national religion, impede the free exercise of religion, abridge the freedom of speech, infringe upon the freedom of the press, interfere with the right to peaceably assemble, or prohibit citizens from petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted into the Bill of Rights in 1791. The Supreme Court interprets the extent of the protection afforded to these rights. The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments.

Reaction Score
I know Geno is not God. The guy admits to many mistakes but when did we stop trusting him and the process? There are some people that complains about giving stars to every participants but if they think about it giving players playing time in the actual game without them deserving it is the same as giving stars to every participants.

You would think our record is 0-22 with the way some of these topics and conversations from the Bineyard. Let’s survey the other teams if they’d want Geno with all of his rules and regulations and I think they’d trade their first born to have the record that we have.

In the words of Mr Rodgers.....R-E-L-A-X

Reaction Score

..........you obviously haven't read the BY constitution................:D

Reaction Score
I get the practice issue, but I don't think it was practice against Cincy, because Meg and Mikayla both got in early and Geno said that they just weren't ready to play. The question in my mind is would it have been more effective as player development to let them sit for the rest of the first half and give them a chance to correct it in the second half? I recognize that half the people on this board will say Geno sat them the rest of the game, so that is the right answer by definition. I'm not sure I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom