Development of incoming freshman | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Does that warrant a benching? Maybe a suspension?

Call a timeout and get it right in the moment. No need to set an example that way. It's a tactic that might've worked in the past.
I too want to know more about the suspension??? Is this you speaking from your b...(well, I don't know if the BY allows the word) or a fact?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well that one is fairly easy. He's even admitted he never could get through to her. But then even some of her teammates had trouble getting through to her. And she was one of my favorite Huskies.

Charde Houston.

He couldn't get the offensive Kiah Stokes out either.
Well, neither could anyone for Kiah. Perhaps what we see with Kiah is her potential offensively. As for Charde again, water finds its own level.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
they'll find out about Dara soon enough....I watched her in person two weeks ago against top competition and she was simply awesome.....hard to know how she compares to your incoming guards but the kid is the quickest and best ball handler of the three Mabreys by miles and maintains that nasty streak you all know and love....

I know that some smart people such as yourself just absolutely love the kid. For whatever reason, the recruiting services aren't as high on her. Personally, I'm sure she would have been a great addition to the team. You know for sure that a Mabrey will work her tail off and do whatever it takes to win.

On the other hand, what coaching staff could possibly have a better idea of her skills than Notre Dame's?

Mostly, I'm just sick of hearing about it and dreading another 4 years of it. ND has two McDonald's All-American guards signed plus a verbal from Anaya Peoples. It's not as if ND is lacking in future backcourt talent.

And, to the point of this little digression, Coaches McGraw and Ivey have a pretty good hit rate on guards. Diggins, Loyd, Allen, McBride, Arike, Mabreys I & II, etc. It's not that we can't or shouldn't question these Hall of Fame coaches. It's that they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

If Geno chases these kids away and they become stars elsewhere, by all means have a go at Geno. In a year we will be talking about Walker as the latest in a long line of Husky superstars. And I'll be posting a screesnhot of this post to brag about making my extremely easy prediction.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
the skinny mobile posts are perhaps cruisers or maybe destroyers ...to qualify as an aircraft carrier you have to weigh more then Geno.....:).

To me an "aircraft carrier" is similar to Teaira McCowan (MS) or Kalani Brown (Baylor). My kind of post players. I look for McCowan to improve during her senior year. She's made tremendous strides beyond her play last year. She was no match for a more polished and mature Wilson Monday night. She's not as mobile or quick as Wilson right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I know Geno is not God. The guy admits to many mistakes but when did we stop trusting him and the process? There are some people that complains about giving stars to every participants but if they think about it giving players playing time in the actual game without them deserving it is the same as giving stars to every participants.

You would think our record is 0-22 with the way some of these topics and conversations from the Bineyard. Let’s survey the other teams if they’d want Geno with all of his rules and regulations and I think they’d trade their first born to have the record that we have.

In the words of Mr Rodgers.....R-E-L-A-X
I thought that was Frankie says...:D

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Good post. I said the same thing a few days ago, it just took me longer to say it. Folks that are at odds with Geno's tactics and philosophy hopefully will read this post. It pretty much capsulizes Geno's unique coaching and teaching methods and philosophy that some find odd, strange or offensive. No doubt some will still take exception to its tenor. Players that come to UConn come for different reasons. All of them have been admonished by Geno, his coaches and the players (during campus visits) exactly what they can expect if they commit to UConn.

There are no surprises the first day of practice. The freshmen come to UConn with their eyes wide open, knowing how demanding Geno is. Regardless, they still experience things they are not ready for. I remember last year Dangerfield saying "on camera" during an interview the first week or two of official practice (paraphrasing) "Nothing I did or experienced in high school or AAU prepared me for what I'm going through now in these practices."

There's no substitute for experience. Freshmen don't come to UConn "game ready". Just like recruits in the armed forces, they have to be broken down for X number of weeks in basic training, then built back up before they become serviceable, and deemed ready for field duty assignments. No one enters any armed forces branch in the U.S., and goes directly to a field or combat unit.

I realize my use of military ops and procedures regarding new recruits may not be the best example of the question at hand, but you get my drift. :cool:
You are wrong when you say there are no surprises the first day of practice. Banks, Dangerfield, and a number of other players stated that they thought practice would be tough but not as tough as it was. Banks said something to the effect that her kind of tough was different from UCONN's tough. However, if they had been listening to comments of current and former players, they should have known. But, like someone said, there is no way a player can be expected to know how tough practices are until they actually experience them.

Carnac

Reaction Score
See, this is why I visit The Boneyard; you actually can learn things here. Thanks for the explanation, Milford. Given the videos I've seen of CD and Shea imploring players to communicate--an absolute necessity in UConn's switching defense--this makes perfect sense.

Me too!! :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
You are wrong when you say there are no surprises the first day of practice. Banks, Dangerfield, and a number of other players stated that they thought practice would be tough but not as tough as it was. Banks said something to the effect that her kind of tough was different from UCONN's tough. However, if they had been listening to comments of current and former players, they should have known. But, like someone said, there is no way a player can be expected to know how tough practices are until they actually experience them.

Thanks, I got that. I said that based on the assumption that recruits visit the campus, and attend a live practice before committing. Unless they were blindfolded, how could they not see what they were in for. A picture is worth a thousand words. It's much different if you TELL me what practice is like, versus me seeing it for myself.

Reaction Score
I know that some smart people such as yourself just absolutely love the kid. For whatever reason, the recruiting services aren't as high on her. Personally, I'm sure she would have been a great addition to the team. You know for sure that a Mabrey will work her tail off and do whatever it takes to win.

On the other hand, what coaching staff could possibly have a better idea of her skills than Notre Dame's?

Mostly, I'm just sick of hearing about it and dreading another 4 years of it. ND has two McDonald's All-American guards signed plus a verbal from Anaya Peoples. It's not as if ND is lacking in future backcourt talent.

I've been watching her play for the past four years so I have a rooting interest in her success............people at the Shore laugh about the ratings services giving her two or three stars and in ESPN's case not even listing her in the top 100 because she has gone head to head against many of the highly rated kids and destroyed them one by one..........she is thought of by outsiders as simply a scorer but the fact is she takes great pride in her defense and every time she comes up against the big time player from another school she just shuts them down and gets her 20 plus points too..........................I'm really curious to see how she fares at Virginia Tech...............some Shore folks compare her to Kelly Campbell now at Depaul who's had an OK career so far, although I think Mabrey will have more impact................... bottom line, you guys have plenty (maybe too many) guards coming in so as long as one or two of them pan out all will be forgotten.........

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
No, and I scoff at them, too.

Their particular mania is Muffet's supposed inability to recruit posts. Somehow, Achonwa, Turner, Westbeld, and Shepard (as a transfer) don't count.

In this scenario, we see it year after year. Geno gives the freshman tough love and they either shape up or ship out. Most of them shape up and do so quite nicely.

Actually, ND are in a similar situation with Danielle Patterson. She is not playing much despite ND's short bench. She's just not ready yet. She will play when she is.
You bring up an interesting point that I think we here at BY are quietly whispering past the cemetery so to say.

Last year, Muffet did not play a full complement of players and had two highly ranked players in Boley and Patberg transfer out. Likewise we see what Chennedy Carter, Evina Westbrook, Anastasia Hayes are doing as less heralded freshman than MW.

I get that Geno has high standards and it has worked. I only hope his communication is resonating with the full compliment of players who see how Gabby, KLS, Pheesa, Crystal Dangerfield, Molly and Kyla have done under similar scenarios. In particular are KLS and Crystal Dangerfield, who as highly regarded prospects have blossomed in years 2/3.

Father time is undefeated as they say in two regards-1. physically, sports take their toll on the body and 2. Mentally to compete requires ongoing adjustments and evolution as the game evolves. This affect Geno and CD directly in the effort to recruit to travel and watch the number games they need to and in them understanding generations needs/attitudes change as well, so his style will need to evolve to stay on top. I am not saying that is an issue...yet...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You bring up an interesting point that I think we here at BY are quietly whispering past the cemetery so to say.

Last year, Muffet did not play a full complement of players and had two highly ranked players in Boley and Patberg transfer out. Likewise we see what Chennedy Carter, Evina Westbrook, Anastasia Hayes are doing as less heralded freshman than MW. past four years.

I get that Geno has high standards and it has worked. I only hope his communication is resonating with the full compliment of players who see how Gabby, KLS, Pheesa, Crystal Dangerfield, Molly and Kyla have done under similar scenarios. In particular are KLS and Crystal Dangerfield, who as highly regarded prospects have blossomed in years 2/3.

Father time is undefeated as they say in two regards-1. physically, sports take their toll on the body and 2. Mentally to compete requires ongoing adjustments and evolution as the game evolves. This affect Geno and CD directly in the effort to recruit to travel and watch the number games they need to and in them understanding generations needs/attitudes change as well, so his style will need to evolve to stay on top. I am not saying that is an issue...yet...

Boley was 7th in minutes for ND, behind starters Allen, Turner, Mabrey, Ogunbowale, and Westbeld and behind classmate Jackie Young. She was very much part of the rotation as a freshman and got more minutes as she showed improvement later in the season. If she expected she was going to come in and start right from day 1, unrealistic expectations were the problem, not Muffets minutes distribution. And she *did* start 10 games when Westbeld missed some time.

Patberg had injury after injury. You almost felt she was cursed. I don't blame her for wanting to get a fresh start.

I understand the concern, though. Transfers are becoming more and more frequent everywhere. However, historically players than transfer away from UConn don't become stars at their new school. If you have what it takes, you find a way to meet Geno's expectations and emerge a better player for doing so. If you can do that, maybe you didn't have what it took to begin with.

Reaction Score

That's a lot of effort put into recruiting and you get nothing from them. I get that Geno has high standards and it has worked. I only hope his communication is resonating with the full compliment of players who see how Gabby, KLS, Pheesa, Crystal Dangerfield, Molly and Kyla have done under similar scenarios. In particular are KLS and Crystal Dangerfield, who as highly regarded prospects have blossomed in years 2/3.

I don't think that lack of communication is an issue at UConn.................on the contrary, if you've followed the progression of UConn players from year to year you'd see that the older players who have already been through the freshman trial by fire are very helpful in conveying exactly what one needs to do to get through it and come out the other side a better and more productive player................in Geno's world, if you can't take the heat of the freshman initiation you are not going to succeed as a UConn player in years to come...............that's the way it is now and I assume for as long as Geno is in charge.............my own issue revolves not about this process in itself but in the effect it can have on the starters who have already proven their mettle........alas the majority here don't share my concerns............so be it

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I don't think that lack of communication is an issue at UConn.......on the contrary, if you've followed the progression of UConn players from year to year you'd see that the older players who have already been through the freshman trial by fire are very helpful in conveying exactly what one needs to do to get through it and come out the other side a better and more productive player......in Geno's world, if you can't take the heat of the freshman initiation you are not going to succeed as a UConn player in years to come.....that's the way it is now and I assume for as long as Geno is in charge...my own issue revolves not about this process in itself but in the effect it can have on the starters who have already proven their mettle...alas the majority here don't share my concerns..so be it
Thanks for the notes back- I am going to include our ND colleague Orangutan here as well-I said I have slight worries as is justified by the talent we lost already -statistically speaking the concern is warranted. I do think Geno's communication is ongoing for each of them. Same can be said of ND's process as well. I don't think Boley expected to start and while 7th in minutes, my thought was she should have been playing more than she did as after Turner was hurt, she played very well and seemed to me to have warranted more playing time. Again, that is just me and what the heck do I know.
Lastly, I know the two of you have discussed Dara a bit and my view is I was happy Dara went else where to cut her own path-similar to KLS, though under very different circumstances. I know I am excited to see her play and am rooting for her. ND and UConn both seem to do very well in developing guards so as a top guard/wing, I would absolutely put both schools high on my list.

Reaction Score
So fans can't be critical on the best coaches bc he's won more than everyone else? You can make the case that you should criticize them more! He's been at the University for over 30 years and these players only get 4. It was a post about the players getting a fair shake. Maybe they are or maybe they aren't but the short answers and the demonstrative attitude is becoming a bit tacky in my opinion.

There's a fine line in college athletics between winning and losing (ie - the mens program) Maybe he can mold the group he has and teach them in practice, and keep them happy. From there I'll admit I'm wrong, unlike many posters on this board.

But all I get out of these 9 pages is

1) Geno will NEVER do wrong.

2) This board will do anything at all costs to protect Geno.

3) Trust the system.

4) Do NOT ever criticize Geno. He is the greatest.

I am a HUGE Geno fan but he's gotten especially ornery this past year and it may not work for him with this group. Or will it?

You forgot about never to criticize Justine Ward

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Last year, Muffet did not play a full complement of players and had two highly ranked players in Boley and Patberg transfer out. Likewise we see what Chennedy Carter, Evina Westbrook, Anastasia Hayes are doing as less heralded freshman than MW. We, or at least I, worry that MW and maybe others will transfer out as we have seen with Sadie Edwards, Courtney Ekmark, Dejanae Boykin, Natalie Butler and Andra Espinosa Hunter all in the past four years.

That's a lot of effort put into recruiting and you get nothing from them. I get that Geno has high standards and it has worked. I only hope his communication is resonating with the full compliment of players who see how Gabby, KLS, Pheesa, Crystal Dangerfield, Molly and Kyla have done under similar scenarios. In particular are KLS and Crystal Dangerfield, who as highly regarded prospects have blossomed in years 2/3.

Butler transferred out because the masters course that she was going to attend at UConn got discontinued, while GM had the same course.

Reaction Score
Butler transferred out because the masters course that she was going to attend at UConn got discontinued, while GM had the same course.
So if Butler was starting and playing 32 minutes and was beginning to look like a top 5 WNBA pick she still would have transferred, right?

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so putting it here is as good as anywhere I suppose....

Why did KLS and Kia play 38 mins in the UCF game today? True, UCONN didn't blow UCF away, but equally true was that going into the 4th it was pretty clear that the game was in the bag. As it turned out, I really felt that fatigue set in with both of these players as the game progressed in the 4th (even Geno admitted in the post game conference that they were a but tired). Did Geno really have so little faith in the bench's ability to protect a 28 pts. lead to such an extent that in a game like this he couldn't cut, say, 5 mins each from KLS and Kia and redistribute the 10 mins to others for them to gain more than garbage time experience, and at the same time to protect the health of 2 of the teams most valuable assets?

Just soliciting thoughts rather than questioning Geno's decision.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the 4th quarter? UCF put up 17 points and UConn went like 7 minutes without scoring. The bench players looked like chickens running around with their heads chopped off. It was embarrassing. I can't see how the coaching staff can have any confidence in them.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so putting it here is as good as anywhere I suppose....

Why did KLS and Kia play 38 mins in the UCF game today? True, UCONN didn't blow UCF away, but equally true was that going into the 4th it was pretty clear that the game was in the bag. As it turned out, I really felt that fatigue set in with both of these players as the game progressed in the 4th (even Geno admitted in the post game conference that they were a but tired). Did Geno really have so little faith in the bench's ability to protect a 28 pts. lead to such an extent that in a game like this he couldn't cut, say, 5 mins each from KLS and Kia and redistribute the 10 mins to others for them to gain more than garbage time experience, and at the same time to protect the health of 2 of the teams most valuable assets?

Just soliciting thoughts rather than questioning Geno's decision.

But you are questioning Geno's decisions.

Reaction Score
Did you see how they handled full court pressure in the fourth with starters in do u really think the bench would have been equal or better

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Well if the coveted post players are not going to UConn or Notre Dame, where are they going? UConn and ND are two of the most prestigious WCBB programs in the country, coached by two of the best ever. Why are they having such a hard time (lately) getting BIGS to commit? :eek:

Working HARD is GONE !! Entitlement Constant entertainment while doing NOTHING is the new "Way it is" !
Sweating and getting tired is A thing of the past except at UCONN !

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, neither could anyone for Kiah. Perhaps what we see with Kiah is her potential offensively. As for Charde again, water finds its own level.
I thought about adding the caveat "if it's actually in there".

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well that one is fairly easy. He's even admitted he never could get through to her. But then even some of her teammates had trouble getting through to her. And she was one of my favorite Huskies.

Charde Houston.

He couldn't get the offensive Kiah Stokes out either.
Heather Buck

Reaction Score
Did you watch the 4th quarter? UCF put up 17 points and UConn went like 7 minutes without scoring. The bench players looked like chickens running around with their heads chopped off. It was embarrassing. I can't see how the coaching staff can have any confidence in them.

A product of the coaching. If the bench players aren't ready by mid February what makes you think they'll be ready by November.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom