Development of incoming freshman | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
If NC had even a decent to good game we would have won.
Or if Saniya hadn't panicked (I am not blaming her, just adding to the "what ifs"), or...
Plus I love how the thread has swerved and also would love a page 11

Reaction Score
Would have, could have, should have. In a game decided by 1 basket in OT, there’s literally 100 different plays that could have changed the outcome. 1 more FT in regulation and the Huskies win. Laying it all on Pheesa is unfair and incorrect.

Unfair to u perhaps but NC played at such a high level all season and was probably having the best season of any husky certainly statically. Of course with a one point game you can point to anything from a missed layup to missed free throws etc. That being said NC had her worst game of the year at the most crucial time. Sorry it hurts to type it but it's true. If she has a typical NC game it's only IMHO we win. I have the right to my opinion. We can agree to disagree

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Megan Walker, who averages 16.1 minutes, played six and Mikayla Coombs, who averaged 6.8, played three, neither playing in the second half. “It wasn’t a decision at all,” Auriemma said. “They weren’t ready to go. I don’t know whether they were ill or sick, I don’t know, but they weren’t ready to play. It’s not a mystery.” UConn coaches appeared unhappy with fundamental lapses, such as not calling out screens

From the Courant. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjo_vzY0I7ZAhVjjlQKHYzOBoYQqQIIKCgAMAA&url=http://www.courant.com/plus/hc-sp-uconn-women-notebook-cincinnati-0205-story.html&usg=AOvVaw0Q--bw4aUSV01gTFYOq1sM
Meg failed to call out a screen that could have gotten Kia badly hurt. Geno was irate after that. I'm not sure what Mikayla did, other than 2 poor passes that led to TOs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Have you ever played a competitive sport before? What sport brings out the best in you by ONLY practicing?
I agree with you that practice is not sufficient. But what Geno and many here are saying is that, if the players don't do well in practice, they are almost certainly not going to do well in games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfair to u perhaps but NC played at such a high level all season and was probably having the best season of any husky certainly statically. Of course with a one point game you can point to anything from a missed layup to missed free throws etc. That being said NC had her worst game of the year at the most crucial time. Sorry it hurts to type it but it's true. If she has a typical NC game it's only IMHO we win. I have the right to my opinion. We can agree to disagree
No doubt Pheesa did not have her best game vs MS St. But teams win games and teams lose games. If someone is having an off night, the rest of the team has to pick her up.

Case in point. The 1st game of last season at FSU, Gabby got into early foul trouble and was not a factor, Kia was wilting under the pressure of trying to run the offense for the first time at UConn and the bench was nonexistent. The Huskies could have lost had it not been for Pheesa and Saniya stepping up with tremendous games.

Geno has stated that the main reason UConn lost to MS St was because the Huskies did not force the tempo on defense, allowing the Bulldogs to run their offense and control the pace of the game. Geno takes responsibility for that decision as does his Associate HC. CD, who put together the “Scout” for the game, has said it was her fault.

The coaches job is to put the team in position to win. The coaches came up a little short vs MS St.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This freshman class has underwhelmed because of the "lessons" Geno tries to teach. He is making a mistake with how he uses his top recruits. Sure, winning by 30+ ppg is nice, but seeing the development of the players that will carry the torch for your program is more important. We will see more transfers in large bunches if Geno does not relax with this approach. Quite frankly it's obnoxious.

Breaking down your players for your own benefit is dangerous to the long term future of the program. The fans came to see the teamwork, camraderie, and effortless flow. They did not go to watch Geno. Or better yet hear about their deficiencies. Teach them and let them play, who cares if they fail. But let them play basketball and show their natural skillsets over National TV.

Play your Freshman, Geno.
Eleven (11) National Championships, Women's Basketball HOF & Naismith Basketball HOF <> Enough Said !!!

Reaction Score
I don't understand why this thread is still happening. If the coaches don't like what they see in practice or during a game the freshman will sit. End of story.

I do understand the fun of speculation... Head bang

Reaction Score
Yea what the heck happened to Pmac923 anyway?? No posts in the last few pages?
I can answer that. He was busy at work yesterday.
Also, he has received several PMs from BYers that he is AEH herself advising (her) to move on...crazy.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed reading your thoughts on coaching philosophy and abusive coaches. Every coach, from day 1 establishes what they will accept, and what they won’t- players read the coach much the same as you read your parents when they said be home by midnight. You knew whether that meant midnight or
1:00 am. and whether the consequences were severe enough not to take the chance of making the wrong choice. There are different types of mistakes in basketball- physical mistakes which every player makes (missing shots, bad passes, etc.) which are part of the game, and most coaches, Geno included, don’t sub players out for unless they are repetitive. The other mistakes are mental mistakes or “heart”mistakes, which are not part of the game and will usually land you a spot on the “motivator” (bench) in a rapid fashion. For most players one or two applications of that is enough to clearly know where the line is, and decide it’s not worth crossing, since these mistakes are within their control.

You asked if “suicides” might be considered abusive. Had an athlete once show up late to practice because of a disciplinary issue- when the assistants explained why (a definite heart mistake) we sat them on a chair in the center circle, gave them a water, and let all their teammates exercise with sprints. That player faced a great deal of peer pressure to never let it happen again, & it didn’t. Haven’t had to use that since, and maybe that would be considered abuse now. Maybe your world is different, but the biggest factors changing coaching in my world are social media, AAU basketball, and just the changes in overall society you referenced. I’m probably not entitled to my opinion either, and it’s only worth what it’s costing you to get it.
Twolf - Thanks for your response. I agree wholeheartedly. We are experiencing the same world and at times it is disappointing. Your post was more of a reflection of your experiences--real life--and they carry weight. An opinion can many times be empty and totally disconnected from the "authentic situation." I am with you friend.

Reaction Score
Glad you chimed in PhillyCoach. I have to agree with the overwhelming majority of what you've said. Spot on stuff. Yet,
Here we part ways. I do believe everyone is entitled to an opinion. The phrase, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" isn't a current or PC phrase, but originally stated by Evelyn Beatrice Hall in her biography of Voltaire completed in 1906. It is a phrase I have always subscribed to. It doesn't mean every opinion has validity though. Not at all. I also subscribe to the phrase, "First consider the source". Yes, some opinions should be kept to ourselves. But we live in a time where freedom of speech is mistaken for liberty of speech, which is not the same. Nor can such a liberty, under most every and any auspices, exist.
JordyG - Thanks for the insight. As an open minded person (as I see you too) I have taken what you said and I agree. Yes, lets defend the right to speak, however, we can't forget the second part of "consider the source." It seems to me that's where the rub is. Geno as the source and Joe Shmoe as a source can be seen as equal in too many cases today.
Always like your posts. Thanks for shedding some light on my thoughts. I consider the source to be principled and true.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I think there’s a limit to how many times someone can attempt to defend an indefensible position and get wacked in the head for doing so...figuratively speaking. :confused:
It's worked on me in multiple threads...;)

Reaction Score
Being NPOY with all the other accolades earned at the HS level IMO means nothing once you get to college. Chances are you didn't have to play a lick of defense depending on what HS you went to. Your HS coach wanted to win and the best player got the ball in their hands all the time. And Mom and Dad might have been the unwanted baggage in the kids duffle bag with sideline coaching and bad mouthing coaches and AD's. You certainly don't train in HS at the level you would train in college and lets face it unless parents were paying for outside training you did what the school offered. Some of these kids get to the college level and are shell shocked. You become the little fish in the big pond and might think you'll be the freshmen difference maker. Not happening at UCONN that's for sure! I've been watching for a few years now and the difference between freshmen/sophomore season is huge. Most get it and do better some it takes longer. Some (not many) are even satisfied with being on a winning team and helping where they can knowing they will never start and get very few minutes. Ask the walk on's Pulido and Lawlor. They had every opportunity to walk off and didn't!. Go Huskies!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I really wasn't thinking about it in terms of losses, just a comment on how like Muffet, Geno has had a hard time recruiting posts. I suppose you would have to count Griner because she graduated in 2013 I believe.

Well if the coveted post players are not going to UConn or Notre Dame, where are they going? UConn and ND are two of the most prestigious WCBB programs in the country, coached by two of the best ever. Why are they having such a hard time (lately) getting BIGS to commit? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Well if the coveted post players are not going to UConn or Notre Dame, where are they going? ND and ND are two of the most prestigious WCBB programs in the country, coached by two of the best ever, why?

the best posts lately have been coming from Texas and it is quite difficult to get them to leave the state when they can stay home and play for Texas or Baylor..............next group of bigs are coming from different parts of the country including New York (DeBerry) and Massachusetts (Boston)...........hopefully those recruits want to stay in the Northeast to play...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yea what the heck happened to Pmac923 anyway?? No posts in the last few pages?
:eek: Did you forget that you hit the ignore button for him or her?
Lol you weren't the only one.:D

Reaction Score
:eek: Did you forget that you hit the ignore button for him or her?
Lol you weren't the only one.:D
Sometimes I would like to put posters on ignore but don't. You need to read all views no matter how crazy they are.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Well if the coveted post players are not going to UConn or Notre Dame, where are they going? ND and ND are two of the most prestigious WCBB programs in the country, coached by two of the best ever, why?
Geno does not have a hard time recruiting post players. He has recruited quite a few of them. He recently has had a fairly hard time of getting them to commit to UCONN.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
the best posts lately have been coming from Texas and it is quite difficult to get them to leave the state when they can stay home and play for Texas or Baylor....next group of bigs are coming from different parts of the country including New York (DeBerry) and Massachusetts (Boston)......hopefully those recruits want to stay in the Northeast to play......

That's a trend I'd like to see adopted and continued. :cool:

Reaction Score
Geno does not have a hard time recruiting post players. He has recruited quite a few of them. He recently has had a fairly hard time of getting them to commit to UCONN.

I have a feeling the dry spell is going to end in the next couple of years.............if it doesn't then maybe there really is a problem............

Reaction Score
That's a trend I'd like to see adopted and continued. :cool:

Marshall from Christ the King is a 6'4" forward but also fits the UConn mold.............if I'm not mistaken, just one more year to graduation for the two aircraft carriers (Brown and McCowan) after that the mobile 6'4" recruits will have fewer issues to deal with

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom