Development of incoming freshman | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

Reaction Score
Just because you think that is happening, doesn't mean it is. You're projecting your own fears. You honestly think Geno and Co. haven't dealt with minute/injury issues in the past? And have no idea what they are doing? Really???? You honestly think Geno is trying to injure a player in order to spite another??? Really???

I don't remember saying any of that.................first the fact that Crystal can't even practice during the week and had to skip a game tells me that it's far more then a "nagging" injury..................Gabby spent a whole lot of time grimacing the past couple of games and has clearly lost a bit of her mobility...............if she wasn't a fantastically gifted athlete and tough as nails she'd probably be sitting games out too.................KLS is one stepped on foot or twisted ankle away from missing multiple games which has already happened this season................these aren't your typical bumps and bruises............I don't give a darn about how banged up other teams are...............I'm a UConn fan that has a fundamental disagreement with how these kids are being handled...............when injured players are on the court with a 30-40 point lead in in the last minutes of the third quarter I think that's down right crazy...............I know most here worship at the altar of Geno as do I but in my ever so humble opinion he's got to get these kids some rest before the real season starts........

Reaction Score
Amen to that. He has high school all-americans sitting on his bench that he won't play because he says they are not ready. How do you get ready if you don't get game experience? He praised Irwin for her play yesterday. When she gets minutes she plays well, but he determines how long she plays. Walker did not play in the second half because "she wasn't ready to play", according to Geno. What does that even mean?
So they don't play games and game type situations in practice?

Reaction Score
How did it work out the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that:rolleyes:

I view every year as different when it comes to the severity of injuries and their impact on the team ............ did Geno ever go to his bench in the year before that and the year before that and the year before that?

Reaction Score
I can't believe this thread got to 9 pages. And I can't bring myself to catch up and find out how.

do the posters on your forum think MM can do no wrong? You post anything contrary to the status quo on the BY and you get spanked around here...............I just happen to enjoy stirring things up when I think there may be another way......................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I don't remember saying any of that.......first the fact that Crystal can't even practice during the week and had to skip a game tells me that it's far more then a "nagging" injury...Gabby spent a whole lot of time grimacing the past couple of games and has clearly lost a bit of her mobility.....if she wasn't a fantastically gifted athlete and tough as nails she'd probably be sitting games out too.......KLS is one stepped on foot or twisted ankle away from missing multiple games which has already happened this season......these aren't your typical bumps and bruises..I don't give a darn about how banged up other teams are.....I'm a UConn fan that has a fundamental disagreement with how these kids are being handled.....when injured players are on the court with a 30-40 point lead in in the last minutes of the third quarter I think that's down right crazy.....I know most here worship at the altar of Geno as do I but in my ever so humble opinion he's got to get these kids some rest before the real season starts...

It's not Geno decision if they can play or not? The medical staff and players are the ones determining if they can play. The players also want to play.

The fact that Crystal sat out kind of refutes your own argument. Why wasn't Geno forcing her to play?

Saying "KLS is one stepped on foot or twisted ankle away from missing multiple games" doesn't have much meaning. It could happen, but it could also not happen.

I get it though. You think Geno is wrong to play them to prevent injuries. I think since he is closer to the program, has experienced professionals on his staff to evaluate injuries and knows the level the team needs to reach to win an NC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
do the posters on your forum think MM can do no wrong? You post anything contrary to the status quo on the BY and you get spanked around here.....I just happen to enjoy stirring things up when I think there may be another way.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:
baby.gif

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
do the posters on your forum think MM can do no wrong?

No, and I scoff at them, too.

Their particular mania is Muffet's supposed inability to recruit posts. Somehow, Achonwa, Turner, Westbeld, and Shepard (as a transfer) don't count.

In this scenario, we see it year after year. Geno gives the freshman tough love and they either shape up or ship out. Most of them shape up and do so quite nicely.

Actually, ND are in a similar situation with Danielle Patterson. She is not playing much despite ND's short bench. She's just not ready yet. She will play when she is.

Reaction Score
You don't learn from practicing all day. You learn from playing the sport 5 on 5 vs. real competition.

Are you saying there is no competition for them in practice? Head bang

Reaction Score
It's not Geno decision if they can play or not? The medical staff and players are the ones determining if they can play. The players also want to play.

The fact that Crystal sat out kind of refutes your own argument. Why wasn't Geno forcing her to play?

Saying "KLS is one stepped on foot or twisted ankle away from missing multiple games" doesn't have much meaning. It could happen, but it could also not happen.

I get it though. You think Geno is wrong to play them to prevent injuries. I think since he is closer to the program, has experienced professionals on his staff to evaluate injuries and knows the level the team needs to reach to win an NC.

At no time did I ever say Geno was forcing injured kids to play..............knowing how competitive these kids are I think they'd drag themselves out there with broken legs given the opportunity...............I'm simply pointing out that he plays them more then he needs to in games that are long over..............I agree in KLS's case it's a bit more problematic but I would think every minute she doesn't need to be out there against a team like UCF for instance is a good thing...........I don't know this for a fact but it seems the less talented the opponent the more likely one of our players is to get injured..............regarding Crystal, I was refuting the view that she had a "nagging injury"...................you know how important Geno views practices............for Crystal to miss every practice tells me she's got a pretty serious issue that can only be cured with rest...............I'd certainly keep her out of the UCF game and see how she feels for Louisville..............it seems to me some folks here view any variance from Geno's doctrine as a sacrilege.............on rare occasion I think there may be a slightly different path so I guess I'll just have to deal with that.............

Reaction Score
No, and I scoff at them, too.

Their particular mania is Muffet's supposed inability to recruit posts. Somehow, Achonwa, Turner, Westbeld, and Shepard (as a transfer) don't count.

In this scenario, we see it year after year. Geno gives the freshman tough love and they either shape up or ship out. Most of them shape up and do so quite nicely.

Actually, ND are in a similar situation with Danielle Patterson. She is not playing much despite ND's short bench. She's just not ready yet. She will play when she is.
So... just like Geno? UConn hasn't recruited a true post since Dolson in 2010 and Kiah in 2011.

Reaction Score
So... just like Geno? UConn hasn't recruited a true post since Dolson in 2010 and Kiah in 2011.

there's a pretty good 6'4"-6'5" recruit coming in next year and he just lost another one to mother nature................even Geno can't fool with her.................

Reaction Score
there's a pretty good 6'4"-6'5" recruit coming in next year and he just lost another one to mother nature......even Geno can't fool with her.......
Yeah I know, but that's a long drought between Stef and ONO (8 years) while the Texas teams seem to grow them on trees.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah I know, but that's a long drought between Stef and ONO (8 years) while the Texas teams seem to grow them on trees.
But in those 8 years isn't UCONN "undefeated" against all the post players that UCONN lost out on? Unless you are including Griner in the bunch?

Reaction Score
But in those 8 years isn't UCONN "undefeated" against all the post players that UCONN lost out on? Unless you are including Griner in the bunch?
I really wasn't thinking about it in terms of losses, just a comment on how like Muffet, Geno has had a hard time recruiting posts. I suppose you would have to count Griner because she graduated in 2013 I believe.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't remember saying any of that
Well you did.
.first the fact that Crystal can't even practice during the week and had to skip a game tells me that it's far more then a "nagging" injury....
So you are now saying Geno IS handling the minutes/injuries. ??? Make up your mind.

AND

That Nagging Shin Pain…The Good, The Bad and The Ugly | Orthopedic One
Shin Splints: A Guide to that Nagging Leg Pain
Shin splints, a nagging injury that doesn't have to sideline exercise

Kinda seems to be considered a "nagging" injury, huh?

KLS is one stepped on foot or twisted ankle away from missing multiple games .
So are all the freshmen.
I'm a UConn fan that has a fundamental disagreement with how these kids are being handled
So you are saying...
Geno and Co. have no idea what they are doing. And you honestly think Geno is trying to injure a player in order to spite another.

So really we can either trust Geno and Co. (Asst. coaches, trainers, medical personnel) who've been handling players for 30+ years while dealing with injuries and minutes, OR we can believe you know what you're talking about? Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. :confused:

Reaction Score
I really wasn't thinking about it in terms of losses, just a comment on how like Muffet, Geno has had a hard time recruiting posts. I suppose you would have to count Griner because she graduated in 2013 I believe.

I think in Geno's case even the posts have to be capable of handling multiple positions on the floor and there aren't many big posts that can do that.............I wonder whether Geno would be happy to have Brown from Baylor or McCowan from Miss State on his team or would they just slow down the works?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think in Geno's case even the posts have to be capable of handling multiple positions on the floor and there aren't many big posts that can do that...I wonder whether Geno would be happy to have Brown from Baylor or McCowan from Miss State on his team or would they just slow down the works?

Brown was a UConn target at one point. If I'm not mistaken, there was a photo of her and Geno on a home visit. Don't know who dropped whom.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of with Charlieball on this one. If it were my team, I'd start sitting some kids big time. Obviously it depends on the opponent, but in most of these AAC games, the opponent is never going to beat UConn even in their dreams, so I think if you can avoid playing Crystal and Gabby you do it, and limit Lou to 20 minutes, and no Collier beyond the 3rd quarter TV TO. We should really use our built-in advantage of playing in the AAC. If we're stuck in this conference and accused of being able to do what P5 teams can't (rest their starters), we might as well actually do it. What if next time Lou gets decked in the eye, her eyeball pops out and she's done for the season?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom