Development of incoming freshman | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I really wasn't thinking about it in terms of losses, just a comment on how like Muffet, Geno has had a hard time recruiting posts. I suppose you would have to count Griner because she graduated in 2013 I believe.
Looking back it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Some good -great players UCONN missed out on but none on this list (maybe Griner) was an obstacle to a UCONN title so far.
upload_2018-2-6_16-3-37.png

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't remember saying any of that.......first the fact that Crystal can't even practice during the week and had to skip a game tells me that it's far more then a "nagging" injury...Gabby spent a whole lot of time grimacing the past couple of games and has clearly lost a bit of her mobility.....if she wasn't a fantastically gifted athlete and tough as nails she'd probably be sitting games out too.......KLS is one stepped on foot or twisted ankle away from missing multiple games which has already happened this season......these aren't your typical bumps and bruises..I don't give a darn about how banged up other teams are.....I'm a UConn fan that has a fundamental disagreement with how these kids are being handled.....when injured players are on the court with a 30-40 point lead in in the last minutes of the third quarter I think that's down right crazy.....I know most here worship at the altar of Geno as do I but in my ever so humble opinion he's got to get these kids some rest before the real season starts...
Geno has already said the Lou is going to have the ankle injury for the rest of the season and until they have surgery on it. Lou wants to play and the medical staff has said that nothing can be done about it without surgery and if it happens she will not be ready until after the season is over with. Does that mean you want her to sit the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
I agree when it is something important. These are college sports discussions. Hardly earth shattering. Geno is not a God. A very talent and successful coach who is not infallible which he, himself, has pointed out on numerous occasions. How serious he was on those occasions I don't know.:)
Coaching WBB Geno is as close to God as it gets. :cool:

Reaction Score
I'm kind of with Charlieball on this one. If it were my team, I'd start sitting some kids big time. Obviously it depends on the opponent, but in most of these AAC games, the opponent is never going to beat UConn even in their dreams, so I think if you can avoid playing Crystal and Gabby you do it, and limit Lou to 20 minutes, and no Collier beyond the 3rd quarter TV TO. We should really use our built-in advantage of playing in the AAC. If we're stuck in this conference and accused of being able to do what P5 teams can't (rest their starters), we might as well actually do it. What if next time Lou gets decked in the eye, her eyeball pops out and she's done for the season?

And I'm with you and Charlieball. But even if Geno wanted to rest them, he would have to play Walker and Coombs. And the way he seems to feel about them at the moment, that isn't going to happen. They are not responding the way he wants them to-end of story. So no rest for the weary and/or injured. And no real game experience for Walker and Coombs, in front of thousands of people, which, in my mind , is a whole lot different than practice. There is one thing, though, that even he can't control, and that is foul trouble, against someone like Louisville, but, more importantly, in the tournament. Kyla and Molly are great kids, but........

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We have met the enemy and they are us....guess no more second floor rooms either. Forget about crossing the street...only Freshman from now on can walk outside w/o cotton wool since we won’t need them til next year.

Reaction Score
Geno has already said the Lou is going to have the ankle injury for the rest of the season and until they have surgery on it. Lou wants to play and the medical staff has said that nothing can be done about it without surgery and if it happens she will not be ready until after the season is over with. Does that mean you want her to sit the rest of the season.
When did Geno say Lou was going to have surgery? Her injury dates back to her high school days, and is a chronic one that doesn't sound like something surgery can fix.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
When did Geno say Lou was going to have surgery? Her injury dates back to her high school days, and is a chronic one that doesn't sound like something surgery can fix.
Geno said that the only way to fix the ankle problem is to have surgery, he didn't say when or if she was going to have it. The ankle surgery would most likely take her out for 2 months.

Reaction Score
This thread is the epitome of what Geno has talked about for the last few years. The culture is changing in a direction that does not make coaching fun. Many players have a mindset that is not conducive to Geno's proven methods. (Can you say Old School.) In addition, the general population has been influenced by the PC culture--everybody gets a trophy and everybody should have an equal outcome of playing time. Many on this board know the voices of concern are getting louder and louder about "abusive coaches." If you drive your players too much that could be abuse to some people. How about suicide drills as punishment for a missed play? Geno sees and hears all this and IMHO, that is the number one determining factor for his retirement. It's not fun anymore. Spending time changing a players mindset is a short term thing.

On top of that part of the problem let's add the philosophy that "everybody has a right to an opinion." Big can of worms. Flip side of everyone gets a trophy. YOU DESERVE IT! Why? Because that is the prevailing PC view.
Sorry, I don't agree. Hey, that is my opinion. I could go into thousands of examples that one does not get an opinion. My good friend has a great saying on this--"When you want to learn something about an important topic, go to someone who knows nothing about it." That encapsulates the thought of "we all have an opinion" and I guess the opinions are equal.

Many of the best posters (IMO) are the old school philosophers. Tried, but true. Proven results. Virtual reality is phony. Let's get real. In my old neighborhood, the smart ones would only open their mouths when they had something of value to share. Of course, there were always some empty barrels. IMHO, some opinions should be kept to themselves. But, I guess everyone today has a right to show what they really know. Just my opinion-ha!

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on coaching philosophy and abusive coaches. Every coach, from day 1 establishes what they will accept, and what they won’t- players read the coach much the same as you read your parents when they said be home by midnight. You knew whether that meant midnight or
1:00 am. and whether the consequences were severe enough not to take the chance of making the wrong choice. There are different types of mistakes in basketball- physical mistakes which every player makes (missing shots, bad passes, etc.) which are part of the game, and most coaches, Geno included, don’t sub players out for unless they are repetitive. The other mistakes are mental mistakes or “heart”mistakes, which are not part of the game and will usually land you a spot on the “motivator” (bench) in a rapid fashion. For most players one or two applications of that is enough to clearly know where the line is, and decide it’s not worth crossing, since these mistakes are within their control.

You asked if “suicides” might be considered abusive. Had an athlete once show up late to practice because of a disciplinary issue- when the assistants explained why (a definite heart mistake) we sat them on a chair in the center circle, gave them a water, and let all their teammates exercise with sprints. That player faced a great deal of peer pressure to never let it happen again, & it didn’t. Haven’t had to use that since, and maybe that would be considered abuse now. Maybe your world is different, but the biggest factors changing coaching in my world are social media, AAU basketball, and just the changes in overall society you referenced. I’m probably not entitled to my opinion either, and it’s only worth what it’s costing you to get it.

Reaction Score

I understand that she may never be 100% this year................in fact she may never be 100% for the rest of her career but just like a starting pitcher in baseball has a pitch count even when uninjured, I want her to play meaningful minutes and then get the hell off of the court...............seems like common sense to me but apparently others disagree which is OK...........

Reaction Score
Yeah I know, but that's a long drought between Stef and ONO (8 years) while the Texas teams seem to grow them on trees.

that's an unfortunate geographic anomaly which may change in the next few years if you look at the '19-21' classes............ironically Tennessee seems to be one of the next big hot spots for WBB talent............go figure.......

Reaction Score
Well you did.

So you are now saying Geno IS handling the minutes/injuries. ??? Make up your mind.

AND

That Nagging Shin Pain…The Good, The Bad and The Ugly | Orthopedic One
Shin Splints: A Guide to that Nagging Leg Pain
Shin splints, a nagging injury that doesn't have to sideline exercise

Kinda seems to be considered a "nagging" injury, huh?

So are all the freshmen.

So you are saying...
Geno and Co. have no idea what they are doing. And you honestly think Geno is trying to injure a player in order to spite another.

So really we can either trust Geno and Co. (Asst. coaches, trainers, medical personnel) who've been handling players for 30+ years while dealing with injuries and minutes, OR we can believe you know what you're talking about? Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. :confused:

I'm going to take the gentleman's route and step out of this particular thread before things get out of hand............I bow to your perseverance and your loyalty to the UConn cause...............I may be wrong but think we want the same thing in the end............another national championship, I'm just taking a slightly different tack to get there...............

Reaction Score
I think it's really tricky for bigs and UConn. There aren't many good bigs to begin with and UConn plays a brand of basketball where the bigs have to be quite mobile, get in a stance for defense, switch on defense, and have a serviceable 3 pt shot. Oh and be a good passer, student, and teammate. That is how you get an 8 year drought....the criteria is tough.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it's really tricky for bigs and UConn. There aren't many good bigs to begin with and UConn plays a brand of basketball where the bigs have to be quite mobile, get in a stance for defense, switch on defense, and have a serviceable 3 pt shot. Oh and be a good passer, student, and teammate. That is how you get an 8 year drought....the criteria is tough.
Agree with just about all the requirements you list, with the possible exception of the ability to shoot 3's. Relative to the 8 year drought, are you not counting Kiah and Stewie as BIGS?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This thread is the epitome of what Geno has talked about for the last few years. The culture is changing in a direction that does not make coaching fun. Many players have a mindset that is not conducive to Geno's proven methods. (Can you say Old School.) In addition, the general population has been influenced by the PC culture--everybody gets a trophy and everybody should have an equal outcome of playing time. Many on this board know the voices of concern are getting louder and louder about "abusive coaches." If you drive your players too much that could be abuse to some people. How about suicide drills as punishment for a missed play? Geno sees and hears all this and IMHO, that is the number one determining factor for his retirement. It's not fun anymore. Spending time changing a players mindset is a short term thing.

On top of that part of the problem let's add the philosophy that "everybody has a right to an opinion." Big can of worms. Flip side of everyone gets a trophy. YOU DESERVE IT! Why? Because that is the prevailing PC view.
Sorry, I don't agree. Hey, that is my opinion. I could go into thousands of examples that one does not get an opinion. My good friend has a great saying on this--"When you want to learn something about an important topic, go to someone who knows nothing about it." That encapsulates the thought of "we all have an opinion" and I guess the opinions are equal.

Many of the best posters (IMO) are the old school philosophers. Tried, but true. Proven results. Virtual reality is phony. Let's get real. In my old neighborhood, the smart ones would only open their mouths when they had something of value to share. Of course, there were always some empty barrels. IMHO, some opinions should be kept to themselves. But, I guess everyone today has a right to show what they really know. Just my opinion-ha!
Glad you chimed in PhillyCoach. I have to agree with the overwhelming majority of what you've said. Spot on stuff. Yet,
Here we part ways. I do believe everyone is entitled to an opinion. The phrase, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" isn't a current or PC phrase, but originally stated by Evelyn Beatrice Hall in her biography of Voltaire completed in 1906. It is a phrase I have always subscribed to. It doesn't mean every opinion has validity though. Not at all. I also subscribe to the phrase, "First consider the source". Yes, some opinions should be kept to ourselves. But we live in a time where freedom of speech is mistaken for liberty of speech, which is not the same. Nor can such a liberty, under most every and any auspices, exist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bench had nothing to do with losing last year. THEY MISSED SHOTS.
do you think it's possible they missed some of those shots due to fatigue from logging too many minutes in that game? That is a pretty common phenomenon in college basketball........Collier 36 minutes, Gabby 44 minutes, KLS 45 minutes, Saniya 42 minutes, Nurse 35 minutes..........would they have shot better with a stronger bench soaking up a few more minutes...........we'll never know for sure........... hope we don't have to answer that same question this season...........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't learn from practicing all day. You learn from playing the sport 5 on 5 vs. real competition.
No personal attack here Pmac923 but a very big difference of opinion. :) Please take note of the level of ball being discussed here. This is not AAU or high school any more. You are addressing one of the most if not the most elite programs in the country at this time and you know more than the coaching staff? Head bang

You recruited them to play.
Ahh yes they were recruited to play when ready to do so.....;)

Comparing amateur athletics to a surgeon seems a bit irresponsible.
Not sure how any comparison is irresponsible if a point is made. Gosh darn golly gee your comparing UConn to rec league where everyone should play!

Have you ever played a competitive sport before? What sport brings out the best in you by ONLY practicing?
EVERY sport brings out the best in a player by practicing. Who would think for a moment Geno would put a player in a game telling them, "I'm going to put you in tonight to learn your drop step, and by the way work on your rebounding while in there". "Oh and don't forget to try that boxing out thing" . ??????
See the level being commented on here............again.

Don't worry all is well in Husky Land. He'll win his 35+ games every year and win many more championships. Just a quick thought that maybe when you're up 55+ points against a bottom feeder team maybe it's a good opportunity to use your high school National Player of the Year and teach. [mod edit: transfer speculation]
National player of the year you mention is averaging 16 minutes a game. This on the number one team in the nation with a very key-a :D person graduating this year.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/teamcume.html#TEAM.TEM
I think her practice and patience is a virtue this season along with that of the staff.

Reaction Score
No I'm going to hell for reading all 10 pages of this thread. Head bang

it's funny you said that...........I was contemplating using those very same words in one of my earlier posts..............:rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
do you think it's possible they missed some of those shots due to fatigue from logging too many minutes in that game? That is a pretty common phenomenon in college basketball...Collier 36 minutes, Gabby 44 minutes, KLS 45 minutes, Saniya 42 minutes, Nurse 35 minutes.....would they have shot better with a stronger bench soaking up a few more minutes......we'll never know for sure...... hope we don't have to answer that same question this season......
No. They missed shots in the first half.
So playing excessive minutes in December and January makes you tired in April?
So you are going to play your bench instead of your best players in the national semifinal game? REALLY???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If NC had even a decent to good game we would have won.
Would have, could have, should have. In a game decided by 1 basket in OT, there’s literally 100 different plays that could have changed the outcome. 1 more FT in regulation and the Huskies win. Laying it all on Pheesa is unfair and incorrect.

Reaction Score
No. They missed shots in the first half.
So playing excessive minutes in December and January makes you tired in April?
So you are going to play your bench instead of your best players in the national semifinal game? REALLY???

Not as much from earlier in the season but how about the prior games in the Tournament? I think they shot poorly in both halves and 43.5 percent for the game with only 12 points in the fourth quarter.................Mississippi State's bench logged 53 minutes to UConn's 21 minutes............feel free to disagree but to me everything counts..........they lost that game because of lack of confidence as Geno has said, a really tough and determined opponent and the lack of superior bench strength..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom