Death penalty impact? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Death penalty impact?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I think the fact that this is Louisville and not UNC or Texas or some other program people actually care about is also important. If this was Texas or Kansas, I would say there is a 10% chance of a death penalty. Louisville is expendable.
Another interpretation is that Louisville is a big program, so WKU should be very, very, nervous.

Someone will pay.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Another interpretation is that Louisville is a big program, so WKU should be very, very, nervous.

Someone will pay.

The NCAA will look ridiculous if they do their normal deflection. Someone big is going to have to get cut down. The two questions are 1) Who?, and 2) how far is down?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
1) The NCAA has to give Louisville the death penalty. The NCAA's reputation is on the line. That's not a joke. No one respects the NCAA right now, but if the death penalty isn't given, the NCAA will no longer be able to justify its existence. It may disappear.

2) The ACC will not kick out Louisville, and Louisville will survive. But we'll enjoy watching them squirm for several years.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I thought the death penalty was two years. Isn't that what SMU got?
SMU's penalty was no football in 1987 and no home games in 1988.

SMU decided to not play in 1988 instead of only playing a short schedule with only away games. I was a grad student there at that time.

SMU was paying some players about $200 per month. From what I read about Louisville, one player got $100,000 and one got $150,000. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to know if the FBI is done or whether this is just to start making deals with witnesses for favorable plea bargains.

Coaches, ADs, Presidents, shoe company executives all could be looking at incarceration.

This very well could be the end of the contrivance that is NCAA amateurism. I would be surprised if coaches are just fired and slip off to the NBA. Conference reorganization 2.0 maybe coming.

Reaction Score
I doubt there will be a Death Penalty.

But I had this thought: I believe this investigation is three years old. Three years ago, coach McGee was still providing hookers to players and recruits. I always wondered where that money came from....who fronted that cash. Wouldn't it be funny if the funding came from Addidas? Or better yet, from Addidas through Quick.....

Wonder if the feds will interview McGee.....

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Louisville is on the verge of the death penalty because of the timing of all of this. Practice is supposed to start next week. I don't think they can hire an interm coach until Pitino is fired. Right he's unpaid administrative leave. Jurick is on paid administrative leave. There is a supposed 10 day clause in Pitino's contract that needs to be honored. There are already questions about the board overstepping its bounds.

As to the NCAA and Emmert, they are run by the university/ college presidents and boards, I believe. The financial take for the NCAA last year was close to $1 billion dollars. Does the NCAA put themselves in peril by doing nothing significant? Or do they step up and give the death penalty to Louisville? Their credibility is on the line or at least what's left of it. If they chicken out, it may be the end of the NCAA as we know it.

We don't know all the FBI has in evidence. When it is all known, the NCAA may have no choice.

Reaction Score

SMU decided to not play in 1988 instead of only playing a short schedule with only away games. I was a grad student there at that time.

SMU was paying some players about $200 per month. From what I read about Louisville, one player got $100,000 and one got $150,000. Unbelievable.
i think they also we banned from television for 1-2 years. UL should get something comparable. No team for a year. 18 game schedule for 2 more and no NCAA for 5.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
and it ain't about having "balls" either that stuff just ain't done
Meh. Too soon and too direct. Their are ways to broach it more diplomatically when the timing is right.

CL82

Reaction Score

That's the thing isn't it. With all the defections from 'villes recruiting class, they've already had a death penalty of sorts.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's the thing isn't it. With all the defections from 'villes recruiting class, they've already had a death penalty of sorts.
Given how long the feds will drag this out the NCAA will probably be prevented from taking any action for quite some time. Louisville and any of the named programs are indeed taking a hit as if they received the death penalty because decent players will avoid going to these programs until things are finally sorted out.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The NCAA will look ridiculous if they do their normal deflection. Someone big is going to have to get cut down. The two questions are 1) Who?, and 2) how far is down?

Chicago State

Reaction Score
Best penalty for Louisville would be no scholarship athletes for a decade. Zero. As long as they are not wothout scholarships, a crooked coach like Pitino could have them back up in no time (look how quickly Penn State football has returned to national prominence). Gotta cripple the program. So ten years without a dime towards athletics.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The SMU damage was too great and I doubt we'll see a similar penalty.

I think Louisville should be very nervous about the SMU example. Every SWC school got busted for cheating at the same time as SMU. The difference with SMU was that it's cheating was more blatant, and it was deemed expendable while Texas and Texas A&M were not.

Reaction Score
I think Louisville should be very nervous about the SMU example. Every SWC school got busted for cheating at the same time as SMU. The difference with SMU was that it's cheating was more blatant, and it was deemed expendable while Texas and Texas A&M were not.
I agree, especially at a time where the NCAA is also fighting for survival. If they slap Louisville on the wrist for this, they will lose further credibility and be stripped of any power that is left.

Whats fascinating to me is that this happened in basketball. I always felt the P5 would break away in football but basketball flourished under the NCAA because of the tournament. This discovery can very well blow that up and change the landscape forever. I definitely see athletes, especially in revenue generating sports, getting compensated in the future. This is no problem for Ohio State but could be the end for schools like Villanova, St. Johns, or Providence.

Reaction Score
The SMU damage was too great and I doubt we'll see a similar penalty.
Disagree. SMU football had to completely rebuild after being shutdown for 2 years, one year self imposed as they knew they couldn't compete. What was the real death sentence for SMU football was the collapse of the SWC and the formation of the Big 12 as SMU did not get an invite.

Reaction Score
Somebody needs to explain to me how paying players would solve this problem. I suppose if you are paying them huge contracts, basically NBA level, it works but if you are paying something less or comparable to d-league wages (max +/- 26000, lowest $19500) and you get offered $150000 to go to University 6 you still take it. The second problem you have is that in deciding to pay players you have for all intents and purposes created a smallish minor league of teams that can afford to pay. Maybe 60-70. So you've ended the NCAA tournament because the MAAC champ ain't playing a pro team and it isn't paying its guys either. You also have title IX issues. Since you can't treat women differently you need to pay the women's team and if you pay football you need to pay 85-100 women too. What is the going rate for Women's rowing? It has been clear for ages now that revenues don't figure into the equation when it comes to Title IX implications. Some good ol' boys tried that 20 years ago arguing that football deserved more scholarships because it generated more revenues than women's tennis and it was shot down hard.

There are a huge number of other issues but the bottom line is that paying players doesn't begin to address the problem of illegal payments.

CL82

Reaction Score
Best penalty for Louisville would be no scholarship athletes for a decade. Zero. As long as they are not wothout scholarships, a crooked coach like Pitino could have them back up in no time (look how quickly Penn State football has returned to national prominence). Gotta cripple the program. So ten years without a dime towards athletics.
You realize that Louis-vile is pretty much an athletic department with some classrooms for compliance purposes. Killing athletics for a decade kills the school. Not that it isn't deserved.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You might as well cancel Louisville basketball forever. I mean, I want some harsh sanctions, but with no scholarships, no players are coming there. No player who can dribble a basketball is going to pay Louisville, given it's stellar academics, for the right to wear a jersey and get an 'education'.

Reaction Score
I remember in the 80s when Kentucky was in big trouble. "This will kill their programs forever." A lot of people said that. How did that work out? Louisville needs a stiff punishment. If is cripples basketball for 5 years or so, so be it. But it is an institution with a lot of fans and a deep love of sports. They would rise again.

Reaction Score
Somebody needs to explain to me how paying players would solve this problem. I suppose if you are paying them huge contracts, basically NBA level, it works but if you are paying something less or comparable to d-league wages (max +/- 26000, lowest $19500) and you get offered $150000 to go to University 6 you still take it. The second problem you have is that in deciding to pay players you have for all intents and purposes created a smallish minor league of teams that can afford to pay. Maybe 60-70. So you've ended the NCAA tournament because the MAAC champ ain't playing a pro team and it isn't paying its guys either. You also have title IX issues. Since you can't treat women differently you need to pay the women's team and if you pay football you need to pay 85-100 women too. What is the going rate for Women's rowing? It has been clear for ages now that revenues don't figure into the equation when it comes to Title IX implications. Some good ol' boys tried that 20 years ago arguing that football deserved more scholarships because it generated more revenues than women's tennis and it was shot down hard.

There are a huge number of other issues but the bottom line is that paying players doesn't begin to address the problem of illegal payments.

You are dead on correct. Paying all players any equal amount will not solve the problem, no matter how high the number is, because the players who are clearly worth more will still be valued and have actual value.

Reaction Score
End of the day, it is time for the university presidents to lead and make decisions about the future of college athletics, not the NCAA, ADs, coaches, media companies, sportswear companies, professional sports leagues, agents,....

Reaction Score
You are dead on correct. Paying all players any equal amount will not solve the problem, no matter how high the number is, because the players who are clearly worth more will still be valued and have actual value.

And the apparel companies will still want the best kids playing for the schools they sponsor while in college and then signing with their brand when they go pro. Whether the kid is being paid while at school doesn't change this fact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom