Death penalty impact? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Death penalty impact?

Reaction Score
Louisville deserves to get the kick into the next century. When your main recruitment technique involves two things that are jail sentences in just about every other area of society (child prostitution and bribery), you know when you get caught it is going to be bad.
P.S. I hope ESPN drums up this Louisville thing and works behind the scenes to save our bacon for once.
Louisville isn't going anywhere neither are we

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Louisville deserves to get the kick into the next century. When your main recruitment technique involves two things that are jail sentences in just about every other area of society (child prostitution and bribery), you know when you get caught it is going to be bad.
P.S. I hope ESPN drums up this Louisville thing and works behind the scenes to save our bacon for once.

Don't hold your breath while waiting for your P.S. to happen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath while waiting for your P.S. to happen.

Louisville should panic if it sees negative press on ESPN, because any move by ESPN against Louisville will need to be blessed on Tobacco Road.

Reaction Score
Shizzle, ESPN is all in on the ACC and big names and Pitino, Roy, K. maybe they lose some schollies but of you have enough studs it don't matter that much.

Reaction Score
It could not be a more perfect storm for a death penalty,,,,

An obviously crooked upstart non-academic focused sports factory with 2 legendarily shady head coaches gets caught on tape discussing paying players $1000,000 less than 2 months after being sanctioned by the NCAA for providing hookers to recruits,,,,

The difference on this one will be the legally obtained title 3 wire taps and the FBI. For example, hearing Ray Rice punched his girlfriend wasn't nearly the impact as when one saw the video. How do you think hearing Louisville Assistant coaches talk about paying players will go over? Probably with same incremental effect the Ray Rice video had? The tapes will go public and its hard for the NCAA to slow role findings by the FBI.

The Death penalty is not out of the question for UL...either way Pitino and Jurich are gone

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Louisville isn't going anywhere neither are we
I take everything with a grain of salt. Life is fluid!

For instance UVA decides it has had enough of the ACC and takes up a B!G offer and with UNC sanctions the B!G takes UConn as UVA's partner.

Reaction Score
If Louisville were serious about cleaning up the mess they would basically step back from big time athletics for a while maybe for good, and play D3. Of course they will never do that. But if they had integrity they would.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This is an FBI investigation. All the schools on the list are in serious trouble. And I don't mean just the coaches and assistant coaches. The administration of these schools are going to be scrutinized. There are federal dollars, big federal dollars that go out each year. What we don't know is now much the FBI really has. But to make this announcement, they have to have some very serious and incriminating evidence. University ADs and presidents can't skirt this one.

Emmert and the NCAA better be sweating it too. They are the governing and enforcement body. Even though they don't have the subpoena powers, they have investigative powers.

As to Louisville, I think the death penalty has to be seriously considered. If the NCAA doesn't, then they have no credibility, not that they have much now. I don't think the ACC is going to stand behind Louisville as more comes out.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA will do everything they can to appear to come down hard on UL just short of imposing the death penalty. The ACC will impose some kind of sanctions like external academic and athletic monitoring, but will not do anything that actually matters. UL will buy out the athletic director after Pitino is fired, and possibly the president and trustees will get nice golden parachutes. But the ACC will not kick UL out or anything like that, and the NCAA will not actually do anything that matters.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Isn't the university inured from all this because the rent is paid by the municipality? That was the whole controversy. AND, if Louisville was somehow forced to enter into a less advantageous contract with the YUM, did the lawyers idemnify the school in case of such a thing happening? In other words, Louisville was dealing from a position of strength. It did the town a favor. And given the coach, the lawyers might have been smart enough to protect the school on this.
The lawyers probably protectected the school from abWhoreant sexual activity such as inbreeding and felatio with relatives given the coach and state but it will be interesting if the school has protected itself from felonious behavior.

Reaction Score
I thought the death penalty was two years. Isn't that what SMU got?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder if the ACC by-laws has an institutional "moral turpitude" clause or whether they rely on the NCAA.

Reaction Score
The death penalty is at least a year. SMU got 1 and serious limitations in year 2. Don't remember exactly but I think it included only conference games and no home games. Something like that and they decided it wouldn't work so just cancelled the season effectively extending it to 2 years.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Given how close to the season this is dropping and that they're gonna need to nuke the entire BB staff, plus the AD, I wonder if UL decides to death penalty themselves for this season in the hopes that its enough.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Personally, I think the NCAA will feel that they've been backed in to a corner and eventually will give 'ville "the death penalty". If this investigation goes as bad as it could go...the NCAA will have major credibility issues. What if the FBI finds that the NCAA missed (or overlooked) obvious issues? My guess is that as this investigation goes along Mark Emmert will feel he heat.

Reaction Score
If they Lville get the death penalty, is there any reasonable chance the ACC kicks them out?

Reaction Score
It could not be a more perfect storm for a death penalty,,,,

An obviously crooked upstart non-academic focused sports factory with 2 legendarily shady head coaches gets caught on tape discussing paying players $1000,000 less than 2 months after being sanctioned by the NCAA for providing hookers to recruits,,,,

The difference on this one will be the legally obtained title 3 wire taps and the FBI. For example, hearing Ray Rice punched his girlfriend wasn't nearly the impact as when one saw the video. How do you think hearing Louisville Assistant coaches talk about paying players will go over? Probably with same incremental effect the Ray Rice video had? The tapes will go public and its hard for the NCAA to slow role findings by the FBI.

The Death penalty is not out of the question for UL...either way Pitino and Jurich are gone
If the NCAA invokes the death penalty it will be to save their own ass. They're a puppet arm of the P5.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know if the NCAA will ever issue another death penalty (especially to a power conference member) but I can easily see a punishment similar to what Kentucky received (citizens of that state must be so proud) in 1989, which ironically led to Pitino coming in as a savior.

Reaction Score
I thought the death penalty was two years. Isn't that what SMU got?

SMU did not get the full death penalty which would have shut down the football program for 3 years. I think SMU football got shut down for 1 year, but the school recognized that they could not really field a football team in year 2, so they shut it down in year 2 as well. And, in their second game back from the death penalty, they beat UConn 31-30 at SMU. In basketball, you can recover from the death penalty quickly, but you can't in football.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the NCAA will ever issue another death penalty (especially to a power conference member) but I can easily see a punishment similar to what Kentucky received (citizens of that state must be so proud) in 1989, which ironically led to Pitino coming in as a savior.

You can recover quickly from the death penalty in basketball, especially if you have the resources, facilities, tradition, and fan base that Louisville has. In this case, it appears that Louisville blatantly broke both laws and NCAA regulations even though they had just been put on NCAA probation. This is the same thing that happened at SMU. If the NCAA is not going to shut down a program for a season or two after breaking laws and NCAA regulations while under NCAA probation, then they may as well abolish NCAA enforcement and the NCAA should just organize tournaments. I think the only way that the NCAA survives this mess is to lower the boom on Louisville.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
This is a big deal. These aren't rumors about a car or some money, but conclusive evidence of huge cash payments. It is as bad as it gets and if it is dealt with without extreme punishment, there is absolutely no reason to have rules. We say this each time a big scandal hits, but this is epic. The NCAA has to come down brutally hard or just throw away the rule book and let everyone do as they please.

This could be the end of the NCAA and give the P5 cover enough to break away and set up a new system where they pay players openly.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
While on probation for hiring strippers and paying for sex for athletes and recruits, they arranged for another recruit to get paid for joining the team. If they don't get it, the NCAA might as well fold up shop.

If you are paying recruits $150k, why do you also need hookers?

Reaction Score
You can recover quickly from the death penalty in basketball, especially if you have the resources, facilities, tradition, and fan base that Louisville has. In this case, it appears that Louisville blatantly broke both laws and NCAA regulations even though they had just been put on NCAA probation. This is the same thing that happened at SMU. If the NCAA is not going to shut down a program for a season or two after breaking laws and NCAA regulations while under NCAA probation, then they may as well abolish NCAA enforcement and the NCAA should just organize tournaments. I think the only way that the NCAA survives this mess is to lower the boom on Louisville.

Plus Factor in coke, hookers and hard cash cause they'll likely do it again. Ask Petrino.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Given how close to the season this is dropping and that they're gonna need to nuke the entire BB staff, plus the AD, I wonder if UL decides to death penalty themselves for this season in the hopes that its enough.
The only way that happens is if they conclude there is a more severe cost that the NCAA will impose than what they would self impose, and based on history I don't think they'll conclude that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom