Death penalty impact? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Death penalty impact?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Let them get paid to endorse products and to appear on tv, at birthdays, bar mitvahs etc.

I have yet to hear an argument against this.
You really don't see any problem with this? It's basically making it legal to buy players. Booster x and y will both have you appear at their kids party for $100,000 each. Or company X with a large alumni base will pay you to be in commercials all year.

Making it legal for teams to spend whatever they want on kids would total destroy any balance that may exist now. A handful of schools would end up buying all the talent.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If the NCAA were a reputable agency they wouldn't make any hard decisions until a majority of the facts and participants have shaken out...maybe by next spring. The NCAA isn't a reputable agency so who knows what they will do and when.

Reaction Score
You really don't see any problem with this? It's basically making it legal to buy players. Booster x and y will both have you appear at their kids party for $100,000 each. Or company X with a large alumni base will pay you to be in commercials all year.

Making it legal for teams to spend whatever they want on kids would total destroy any balance that may exist now. A handful of schools would end up buying all the talent.

Well I would assume that it wouldn't be totally unregulated.

I'd say that anyone officially involved with the school (like a booster or coach or someone) wouldn't be allowed to pay them.

But otherwise I think we should just legalize and regulate the system that is very clearly already in place

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

I'd say that anyone officially involved with the school (like a booster or coach or someone) wouldn't be allowed to pay them.

But otherwise I think we should just legalize and regulate the system that is very clearly already in place

Yeah the NCAA is a fair impartial juggernaut in regards to regulatory enforcement.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

But, stepping back, it wouldn't change the current system. It would be exactly the same. And let's face it, the NCAA doesn't have the ability to enforce it's rules. That's one of the biggest problems.

I do think players should receive some money, given the revenue they generate. Something like a small stipend (seeing as they can't really work), and a lump sum upon graduation or something like that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So your solution is...?
P5 + UConn break off on their own and set up new regulating body with sensible big picture rules that don't focus on minutia like whether a bagel has cream cheese on it. Build in a periodic auditing function with independent auditors doing periodic checks instead of an enforcement system that relies on someone else ferreting out problems. Put Emmert to death for crimes against humanity.

Reaction Score
It seems like any solution suggested here requires even more NCAA regulations.

So the argument that what I suggested wouldn't work because the NCAA is bad at regulation rings hallow.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So your solution is...?
I don't know if I'm going to regret posting this but some things are better off explained.

Get @Matrim55 to offer up another prayer but this time he needs to ask for some big time smiting instead of the piddling stuff he wanted to see.

You could say we've witnessed it in college bb in the past. It's obvious that Laura Fine was turned into a pillar of salt. That is why @husky99 always says recruiting is fluid and take it with a grain of salt. First Laura encouraged fluids. That resulted into her becoming a pillar of salt.

CL82

Reaction Score
It seems like any solution suggested here requires even more NCAA regulations.

So the argument that what I suggested wouldn't work because the NCAA is bad at regulation rings hallow.
Mmm didn't read your suggestion so can't say, but often less is more in successful regulation. Lay out clear, unambiguous and guidelines and then have an independent auditor look for violations. The NCAA has grown to be a huge, inefficient and ineffectual operation that dispenses punishments unevenly. Easier to start fresh than try turn back the clock on it. It is time for NCAA to replaced.

Reaction Score
Mmm didn't read your suggestion so can't say, but often less is more in successful regulation. Lay out clear, unambiguous and guidelines and then have an independent auditor look for violations. The NCAA has grown to be a huge, inefficient and ineffectual operation that dispenses punishments unevenly. Easier to start fresh than try turn back the clock on it.

Not your post @CL82. <3

My solution is letting players get paid to endorse products

CL82

Reaction Score
Not your post @CL82. <3

My solution is letting players get paid to endorse products
Oh got it. I think not. Having college players paid by outsiders sets up the potential for another point shaving scandal and undercuts coaches authority.

"Hmm, it dump it off and set a screen here, but my Adidas rep says I need to score more points. I'd better chuck up a dubious three."

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Personally I think it has more to do with the unpredictability of the NCAA. There's zero consistency when it comes to the punishments that they hand out, so I think everybody's taking the wait and see approach.

Right now the NCAA has no choice but to keep its mouth shut! They know as much as the rest of us and will only know what the FBI decides they have a need to know. The FBI is not going to let them have a seat at the table for any of this yet. You also have calls from Congress call for an investigation of the NCAA and their enforcement procedures.

Make no mistake, Emmert and the NCAA are in the hot seat as much as Louisville and other schools.

Reaction Score
Oh got it. I think not. Having college players paid by outsiders sets up the potential for another point shaving scandal and undercuts coaches authority.

"Hmm, it dump it off and set a screen here, but my Adidas rep says I need to score more points. I'd better chuck up a dubious three."

I totally get that and I understand the concern.

But these companies are already paying these schools and coaches boatloads of money, why do you trust coaches and schools to act in the best interest of the team but not the players themselves?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Right now the NCAA has no choice but to keep its mouth shut! They know as much as the rest of us and will only know what the FBI decides they have a need to know. The FBI is not going to let them have a seat at the table for any of this yet. You also have calls from Congress call for an investigation of the NCAA and their enforcement procedures.

Make no mistake, Emmert and the NCAA are in the hot seat as much as Louisville and other schools.
There is no table to have a seat at! The NCAA lawyers should be advising there clients to keep there mouths shut. The NCAA could very well be subpoenaed as witness in the FBIs case.

Reaction Score
I totally get that and I understand the concern.

But these companies are already paying these schools and coaches boatloads of money, why do you trust coaches and schools to act in the best interest of the team but not the players themselves?
The primary reason is that the success of a coach and that of the sponsors are pretty much the same...win games and titles. But it need not be comparable for players. As we all know players are stars for scoring not because they play great defense or set wicked screens.

Step 1 in solving this problem is to come down brutally hard on anyone involved.

Step 2 is end the 1-done. The NCAA needs to just figure it out. There are ways. They just don't want to use them.

Those will set the stage to reform the system.

pj

Reaction Score
P5 + UConn break off on their own and set up new regulating body with sensible big picture rules that don't focus on minutia like whether a bagel has cream cheese on it. Build in a periodic auditing function with independent auditors doing periodic checks instead of an enforcement system that relies on someone else ferreting out problems. Put Emmert to death for crimes against humanity.

The failure of P5 conferences like the ACC and SEC to police themselves shows that the P5 can't regulate themselves. They need an impartial outsider known for integrity. UConn can play that role. After Emmert's execution, UConn should have the additional role of regulating all the P5 athletic programs. Of course, we'll need a small fee of $1 million per year per regulated school for the service, plus each P5 program to schedule UConn football once every 6 years.

C

Chief00

I think there is something to that.

I also think that the FBI being involved and the high-profile coverage this will get all but ties Louisville and the other schools to the tracks.

The NCAA isn’t going to die on this hill over Louisville.

I wonder how the corrupt NCAA, really feels about the FBI on their turf?

Reaction Score
I don't think there's any chance a school gets the death penalty out of this.
If the Louisville tentacles extend to other ACC programs and-or to football, they not only get the death penalty but they get booted out of the ACC as well.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Penn State football didnt get the "death penalty" for harboring and enabling a serial child rapist.

The death penalty effectively doesn't exist anymore
Thank you. /thread

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
In your opinion could Louisville survive 10 years without an athletic department?
As a university? I believe so, because it is still a long-established institution that has only one peer in its state and none in its metro. Louisville merged Jefferson County with the city to an advantage that a crippled city like Hartford resists to the region's plausible detriment. (Same could be said for New Haven.) In that sense, the university us too significant to fail.
We snicker about it here, but UL is a growing, viable university that was indeed more akin to a bumped-up community College, and big-time athletics has been part of the plan. NYU, CCNY, and Chicago all once had higher athletic profiles in the past. That said, there's no chance that UL could reach academic heights, except possibly those of some elements of CUNY. Then again, Long Beach State never recaptured what it had w/Tark (nor will UNLV likely), but they've never stopped being sizeable public schools for mostly nearby students.
The accreditation matters and the complete turnover in Board of Trustees and Governor's heavy hand in the matter and state-funding reductions make for quite a mess on top of basketball's self-inflicted woes and suspicions about football.
Long game + short cuts +over reaching + underfunding makes quite a stew. We'll see...

Reaction Score
I haven't read this whole thread but has anyone pointed out the irony in the title? Death penalty impact should be ... final. If this wasn't a euphemism and there ever was such a thing it might be possible to reform college sports, but as it stands its (even a total 1-2 year non-playing penalty) simply severity of various slap on wrist penalties that won't hurt the $ of status quo. Death penalty my arse.

CL82

Reaction Score
As a university? I believe so, because it is still a long-established institution that has only one peer in its state and none in its metro. Louisville merged Jefferson County with the city to an advantage that a crippled city like Hartford resists to the region's plausible detriment. (Same could be said for New Haven.) In that sense, the university us too significant to fail.
We snicker about it here, but UL is a growing, viable university that was indeed more akin to a bumped-up community College, and big-time athletics has been part of the plan. NYU, CCNY, and Chicago all once had higher athletic profiles in the past. That said, there's no chance that UL could reach academic heights, except possibly those of some elements of CUNY. Then again, Long Beach State never recaptured what it had w/Tark (nor will UNLV likely), but they've never stopped being sizeable public schools for mostly nearby students.
The accreditation matters and the complete turnover in Board of Trustees and Governor's heavy hand in the matter and state-funding reductions make for quite a mess on top of basketball's self-inflicted woes and suspicions about football.
Long game + short cuts +over reaching + underfunding makes quite a stew. We'll see...
All good information, thanks. From here the view is of a very low ranked institution academically, currently on probation from it's accrediting body, involved in two major tawdry sports scandals and an extremely shady leasing deal at a publicly owned basketball stadium. It's not a good a look, and I'd be very wary of sending a student there. If their high profile sports teams were taken away all that would be left is sketchy undergrad academics with dubious financing. In this market where competition for undergrads is fierce, it doesn't seem likely that they'd succeed.

Thanks for info though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom