Death penalty impact? | The Boneyard

Death penalty impact?

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Honestly how bad could a one year death penalty hurt a school like Louisville?

Not like they're being forced back to the American or conference USA.

Reaction Score
The death penalty would set any program back a decade minimum. You have zero at the end. No players no coaches you can't recruit. SMU wasn't allowed to play non-conference games for a year too and if they did that to UL they would be screwed too. Guess who else would probably get screwed? The City of Louisville since they lose their tenant.

Reaction Score
Honestly how bad could a one year death penalty hurt a school like Louisville?

Not like they're being forced back to the American or conference USA.

It would hurt them a lot.

They might start the next year with 5 or 6 scholarships and then ramp up. A team with a bench of walk ons. And if they have a tourney ban after a death penalty, they are not recruiting anyone of consequence anyway. It would mean 3 years in the desert at least.

When PSU got a $60m fine, 4 year bowl ban, and a half of all scholarships reduction, I thought they would have been better off with a death penalty if the academic side could keep the $60m. It turns out they got to keep the $60m anyway and also got bowl approved for the 4th year, but the scholarship reductions remained. Those were 3 years of bad football for them. Losses to BC, Ohio U (not OSU), blowout losses to Temple, UCF. If 13 scholarships are reduced to 6 or 7 with no one coming back, it's going to hurt. And who are you going to recruit if you have a tourney ban?

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
The death penalty would set any program back a decade minimum. You have zero at the end. No players no coaches you can't recruit. SMU wasn't allowed to play non-conference games for a year too and if they did that to UL they would be screwed too. Guess who else would probably get screwed? The City of Louisville since they lose their tenant.
But when it's all said and done they'll hire a good coach and attract decent recruits because they're in the ACC. It'll hurt them short term I think. Unless other bans and penaltys are set in place along with the one year.

Reaction Score
This is a big deal. These aren't rumors about a car or some money, but conclusive evidence of huge cash payments. It is as bad as it gets and if it is dealt with without extreme punishment, there is absolutely no reason to have rules. We say this each time a big scandal hits, but this is epic. The NCAA has to come down brutally hard or just throw away the rule book and let everyone do as they please.

Reaction Score
This is a big deal. These aren't rumors about a car or some money, but conclusive evidence of huge cash payments. It is as bad as it gets and if it is dealt with without extreme punishment, there is absolutely no reason to have rules. We say this each time a big scandal hits, but this is epic. The NCAA has to come down brutally hard or just throw away the rule book and let everyone do as they please.

Seismic, one might say.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think there's any chance a school gets the death penalty out of this.
I think they totally can, but don't think they will. If what they are saying is true, that amount of $$$, less than a month after the prior sanctions, that is a total ___ you to the NCAA.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

That is basically where the NCAA is today.

It is also possible that neither the ACC nor the other P5 leagues is prepared to lay down on the tracks to save Louisville. I suspect Jurich is not getting a lot of calls returned right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would not dismiss the death penalty here for Louisville.

This case is tailor-made for its application.

The death penalty can be applied if a major violation is committed within five years of the announcement of a previous major violation. In this instance, it was five weeks and the second violation...holy cow. It has everything...the FBI, a level of a lack of institutional control rarely seen outside of prison riots, six-figure payments, steering players to agents, indictments, everything.

This is the Aaron Judge of scandal prospects.

I would say the odds of the death penalty given what we know now are about 60-40. I doubt those odds do anything but get worse for UL.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The death penalty can be applied if a major violation is committed within five years of the announcement of a previous major violation. In this instance, it was five weeks and the second violation...holy cow. It has everything...the FBI, a level of a lack of institutional control rarely seen outside of prison riots, six-figure payments, steering players to agents, indictments, everything.

I would say the odds of the death penalty given what we know now are about 60-40. I doubt those odds do anything but get worse for UL.

I think the fact that this is Louisville and not UNC or Texas or some other program people actually care about is also important. If this was Texas or Kansas, I would say there is a 10% chance of a death penalty. Louisville is expendable.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The death penalty will never happen.

But if it did for some crazy reason, it could actually put the entire University out of business. With their over-leveraged stadium financial deal, their reliance on athletic revenue, and their budget situation, it could get ugly. Wasn't there political positioning last year by some Kentucky legislatures about letting Louisville go belly up as it was already? This could potentially put the entire University at risk.

Having said that, the death penalty will never happen [unless UConn ever gets caught giving an athlete a C+ grade when their numeric score was actually 76.8, a C...then you'd see the death penalty applied]

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the fact that this is Louisville and not UNC or Texas or some other program people actually care about is also important. If this was Texas or Kansas, I would say there is a 10% chance of a death penalty. Louisville is expendable.

I think there is something to that.

I also think that the FBI being involved and the high-profile coverage this will get all but ties Louisville and the other schools to the tracks.

The NCAA isn’t going to die on this hill over Louisville.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Re: conference realignment

Say the ACC drops Louisville... they now have an even 14 for basketball. I see them inviting Navy for football only and that’s that. Let’s not get our hopes up.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
F L'ville - that place is a cesspool - in all aspects
So happy that Enoch and his father felt it was a good place to land - even knowing about the prostitute BS didn't stand in their way- now this earthquake????
I don't wish bad things on any kid - but when does common sense come into play?
At least he can watch all the "defensive moves' the slime ball Pitino does with this new accusation

Reaction Score

I have never hoped for anything on the boneyard to be more true than this. Please, please, please. Let this happen. We lost out a p5 bid to a school that provided hookers to players and that "was just the tip" of the proverbial iceberg.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
F L'ville - that place is a cesspool - in all aspects
So happy that Enoch and his father felt it was a good place to land - even knowing about the prostitute BS didn't stand in their way- now this earthquake????
I don't wish bad things on any kid - but when does common sense come into play?
At least he can watch all the "defensive moves' the slime ball Pitino does with this new accusation

If Louisville were to get hammered by the NCAA, they would probably let the players who aren't implicated in the scandal to transfer to any school with no restrictions or eligibility hit. So En0ch to Providence next?!:)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Re: conference realignment

Say the ACC drops Louisville... they now have an even 14 for basketball. I see them inviting Navy for football only and that’s that. Let’s not get our hopes up.

One thing at a time. The hammer has to fall on Louisville first. Rumors of Pitino and Jurich getting canned today all over Twitter. If both are fired, it is an admission of guilt. If I was the Louisville President, I might consider self-imposing the death penalty if the ACC will hold my spot in the conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think there's any chance a school gets the death penalty out of this.
While on probation for hiring strippers and paying for sex for athletes and recruits, they arranged for another recruit to get paid for joining the team. If they don't get it, the NCAA might as well fold up shop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom