Death penalty impact? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Death penalty impact?

Reaction Score
I tried to look up death penalty and all I can find is banishment from competition for 1 year. Their players would transfer without penalty, and they recruit and are back in business the following year, right?

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I tried to look up death penalty and all I can find is banishment from competition for 1 year. Their players would transfer without penalty, and they recruit and are back in business the following year, right?

I would imagine they would be severely limited in scholarships, post season ect for several years after the banishment.

It would probably mean 5 years of being Rutgers.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The only way that happens is if they conclude there is a more severe cost that the NCAA will impose than what they would self impose, and based on history I don't think they'll conclude that.

Yes, but I'm thinking of this in a different way.

If the "death penalty" is so taboo, the only other escalation is postseason appearances / scholarships. Maybe you kill one year in entirety to save 5 years of NCAAs (example) in the future?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Based on the way things usually go for UConn, Louisville will probably have to pay back their NCAA credits that now belong to the AAC and UConn will suffer the consequences.:oops:

Chely's Home

Bring back the whalers
Reaction Score
Acc is dumb. They should get in trouble too. That's a thing, right?
No matter what happens to Louisville it will never be good enough imo because of the state of uconn athletics. Pending "the call up".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Acc is dumb. They should get in trouble too. That's a thing, right?
No matter what happens to Louisville it will never be good enough imo because of the state of uconn athletics. Pending "the call up".

RICO is a hell of a law, and could scoop a lot of unsuspecting people up just because they knew about what was happening and they benefited from the criminal activity in some way. I suspect that shredders are working overtime and people are practicing saying "I don't know" in the mirror at ACC offices today.

Reaction Score
Any chance Louisville voluntarily shuts the program down for a year for the sake of PR?

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Any chance Louisville voluntarily shuts the program down for a year for the sake of PR?

That may be a good play by Louisville depending on how much support they think they have. Self-imposing the death penalty would take some heat off and show the rest of the NCAA and the ACC that you were serious about cleaning things up.

I hope they fight this. Play the "rogue coach" angle, because that will piss everyone off.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Honestly how bad could a one year death penalty hurt a school like Louisville?

Not like they're being forced back to the American or conference USA.
Personally I do not see the NCAA handling down any penalties for the duration that it takes the FBI to bring this through the Federal Courts. We are talking Federal jail time for a large number of people here and I can't see any judge wanting the press surrounding little Mark Emmert's attempt to get control of the NCAA resulting in a mistrial. The other thing is you all are talking about Lville when in fact they have evidence of similar level of corruption at Miami, USC, and Auburn and maybe others. This all before one or more sneaker guys take plea deals and turn in what they know about all the other schools. I honestly feel that the NCAA will be happy to keep their mouth's shut, cooperate with the Feds where they can and be thankful they don't have to hand down "death penalties" to at least 2 ACC schools.
My 2 cents

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you are paying recruits $150k, why do you also need hookers?
a) because if you already are dumping $150k into a recruit, why scrimp on the hookers? and/or
b) because the $150k bribe took place after the strippergate was shut down.

Reaction Score
a) because if you already are dumping $150k into a recruit, why scrimp on the hookers? and/or
b) because the $150k bribe took place after the strippergate was shut down.

No way this new and used in place of the hookers and coke. The kids were getting all the perks.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Personally I do not see the NCAA handling down any penalties for the duration that it takes the FBI to bring this through the Federal Courts. We are talking Federal jail time for a large number of people here and I can't see any judge wanting the press surrounding little Mark Emmert's attempt to get control of the NCAA resulting in a mistrial. The other thing is you all are talking about Lville when in fact they have evidence of similar level of corruption at Miami, USC, and Auburn and maybe others. This all before one or more sneaker guys take plea deals and turn in what they know about all the other schools. I honestly feel that the NCAA will be happy to keep their mouth's shut, cooperate with the Feds where they can and be thankful they don't have to hand down "death penalties" to at least 2 ACC schools.
My 2 cents
Too many moving parts to know how things will play out. I've noticed a lot of posters thinking UNC will be getting a slap in the wrist and that this latest scandal increases those odds. I'm thinking the opposite. If I profile Emmert correctly he's a cya guy and will very likely push his NCAA colleagues to make an example of UNC just to keep the Justice Department and the FBI at an arms length away from investigating him and the NCAA. May not work if things get revealed but I see it in character with Emmert.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Too many moving parts to know how things will play out. I've noticed a lot of posters thinking UNC will be getting a slap in the wrist and that this latest scandal increases those odds. I'm thinking the opposite. If I profile Emmert correctly he's a cya guy and will very likely push his NCAA colleagues to make an example of UNC just to keep the Justice Department and the FBI at an arms length away from investigating him and the NCAA. May not work if things get revealed but I see it in character with Emmert.
If you are talking UNC (I was not) that would make 3 ACC teams getting the death penalty. Do you really see Mark Emmert pulling that off?

Reaction Score
I would not dismiss the death penalty here for Louisville.

This case is tailor-made for its application.

The death penalty can be applied if a major violation is committed within five years of the announcement of a previous major violation. In this instance, it was five weeks and the second violation...holy cow. It has everything...the FBI, a level of a lack of institutional control rarely seen outside of prison riots, six-figure payments, steering players to agents, indictments, everything.

This is the Aaron Judge of scandal prospects.

I would say the odds of the death penalty given what we know now are about 60-40. I doubt those odds do anything but get worse for UL.

I agree. Louisville needs to be looked at differently from the other schools involved in this because this news comes on the heals of a different major violation. My question here is, with Pitino going down (and I would assume Bruce Pearl likely to follow) what happens to Sean Miller, Jim Larranaga, Andy Enfield, and the like?

Reaction Score
It would be a very aggressive move but what if UConn was on the phone right now with the Duke, UNC and VA presidents trying to talk about letting them replace the Ville.....focus would be back on Academic institutions, basketball and ethics. The ACC/Old BE footprint would be restored.

Where the hell is FSU and Clemson going anyway for the next 20 years?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you are talking UNC (I was not) that would make 3 ACC teams getting the death penalty. Do you really see Mark Emmert pulling that off?
This scandal could take years and the NCAA will be under the gun to make a statement now to show it has integrity (even if most of us cynically believe differently). The P5 is very likely vulnerable right now because a vast majority to the TBD shoe company shoes coming off will affect them so they're not about to make a statement in the near future and bolt. Nor is the media willing to support this without seeing how this plays out.

UNC may really regret they stalled imo.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This scandal could take years and the NCAA will be under the gun to make a statement now to show it has integrity (even if most of us cynically believe differently). The P5 is very likely vulnerable right now because a vast majority to the TBD shoe company shoes coming off will affect them so they're not about to make a statement in the near future and bolt. Nor is the media willing to support this without seeing how this plays out.

UNC may really regret they stalled imo.
Interesting perspective. While they can't muck up the waters of the Federal case they sure can make UNC's lives miserable if they want to. Hmm!

Reaction Score
It would be a very aggressive move but what if UConn was on the phone right now with the Duke, UNC and VA presidents trying to talk about letting them replace the Ville.....focus would be back on Academic institutions, basketball and ethics. The ACC/Old BE footprint would be restored.

Where the hell is FSU and Clemson going anyway for the next 20 years?
I like this, but is there any chance Louisville gets drummed out of the ACC? Sounds like a longshot.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
UL was already on the decline. Their school is in need of cash badly, which is why the $40m buyout of Pitino would be crushing for them.

They are in danger of losing accreditation which, while unlikely, would be crippling in itself.

Now this entire thing with Rick Pitino, Brian Bowen, and etc., and now Bobby Petrino is rumored to be on his way out.

The university is dying. I wouldn't call it completely out of the question to see some kind of arrangement made to get them out of ACC. It's unlikely, but they are a dying school and I don't think that should go unnoticed.

Reaction Score
I like this, but is there any chance Louisville gets drummed out of the ACC? Sounds like a longshot.
I don't think anyone expects it to happen either - I was just wondering if UConn had the balls to be ringing up some presidents of quality schools in the ACC just to "connect" and see how life is...

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone expects it to happen either - I was just wondering if UConn had the balls to be ringing up some presidents of quality schools in the ACC just to "connect" and see how life is...
No

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom