DANIEL HAMILTON TO UCONN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

DANIEL HAMILTON TO UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thing is, they are still handcuffed on the recruiting trail. Ollie still can't travel. Imagine what will happen when he gets out there.
He couldn't travel for the first 40 days of this years allotted days where you could travel. I'm pretty sure you have 180 days in a year to be on the road and no one comes close to using all the days. It ends on July 1st if I'm remembering correctly. That's why the staff hasn't had any in home visits yet and haven't been on the road watching any big games in the EYBL.

Reaction Score
When Ollie was hired in September, I had my concerns. They stemmed from inexperience, and, thus, were two-pronged:
  1. Can he coach a game, you know, for real.
  2. Everyone says he can recruit. Can he?
One season is always too small a sample size for wide-sweeping conclusions. But, increasingly shorthanded throughout a year that players had no incentive but pride to play hard, Ollie won far more games than I thought the team should have coming in. I would have liked the Marquette and Georgetown games...a lot. But, 20 wins? Including Syracuse and Michigan State? It was great. I think there's a lot of promise here. I think he can coach (in more years, or so, we can be be more fully sure. And we can know if he can coach in the regular season but not the tournament).
Recruiting was interesting, because of all the difficulties the NCAA gave us. And while I was happy with some of the kids we were pulling in, people said Ollie would bring in stars. Between Purvis, and now Hamilton (who feels vintage UConn--picking him up right before he totally blows up, a la Gay and others), I think we're getting confirmation.
Very optimistic going forward. Still need to withhold ultimate judgement, but he seems to be dispelling all my concerns...

Reaction Score
From Scout:
" His three-point shot is better but Hamilton's best scoring from midrange and in. "
Sounds like a desription of another Hamilton who had a decent career.

Yep, sounds a lot like Rip Halmilton as far as shooting but a little more athletic after looking at the videos. Great get by KO. What a great choice for coach to lead UCONN into the future. Also, love the new logo and it seems to be resonating with the younger kids. Go UCONN!!!!!!! Can't wait for the next great Uconn recruit. KO has me still excited about the program going forward even if our conference situation sucks!

Reaction Score
Really excited for Daniel Hamilton at UConn. Now I'm just hoping he stays for 2 or 3 years and becomes another UConn star!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When Ollie was hired in September, I had my concerns. They stemmed from inexperience, and, thus, were two-pronged:

1. [ ]Can he coach a game, you know, for real.
    [ ]Everyone says he can recruit. Can he?
Very optimistic going forward. Still need to withhold ultimate judgement, but he sees to be dispelling all my concerns...

I agree and disagree. I shared your concerns at the outset, but we've seen enough for ultimate judgement. We're gonna be good next year and we're gonna be good the year after that. They guys we have in the program now are good enough to attract more good players. The bleeding has been stanched and we're on our way back to optimal health.

Reaction Score
I agree and disagree. I shared your concerns at the outset, but we've seen enough for ultimate judgement. We're gonna be good next year and we're gonna be good the year after that. They guys we have in the program now are good enough to attract more good players. The bleeding has been stanched and we're on our way back to optimal health.

Well said, I agree. I also think Daniel Hamilton just joined Smitty and Donyell in the pantheon of most meaningful recruits in program history.

Reaction Score
In his first game since committing to UConn he had 25 pts, 9reb, 4asts. He had a great game but his team lost in 3 OTs.

Reaction Score
Lots of coaches have a some good years, and recruit well, even at the highest level--but we wouldn't want them at UConn (Barnes). Some coaches are consistently fantastic during the regular season, and then don't hack it in the post-season (Few, Dixon). And some coaches have had post-season success, but weren't able to sustain it (Howland).

While I think you are correct that "the bleeding has been stanched and we're on our way back to optimal health," and, if there were some sort of way to gamble money on it, I would, it doesn't necessarily make it right. One year, two years, even five years are not necessarily optimal sample sizes.

The point of my post: I'm really happy that we got Hamilton; here's hoping he brings the same success as our other Hamilton, and here's hoping that Ollie continues to progress as a game-coach and a recruiter.

Reaction Score
awesome news, can't wait to see him and purvis on the floor at the same time

Reaction Score
This is double great news for me! Of course its wonderful my beloved Huskies have reeled in a top recruit at a crucial time, but for me personally, the opening of the "California Pipeline" will hopefully insure some road Homecoming games every year out here on the left coast. And that prospect makes me very happy!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Coming back after a few days away only find god out about this awesome news.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

In time we will remember the year when Shabazz, Boat and Daniels didn't abandon ship with the NCAA and Big East Tourney ban but instead stayed a true Husky along with the rest of the team and had an inspiring season. With what they did with KO leading the charge along with Geno's championsip team we have refused to be dismissed from the National stage. The best thing is that KO's players have another year to show folks what they've got and will be taking no prisoners. We all can enjoy the ride. The tide has turned and the student athletes have a huge role in having made that happen.

Reaction Score
Just finished a 3 day, 2,000+ mile drive from Vermont to the Colorado Rockies. Just fired up my laptop and checked the news. Don't feel so tired anymore.

My major take away from the past year is that KO got someone else's recruits to play/compete consistently well. Now he's getting his own guys.
Looks like we are truly reloading from coach on down.

This could be the second best recruit in UConn's history.
Not Hamilton, Kevin Ollie. Jim Calhoun was the first.

Reaction Score
Just finished a 3 day, 2,000+ mile drive from Vermont to the Colorado Rockies. Just fired up my laptop and checked the news. Don't feel so tired anymore.

My major take away from the past year is that KO got someone else's recruits to play/compete consistently well. Now he's getting his own guys.
Looks like we are truly reloading from coach on down.

This could be the second best recruit in UConn's history.
Not Hamilton, Kevin Ollie. Jim Calhoun was the first.

That must have been one great drive! I'd love to try a trip like that some day. Very jealous. Hopefully you got to see some great site along the way, such as a few National Parks.

Reaction Score
Wow. Calhoun, Hamilton, ... Oakafor??

I highly doubt Okafor is considering UConn, unfortunately. He'd be great but he rarely mentions us... so we need another shot blocker to smack his "S" into the first row... LOL

Reaction Score
That must have been one great drive! I'd love to try a trip like that some day. Very jealous. Hopefully you got to see some great site along the way, such as a few National Parks.

Actually it was a fast as can be trip to come and assist son & daughter-in-law with move back to the East Coast. So, next week it's turn around and head to Southern Maryland.

Let's hope for a nice big, for the 4 or 5 slot, from the Class of '14 when I get to the end of that trip. Never know, you add good ones like Purvis & Hamilton, and others can fall off the fence to come and play with them, and avoid the slot being given to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom