DANIEL HAMILTON TO UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
confirms KO is a great recruiter, check
confirms UConn is still a brand name, check
confirms KO and the kids he recruits know the program will remain NBAU, check

who woulda thought that?

Count me as someone who never thought the basketball program was in danger of decline. Hiring an NBA veteran who tutored Lebron James, bleeds Husky blue and inspires like a preacher was a stroke of genius by JC and being in "The American" means almost all of our games will be on ESPN and our out of conference schedule will be better than ever, not to mention the school is building a basketball palace on campus.

All of the fear mongers who thought UCONN basketball was in decline can kiss off.

Reaction Score
I wasn't attacking him in anyway. I was just expressing how shocked I was that his coaches and his older brother have not guided him better. Not only is he not doing the right things, but he's also doing the wrong things. Pushups and sit ups will most likely lead to imbalances that can cause injury and will actually restrict his ability to maximize speed and jumping ability. I can already tell from his videos that his posture has been affected. There are likely several reasons for his posture, but I can guarantee just doing pushups and situps is a contributor. Pullups will often times make the same pattern worse. Young athletes who plan to play professionally need to start thinking about injury prevention and keeping the body balanced. One would think Jordan Hamilton would have been taught all of these things at Texas and told his brothers. Someone in this chain failed. Could be Texas, Jordan, Daniel not listening....who knows. Its just scary to think that these kids could be A) performing at a much higher level at a young age B) preventing a lot of the injuries that they experience later in their career as college or professional athletes. Performance can be increased once they get to college. However, once overcompensation patterns have been developed by their body it usually takes a lot of knowledge of multiple modalities in order to fix. This involves 1. people with the assessment skills and knowledge of what needs to be done 2. money to pay for the treatment plans 3. a commitment from the player to fix issues. To sum up my original point about proper weight training there are a lot of bad things that can happen if a player isn't keeping his body balanced and a lot of good things he's missing out on if he isn't weight training.

So when we were in HS and there was no weights or trainers and all we did was suicides, push ups, sit ups, leg lifts and run games, yet we were plenty strong we weren't doing anything right? My posture is still pretty damn good in the 50's and I "never did the right thing" according to you.......I think you are WAY overthinking this kids situation quite honestly........these are still kids, they don't hit the gym a lot unless they are playing basketball, then when they move on to places like UConn and are afforded the "right things" they then progress........

He's a 17 year old basketball player and he's doing fine!!!:eek:

Reaction Score
I wasn't attacking him in anyway. I was just expressing how shocked I was that his coaches and his older brother have not guided him better. Not only is he not doing the right things, but he's also doing the wrong things. Pushups and sit ups will most likely lead to imbalances that can cause injury and will actually restrict his ability to maximize speed and jumping ability. I can already tell from his videos that his posture has been affected. There are likely several reasons for his posture, but I can guarantee just doing pushups and situps is a contributor. Pullups will often times make the same pattern worse. Young athletes who plan to play professionally need to start thinking about injury prevention and keeping the body balanced. One would think Jordan Hamilton would have been taught all of these things at Texas and told his brothers. Someone in this chain failed. Could be Texas, Jordan, Daniel not listening....who knows. Its just scary to think that these kids could be A) performing at a much higher level at a young age B) preventing a lot of the injuries that they experience later in their career as college or professional athletes. Performance can be increased once they get to college. However, once overcompensation patterns have been developed by their body it usually takes a lot of knowledge of multiple modalities in order to fix. This involves 1. people with the assessment skills and knowledge of what needs to be done 2. money to pay for the treatment plans 3. a commitment from the player to fix issues. To sum up my original point about proper weight training there are a lot of bad things that can happen if a player isn't keeping his body balanced and a lot of good things he's missing out on if he isn't weight training.
Ummmm- I think KO and the staff will be able to keep him on the right track. His family is basically a basketball factory in their own right and I would not worry about them doing anything that is going to hurt his conditioning or skill set in any way. They simply know more then you do about what he needs and when he needs it.

Reaction Score
confirms KO is a great recruiter, check
confirms UConn is still a brand name, check
confirms KO and the kids he recruits know the program will remain NBAU, check

who woulda thought that?

^ This.

After all the turmoil and the retirement of a legend, we are finding out that we are still UConn, and we are not going away.

Love KO.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of coaches at that level who's entire basis in weight training knowledge is hearsay. I'll add this story, though I have told it before on here. My roommate at UConn was a strength training major and one of the major guys in the program used to work at Penn St. He told the story that when Paterno was still coaching, his requirement would be for the players to do one set to failure of whatever exercise. Anyone who has a basic knowledge of what to do in a gym knows how ridiculous that is. So, when he walked in the facility, they'd all pretend to be doing that, and when he left, they'd go back to their real workouts. I understand not wanting to bulk up too much, but not using weights at all seems like a bad influence got in his ear.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...ditioning-coach-john-thomas-out-at-penn-state

It's not hearsay. There was a theory behind it. It's called HIT: High Intensity Training. Some NFL teams still use it. And it's why Paterno's S&C coach was there for 20+ years. And, no, the players didn't do what they wanted when Paterno wasn't there, because the entire staff used the same method.

http://www.drweitz.com/scientific/hit.htm

Reaction Score
Rob Gronkowski of the Patriots grew up with a father that was a S&C coach. I've heard Gronk speak about his training. It's pretty interesting. I don't know how his father trains his clients, but with his sons, it was minimal. Totally anti-body mass, and even then, it was focused on bringing up their strength only to a point. There was some grousing that gronk's back troubles and spasms were from the weight program in college.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So when we were in HS and there was no weights or trainers and all we did was suicides, push ups, sit ups, leg lifts and run games, yet we were plenty strong we weren't doing anything right? My posture is still pretty damn good in the 50's and I "never did the right thing" according to you.......I think you are WAY overthinking this kids situation quite honestly........these are still kids, they don't hit the gym a lot unless they are playing basketball, then when they move on to places like UConn and are afforded the "right things" they then progress........

Squat thrusts!! Don't forget the squat thrusts!!

Reaction Score
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...ditioning-coach-john-thomas-out-at-penn-state

It's not hearsay. There was a theory behind it. It's called HIT: High Intensity Training. Some NFL teams still use it. And it's why Paterno's S&C coach was there for 20+ years. And, no, the players didn't do what they wanted when Paterno wasn't there, because the entire staff used the same method.

http://www.drweitz.com/scientific/hit.htm

It does not optimize central nervous system function. Also, it is pretty universally accepted that greater volume will lead to greater muscle mass gains. It's not about "does it work". It's about finding what is absolutely optimal. HIT weight training for athletes is not optimal in most cases. HIT cardio is optimal in most cases for a football player

Reaction Score

I'm talking about athletes who plan to play in college and especially ones who plan to play professionally. Optimal spinal alignment and balance of muscles is extremely important to maximizing performance and preventing injuries. I think it is most important for sports such as baseball or golf where repetitive use injuries are common due to imbalances. However, basketball players get a lot of where and tear. That's one of the reasons why there are so few players in the NBA who are in their 30s. Knee and hip issues start to decrease athleticism. Tiny misalignments of the body can cause major wear and tear issues over thousands of hours of playing basketball.

Reaction Score
If DH becomes a MCDAA next year, then we will have at least two (RP) on our roster for 2014-15.

Having two has worked out well for us ;)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Even those of us who were behind KO as JC's replacement ever since he became an assistant have been kind of holding our breath to see what the next chapter in the KO era would be like. We were all thrilled with what he got out of what he was left with, under incredibly tough conditions in his maiden voyage. But long term, we knew that his ability to assemble his own team was key to the future of Husky basketball. I was never worried about it, but now I'm beyond ecstatic.

Boys and girls, we are witnessing magic happening. JC was a lightning strike. A once in a lifetime stroke of good fortune. Except once in a lifetime appears to have happened again!

It took JC 12 years to win his first NC. KO will do it in 5. Admittedly, JC started with far less, and his legacy is part of what will make it easier for KO. But he also had the best b-ball conference the world has ever seen as a springboard -- a luxury that KO will have to find ways to work around.

Reaction Score
Ummmm- I think KO and the staff will be able to keep him on the right track. His family is basically a basketball factory in their own right and I would not worry about them doing anything that is going to hurt his conditioning or skill set in any way. They simply know more then you do about what he needs and when he needs it.

First, I apologize for highjacking the thread. The info is relevant to Hamilton to some degree, but obviously is a little off topic.

Most college and many professional athletes are not optimizing their performance and health. Many people are put in positions of power within college ranks and professional organizations due to personal connections and years of experience on their resume. However, they lack the proper knowledge and intelligence to properly assess, treat, and direct athletes in a way that optimizes their health and performance. I am in the process of helping some of these misguided athletes, but due to a combination of many factors it is difficult to change long standing and inaccurate perceptions. One issue is people in power are giving a lot of bad advice. I believe this mainly stems from two things. One is training is very specific. For example, a physical therapist may have limited or no knowledge of Chiropractic care. It is literally impossible to prescribe an optimal recovery or maintenance plan for many types of injuries without this knowledge. The treatment plan will either be sub-optimal or in some cases will not work at all. Two is many people think drugs and surgery are 90+% of healthcare. In reality it is probably closer to 30 or 40%. That gap is a major factor for what is holding people back from optimal health. One of the issues with college and professional organizations is that their healthcare systems within their organizations are sometimes focused on what I would consider far outdated forms of treatment and advice. If an athlete has a lot of money, than they can get a lot of what they need from offseason programs like Bommarito performance institute. However, most college athletes will not get this. Unfortunately, by the time these athletes turn professional there can be degeneration and misalignment that can cause permanent affects that can hinder or end their career. Like I said in another post, these issues are more prevalent in sports such as baseball as opposed to basketball, but it still applies. People who counter saying pro players are fine etc forget that there are many talented players who didn't turn pro due to injury and you never knew them. Guys who were drafted in the top 10 of the MLB draft, but battled many chronic injuries that required surgery or hindered their ability for optimal performance. Not all can be avoided, but a shockingly large number of them can. If you still think that "They simply know more then you do about what he needs and when he needs it." than I respect your opinion. However, I would argue that you are incorrect.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Crap, this great thread has taken its course. May as well start comparing him to ledo to put this thread out of its misery.

Reaction Score
Even those of us who were behind KO as JC's replacement ever since he became an assistant have been kind of holding our breath to see what the next chapter in the KO era would be like. We were all thrilled with what he got out of what he was left with, under incredibly tough conditions in his maiden voyage. But long term, we knew that his ability to assemble his own team was key to the future of Husky basketball. I was never worried about it, but now I'm beyond ecstatic.

Boys and girls, we are witnessing magic happening. JC was a lightning strike. A once in a lifetime stroke of good fortune. Except once in a lifetime appears to have happened again!

It took JC 12 years to win his first NC. KO will do it in 5. Admittedly, JC started with far less, and his legacy is part of what will make it easier for KO. But he also had the best b-ball conference the world has ever seen as a springboard -- a luxury that KO will have to find ways to work around.

When you visit other boards and see threads discussing UConn (say, the Louisville board) fans have basically buried UConn. They think the program is dead, done. I'm not talking about haters--such as the juice squeezers in central NY. But fans who are otherwise neutral on the matter. Senore is doing a great job in one thread--but as for the rest? They think the program is down for the count.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So when we were in HS and there was no weights or trainers and all we did was suicides, push ups, sit ups, leg lifts and run games, yet we were plenty strong

Don't forget the walk to school, uphill both ways!

Reaction Score

+10000. Let's not freak out because the kid does some pushups before bed. I'm sure his posture will be fine. Let's just be happy he's coming.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Other boards that want to bury us , it's about wishful thinking on their part. No facts to back up that thinking.
I know, I'm guessing that Providence has written our obituary about five times by now (my favorite was the summer of 2010 when we supposedly missed out on every recruit and had to settle for a number of third and fourth choices, only to win the title) while Cuse fans are on their third.

I have $200 that says we win #4 before Cuse wins #2. I'll throw another $200 on our winning #4 before PC makes a regional final.

Reaction Score
Don't weight train because want to keep explosive athleticism?????????????? WTF. The ignorance of what proper weight training can do is insane. The advice most high school kids are getting is mind boggling. What makes it crazier is that his older brother is playing in the NBA and should be teaching him. If this kid can't increase his no step vertical by 5 inches in the first 1-2 years at UConn than the S & C staff should be fired.

Some guys just don't like/need to lift weights. There are a lot of different body types that can be good at basketball. Rip Hamilton's workout routine is pretty much entirely based around stretching and running.

Now, Rip's no "Sportsman5", but he has won an NCAA and NBA title.

Reaction Score
Some guys just don't like/need to lift weights. There are a lot of different body types that can be good at basketball. Rip Hamilton's workout routine is pretty much entirely based around stretching and running.

Now, Rip's no "Sportsman5", but he has won an NCAA and NBA title.

I apologize again for continuing to go off topic, but what people are saying is so absurd that I have to respond.

What you are saying does not make sense. If you train your central nervous system properly than you will be able to run faster and jump higher. Building absolute strength and increasing explosive athleticism will help every single basketball player in the world. Period. Some players ride their genetics. That does not mean that they couldn't have been better if they did everything possible to optimize their performance. The bottom line is many players get bad advice from people who don't know what they are talking about. A lot of these people are supposedly experts. If rip didn't do proper resistance training, than that is too bad. He could have been better with his same skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom