DANIEL HAMILTON TO UCONN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DANIEL HAMILTON TO UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually it was a fast as can be trip to come and assist son & daughter-in-law with move back to the East Coast. So, next week it's turn around and head to Southern Maryland.

Let's hope for a nice big, for the 4 or 5 slot, from the Class of '14 when I get to the end of that trip. Never know, you add good ones like Purvis & Hamilton, and others can fall off the fence to come and play with them, and avoid the slot being given to someone else.

Ha, not many people can claim to do that drive. I'd love the time to do that. While, I have the time, I don't have the plans. Someday....

I'm with you. I'd love Chukwu and Adu/Black to join the front line... we just need another ball handler & shooter. Hopefully after the summer is over, we can secure some good players at those positions. Fingers crossed!

Reaction Score
This is awesome news. We might no longer be in a major conference, but KO is keeping UConn as a major player in college hoops.

Welcome to college basketball Mecca Daniel Hamilton.

Reaction Score
Pumped about this commit. But what's this jazz about an "up and coming program?" Last time I checked we were pretty established with only UCLA, UK, IU, Duke, & NC having won more championships.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
At first it was a lot of "best player on the court outclassing the opposition" but then there was a sequence of a bunch of double clutch, adjust the shot in the air kinda stuff that showed he can also score against guys who are equal in size and care about trying to stop him. Of course you'll never see Kemba style determination and just plain magic in these mixtapes, but it looks like he's got all the tools.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
At first it was a lot of "best player on the court outclassing the opposition" but then there was a sequence of a bunch of double clutch, adjust the shot in the air kinda stuff that showed he can also score against guys who are equal in size and care about trying to stop him. Of course you'll never see Kemba style determination and just plain magic in these mixtapes, but it looks like he's got all the tools.

He shows a lot of touch. I love the way he uses the glass.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
With Purvis and Hamilton in the fold - what big would not want to play along side these guys. This signing opens up tiny possibles into let me take a longer look and maybe leaners to i'd better decide before my place is gone - this is what happens when you get multiple top 50 recruits with more schollies available. OUTSTANDING

Reaction Score
Late to the party.. Great pick up!!! Can't wait to see him develop under KO

Reaction Score
"But what's this jazz about an "up and coming program?" Last time I checked we were pretty established with only UCLA, UK, IU, Duke, & NC having won more championships."

I have to post the full quote again because too many media folks are getting it wrong. This is from Bossi, who interviewed him first w/ Meyer

"I feel they are an up-and-coming program under him," Hamilton said. "He's going to let me play my game, and he does that with his guys. I was up there on my visit playing pick-up with them, and it felt good."

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Daniel looks like another long three in the mold of Stanley Robinson and Rudy Gay but from the videos already has a better handle and is a far better passer.
He is certainly quite thin right now but if his brothers are an indication, he should be able to put on weight efficiently and gain strength.
Hopefully, given that he older brother has a very favorable financial outlook, he won't have the pressure of a family desperate to get income as a pressure to leave school for the NBA, before he is ready.
It is great to see Coach Ollie's LA roots bear some fruit. I also wonder if coincidentally, the undesirable frequent travel to Texas that our teams will have to live with will have a positive effect on recruiting in the TX area and further west, as it means it might be easier for families to see a prospective player play during the road games (flights are relatively easy to Dallas, New Orleans and Houston from many places out West).

Reaction Score
Daniel looks like another long three in the mold of Stanley Robinson and Rudy Gay but from the videos already has a better handle and is a far better passer.
He is certainly quite thin right now but if his brothers are an indication, he should be able to put on weight efficiently and gain strength.
Hopefully, given that he older brother has a very favorable financial outlook, he won't have the pressure of a family desperate to get income as a pressure to leave school for the NBA, before he is ready.
It is great to see Coach Ollie's LA roots bear some fruit. I also wonder if coincidentally, the undesirable frequent travel to Texas that our teams will have to live with will have a positive effect on recruiting in the TX area and further west, as it means it might be easier for families to see a prospective player play during the road games (flights are relatively easy to Dallas, New Orleans and Houston from many places out West).

I don't know if I see the Stanley Robinson comp. He looks like he has a much better handle, is a much better shooter, much better creator, passer, etc. Stanley was a leaper and that was almost all of his offensive game. Hamilton looks like a really well-rounded player. He's also not as thin as most of the videos are showing. The most recent one shows an impressively more filled out player.

Reaction Score
This is awesome news. We might no longer be in a major conference, but KO is keeping UConn as a major player in college hoops.

Welcome to college basketball Mecca Daniel Hamilton.

For bball, this will still be a solid conference.

Reaction Score
Interview from last year. 1. UConn not mentioned (big ups to Ollie) 2. no weight training

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He may be thin but he has grown up learning to play against contact

Reaction Score
Interview from last year. 1. UConn not mentioned (big ups to Ollie) 2. no weight training

Don't weight train because want to keep explosive athleticism?????????????? WTF. The ignorance of what proper weight training can do is insane. The advice most high school kids are getting is mind boggling. What makes it crazier is that his older brother is playing in the NBA and should be teaching him. If this kid can't increase his no step vertical by 5 inches in the first 1-2 years at UConn than the S & C staff should be fired.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Don't weight train because want to keep explosive athleticism?????????????? WTF.
yeah seriously....what idiotic coaches has this kid had all his life?

yeah, don't squat....you'll lose your explosive jumping ability. do these kids even think about what they say/do before they say/do it or what they hear from coaches?

it is truly incredible how many people are as clueless as this guy, but you can't even really blame him. he's only 17. so who are the people sitting by and telling him that what he's doing is okay?

Reaction Score
yeah seriously....what idiotic coaches has this kid had all his life?

yeah, don't squat....you'll lose your explosive jumping ability. do these kids even think about what they say/do before they say/do it or what they hear from coaches?

it is truly incredible how many people are as clueless as this guy, but you can't even really blame him. he's only 17. so who are the people sitting by and telling him that what he's doing is okay?

There are a lot of coaches at that level who's entire basis in weight training knowledge is hearsay. I'll add this story, though I have told it before on here. My roommate at UConn was a strength training major and one of the major guys in the program used to work at Penn St. He told the story that when Paterno was still coaching, his requirement would be for the players to do one set to failure of whatever exercise. Anyone who has a basic knowledge of what to do in a gym knows how ridiculous that is. So, when he walked in the facility, they'd all pretend to be doing that, and when he left, they'd go back to their real workouts. I understand not wanting to bulk up too much, but not using weights at all seems like a bad influence got in his ear.

Reaction Score
Jeez, a little harsh on a year old video of a 17 year old kid?

I'm sure everyone commenting here is just the picture of fitness and had kinesiology down pat in high school lol.

I wasn't attacking him in anyway. I was just expressing how shocked I was that his coaches and his older brother have not guided him better. Not only is he not doing the right things, but he's also doing the wrong things. Pushups and sit ups will most likely lead to imbalances that can cause injury and will actually restrict his ability to maximize speed and jumping ability. I can already tell from his videos that his posture has been affected. There are likely several reasons for his posture, but I can guarantee just doing pushups and situps is a contributor. Pullups will often times make the same pattern worse. Young athletes who plan to play professionally need to start thinking about injury prevention and keeping the body balanced. One would think Jordan Hamilton would have been taught all of these things at Texas and told his brothers. Someone in this chain failed. Could be Texas, Jordan, Daniel not listening....who knows. Its just scary to think that these kids could be A) performing at a much higher level at a young age B) preventing a lot of the injuries that they experience later in their career as college or professional athletes. Performance can be increased once they get to college. However, once overcompensation patterns have been developed by their body it usually takes a lot of knowledge of multiple modalities in order to fix. This involves 1. people with the assessment skills and knowledge of what needs to be done 2. money to pay for the treatment plans 3. a commitment from the player to fix issues. To sum up my original point about proper weight training there are a lot of bad things that can happen if a player isn't keeping his body balanced and a lot of good things he's missing out on if he isn't weight training.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
confirms KO is a great recruiter, check
confirms UConn is still a brand name, check
confirms KO and the kids he recruits know the program will remain NBAU, check

who woulda thought that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online