DANIEL HAMILTON TO UCONN | Page 8 | The Boneyard

DANIEL HAMILTON TO UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I apologize again for continuing to go off topic, but what people are saying is so absurd that I have to respond.

What you are saying does not make sense. If you train your central nervous system properly than you will be able to run faster and jump higher. Building absolute strength and increasing explosive athleticism will help every single basketball player in the world. Period. Some players ride their genetics. That does not mean that they couldn't have been better if they did everything possible to optimize their performance. The bottom line is many players get bad advice from people who don't know what they are talking about. A lot of these people are supposedly experts. If rip didn't do proper resistance training, than that is too bad. He could have been better with his same skill set.

Or he could have done too much so that his ability to keep running off the ball would have been limited by over training..........you know what's absurd here is you believe everyone is the same a freakin robot.....they're not!! Skilled athletes do it the way they want and most eventually understand they need to do specific exercises and training to get better at their weaknesses....it doesn't always happen at 17-18 years old and that's where this started not with Rip in the NBA.......

Reaction Score
Or he could have done too much so that his ability to keep running off the ball would have been limited by over training..........you know what's absurd here is you believe everyone is the same a freakin robot.....they're not!! Skilled athletes do it the way they want and most eventually understand they need to do specific exercises and training to get better at their weaknesses....it doesn't always happen at 17-18 years old and that's where this started not with Rip in the NBA.......

Of course you customize a program to the athlete.

If a player trains properly, than the amount of energy used to increase athleticism is so small compared to what a basketball player puts into the rest of his training that it is almost insignificant. Doing sets of contrast training where a player trains the central nervous system for maximal activation would take a TOTAL of a few minutes under tension between lifting/ pushing/ jumping/ sprinting. If he is overtraining, than there are numerous other things that are more significant reasons for it.

I'm not concerned with what an average high school player does who won't play past high school. My question is how a player who should have access to information and plans to play for another 15 years not do what is optimal. After seeing the responses in this thread I have found that out. The amount of misinformation and following of anecdotal evidence is rampant. The amount of people influencing these kids who have absolutely not clue is amazingly high. I feel bad for the kids who have tons of potential and don't make it because of horrible advice they got from people who were supposed to be helping them. Daniel Hamilton is clearly getting a lot of good advice. I was just surprised by one thing. Other kids are really getting screwed over. If you are going to respond to anything I say in this thread, than PLEASE I beg you do some research into what I am talking about. Otherwise, we should try to salvage the very positive thread that we have pretty much destroyed.

Reaction Score
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/201...ditioning-coach-john-thomas-out-at-penn-state

It's not hearsay. There was a theory behind it. It's called HIT: High Intensity Training. Some NFL teams still use it. And it's why Paterno's S&C coach was there for 20+ years. And, no, the players didn't do what they wanted when Paterno wasn't there, because the entire staff used the same method.

http://www.drweitz.com/scientific/hit.htm
I mean this guy was on their s&c staff and literally said in the lecture that the entire rest of the staff and coaches had a different training program, and that they only went to Paterno's when he was in the facility.

Reaction Score
I mean this guy was on their s&c staff and literally said in the lecture that the entire rest of the staff and coaches had a different training program, and that they only went to Paterno's when he was in the facility.

This has been an open topic of controversy at Penn State for over a decade. Much talked about and discussed. John Thomas was fired precisely because he was using HIT, which Paterno favored. This is why I'm trying to figure out what the ex-staff person is talking about. HIT is exactly as you described in the earlier post--many reps to failure. That's what Paterno favored. But it's also what Thomas brought with him from the NFL. And he was fired because of that when O'Brien came in.

Reaction Score
We?

Where did this come from? Is this really another "lets take an offhand comment by a 17 year old at an AAU event and analyze it to the point of absurdity"?

Here is what happened. I made a relevant comment about something Hamilton said in the video. Others attacked me as incorrect using horrible arguments. I defended myself. Others tried again to say I was wrong when I am 100% correct, so I defended myself again. That is where it came from.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Here is what happened. I made a relevant comment about something Hamilton said in the video. Others attacked me as incorrect using horrible arguments. I defended myself. Others tried again to say I was wrong when I am 100% correct, so I defended myself again. That is where it came from.
Hamilton is 17. He will be ok even though you are absolutely right and others may be wrong.

Reaction Score
This has been an open topic of controversy at Penn State for over a decade. Much talked about and discussed. John Thomas was fired precisely because he was using HIT, which Paterno favored. This is why I'm trying to figure out what the ex-staff person is talking about. HIT is exactly as you described in the earlier post--many reps to failure. That's what Paterno favored. But it's also what Thomas brought with him from the NFL. And he was fired because of that when O'Brien came in.

I can't provide you with anything other than what I have. This information just comes by way of a former S&C staff member at PSU, who took a position at UConn. It's not first hand knowledge and I haven't researched it beyond what I heard.

Reaction Score
Hamilton's High School coach on him:

@NeillOstrout: Derrick Taylor on Hamilton: “He’s not the scorer his older brothers are yet but he already affects the game in more ways."
@NeillOstrout: More Taylor: “I see his versatility. He can do just about anything, He defends you, he scores, he passes. Every minute he competes.”

Reaction Score
Word on he street is he was going to commit a month ago but was so pissed off about the new husky and his "blue toupee" that Ollie had to work him for another month to seal the deal. Was apparently worried that the entire country would forget who UConn basketball was because they no longer had an all white Husky who was begging for a treat as a logo.

Reaction Score

I think he was 15 years old in that interview. You might be right but a lot of kids his age are under the impression lifting weights can stunt your growth. I wouldn't give his lifting routine much thought. He's rising in the rankings like crazy so I wouldn't say he's getting poor advice. Now that he's committed to UConn he will receive a proper workout routine. UConn has always had the most fit players. Hamilton has been improving his game and should be top 10 pretty soon. That's what we should all be happy about.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
ebosshoops
Late night scoop.... Daniel Hamilton tells myself and @jerrymeyer247 in an interview that he has committed to #UCONN
5/10/13 11:49 PM

ebosshoops
Hamilton loves how Ollie made him his guy and gives his players freedom on the floor.
5/10/13 11:53 PM

YEAHHHH BUDDDDYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Sorry to be so late with this but YYYYEEEESSS

Reaction Score
"Ollie is looking for ball-handlers at every position."

After a half-decade with the likes of Stanley Robinson and Roscoe Smith playing on the wing, it sure is refreshing to hear that Ollie wants someone in that position who can handle the ball.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I like how he mentions playing video games with DD and RB. Must be friendly guys.

Reaction Score
Thats Probably wear it helped make him feel like family/brothers.

I just think it's the program. This is where I'm so happy that we kept Calhoun's replacement IN THE FAMILY. Look at our coaching staff. We've gone through a lot recently (sanctions, new coach, new conference, new logo), but we are still the same, powerful basketball program.

Our coaches know UConn. They know our tradition. Family is a big part of that.

Reaction Score
Like it or not having JC around is still huge.....did you see the interview with Rodney he was happy he got to see and chat with JC and expects there will be more!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom