Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Part of the reason Newton didn't give us anything is because Jackson demands 0 respect on offense and allows the other team to play 4v5. Jackson just kept shooting us into a hole because for the majority of the game, we could not get an open look.

Bc Jackson’s defender was standing under the basket. Where could Newton go?
I can understand this point of view.

Reaction Score
People keep bringing up Marquette blow out...anyone notice Jackson played only 23 minutes, shot 5 shots. That's what needs to happen every game. Match him up as much as possible on defensive side ONLY. If hes on the side of offense its essentially 5 on 4 and hurts out shooters/playmakers. Hurley needs to figure this out more and he should never play more than 25 minutes a game unless absolutely necessary. Think about it, if he play close to 30 minutes (28 today) in a 40 minute game thats essentially only 12 minutes of actual HARD defense the other team needs to play.

Reaction Score

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
How many offensive rebounds did AJ man get today. I just don’t get it. If we have any chance this year Hurley has to take AJ out of the starting lineup. Maybe give him 10-15 minutes off the bench. But if he starts with the turn overs on no look passes and let’s his man get to the offensive glass he is a liability plain and simple.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Teams sag off of Jackson more than Sanogo. This is a Jackson coaching/Hurley issue. Fixed it for you. We've seen it 1,000 times, DH has to plan for it and adjust.

Reaction Score
Woulda been nice to have those 20 seconds we let drain off the clock.
True. But, all game long, the physicality that Hawkins put on Alexander was ignored, but was conveniently quickly whistled on that play. But there is no reason, Hawkins was not coached to understand the consequence of a quick/tight whistle would have on the game.

Reaction Score
He played Ajax too much when he he didn't have and had better options
Offensively, yes. But overall? Not so much.

If the team is struggling to score, and you want to sub for Jackson, it needs to be Calcaterra, not Alleyne or Diarra. To be honest, the best answer might be to play Sanogo and Clingan together. But Hurley is too damn stubborn for that. So, if he subs Alleyne or Diarra for Jackson, I would prefer not sub at all and just tell the kid to either drive or not shoot at all.

Screenshot_20230211_163248_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
He was played tight by their guards and when he drove there was always help defense because Scheierman was always near the rim since he was 15 feet off Jackson. I don't think individually Alleyne is significantly better than Jackson but I just feel like the offense will flow so much better with him in there instead.
Creighton is a really good defensive team and playing 4 on 5 offense is hard as hell. I was hoping we had maybe turned the corner with the way we're using Sanogo and Jackson on offense. This was a continuation of Sanogo being used the right way and a huge regression of Jackson being used the wrong way.

Reaction Score
I’m seeing 5+ before Georgetown and 4.5 since and drops to 4 if you get rid of 11? For Marquette? The point is we don’t seem to be playing “big” in the Big East like we did preconference.
You're seeing wrong, 33 blocks in the 13 games up to Georgetown

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
People keep bringing up Marquette blow out...anyone notice Jackson played only 23 minutes, shot 5 shots. That's what needs to happen every game. Match him up as much as possible on defensive side ONLY. If hes on the side of offense its essentially 5 on 4 and hurts out shooters/playmakers. Hurley needs to figure this out more and he should never play more than 25 minutes a game unless absolutely necessary. Think about it, if he play close to 30 minutes (28 today) in a 40 minute game thats essentially only 12 minutes of actual HARD defense the other team needs to play.
Meh.

I’ve said on here before that Newton is the key for Jackson. When Newton sucks, then Andre is forced into spots he doesn’t excel in.

Newton can’t be a ghost. He needs to be 10/4 every game for us to excel

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
John silver is a moron. Alleyne and Jackson both shooting 29% from 3 this year. Next?!
Alleyne’s defender wasn’t sitting under the basket and Alleyne was playing much much better than Jackson.

Reaction Score
Now they have an entire week off to figure out Ajax's role to finish season....he has to give us something on offense or can't play big mins.

Need to win 4 out of 5 minimum to "save face" in BE standings. If they can't finsh 12-8 in BE with this team that is pretty sad and very telling.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Another loss and it’s on Hurley. Example A for the 10000000000th time

There are only 4 UConn players in that shot. Not sure what that proves.

The pass Sanogo threw in 1st half to a cutting AJax for an easy dunk. Where did that play go?

fwiw, AJax had 3rd most shots, 3rd most points. Newton, Alleyne, & Joey all shot worse %. Hawk only slightly better. And AJax got at least a couple of rebounds that would've been 2nd chance opps for the Jays.

It's simply not all on him.

Reaction Score
Creighton shot 17 FT's and we shot 4. All ours came off 3 pt fouls because we couldn't get anything going in the paint because they could run a 2 man zone against all game with AJ in. Meanwhile we slap and hack when we over commit on defense. I love AJ. He's great on D, does the dirty work getting rebounds, diving for loose balls and brings intensity. But Hurley has to recognize these things and be the Coach and realize that some games just don't match up with AJ's skill set.

And still, if we score even one of our two blown fast breaks.. we win. Tip of the cap to Alexander. Made some ridiculous shots for them. If someone had told me "Can you believe we held Creighton to 56?" I'd have thought we won by 20+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom