Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t think Jackson is why we lost. He played the exact same way he played against Marquette. The barometer is Tristan Newton. He legit didn’t show up
This is such a bad post from an otherwise knowledgeable poster. AJ took twice as many shots today than Tuesday. Take away the dunks, it’s almost 4x. Nothing else needs to be said.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was the only one who showed up.

I know who didn’t show up Clingan. Oh my bad he did but was pine driven.

And it’s coaching malpractice to NOT have him in the game for the last play to throw to at half court do he finds a shooter cutting from either side. Just amazing and to have a guy throw the ball in play on that play with an arm like Johnny Damon is also amazingly awful.

Lots of bad, will try to stay away.

Seton Hall home a must!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With 10:18 left, UConn has the ball, down 1 at 44-45, and 3 of the 5 Creighton starters (Scheierman, Nembhard and Kalkbrenner) had barely come off the court and were completely gassed, plus Alexander had been busting his butt the whole game and was in foul trouble. Our whole team was basically fresh and the game was ours to lose. We scored 7 points between that point and Hawkins crazy foot on the line shot with 3 seconds left. I also don't think Creighton picked up a single foul over that period, and I can't think of a big call that we didn't get except maybe Sanogo's charge and Clingan getting pushed on his travel, and both of those were 50/50ish.

That game was UConn's to lose in that spot, and what did we do with it? Pissed away possession after possession with bad shots and a bad lineup on the court. 7 points in 10 minutes against a gassed defense whose best perimeter defender was in foul trouble? I don't like picking on one player, but AJax can't be on the court in that situation. He is too much of an offensive liability. And that is on Hurley

I can't believe UConn just did that, except that Hurley is our coach, so it makes complete sense that UConn lost that way. I bet, with 10:18 left, McDermott was thinking, "I am in big trouble. Except Hurley is on the other bench so I have a shot."

Reaction Score
This thread is longer than the great Marquette win post game thread in 18 minutes. This board really knows how to revel in misery
Was thinking the same thing. This board would seriously melt down if we made the title game but lost.

The Jackson possessions sucked but Creighton is dominant at home for a reason. Just gotta take care of business the rest of the regular season.

Reaction Score
Another winnable game on the road, lost by hero-ball (Jackson, Sanogo), no discipline on offense, bad/little passing, etc. Lousy coaching and leadership by Hurley. Nothing changes. Same pattern with our losses.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Blaming any 1 player for today's loss is ridiculous. All Creighton talked about was "make them take the shots WE want them to take". Hurley's response? Crickets. That's why we lost. Don't blame AJ, he doesn't run the offense.

Reaction Score
People keep bringing up Marquette blow out...anyone notice Jackson played only 23 minutes, shot 5 shots. That's what needs to happen every game. Match him up as much as possible on defensive side ONLY. If hes on the side of offense its essentially 5 on 4 and hurts out shooters/playmakers. Hurley needs to figure this out more and he should never play more than 25 minutes a game unless absolutely necessary. Think about it, if he play close to 30 minutes (28 today) in a 40 minute game thats essentially only 12 minutes of actual HARD defense the other team needs to play.
To be fair lots of people were hot and scoring at will against Marquette. No need for AJ to shoot. Today our shooting was way off. He needed to shoot more. But if he is going to shoot do it with confidence.

Reaction Score
With 10:18 left, UConn has the ball, down 1 at 44-45, and 3 of the 5 Creighton starters (Scheierman, Nembhard and Kalkbrenner) had barely come off the court and were completely gassed, plus Alexander had been busting his butt the whole game and was in foul trouble. Our whole team was basically fresh and the game was ours to lose. We scored 7 points between that point and Hawkins crazy foot on the line shot with 3 seconds left. I also don't think Creighton picked up a single foul over that period, and I can't think of a big call that we didn't get except maybe Sanogo's charge and Clingan getting pushed on his travel, and both of those were 50/50ish.

That game was UConn's to lose in that spot, and what did we do with it? Pissed away possession after possession with bad shots and a bad lineup on the court. 7 points in 10 minutes against a gassed defense whose best perimeter defender was in foul trouble? I don't like picking on one player, but AJax can't be on the court in that situation. He is too much of an offensive liability. And that is on Hurley

I can't believe UConn just did that, except that Hurley is our coach, so it makes complete sense that UConn lost that way. I bet, with 10:18 left, McDermott was thinking, "I am in big trouble. Except Hurley is on the other bench so I have a shot."
At one point Creighton grew a 6 point lead without hitting a FG. I think we missed shots on 6-7 possessions in a row during that stretch. It was the time to take control and we just didn't.

Reaction Score
Jackson is now a bench player that should come in with the second unit for defense. he is such a liability on offense that people can sag off him and double team our best offensive players. I was a little bewildered why Newton thought it was good to sit at the top of the key with both Jackson and Sanogo out there and not try to get picks and drive to the hoop. Newton was deferring on offense again and that killed us.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Blaming any 1 player for today's loss is ridiculous. All Creighton talked about was "make them take the shots WE want them to take". Hurley's response? Crickets. That's why we lost. Don't blame AJ, he doesn't run the offense.
Hurleys response was Adama face up. Which is why we were in game at all.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
A couple sequences decided this game. It was really lost with around 9-10 minutes left in the second half. We had a 3-1 break and all Diarra had to do was make the simple pass to Clingan for a dunk. Then we had 3 straight possessions with a bunch of chances and no execution. We should've went up by 5 points there and we remained down by 1.

The other sequence that decided the game was under 7 minutes left Jackson makes a turnover with nobody guarding him trying to force it into Sanogo when Adama was right next to him, Jackson fouls right away on the other end, then Jackson shoots an airball 3. This all happens with Alexander on the bench.

Creighton didn't score a field goal for 7 minutes and their best offensive player was on the bench and they extended the lead to 6.

Karaban makes a huge three to keep us in the game only down 3 and then Jackson bricks a floater and bricks a wide open 3.

We know we're terrible in close games and terrible on the road, these are the sequences where we should be grabbing a hold of the game. When it's a one possession game with a minute or two left, our chances of winning are incredibly low.

I love Jackson as a person and love some of the things he can do on the court but he really hurts this team on offense, when the opponent can back 10 feet off a player the entire game you're playing 4 on 5 basketball on the offensive end and it makes life really difficult for the 4 guys who have scoring ability.
The Office Thank You GIF

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
To be fair lots of people were hot and scoring at will against Marquette. No need for AJ to shoot. Today our shooting was way off. He needed to shoot more. But if he is going to shoot do it with confidence.
I mean if you want to compare today against marquette( and it’s not a fair comparison game plan wise) but here is the difference Newton and Hawkins sucked.

Reaction Score
A couple sequences decided this game. It was really lost with around 9-10 minutes left in the second half. We had a 3-1 break and all Diarra had to do was make the simple pass to Clingan for a dunk. Then we had 3 straight possessions with a bunch of chances and no execution. We should've went up by 5 points there and we remained down by 1.
100% this. We had a defensive lineup in and forced 3 straight turnovers. We had come back and were wresting the game from them. And then we just didn't do it.

This is the play-by-play, down 1 with 10 min left.

It went steal, miss, oreb, miss, oreb, travel.
Steal, miss.
Illegal screen, miss, oreb, miss, oreb, miss, oreb, miss.

All were either in the paint or open kick-out 3s.

Reaction Score
This thread is longer than the great Marquette win post game thread in 18 minutes. This board really knows how to revel in misery
Not saying right or wrong, but the last couple months it’s seemed almost like a relief to get wins. We played tremendous against Marquette. But we know with this team a stinker can be right around the corner. Beating Marquette by 15 and scoring 87, then coming to Creighton, putting on a poor performance and scoring 53 is what is the bummer.

Of course people have more to say when we lose. When we win it’s high 5s then we wait for @Storrs South to put out the highlights to bask in the win again. Losses are often more telling than wins anyways.

Reaction Score
I’ve read Hurley lost the game. I’ve read Jackson lost the game. I’ve read Newton lost the game. I’ve read the refs lost us the game.

I think Hawkins lost the game. He should have known that he wears a size 13 sneaker and not a size 11 sneaker. If he had that awareness, we may be talking about a UConn win. /s

Reaction Score
I'm not bothering to read this thread. I'm sure it's 80% octogenarians that only come out of the woodwork after losses.

In a wonderful irony, the people disliking my post are the octegenarians who only come out after losses. Maybe septegenarians if they know how to work the like button.

It's always funny, because half of these guys don't even know how to reply to comments or quote someone.

Reaction Score
Not saying right or wrong, but the last couple months it’s seemed almost like a relief to get wins. We played tremendous against Marquette. But we know with this team a stinker can be right around the corner. Beating Marquette by 15 and scoring 87, then coming to Creighton, putting on a poor performance and scoring 53 is what is the bummer.

Of course people have more to say when we lose. When we win it’s high 5s then we wait for @Storrs South to put out the highlights to bask in the win again. Losses are often more telling than wins anyways.
No I point out good things in games we win and bad things in game we lose so I know you aren't talking to me but just making sure. LOL! . I'm always consistent. To see what we threw out there on offense today was embarrassing and a travesty and ultimately rests with Hurley. He is so slow to recognize that Newton was deferring on offense to Jackson and that Jackson was off today like the Xavier game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can’t be bothered to look up the exact numbers, but the combo of Xavier, Marquette, Providence, & Creighton has not lost a home Big East game this year. Something like 40-0 now.

It is what it is.

If we execute better in last 10min, we could have been the first to take one of them down at home. Didn’t do it.

Reaction Score
The worst part is when Ajax touches the ball on offense now even the opposing fans are screaming "SHOOT" "SHOOT".....it was loud and clear on TV so imagine at the arena how it sounds.....it's a problem. I feel for him, can't be fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds