Cord Cutters | Page 34 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
Now things are getting really annoying with YouTubeTv. I just received an email from Roku about a dispute with YouTubeTV and that they may not carry YouTubeTV if it is not resolved. YouTubeTv dropped NESN/YES last October too. This seems like an ongoing theme, and now every TV with Roku won’t work? Come on!

How bad is FuboTV?
I think we are still in a major transition stage for streaming. YouTubeTV appears to be trying to be cable tv. They brag about adding more content, but much of it is the same crap I walked away from with cable. I still think we are heading towards more modular packages/stations. At first I thought that would be a bad thing, but then I realized that I don't need 98% of what is on YTTV.

But I also think Roku and Firestick are going to have issues as well. They are basically the cable box... or the iphone, yet they are trying to continuing fees on their stick. They took a long time to approve other streaming apps. I thought that was the content-provider's fault, but I can see it being Roku/Amazon. I can't imagine it's hard for competitors to pop up that will be more expensive (because they have less continuing revenue), but more open.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
as always, the answer is elon. i messed with the howard hughes satnet last year, but it's still wonky. it will get better, way better. the chinese are freaking out cuz, you know, freedom, leaky net clampdown, the whole kit and kaboodle of our vastly superior technology based on choice.
howard hughes and elon musk. one dead, one alive, and both laughing from the finish line while everrone else is still tying their shoes at the starting gate.
Elon Musk says Starlink internet service will be ‘fully mobile’ in 2021 - The Verge

Reaction Score
as always, the answer is elon. i messed with the howard hughes satnet last year, but it's still wonky. it will get better, way better. the chinese are freaking out cuz, you know, freedom, leaky net clampdown, the whole kit and kaboodle of our vastly superior technology based on choice.
howard hughes and elon musk. one dead, one alive, and both laughing from the finish line while everrone else is still tying their shoes at the starting gate.
Elon Musk says Starlink internet service will be ‘fully mobile’ in 2021 - The Verge
Seen some YouTube videos on this Starlink service. setup seems to be easy, small dish that comes with it, self activates to find the best satellite available...and with a price of roughly $100/month. Initial cost around...I believe just under $500.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and speaking aboot the obvious, and having almost zero knowlege aboot 'movies,' i always found dis one to be highly prescient:
'The resistance group look to hijack the ICS broadcast network's uplink facilities to expose the government's lies.' key word -'uplink.'
The Running Man (1987 film) - Wikipedia 34 years ago. some of those ol timey sci-fi movies were so on it. like dis one:
The Andromeda Strain (film) - Wikipedia forget the extraterrestrial stuff. key word 'virulent,' ie unknown bug.
the running man?
'The original 1987 film received mixed reviews, though it has been praised for accurately predicting elements of 21st century life that have indeed come to pass.'
Edgar Wright Directing Stephen King’s The Running Man at Paramount | IndieWire aboot time. ahh, the classics.
cord cutting, indeed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone know if municipal broadband is allowed in CT? I feel like this would solve a lot of the pricing issues with internet providers. Currently paying over $100 for 300 mbs speed, which is ridiculous

Reaction Score
I think we are still in a major transition stage for streaming. YouTubeTV appears to be trying to be cable tv. They brag about adding more content, but much of it is the same crap I walked away from with cable. I still think we are heading towards more modular packages/stations. At first I thought that would be a bad thing, but then I realized that I don't need 98% of what is on YTTV.

But I also think Roku and Firestick are going to have issues as well. They are basically the cable box... or the iphone, yet they are trying to continuing fees on their stick. They took a long time to approve other streaming apps. I thought that was the content-provider's fault, but I can see it being Roku/Amazon. I can't imagine it's hard for competitors to pop up that will be more expensive (because they have less continuing revenue), but more open.
I have had good luck with Fubo TV for about a year, but will drop it when something better comes along. No YES, but I am a Red Sox fan. No CNN, but I don’t watch news. No TNT, TBS, TRU TV which made it tough to follow NCAA Tournament, but I didn’t give a crap once UConn lost.

On very rare occasions I get buffering, but not sure if it’s a FUBO issue, or a GoNetSpeed issue.

Reaction Score
I have had good luck with Fubo TV for about a year, but will drop it when something better comes along. No YES, but I am a Red Sox fan. No CNN, but I don’t watch news. No TNT, TBS, TRU TV which made it tough to follow NCAA Tournament, but I didn’t give a crap once UConn lost.

On very rare occasions I get buffering, but not sure if it’s a FUBO issue, or a GoNetSpeed issue.
How is the Fubo DVR?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how fast and how reliable CenturyLink and Spectrum are for internet?

Spectrum is "OK" but highly local-system dependent. In my experience, it's the worst of cable providers, but better than any reasonable DSL alternative.

Reaction Score
I'm a techno dumb ass. Bust my bubble and help me anticipate what I am missing.

I have a boat I in RI at the moment, that I intend to live on in the winter months in Fort Lauderdale as my waterfront 'condo'.

In the winter months the NFL is all network tv for playoffs. I want UConn men & women, the ncaa tournament both men & women, CNBC, and some programming/movies. I'd only care about tv at the dock, and at times I'd love to record and watch at my convenience with a DVR.

Many similar boats have Tracvision and Tracphone SAT systems installed for $2000 to $5000, then also have the costs of subscribing to SAT TV or Internet +content. Direct TV requires a 24 mos commitment which is crazy.

At Verizon I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5e Tablet for $280, (which may not be the latest and greatest). They associate the tablet with a new wireless number with a $35 line startup fee. I expect to buy a chromecast or similar device for $50 or so. I will have $365 into the project. ($400 with an Over-The-Air antenna)

Verizon gave me an 'Unlimited' streaming plan for $20 mos + the misc fees which I expect to actually be $25 to $28 mos.
I don't know how to assess the capabilities of the stream speed and bandwidth. I don't know how to assess 'throttling' that might take place. I am just trusting the salesperson's representation that I will be able to stream endlessly and satisfactorily from sources like Hulu and I shouldn't need to worry about the details.

I have my home credentials from Spectrum to access WatchESPN, FoxSports, etc. My cell phone package includes the Hulu base program library, Disney, and ESPN+ which I can evidently use on this device. I also bought an Over-The-Air antenna for $40 to see what I can get for free in RI or FL. It seems I have a lot for under $30 mos?

During the winter I could upgrade to add HuluLive for $65 with ads or $71 without ads, and I would have a full channel package for $100 per month for 4 months then cut it off again. That would also give me DVR in the 'cloud' supposedly.
I could even access HuluLive with my son's credentials and maybe keep my winter bill at $30 mos? Also I could use my wife's NetFlix account which I never have.

I've got to be missing something because the arrangement seems too good to be true.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dear Roku Customer,

We are disappointed to share the news that Google has chosen to let the YouTube TV contract expire.

While this news is unfortunate, we wanted to let you know that we are taking an extra step to ensure existing Roku users like yourself retain access to YouTube TV while we work to reach an agreement.

We will always stand up for our users, which is why we cannot accept Google's unfair and anticompetitive requirements that would allow for the manipulation of your search results, impact the usage of your data and ultimately cost you more.

Our commitment is to always put your interests first and therefore we will continue to offer existing users access to YouTube TV unless Google takes actions that require the full removal of the channel. New subscribers will not be allowed at this time. It is also important that you do not delete the YouTube TV channel as it will not be available for download to Roku devices.

We remain committed to reaching a good-faith agreement with Google that preserves your access to YouTube TV, honors your desired search preferences and protects your data. We hope to update you soon.

Thank you,

Roku

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Where's the Google announcement blaming Roku?

Carriage fee wars by any other name...

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Reaction Score
It is getting ridiculous. I might honestly drop youtubetv. No NESN, YES, MSG and now I might have to get a amazon fire stick for my Roku TV. Google is being ridiculous.

Reaction Score
It is getting ridiculous. I might honestly drop youtubetv. No NESN, YES, MSG and now I might have to get a amazon fire stick for my Roku TV. Google is being ridiculous.

If I'm not mistaken you'll still be able to use YouTube TV... I think this only applies to people signing up for youtube tv from now on.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Definitely not 100% sure on this

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken you'll still be able to use YouTube TV... I think this only applies to people signing up for youtube tv from now on.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Definitely not 100% sure on this
You are correct now. If you have already have it it will still work for now. That could change though and it might be pulled entirely. And depending on which company is talking it's the other ones fault.

Reaction Score
To be clear, even if ROKU doesn't work you can access youtube on some tvs that are smart, but I have one smart TV that needed Roku. Some apps only come up on roku though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this is a good thing, trying to keep YouTube.tv in check. I'm not leaving Roku for YouTube, Roku is where my loyalty lies. The YouTubes are easily replaced.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how fast and how reliable CenturyLink and Spectrum are for internet?

I live in North Carolina, I have spectrum I have 400 Mb/s down and spectrum is awful. Haven't heard good things about Centurylink either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom