Cord Cutters | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
We’re a few months in with YouTubeTV.

Not only do I enjoy not paying Altice/Optimum, I very much prefer the YouTube service.

I love YoutubeTV, my only complaint is it starting to get as expensive as cable, in the last 18 months YoutubeTV has gone from $39.99 to $64.99 per month with virtually zero added programming.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I find myself debating cutting the cord. But since my wife wants the home phone to remain in effect, it doesn't seem cost effective for me.

As @Chuck said, the add on streaming services will be the same anyway.
You can get a home phone through ooma for $6-7 per month.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I love YoutubeTV, my only complaint is it starting to get as expensive as cable, in the last 18 months YoutubeTV has gone from $39.99 to $64.99 per month with virtually zero added programming.

They've added the Viacom channels and sports channels, so there has been some upgrade .

Whether or not you would choose to add those channels is a separate discussion

I'm about one price hike away from looking hard at swapping out.

Reaction Score
I'm not saving any money. I have the Amazon Fire Stick and I still have Xfinity Digital Premium (I think), but I don't want to cut anything until I'm sure I can get all of the games down here. I understand things are still up in the air, but I wish they would come out with a preliminary schedule. I think they usually come out in early- or mid-Sept.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I’ve been following this thread for a while but never pulled the trigger on cord cutting. I have Fios 50/50 (but actual speeds are 60+), no movie channels but almost everything else (I think it was called the xtreme package), multiroom DVR, access to ESPN+, nick etc via web. Final cost $144/mo. Does not sound drastically different than the new YouTube deal and internet only if you throw in router, DVR, taxes etc.

Reaction Score
Because when you switch from Hulu to YouTubeTV to Fubo to whomever, you don't lose whatever you have recorded.

The interface is also excellent.

Please provide the referral you mentioned. Is this a "cloud" system or a physical DVR we have to buy?

Reaction Score
I’ve been following this thread for a while but never pulled the trigger on cord cutting. I have Fios 50/50 (but actual speeds are 60+), no movie channels but almost everything else (I think it was called the xtreme package), multiroom DVR, access to ESPN+, nick etc via web. Final cost $144/mo. Does not sound drastically different than the new YouTube deal and internet only if you throw in router, DVR, taxes etc.

That ESPN+ will come in handy for the Tulane/ECU games........... :rolleyes:
Oh, the joy to leave that bunch behind and relive the glory days..........yes we will.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
That ESPN+ will come in handy for the Tulane/ECU games........... :rolleyes:
Oh, the joy to leave that bunch behind and relive the glory days..........yes we will.
It may still come in handy depending on where our games are hosted. I watched SNY games on ESPN+ as I'm out of state.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They've added the Viacom channels and sports channels, so there has been some upgrade .

Whether or not you would choose to add those channels is a separate discussion

I'm about one price hike away from looking hard at swapping out.

I think these streaming companies need to be mindful of that - once a customer has gone through the difficult process of cutting the cord and has gotten rid of their cable boxes, the thought of bouncing from one streaming service to another is not going to deter anyone.

Reaction Score

I got rid of Spectrum Cable in February. The bill was at $200 per month. While, I was disappointed in the 8 channel addition of the CBS Viacom channels like MTV, TV Land and such. YTTV adding NFL NETWORK makes many people happy. I like the 3 streams at once. My wife loves the unlimited DVR.
With my internet of $70 and YTTV at $65, I'm happy!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I got rid of Spectrum Cable in February. The bill was at $200 per month. While, I was disappointed in the 8 channel addition of the CBS Viacom channels like MTV, TV Land and such. YTTV adding NFL NETWORK makes many people happy. I like the 3 streams at once. My wife loves the unlimited DVR.
With my internet of $70 and YTTV at $65, I'm happy!

Same.

Reaction Score
After 6+ months with YouTubeTv, I'm very happy with it. I was a little aggravated with the recent price increase, because the CBS Viacom channels are useless to me, but I'm still saving $100 a month from what I was paying for DirecTV.

It was great to have on vacation as our rental had no cable or satellite service. I brought my lightning adapter and HDMI cord with me and connected my phone right to the TV.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Had Direct TV and Comcast for cable/internet. The two combined were ~300/mo.

I had Fire Sticks w/ Netflix and Disney+

Moved to Clinton, now I have Xfinity+ w/ internet for about $120 and the Netflix and Disney+

Going with Xfinity with my plan was less than just internet + YTTV

Reaction Score
Anyone use the Google Nest mesh system?

My guy @ Spectrum said if you're having any WiFi coverage issues it will make your house hum..

I had our cable modem & router installed on the 2nd floor when we bought the house (that's where the tech wanted to put it because he was too lazy to turn on another outlet) and last Spring we finished the basement and created the man cave - but WiFi was not as strong as it should be down there.. So I had Spectrum come out and move the router to the ground floor assuming that would improve the signal to the basement...? Now it's WORSE.. So ordering the Nest to sort out the issues... I hope?

Reaction Score

My guy @ Spectrum said if you're having any WiFi coverage issues it will make your house hum..

I had our cable modem & router installed on the 2nd floor when we bought the house (that's where the tech wanted to put it because he was too lazy to turn on another outlet) and last Spring we finished the basement and created the man cave - but WiFi was not as strong as it should be down there.. So I had Spectrum come out and move the router to the ground floor assuming that would improve the signal to the basement...? Now it's WORSE.. So ordering the Nest to sort out the issues... I hope?

Costco was running a deal last month where it was a pretty good price. I have 3 routers in my house and I'm about to add a 4th. I didn't like the Nest because the nodes didn't have the ability to hard wire. If they had that ability then I would purchase in a heartbeat. They have really great reviews. One of the best mesh systems.

Reaction Score

I have Google WiFi, the predecessor. I believe that the Nest version is faster. I've been a bit disappointed with the system now that I've moved up my internet speed. The mesh part is nice (not having to switch bands or extenders), but I now have 1 gig speed and I'm not getting close to that. Coming through the google router, I just got 561/833. Super fast, but not 1 gig. For wifi, I just got 430/380 on my ipad (not even sure an ipad can go faster than that) while in the same room as the router puck. In the back of the house, I just got 137/231. That's pretty good, but there are other times where it drops to as low as 25mbps in the same spot even if we're not using a ton of data in the house. I'm not sure why. That being said, our streaming has been fine since 1 gig is overkill.

I consider myself a somewhat sophisticated as an amateur with tech, but it's really hard to learn about network stuff. I have CAT5 cable running through my house, but it's not plugged into anything in the basement. I'm assuming I can somehow connect them and have network points to really cover the house, but there's no how to guide.

Reaction Score
I have Google WiFi, the predecessor. I believe that the Nest version is faster. I've been a bit disappointed with the system now that I've moved up my internet speed. The mesh part is nice (not having to switch bands or extenders), but I now have 1 gig speed and I'm not getting close to that. Coming through the google router, I just got 561/833. Super fast, but not 1 gig. For wifi, I just got 430/380 on my ipad (not even sure an ipad can go faster than that) while in the same room as the router puck. In the back of the house, I just got 137/231. That's pretty good, but there are other times where it drops to as low as 25mbps in the same spot even if we're not using a ton of data in the house. I'm not sure why. That being said, our streaming has been fine since 1 gig is overkill.

I consider myself a somewhat sophisticated as an amateur with tech, but it's really hard to learn about network stuff. I have CAT5 cable running through my house, but it's not plugged into anything in the basement. I'm assuming I can somehow connect them and have network points to really cover the house, but there's no how to guide.

The old Google WiFi mesh system I believe has an Ethernet port on each of the nodes. If you have a Cat5e cable already run, I would plug that into the router and you'll see better speeds from that router.

Reaction Score
Google Nest may break the bank... But wow, just wow.. I am astonished at the fact that the connection on all our TVs along with my XBox-One and PS4 are EXCELLENT - along with now getting 100+mp/s in speed tests after getting 30-40 before. We don't get the heavy speed in our area from Spectrum, and perhaps if I can squeeze a new modem out of them that speed will jump but I can easily say that I strongly strongly strongly suggest getting the Google Nest mesh system if your router is not covering enough of your house! WOW.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
After 6+ months with YouTubeTv, I'm very happy with it. I was a little aggravated with the recent price increase, because the CBS Viacom channels are useless to me, but I'm still saving $100 a month from what I was paying for DirecTV.

It was great to have on vacation as our rental had no cable or satellite service. I brought my lightning adapter and HDMI cord with me and connected my phone right to the TV.

An underrated benefit - your television service with cable is tied to your home location. With a streaming service, it doesn't care where you live - your service is wherever you are.

Reaction Score
About to cut the cord when we move to our new home in Sarasota, FL. Will no longer have home phone which we used for a fax line. Anyone have any recommendations for an internet-based fax service?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
An underrated benefit - your television service with cable is tied to your home location. With a streaming service, it doesn't care where you live - your service is wherever you are.
Mostly true although I learned the hard way that moving out of CT means no YES Network on Hulu. I ended up paying $50 for the season to watch the Yankees on MLBTv.

I think a nice benefit with a streaming stick/tv is you can place a TV anywhere in a room without having to be tied to wherever the cable outlet is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom