Cord Cutters | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
IM in Guilford. Looks like the same line up. Are UCONN games on FOXSports? Not listed.

My understanding FS1 has/will broadcast Big East games. The only uncertainty in all this is how SNY fits into the picture. I have to believe FS1 is similar to ESPN (past years). UConn games FS1 chooses not to broadcast I would believe this is where SNY comes into play...as in past years. Providing FS1 and SNY sign a contract.

The other unknown this year, will FS1 broadcast the "big game" or does ESPN have those rights or is ESPN even in the picture now? In the past years CBS Sports had a couple games also...what happens this year, stay tuned.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The other unknown this year, will FS1 broadcast the "big game" or does ESPN have those rights or is ESPN even in the picture now? In the past years CBS Sports had a couple games also...what happens this year, stay tuned.
The home team usually determines the network. All the Big East home games will be on a Fox of some sort.

Reaction Score
They need YES

Looks like NFL Network is now part of the regular subscription and they've added a Sports Plus option for $10.99 per month. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze YES in there.

I have no interest in most of Sports Plus. It includes NFL Red Zone, Fox Soccer Plus, Goltv (soccer), MAVTV (Motorsports), TVG (horse racing), and Stadium (news) and Fox College Sports. We're a soccer family, but I don't think we need those soccer channels. I'm a bit nervous about Fox College Sports, though. It includes "FCS Atlantic, FCS Central, and FCS Pacific." Does anyone know if Fox includes Big East games on Fox College Sports?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Looks like NFL Network is now part of the regular subscription and they've added a Sports Plus option for $10.99 per month. I'm surprised they didn't squeeze YES in there.

I have no interest in most of Sports Plus. It includes NFL Red Zone, Fox Soccer Plus, Goltv (soccer), MAVTV (Motorsports), TVG (horse racing), and Stadium (news) and Fox College Sports. We're a soccer family, but I don't think we need those soccer channels. I'm a bit nervous about Fox College Sports, though. It includes "FCS Atlantic, FCS Central, and FCS Pacific." Does anyone know if Fox includes Big East games on Fox College Sports?

I like that the NFL Net is on the regular package, but the sports pack has no appeal. TVG is basically free and Stadium is the ridiculous thing they play on the gas pump screens at Valero.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Or BeIN Sports. No sale for me.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
For me the sports add on will only be active for football season. RedZone is a must have. After the season, I'll stop sports plus. So happy they added this just in time!

Reaction Score
For the HULU experts, is it true that there's a significant lag when changing channels? In other words, with my DirecTV I can hit "previous" and instantly be back to the other channel. My wife's niece told her they have a long lag as they try to go back and forth.

Reaction Score
For the HULU experts, is it true that there's a significant lag when changing channels? In other words, with my DirecTV I can hit "previous" and instantly be back to the other channel. My wife's niece told her they have a long lag as they try to go back and forth.
Not a hulu expert but have had it for over a year. Not sure if it's my wifi, but there is def a transition time when switching channels..not as immediate as fios tv. My firestick doesn't have a "last channel" option so I need to go through the menu to switch channels. kind of a pia imo

Reaction Score
My cord has been cut for a few months now. Family of four with two teenagers. Here are my observations for those considering the cut:
  • I'm not saving as much money as I originally hoped, but I'm still saving. YouTube TV increased their price by $15 after my first month. Annoying, but I'm still saving $40 per month when comparing my fios home phone/internet/cable to my current fios internet/YouTube TV. I don't factor in all my subscriptions because I had them anyway. Also, my internet speed moved from 75/75 to 1 gig (although I don't get nearly that fast on wifi). We don't miss the phone.
  • It's not the same as watching cable. @Watchdog, as @NJHusky mentioned, you don't scroll through the channels and there is no "last channel" option when using a firestick (for Hulu or YouTube). That may be different on a Roku device. Also, I saw PS5 will have a media remote that maybe will have more options. You have to use the menu which can be a bit annoying to jump around. There may be a slight lag in starting the programming, but it's not too bad.
  • We don't miss cable at all. My son and I watch sports. My wife and I will watch some news. Maybe we'll watch a couple network / cable shows when they are back, but we use YouTube TV less than I thought. Either way, there hasn't been one time where we've said "I miss x channel" or "I wish we still had cable."
  • Although my initial decision to cut was financial, I actually find the product superior for my needs. Cable has some pros, but as mentioned above, we don't miss the product/service. An added benefit that I hadn't fully appreciated until now is the accessibility of the service everywhere. Cable charged a lot for boxes (and purchasing the remotes). I only had 2 cable boxes to shave some expenses. We had a tv in our bedroom and gym that could only get firestick content. Now that content includes YouTube TV. Also, when the family is watching something I don't like, I can watch a game on my ipad while still hanging out.
  • I don't find the YouTube TV DVR to be as intuitive as cable. I'm still getting used to that.

Reaction Score
I'm on Hulu now for YES but will switch to Fubo after Yankees season so I can get MSG. Both products have everything I need for college basketball too, so Yankees vs Rangers affects my changes.

As what @Chuck said, I mostly watch sports and the only channels my wife watches are HGTV or Food Network and it seems like every streaming service has that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Especially for those who switch between providers, i can't suggest Channels DVR enough. If you can stomach the tech cost, it's a no-brainer. Let me know if you need a referral.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I find myself debating cutting the cord. But since my wife wants the home phone to remain in effect, it doesn't seem cost effective for me.

As @Chuck said, the add on streaming services will be the same anyway.

Reaction Score
In related news, I think I'm finally going back to Sunday Ticket this season. I'm tired of turning on CBS on Sunday morning and seeing the Raiders playing Carolina.

Reaction Score
Especially for those who switch between providers, i can't suggest Channels DVR enough. If you can stomach the tech cost, it's a no-brainer. Let me know if you need a referral.
What is it? Why do I need to pay for DVR if it's included in my hulu?

Reaction Score
Trying to decide right now what to go with - I live in NC, so I can't get YES here no matter which provider I go with - it seems YouTube TV is the way to go - has NFL Network plus RedZone, and the majority of channels my family cares about. Plus the unlimited DVR as well. For those who have had it and Hulu Live at one time, which do you prefer? Thanks

Reaction Score
In related news, I think I'm finally going back to Sunday Ticket this season. I'm tired of turning on CBS on Sunday morning and seeing the Raiders playing Carolina.

Do you have HULU or Youtube tv? I ask this because if you have the latter you can switch your GPS location on your phone and watch whatever game you want without having to pay extra for Sunday ticket. This is what I do.

Reaction Score
Do you have HULU or Youtube tv? I ask this because if you have the latter you can switch your GPS location on your phone and watch whatever game you want without having to pay extra for Sunday ticket. This is what I do.

We do have Hulu but also switched back to DirectTv about 6 months ago and my wife just told me that whatever package we got gets us a year of Sunday Ticket for free.

Reaction Score

I believe there was one live Big East game on FCS last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom