Cord Cutters | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I cut the chord pre-pandemic (settled on Hulu because it carries the YES Network) and had never received a notification that I was getting close to my data limit and that's with two people working remote and one kid doing remote learning. I now received the same message from Xfinity a few days ago so I'm wondering what is going on. Did they change something with the packages?

Yes, the limits are new, announced this fall. The cap is 1.2TB. We have a couple of grace months in January and February before they would actually charge us for going over.

It will be interesting to see what happens. As people cut the cord, it is logical that the cost of bandwidth will go up. After all, it has been subsidized by those cable/phone/internet bundles. Then add people using home internet for work and school video calls for hours a day.

I'm going to build a spreadsheet to crunch the numbers on cutting the cord. Last time I did that it was going to cost me more to cut the cord.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Yes, the limits are new, announced this fall. The cap is 1.2TB. We have a couple of grace months in January and February before they would actually charge us for going over.

It will be interesting to see what happens. As people cut the cord, it is logical that the cost of bandwidth will go up. After all, it has been subsidized by those cable/phone/internet bundles. Then add people using home internet for work and school video calls for hours a day.

I'm going to build a spreadsheet to crunch the numbers on cutting the cord. Last time I did that it was going to cost me more to cut the cord.
Thanks, I didn't see the note on the new limits. I did some number crunching a year ago and cutting the chord made sense and truthfully I'd never go back to regular cable now. But with Hulu Live, YouTube TV, etc raising their prices, the break even of streaming vs regular cable tv is inching closer.

Reaction Score
in line with this thread...anyone have a bandwidth monitoring app they like? would be great if I could track by Mac address or other granular level...

Reaction Score
Thanks, I didn't see the note on the new limits. I did some number crunching a year ago and cutting the chord made sense and truthfully I'd never go back to regular cable now. But with Hulu Live, YouTube TV, etc raising their prices, the break even of streaming vs regular cable tv is inching closer.
I think in some cases it's already there...the big issue IMO is really the number of devices you need to pay for with cable. With streaming, once you have Roku there is no equip cost

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think in some cases it's already there...the big issue IMO is really the number of devices you need to pay for with cable. With streaming, once you have Roku there is no equip cost

Plus you can cancel at any time hassle-free, plus you don't have to pay that $10 regional sports fee. It adds up, but the difference is definitely closer than it was a few years ago.

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Yeah a $14/month fee to 'rent' a modem really grinds my gears. I need to look into just buying one.

Reaction Score
This (but we have Firesticks and a PS4). When we cut the cord I was a bit disappointed with the savings, but now I'm all in on the superiority. I had two boxes with fios because of the cost. That meant that a gym and bedroom tv could only get our streaming services. Now I have access to everything, everywhere, including the aforementioned tvs, but also my ipad when "watching" stuff with my family.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
in line with this thread...anyone have a bandwidth monitoring app they like? would be great if I could track by Mac address or other granular level...
Netflow.

But what are you actually looking for? if its home use you can see that in your router

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah a $14/month fee to 'rent' a modem really grinds my gears. I need to look into just buying one.
I bought an xfinity compatible gateway about 4 years ago from Best Buy. It was about $300 but I used points to partially offset it. It has since paid for itself and then some.

Reaction Score
Netflow.

But what are you actually looking for? if its home use you can see that in your router
THX Yes, want to see cumulative bandwidth usage by device on my home network. I noticed my internet was crazy slow this am...want to see what is hogging usage or if it's a network issue

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
THX Yes, want to see cumulative bandwidth usage by device on my home network. I noticed my internet was crazy slow this am...want to see what is hogging usage or if it's a network issue

Reaction Score
Not trying to read through 27 pages right now. We have YouTube TV and like it quite a bit but the pricing has crept up quite a bit. Has anyone tried T-Mobile T-Vision? It has FS1 and SNY.

I looked into it. Problem is, not available on Samsung and Roku for myself.

Reaction Score
Yup. Buy a modem and a wireless router. Make sure to buy a DOCSYS 3.1 modem and maybe a WIFI 6 compatible router. I bought mine a year and a half ago without any issues on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Yup. Buy a modem and a wireless router. Make sure to buy a DOCSYS 3.1 modem and maybe a WIFI 6 compatible router. I bought mine a year and a half ago without any issues on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
I have an Netgear Orbi mesh router with a satellite that works great, but I def need to change the modem.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?
Did that combination (ex Philos) about a month ago. Love it.....with YouTube TV haven’t missed a Husky game yet. The other bonus is that I’m now in Florida for the next three months so between Roku (brought one with me) and screen sharing from my iPhone and iPad, it’s like I never left home.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you have an AMEX card, it might a good time to give FUBU a try if you were thinking about it. They have a promotion (you need to opt in), where they will rebate you $20 a month for your first 3 months. Cancel anytime.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I looked into the cable replacements and so far, all of them fall short. Some of them don't even really save any money. It seems like every single service is missing something that either I or my wife would want. Basic stuff like Discovery Channel. History or Bravo. I found the comparison at this link helpful.

Live TV Streaming Services Channel Comparison - Cordcutting.com

Reaction Score
I looked into the cable replacements and so far, all of them fall short. Some of them don't even really save any money. It seems like every single service is missing something that either I or my wife would want. Basic stuff like Discovery Channel. History or Bravo. I found the comparison at this link helpful.

Live TV Streaming Services Channel Comparison - Cordcutting.com
Stop watching tv you will be happier. lol! The future is free streaming services.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What are the best subscriptions to get and what are good the bundles? Also, any recommendations for just the internet? Really looking into getting rid of cable due to the monthly cost

My gf likes reality shows and regular tv. I like movies and sports with some channels like Food Network, AMC, the stations that play the old classics and movies, etc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom