Cord Cutters | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
What are the best subscriptions to get and what are good the bundles? Also, any recommendations for just the internet? Really looking into getting rid of cable due to the monthly cost

My gf likes reality shows and regular tv. I like movies and sports with some channels like Food Network, AMC, the stations that play the old classics and movies, etc
Youtubetv. Just be sure you can get the sports teams you want. As of now no YES network.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Youtubetv. Just be sure you can get the sports teams you want. As of now no YES network.
Thanks. Looking at FUBO elite. Expensive but seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for. Plus some family members have a Netflix account and other accounts we can share

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I need a NESN plan. Who carries it? Might just buy for baseball season. We like YouTubeTV otherwise.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
YoutubeTV is probably worth looking into. It has all the channels needed to watch huskies games, it gets NFL network (and offers red zone as an add-on), it has SNY (but no NESN or YES), and is soon going to offer 4K channels for an add-on.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
if you want to save some cash while you look around, Vidgo will do 2 months at $10 per. as far as the hoops, seems like only cbs is missing. mebbe their husky hoops magically appear with just the antenna thing. hey students, save cash, nowhaimsayin?
Vidgo - Place order

Reaction Score
Thanks. Looking at FUBO elite. Expensive but seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for. Plus some family members have a Netflix account and other accounts we can share
I flip between Fubo (for MSG) and whatever has YES (was Hulu last year, just HBO now).

Fubo has made very good strides in their DVR functionality (used to be terrible, but now good, but never as good as youtube).

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?
Download Mobdro, and Tea TV.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I flip between Fubo (for MSG) and whatever has YES (was Hulu last year, just HBO now).

Fubo has made very good strides in their DVR functionality (used to be terrible, but now good, but never as good as youtube).
FUBO looks like a better overall service. Comparing local channels now

Reaction Score
Best internet service providers for streaming? Currently, have Cox for internet and cable
You're probably locked in to Cox for your internet provider (what speeds does Cox provide?). Before I dumped/cut the cord I had Comcast. I had to keep the internet portion (still have Comcast) but it's been couple years now I went with YouTube TV. I also do have Frontier as an option for internet but their speeds are brutal, 25Mbps (download)...fiber not available in my area from Frontier. There's hope coming, Elon's Starlink is beginning to get some exposure now, although it's not cheap from all I've heard so far, around $100/month

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You're probably locked in to Cox for your internet provider (what speeds does Cox provide?). Before I dumped/cut the cord I had Comcast. I had to keep the internet portion (still have Comcast) but it's been couple years now I went with YouTube TV. I also do have Frontier as an option for internet but their speeds are brutal, 25Mbps (download)...fiber not available in my area from Frontier. There's hope coming, Elon's Starlink is beginning to get some exposure now, although it's not cheap from all I've heard so far, around $100/month
It might be Comcast actually. It says Xfinity is the fastest with Frontier in second

Reaction Score
It might be Comcast actually. It says Xfinity is the fastest with Frontier in second
If you have the option to get Comcast/Xfinity one and the same, I'm very happy with their internet speeds, 250Mbps down/6 up. I pay around $92, they went up a couple dollars not long ago.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What am I missing here? We currently have a FIOS internet/TV/phone bundle that with the settop boxes and all fees comes out to $208/month.

There's no decent internet in this area for under $80. Fubo Elite is $100. We want to keep our landline for $20 as it has numerous advantages for us, not the least being very spotty cell reception as we live in a small valley. So $200 without any taxes and fees not mentioned. All this fuss to save $8?

Reaction Score
What am I missing here? We currently have a FIOS internet/TV/phone bundle that with the settop boxes and all fees comes out to $208/month.

There's no decent internet in this area for under $80. Fubo Elite is $100. We want to keep our landline for $20 as it has numerous advantages for us, not the least being very spotty cell reception as we live in a small valley. So $200 without any taxes and fees not mentioned. All this fuss to save $8?
"Cord cutting" is not for everyone, as you mentioned you have your reasons as to why it may not make sense for you. For myself I wanted no part to do with Comcast/Xfinity for years, especially the cable portion. When these live streaming services started coming up, I cut the cord, unfortunately I still require the internet from Comcast. I'm sure because I only have the internet portion from them, they're still sticking it to me...or others. For myself I removed the landline phone and only use my cell phone now.

There are three streaming services I will always look to whenever it's time to re-evaluate my options or whenever price increases come up. I currently have YouTube TV, it meets all my requirements for sports and non-sports programming. I had Hulu Live TV for a few months until they also raised the price to match YouTube TV and Fubo TV. I always liked Fubo TV but until recently the reason I did not go with them, they didn't carry the ESPN channels...now they do. All three by the way, base prices are $64.99...coincidence?

By the way Fubo TV Elite is $79.99 + taxes. Anyway, good luck, to cut the cord it has to make sense and that is usually to save a few bucks from previous provider.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You're not missing anything. I'm in the same situation. Every two years I crunch the numbers and the package with cable always wins. People thought it was going to be different, but the ISPs raised the price on internet without cable, and the streaming services all found out they needed to charge more as well.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If you have the option to get Comcast/Xfinity one and the same, I'm very happy with their internet speeds, 250Mbps down/6 up. I pay around $92, they went up a couple dollars not long ago.
ugh sorry, it is Cox actually. With the current internet and and FUBO package it would save us ~$60 a month

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

FUBO Elite is $80. We'd be saving a lot more per year than a measly $8.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
FUBO Elite is $80. We'd be saving a lot more per year than a measly $8.
Introductory price. I'm a former marketer. You don't put "Save 20%" (meaning regularly $100i) unless one planned on going full price sometime in future. Which will happen, always does. IOW, I assume they'd get me before the year is out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom