Cord Cutters | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I was an original subscriber to DirectTV Now in early 2017. "Go Big" package, plus a free Apple TV 4, at $35 a month. Lots of channels including all the ESPN'S (including ACC Network), CBS Sports, FS 1 & 2 and Big 10, MSG, SNY & YES (plus all local channels, pretty much everything else except premiums). Never don't get a UConn hoop game.

Price has steadily crept up, just got a notice today from AT &T TV (it's rebranded name) that as of 4/1/2021, price is up $10, to $69.99 a month. In my eyes still a gr8 deal, but 100% over four years tells me this is going to keep going up....

"As a long-time streamer and early adopter, you’ll continue to save on your exclusive Go Big package deal." I think I pay about 60% of the current list price. But any change, I lose that discount

Reaction Score
I was an original subscriber to DirectTV Now in early 2017. "Go Big" package, plus a free Apple TV 4, at $35 a month. Lots of channels including all the ESPN'S (including ACC Network), CBS Sports, FS 1 & 2 and Big 10, MSG, SNY & YES (plus all local channels, pretty much everything else except premiums). Never don't get a UConn hoop game.

Price has steadily crept up, just got a notice today from AT &T TV (it's rebranded name) that as of 4/1/2021, price is up $10, to $69.99 a month. In my eyes still a gr8 deal, but 100% over four years tells me this is going to keep going up....

"As a long-time streamer and early adopter, you’ll continue to save on your exclusive Go Big package deal." I think I pay about 60% of the current list price. But any change, I lose that discount

I had that same package, but for me at the beginning it was very bad. Loading problems and for me, in Indiana, I didn't get locals at all. Then the DVR wasn't at all great.

I switched to YoutubeTV back when it was $35 a month, but even that is now $65.

I wonder at what point will "Cutting the Cord" mean something different if all of these streaming services are going to be the same cost as cable eventually?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I wonder at what point will "Cutting the Cord" mean something different if all of these streaming services are going to be the same cost as cable eventually?
That’s always been the end game for the media giants. They want to maximize revenue and their business model is designed to fit that goal. ISP’s have their piece of the pie and then it’s the content providers. It was was never going to be a la carte (which is what most of us really want).

Reaction Score
FUBO has those
I needed CBS Sports, NESN and SNY, to cover all things UCONN and the Red Sox. I was waffling between FUBO and YouTubeTv last year and went with YouTubeTV. The deciding factor was remembering that TruTV, TNT and TBS all carry March Madness as well as MLB playoffs, and FUBO doesn't offer those channels. I'm a little pissed about YouTubeTV losing NESN, but with what's gone on with the Sox in the last year, I'm less concerned. One year later no regrets.

Reaction Score
Problem with Fubo TV, they don't carry TBS, TNT and Tru TV. Nightmare if you want to watch the NCAA Tournament. Also an issue for the NBA & MLB playoffs. I believe they also don't carry CBSSN. Plus, is they have Pac-12 Network. I thought when i did a free trail, the picture was poor compared to You Tube TV. Plus, price is $65 for both.

Reaction Score
Problem with Fubo TV, they don't carry TBS, TNT and Tru TV. Nightmare if you want to watch the NCAA Tournament. Also an issue for the NBA & MLB playoffs. I believe they also don't carry CBSSN. Plus, is they have Pac-12 Network. I thought when i did a free trail, the picture was poor compared to You Tube TV. Plus, price is $65 for both.
I'm pretty sure Fubo TV has CBS Sports Network. They do have PAC-12 but it's in a sports pack (Fubo Extra for $7) along with ACCN, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS and the SEC Network and additional channels. See attached link.

Reaction Score
Currently have hulu tv and optimum internet. Really happy with Hulu so far but I feel like I'm overpaying for my internet package (approx $130 for 400mps). Issue is that the only other viable alternative is frontier, whom I have not heard good things about. Anyone have experience dealing with frontier internet?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Currently have hulu tv and optimum internet. Really happy with Hulu so far but I feel like I'm overpaying for my internet package (approx $130 for 400mps). Issue is that the only other viable alternative is frontier, whom I have not heard good things about. Anyone have experience dealing with frontier internet?
Wow. I have fios and TV and internet is $149 with multiroom dvr.

Reaction Score
Vidgo is super cheap now ($10) for FS1 and all the ESPNs. I'll get a month of sling tv just for the ncaas (plus my antenna for cbs.) I'll have to figure something else out for cbs sports network when football season starts, but look out for promo deals.

Reaction Score
I'm the same with you, I have Comcast/XFinity internet and pay around $93/month for 250 mbps....with my own modem. Like you I also feel Comcast is over charging just for internet...a way to screw us over for ditching the TV portion, but as you mentioned the alternative is Frontier with 25 mbps. I checked with them no fiber in my area.

Reaction Score
Well get a fire stick, fully load it. Pay for vpn and pay for subscription to streaming service for 5 to 10 dollars get every channel you would want. I actually got the Fire TV if you do that, make sure TV has place to put SD card for storage. Mine doesn't unfortunately. Adding a flash drive to usb doesn't integrate into TV for internal storage

Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?
Get the Roku tv and Netflix, s h it can everything else, and get Direct TV for all the sports channels you’re missing. With Direct TV you also get access to Direct TV on demand which has a library 2nd to none. Occasionally my wife will rent a first run movie on Amazon for $1 to $4. The picture quality on DTV is second to none and we have it in every major room in the house and basement. We pay $170 a month for everything. No buffering problems if you get Direct tv internet for the house. Only time we ever lost the signal was during a heavy snowstorm, we live in CT.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I needed CBS Sports, NESN and SNY, to cover all things UCONN and the Red Sox. I was waffling between FUBO and YouTubeTv last year and went with YouTubeTV. The deciding factor was remembering that TruTV, TNT and TBS all carry March Madness as well as MLB playoffs, and FUBO doesn't offer those channels. I'm a little pissed about YouTubeTV losing NESN, but with what's gone on with the Sox in the last year, I'm less concerned. One year later no regrets.
Same boat. I may just add on Fubo, as if I’m buying season tickets, and drop when I’m frustrated or at the end of the Sox baseball season. I’d still keep YouTube for all the NBA & MLB playoffs.

Reaction Score
I had MLB TV for free last year at some point through T-Mobile/Sprint as with a free subscription to The Athletic.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I needed CBS Sports,√ NESN √and SNY,√ to cover all things UCONN and the Red Sox. I was waffling between FUBO and YouTubeTv last year and went with YouTubeTV. The deciding factor was remembering that TruTV, TNT and TBS all carry March Madness as well as MLB playoffs, and FUBO doesn't offer those channels. I'm a little pissed about YouTubeTV losing NESN, but with what's gone on with the Sox in the last year, I'm less concerned. One year later no regrets.

FUBU did lose the Turner Network Channels

Reaction Score
I just got Youtube TV - I'm moving in a couple of weeks and football is over so killed DirecTV. Not going to set it up in the new house - going to see between Youtube TV/Hulu/Netflix and some add-ons (like HBO/etc) if I can get by without it.

I only really care about the Packer's games - and at this point would rather go to a sports bar every weekend if I had to than give them 300+ a month as I've had to for all of these years.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
FUBO

It's also available to all cord cutters on the Fox Sports app - you just have to login with your TV provider credentials (assuming your TV provider gets FS1/Fox) and you're good to go.

Reaction Score
Youtube tv does not have YES. Have to go to at&t tv to get it for the summer I guess. YT tv allows a 3 month pause in subscription.

Reaction Score
Ok so this looks really confusing for someone who loves sports. Seems like half of the steaming options don’t offer one thing or another. I live in MA and would like UConn games, Sunday Ticket for football, Yankees. I currently have directv and call them every year in May and threaten to leave and for instance last year they gave me football package for free and $30 per month off my Bill for a year. If I wanted to cut the cord I don’t see one option that would give me all of that - am I correct? YouTube doesn’t have YES, FUBO doesn’t have NCAA tournament, no one has the football package is what I’m reading. Any options besides doing a Frankenstein and using like 3 services?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ok so this looks really confusing for someone who loves sports. Seems like half of the steaming options don’t offer one thing or another. I live in MA and would like UConn games, Sunday Ticket for football, Yankees. I currently have directv and call them every year in May and threaten to leave and for instance last year they gave me football package for free and $30 per month off my Bill for a year. If I wanted to cut the cord I don’t see one option that would give me all of that - am I correct? YouTube doesn’t have YES, FUBO doesn’t have NCAA tournament, no one has the football package is what I’m reading. Any options besides doing a Frankenstein and using like 3 services?

The great thing about streaming services is that there is no contract. You can use Hulu or whatever service gets YES from April until September, then use YouTube TV once football season start until baseball starts up again. It's not ideal, but there's no chance of doing that with Comcast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom