Cord Cutters | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
I also wanted a better wi-fi coverage throughout my place. I have tried them wifi extenders, the plug-in ones to outlets supposedly using the electric powerlines within the walls...etc...etc but none of them really worked until a year or so I heard of this wifi mesh network systems (whole home wifi systems). Check out the link below for a much better explanation.

These wifi mesh systems are more pricey but they work great. Usually they come in 2 or more. There are few brands out there but I chose eero (now owned by Amazon). I will say once you install one of these mesh systems in house your "mancave" will get good internet signal.

Article about best wi-fi mesh network systems below.

To chime in on Mesh WiFi, I had considered myself pretty router/cable savvy but my router/cable combination was not doing the trick even after I had them activate a cable nozzle on the ground floor to cover that floor plus the man cave in the basement - still inconsistent. I splurged for a Google Nest hub plus one other unit and I have not had any issues since. Speed is way up, no buffering and never bogged down by devices. That being said it's only my wife and I, not like there's 4 people streaming at the same time but I can wholeheartedly say that the Google Nest gets 5 stars from me.

Reaction Score
Bill just went back up to $200 with DirecTV, maybe on Friday I call and threaten to cancel.. If they are willing to offer me $75 or so off the bill I'll stay but it's just so hard to justify paying that much for just regular cable plus HBO. I mean, yes, convenience is a big deal but I can get 90% of what I need from YouTubeTV at $125 lesser. At this point in my life a $200 bill isn't the end of the world, really at this point it's more about the principle than anything.

Question for YouTubeTV people, I have that Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle - will my YouTubeTV login give me the OTA ESPN stuff on the app, or will I need to login with my in-laws Spectrum account to get that?

I have YouTube TV, that's pretty much all you need as your "provider credentials" to log into the ESPN app and watch not only ESPN content but also SECN, ACCN. Within the app you will also have the ESPN+ channels from your bundle, you'll have two different login credentials. Hope this helps, can't figure out what "OTA" means...is it Over The Air?

Reaction Score
That was very helpful, thank you! Yes OTA is over the air. I typed that post before 5am, then later on in the morning at school I realized, oh when my wife is on the treadmill she can just go on the actual YouTubeTV app to watch ESPN rather than streaming SportsCenter off the ESPN+ app - I don't have a cable box on that one since it's attached to the wall next to the treadmill so I'd just use my DTV login so she could watch SC in the mornings.

I'm a dummy. This is not news.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm going on a year with YouTubeTV and saving money over DirecTV is great, I think it's the best and most cost effective for my family's needs.
Things I like: Local Networks, Unlimited DVR, all channels for NCAA Tournament (including TNT, TBS and TruTV).
Things I don't like: I lost NESN since I signed up which was a major factor in choosing YTTV, no dolby digital which is absurd today, and the price has been climbing rapidly since I signed up with the addition of channels I don't watch (Viacom), there seems to be a stuttering issue with some sports channels. YTTV has recommended that I uninstall the app and reinstall, but it only works for a week or so before you have to do it again.

Reaction Score
One more question on YTTV, I don't care about YES and NESN because I get the Mets on the MLBTV ala carte package - there were several UConn games on CBSSN, is that on YTTV?

Reaction Score
One more question on YTTV, I don't care about YES and NESN because I get the Mets on the MLBTV ala carte package - there were several UConn games on CBSSN, is that on YTTV?
Not only CBS Sports but also NBC Sports, FS1 (Big East affiliate) and FS2...and of course SNY for UConn games. Are you in the Tri-State SNY home market? If not you will be able to see the UConn games on the FOX Sport App, again you need the YouTube TV login credentials to access.

To find which channels you will be getting in your area on YouTube TV, see link below (add your zip code)

YouTube TV - Watch & DVR Live Sports, Shows & News

Reaction Score
I have YouTube TV, that's pretty much all you need as your "provider credentials" to log into the ESPN app and watch not only ESPN content but also SECN, ACCN. Within the app you will also have the ESPN+ channels from your bundle, you'll have two different login credentials. Hope this helps, can't figure out what "OTA" means...is it Over The Air?
I’m not seeing that as a YTTV subscriber, that I have access to ESPN+
I see they want $5.99/month for that privilege

Reaction Score
With the rates going up I just don't see the value in switching. I get everything I could ever want with Xfinity and have virtually no issues with it. IMO the cut the cord movement will cost us all in the back end.

Reaction Score
A little OT but I'm having buffering issues with the ESPN app on FireTV Cube. Device has a great picture but the app fails on Chromecast and now this. Have access to a Roku TV that doesn't seem to have any issues. Really frustrating experience watching any type of match. When you pay for this they really need to make a better effort. No problems on a laptop with chrome browser connected to tv via hdmi.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think ESPN+ is the biggest bargain in streaming. It has West Indies cricket.

Reaction Score

I was replying to @M.S.G. , He has a bundle that includes HULU, Disney+ and ESPN+. If he's planning on getting YouTube TV also, he'll be fully covered with sports .

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes , OTA means over the air.

The old rabbit ears for local channels.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the input guys, this was helpful. Making one last run @ DirecTV today, if they don't drop my bill down substantially, YouTubeTV it
When I called to cancel last month, they immediately threw $60 off for 6 months at me. I told them I wasn't interested and I made up my mind to cancel. I probably could have got a sweet deal, but wasn't interested.

Reaction Score
When I called to cancel last month, they immediately threw $60 off for 6 months at me. I told them I wasn't interested and I made up my mind to cancel. I probably could have got a sweet deal, but wasn't interested.
It's sad, one has to "play" this game with cable companies. Until these live streaming services came to be, I did the same thing year-in-year-out with Comcast. First chance I got cancelled the cable portion and switched to the Live TV streaming services and never looked back. One of the best feature, IMO, no service contract with these services unlike cable companies...if you don't like this service because it raised prices (or other reason)....cancel and get another one. Now if I can also do away with Comcast's internet I will be free at last. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It's sad, one has to "play" this game with cable companies. Until these live streaming services came to be, I did the same thing year-in-year-out with Comcast. First chance I got cancelled the cable portion and switched to the Live TV streaming services and never looked back. One of the best feature, IMO, no service contract with these services unlike cable companies...if you don't like this service because it raised prices (or other reason)....cancel and get another one. Now if I can also do away with Comcast's internet I will be free at last. :rolleyes:
Agree but the internet is darn good where I am. What kind of deal did you get for the carve out internet service?

Reaction Score
Agree but the internet is darn good where I am. What kind of deal did you get for the carve out internet service?
When I cut the cable from Comcast (2 years ago) internet price was $89.95, not sure if it's called Performance or Performance Plus, but at time download speed was around 150Mbps...now two years later it's 250Mbps but they also increased "couple bucks every year", now paying $95.95. Mind you this is with my own modem. I'm happy with download speed. I have another choice in my area for internet and that's Frontier...but max download 25Mbps (lol). For now have no other choice, they're going to try to get the most from you regardless.

I believe I may be able to get the next lowest internet deal Comcast has...maybe save $10/month but at this point I don't even want to mess with how things are.

Reaction Score
Just got off the phone with DirecTV, got them down to $130 a month for the next 12 months. So they received a stay of execution.

I could have got it down to $100 by dropping a tier but CBS Sports and NBATV are not on the next tier. Do I watch those channels 5 nights a week? No. However, I would notice if they weren't there.

To be perfectly honest I'm more angry that I pay $70 a month for internet! Where we live there are no other options, utterly ridiculous.

I could probably get a cable TV bundle for $150 total with internet included but cable TV stinks out loud. I guess I am just a DirecTV honk.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just got off the phone with DirecTV, got them down to $130 a month for the next 12 months. So they received a stay of execution.

I could have got it down to $100 by dropping a tier but CBS Sports and NBATV are not on the next tier. Do I watch those channels 5 nights a week? No. However, I would notice if they weren't there.

To be perfectly honest I'm more angry that I pay $70 a month for internet! Where we live there are no other options, utterly ridiculous.

I could probably get a cable TV bundle for $150 total with internet included but cable TV stinks out loud. I guess I am just a DirecTV honk.

You could probably get it for $90 if you have any competition in your area.

Reaction Score
Yeah I just looked at Spectrum's bundles. If I wasn't so indentured to DirecTV I'd leave in a second. I could definitely get everything I get now for about a $100 bundle.

I just think the picture from DirecTV is clearer and more pure compared to cable.

Is that in my head, or is there something to it?

I got my 2nd shot this morning so my brain is a marshmallow.

Reaction Score
Question on all the streaming stuff. So almost everything I watch is via DVR (not UConn games of course). Is there a way to record football games, other shows, etc.? How does that work? The other problem is guess is just a me problem. Wife has no idea or interest in learning to use streaming or different devices to watch stuff.
You Tube TV is the leading streaming service with a unlimited DVR space. Saves for 9 months.

Reaction Score
My main reason for keeping You Tube TV has been multiple user logins and availability of local news stations. I have two networks I can't get with OTA antenna.

I realize I am only one in my house who regularly watches You Tube TV.

I think in next few months I'm switching to Hulu Live packaged with Hulu and ESPN+.

It's strictly cost. You Tube TV is getting stupid with price raising,but until they start losing customers they'll keep on raising.

Hulu does have less networks compared to YTTV. Sports networks like NFL, MLB, NBA.

Reaction Score
Now things are getting really annoying with YouTubeTv. I just received an email from Roku about a dispute with YouTubeTV and that they may not carry YouTubeTV if it is not resolved. YouTubeTv dropped NESN/YES last October too. This seems like an ongoing theme, and now every TV with Roku won’t work? Come on!

How bad is FuboTV?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now things are getting really annoying with YouTubeTv. I just received an email from Roku about a dispute with YouTubeTV and that they may not carry YouTubeTV if it is not resolved. YouTubeTv dropped NESN/YES last October too. This seems like an ongoing theme, and now every TV with Roku won’t work? Come on!
Switching providers used to be such a hassle, now it's nothing. Free marketing info for Youtube.tv, I'm not dropping Roku.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom