2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 30 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Completely missing the context of what you're quoting. I didn't say any of that, the point is whether he goes to Duke or UConn he's going to develop and going to be the #1 pick
No, you are pretty clear. The fact that he would "develop" at both UConn and Duke doesn't mean his development would be equivalent, and there is no reason to think that he doesn't want to develop as much as possible even if it doesn't change where he is drafted.

Is any of that not clear?

Reaction Score
From my understanding, we have at least 2 collectives. Bleeding Blue and the D'Amelio one. I have no idea how much money either one has, but the vibe given off by the D'Amelio one was more about developing a person's brand and arranging sponsors and the like. Which is relatively worthless for players who aren't already famous coming in or going to be lottery/1st round picks. But could be extremely intriguing to someone who will likely have well over half a million followers before he sets foot on campus. Skill development not just on the court.
The D'Amelio arrangement is to teach athletes how to fish. Other schools just feed them more than us.

Reaction Score
No, you are pretty clear. The fact that he would "develop" at both UConn and Duke doesn't mean his development would be equivalent, and there is no reason to think that he doesn't want to develop as much as possible even if it doesn't change where he is drafted.

Is any of that not clear?
Your position is clear, I just don't agree with it. What I'm saying is that his development is going to be the same at UConn and Duke, and it's OK to admit that as a UConn fan

Reaction Score
Your position is clear, I just don't agree with it. What I'm saying is that his development is going to be the same at UConn and Duke, and it's OK to admit that as a UConn fan
I didn't say it would or would not be better at UConn. I'm not in a position to evaluate that. I just said that it's ridiculous to say that his development won't be a factor in how he makes his decision.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I didn't say it would or would not be better at UConn. I'm not in a position to evaluate that. I just said that it's ridiculous to say that his development won't be a factor in how he makes his decision.

Let me be clear.

Regardless of where he chooses to go to college and regardless of how he develops that one year in college, barring injury, he's going #1 in the draft after one season.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Duke is no doubt an excellent program but that was built off of K. We have no idea how Scheyer and staff will be at developing players and at overall coaching. Our head coach and staff have a proven track record which is why I think we have a serious chance with him if we get him on campus. We have the best collection of coaches in college basketball right now, if he cares about winning and development UConn is the best option.

Reaction Score
Guys, we need to step it up. We've got like 70 pages to go to reach Diamond Stone territory.
I've been in touch with DS and he's not fixated on the record and doesn't want us to worry about beating it, or allowing him to retain it as one of the honors in his trophy room, either case is fine with him.

Reaction Score
Flagg is the safer choice and I like the safer choice. Wembanyama could be a generational player but it seems unlikely he'll stay healthy. It depends on if a franchise wants to take a huge risk or play it more safe.
Spurs took Wembanyama with the 1st pick and there wasn't even a whisper of competition for #1 overall. No major injuries either, just some minor things..
Wembanyama has the tools to be better than Giannis.

Reaction Score
Spurs took Wembanyama with the 1st pick and there wasn't even a whisper of competition for #1 overall. No major injuries either, just some minor things..
Wembanyama has the tools to be better than Giannis.
While all of that is true, Flagg has a lot of the same tools Larry Bird had, but with more athleticism. I could see Wembanyama going first in this scenario, but a no brainer? I’m not sure it’s a no brainer, especially given the health history of bigs with his stature.

Reaction Score
No way I'm taking a 7'5'' guy that will likely deal with injuries throughout his entire career because of his height over Flagg.
Flagg has the total offensive game and can score from everywhere. His passing is Bird level from a big man. He protects the rim and rebounds. And I talked with a 3 star that played against him at Peach Jam who told me he runs like a deer. He’s played against the most elite competition there is in high school. The kid is really really really good.

Reaction Score
No way I'm taking a 7'5'' guy that will likely deal with injuries throughout his entire career because of his height over Flagg.
You don’t know that, I’m DEFINITELY taking Wemby to build my team around over Flagg who will also be a perennial all star himself. If both reach full potential who do you think will be more dominant. It’s an easy answer. He is thin and it’s a concern but Ive noticed these players are just built different nowadays. A lot of Durant built like players are coming.

Reaction Score
If we take off the blue tinted glasses, no. I hope we get Flagg, and I think we have a real shot. But his development the 1 year of college doesn't matter, he's going #1. His exposure doesn't matter between UConn and Duke, he's going to be the #1 story on SportsCenter every night no matter what
For that to happen you have to assume there will be no new foreign phenom (Wembanyama) or no giant leap by a lesser known player (Ja Morant) in the next two years and no blow up like Ian Jackson's performance that won him the MVP at the recent SLAM Summer Classic:
So, maybe, maybe not. We'll know in June 2025.

Reaction Score
While all of that is true, Flagg has a lot of the same tools Larry Bird had, but with more athleticism. I could see Wembanyama going first in this scenario, but a no brainer? I’m not sure it’s a no brainer, especially given the health history of bigs with his stature.
Flagg is playing against 16 and 17 year olds. Wembanyama is in a Pro League. Association with UConn shouldn’t cloud the judgement. Flagg is a tremendous prospect, Wemby is a generational prospect.

Reaction Score
There is evidence that the UConn staff develops players (Martin, Jackson and Sanogo most prominently) but the jury is still out on Scheyer.

Reaction Score
For that to happen you have to assume there will be no new foreign phenom (Wembanyama) or no giant leap by a lesser known player (Ja Morant) in the next two years and no blow up like Ian Jackson's performance that won him the MVP at the recent SLAM Summer Classic:
So, maybe, maybe not. We'll know in June 2025.
No you don't, Cooper Flagg is a generational prospect the same way Victor Wembanyama was. Nobody is passing him based on a strong game at a random summer camp. These guys have been locked in as the top pick when they come out for years.

The Ja comment is especially ironic, with his massive rise you should take a look at who went #1 that year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom