Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 42 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 3m3 minutes ago
"Despite fact that media attention is on football & possibly men's/women's bball during the year, some baseball, those that work on..."

Hhmmm. Let me get this straight. B12 commissioner uses the words "football" and "women's basketball" in the same sentence to describe "media attention". Reading too much into it but, hey, why not.
Viewed alternatively, did he just equate men's and woman's basketball?

Reaction Score
There is a reasonable way to interpret what Bowlsby said as him setting up a defense for his wanting UConn over Houston, given the media reports this week suggesting the B12 would only deny Houston because it was afraid of their potential, or because the conference is stupid.

Reaction Score
I think he was saying the things you say before you invite new members, irrespective of how well these nice things apply to the new members in question.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So SMU is out, or the Big 12 already has all their intel on them.

Reaction Score
The Tea Leafs - large sustainable budgets matter, well rounded programs matter (Men & Woman BB, and baseball), championships matter, and academics matter. This sounds an awful lot like one school we all know well.

Football and men's basketball are the big ones that matter - for UConn, the women's basketball team matters but I'm not sure it does for anyone else. UConn women playing in the Big 12 would help dramatically with ticket sales on the road and that would ultimately benefit the conference. Academics matter to a certain degree. Look at Louisville going to the ACC - the ACC schools are much stronger academically (based solely on reputation - don't really care to nitpick rankings) as they have schools such as UNC, Duke, BC, ND, Wake, UVA. The only schools that are respectable in the Big 12 are Baylor and Texas. UConn has academics when you compare it to some of the other candidates, but it's not exactly an ivy league institution. If it is perceived that you cannot make money for the conference, academics mean nothing.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I actually read that as we are looking at all sports, not just hoops, baseball. Still a positive vibe to me.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I actually read that as we are looking at all sports, not just hoops, baseball. Still a positive vibe to me.
Worth noting that we'd instantly be the premier women's soccer & field hockey school in the conference. We put girls into the World Cup and Olympics, and while that doesn't pay the bills, it sure as hell matters to ADs and alumni.

Reaction Score
What did UConn say if someone asked: What will you do if we offer you a spot and so does the ACC?

They should say, "We're all in. The hell with the ACC."

I have some real hard feelings toward a lot of those institutions. UConn is a top notch university, superior to many of the ACC members. Clemson and Florida State dumped on us big time. The other ACC members caved to these football schools, lowering their standards to accept a subpar academic institution. With it, the ACC got the predictable scandels. BC are whining cowards, holding an old grudge, afraid to have real competition on "their turf." Syracuse fans on these sites have somehow, since joining the ACC, acquired an attitude that they are better than us. They're delusional. I've seen several of them writing that they want us to die on the vine.
In the Big East days I'd support any conference member in an OC game. I've been surprised by the animosity I find with some of our former conference partners, in particular the Syracuse fans. I'd much rather play with, and support, the Big XII guys.

Reaction Score
Ralph Russo: AP Source: Dungy part of USF pitch to Big 12 as meeting wrap

>>Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy was part of South Florida's pitch to the Big 12 and former major league first baseman Tino Martinez also went to bat for the Bulls.

The Big 12 on Friday concluded a week of meetings in North Texas with the 11 schools vying to join the conference. USF, Cincinnati and Rice made the final presentations, according to three people with knowledge of the meetings who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the conference was keeping its meetings confidential.

According to a person familiar with USF's pitch, Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeffrey Vinik was part of the team sent to Texas and the presentation included a video with Dungy and Martinez endorsing the Bulls.<<

Reaction Score

>>Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy was part of South Florida's pitch to the Big 12 and former major league first baseman Tino Martinez also went to bat for the Bulls.

The Big 12 on Friday concluded a week of meetings in North Texas with the 11 schools vying to join the conference. USF, Cincinnati and Rice made the final presentations, according to three people with knowledge of the meetings who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the conference was keeping its meetings confidential.

According to a person familiar with USF's pitch, Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeffrey Vinik was part of the team sent to Texas and the presentation included a video with Dungy and Martinez endorsing the Bulls.<<

I heard Big Red and Palatine repped us big time. :D

Reaction Score
Worth noting that we'd instantly be the premier women's soccer & field hockey school in the conference. We put girls into the World Cup and Olympics, and while that doesn't pay the bills, it sure as hell matters to ADs and alumni.

lol

Reaction Score
So seemingly we have heard from various sources/outlets that UConn, Air Force, Cincinnati, Houston, Rice, Tulane, UCF and USF have gone. Nothing on BYU or CSU.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Dungy? He is not someone you want to be an advocate for your school. His antiquated social beliefs do not foot up with the current collegiate environment. I am glad they chose him....he won't help.

Reaction Score
Football and men's basketball are the big ones that matter - for UConn, the women's basketball team matters but I'm not sure it does for anyone else. UConn women playing in the Big 12 would help dramatically with ticket sales on the road and that would ultimately benefit the conference. Academics matter to a certain degree. Look at Louisville going to the ACC - the ACC schools are much stronger academically (based solely on reputation - don't really care to nitpick rankings) as they have schools such as UNC, Duke, BC, ND, Wake, UVA. The only schools that are respectable in the Big 12 are Baylor and Texas. UConn has academics when you compare it to some of the other candidates, but it's not exactly an ivy league institution. If it is perceived that you cannot make money for the conference, academics mean nothing.

The Big 12 would be one of the few places outside UConn where women's basketball matters though. Their schools regularly draw crowds and they have 2 top 5 teams next year in Baylor and Texas.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 would be one of the few places outside UConn where women's basketball matters though. Their schools regularly draw crowds and they have 2 top 5 teams next year in Baylor and Texas.

In this day and age it is a poor reflection on the P5 that women's sports don't seem to matter. University Presidents should get that even if it does not directly translate into cash. It's sounds like Bolsby is telling us they do matter to B12, which should mean we are in good shape.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom