Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

Reaction Score
This isn't good for us...you know

I don't know. It shows that there's clearly an appetite for expansion in TX, provided Houston gets in.

And it's a timely reminder to the rest of the conference that increasing the percentage of B12 teams from TX (by adding Houston +1) would be an insane thing to do.

Also shows that "keeping your media partners happy" by not exercising the pro rata and taking the free money is a road to nowhere because TX will screw everyone the first chance it gets.

But taking Houston as part of a 4-team package (w/ UConn, BYU, Cincinnati) maximizes $$$ now, gives TX its precious Houston, and dilutes the percentage of B12 teams from TX going forward. Win-win-win.

Reaction Score
He's a Maryland grad who now lives in Houston. He looks like a televangelist..and that's not a good thing. The most interesting thing about it is they seem not to realize that their excess inbreeding is what is causing their downfall to begin with. That from a guy who is supposed to be leading the state. The other b12 members must cringe when they see this from a political wannabe.

I had to check out myself more about Lt Gov Dan Patrick (nee Goeb). I wish I could say his (IMO) inappropriate lobbying for Houston and SMU was the worst thing about him, but it is not even close. Quite an interesting character. I also saw that he is a graduate of UM Baltimore County, not College Park, so I feel a little better about that.

Reaction Score
Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick continues his push to get the University of Houston and SMU into the Big 12: “This is about Texas schools........ This is good for Texas. Texas schools oughta vote for other Texas schools............. Will you put Texas first, put our kids first?".

I have shortened the quote to only the pertinent parts with regard to why all of the non TX schools should not be voting for Houston. This is mindset there and they think it will be BETTER with 5 or 6 TX schools??!!!

Reaction Score
I had to check out myself more about Lt Gov Dan Patrick (nee Goeb). I wish I could say his (IMO) inappropriate lobbying for Houston and SMU was the worst thing about him, but it is not even close. Quite an interesting character. I also saw that he is a graduate of UM Baltimore County, not College Park, so I feel a little better about that.

He is a truly despicable human being, even by Texas standards

Reaction Score
he may be an odd guy, but we cant get anyone in CT - politician, media, big swinging , etc., to stand up shout on our behalf. There are times I wish the local power wigs in the nutmeg state would realize what is at stake

Reaction Score
You think that the stadium expansion is worth an additional 6 million + in income for the AD? Wow.

That seems optimistic to me but I guess we will see when the data gets reported. That seems like a lot for any stadium upgrade. I'm sure that if its' true the Big 12 already knows about it. Looked like a good crowd last night very similar to a Baylor or TCU game in the Big 12.

The issue with Cinci's AD is ticket sales and donations. Thus the huge subsidy 40% +needed to operate. That's going to be a challenge no matter what conference they are in.

Did you not read the post?

$100,000 x 18 = $1.8M
$50,000 x 18 (total guess on the # here, UC's site doesn't say - but smaller than 100k ones, so assume same or more) = $0.9M
$2000 club seats x >1000 = $2.0M

So I took the low numbers (the seats are actually up to $2,500 per year - and there's probably more than 18 of the $50k suites) but that totals to $4.7M on the conservative end. That doesn't include anything any of those people buy, parking, etc. Plus they added seats outside of the luxury areas. $6M actually seems low.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the Big 12 has gone radio silent (at least for them) excepting Bohls statement that expansion isn't a done deal and the Patrick statement cajoling Texas B12 schools to vote for Texas candidates. So... are we in a lull, or are they actually hashing things out behind the scenes?

My current guess, largely based upon trying to read something into the two events above, is that they are looking at 2 (because I believe Houston is a lock if they add 4) and that Houston is competing with UConn and a Florida team for spot 2 (because Patrick calls out UConn and a USF, but not Cinci.) Cinci I believe to be the first team in based upon geography, and general competancy. (Think about it. They aren't academically great, but they aren't bad; they aren't a football powerhouse, but they are solid and the same can be said about basketball.)

Yeah, I'm kind of Jonesing for a Premium tweet....

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think any of the schools involved have the slightest interest in letting Patrick in on any of their thinking. He is getting only the information that Texas wants him to get. TCU and Baylor don't have to tell him spit, and Texas Tech can just defer to Texas.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So the Big 12 has gone radio silent (at least for them) excepting Bohls statement that expansion isn't a done deal and the Patrick statement cajoling Texas B12 schools to vote for Texas candidates. So... are we in a lull, or are they actually hashing things out behind the scenes?

My current guess, largely based upon trying to read something into the two events above, is that they are looking at 2 (because I believe Houston is a lock if they add 4) and that Houston is competing with UConn and a Florida team for spot 2 (because Patrick calls out UConn and a USF, but not Cinci.) Cinci I believe to be the first team in based upon geography, and general competancy. (Think about it. They aren't academically great, but they aren't bad; they aren't a football powerhouse, but they are solid and the same can be said about basketball.)

Yeah, I'm kind of Jonesing for a Premium tweet....

I'd take a MHver tweet at this point. I am interpreting the silence as seriousness. I think the wheels are truly turning behind the scenes and they are committed to finding out if they can come to a consensus or not.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I don't think any of the schools involved have the slightest interest in letting Patrick in on any of their thinking. He is getting only the information that Texas wants him to get. TCU and Baylor don't have to tell him spit, and Texas Tech can just defer to Texas.

Yes, but Texas talks to Baylor and TCU. If one of them is not cooperating with the Texas government's wishes, Texas will tell them. Those two schools, of course, don't have to adhere to the government's wishes, but the government can find out how they're leaning.

Reaction Score
My current guess, largely based upon trying to read something into the two events above, is that they are looking at 2 (because I believe Houston is a lock if they add 4) and that Houston is competing with UConn and a Florida team for spot 2 (because Patrick calls out UConn and a USF, but not Cinci.) .

Patrick's comment was "or some school in Florida" not specifically USF. Don't sleep on UCF/Orlando.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Part lobbying, part doing theit day jobs. The school year has started as hs the FB season.

Hopefully, this is a period of reassessment by Team Texas and they realized there is only one intelligent course of action, expand by 4.

Reaction Score
The oddest part of all of this is that the schools they could add now are the same schools that were available when they decided to explore expansion. Did they think ND was going to ask to join? As such, either they can't agree on the pecking order, want to block UT or are simply trying to squeeze $$ from networks to add zero. I'm not getting a good feeling

Reaction Score
Re: Jake Trotter article: The latest in Big 12 expansion where

Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 28m 28 minutes ago
For Big 12 schools NOT Texas/Oklahoma expansion is about what do we need to do to bring stability, which means keeping UT/OU happy. ...

Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 27m 27 minutes ago
But it is unclear that expansion will make UT/OU happy and make them commit to the conference longer. Then why expand... short-term money?

Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 24m24 minutes ago
Was suggested to me maybe ESPN/Fox could save money by giving TV deal/GOR extension to B12 to forego expansion. But why would UT/OU sign?

Reaction Score
from Trotter (top shelf tweet)

Quick take: ESPN not saying 'only 2', seems like more of an opening, but.... they are totally confused and of different minds. DISFUCTIONAL.

Reaction Score
@huskymedic it will be interesting to see what happens to the schools not named Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State when B-12 GOR expires if a extension isn't signed. The B-12 is a dead conference walking if they don't sign that GOR extension....and there won't be much of a landing spot for those schools in TX...the AAC seems about the only place for them to go. I can see WVU and UConn ending up in the ACC.

Reaction Score
from Trotter (top shelf tweet)

Quick take: ESPN not saying 'only 2', seems like more of an opening, but.... they are totally confused and of different minds. DISFUCTIONAL.

I missed that in the article- the part saying "ESPN not saying only 2", where did you see that?

Reaction Score
I missed that in the article- the part saying "ESPN not saying only 2", where did you see that?

in prior reporting, ESPN referred to 'probably down to two' . since they seem to know the most among the news folks, the fact that they didn't refer to 'only two' felt notable to me. capeche?

Reaction Score
What I don't understand about conferences is how, as pudge arbitrague hints at, is how the marque teams settle for the same payout as the crummy teams. Why FSU and Clemson would tie them selves up getting paid the sqme amount as BCU, Wake and Pitt is mystifying. Yet apparently it happened.

Any way, onto UConn and the Texas conference. Dollars to donuts nothing drastic will happen in 2024 when their deal matures. So what makes them better now to get the same/better cash in 2024. If ambitious they will go to 14 and try to portray a national conference. If this is their plan, knowing that streaming will be in vogue, it has to be BYU, UConn, USF (or UCF), and UC. But how about UH - well they don't add much if the conference wants to portray itself as National. If they want to stay kind of semi relevant, knowing that total dollars get split by number of teams, and they are too afraid to think long game, then I guess its two teams UH and UC. That would amplify mediocrity. So that may be their choice.

The talk of the Big 12 being dead is kind of nonsense, a year and a half ago it was the ACC. Actually, looking at results its the PAC that should be worried.

So I like the Big 12's chances, much better with BYU, UConn, USF (or UCF), and UC but the networks may say one pool of money and a 14 team spilt is less than a 12 team split.

Its just unfair, but we encounter that everyday.

So do we have control over our future? Beat Cuse, beat UH. Hope it happens but it doesn't really mean much. What's at stake is does the Big 12 have onions to make a play.

Hate to say it, but forget about the ACC that's gone. One pot of money split amounst a lot of teams. Foret about the SEC, they stay South. Maybe the B1G solidifies the NE and crushes the ACC - that may be our bst hope. But there really are no long range expertise heading the conferences, sans the B1G.

Is Swafford smart? Not really, he should get down on his knees (I think he's been there before) and thank God that the NCAA has not crushed UNC and UL. If they had he would be toast.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What I don't understand about conferences is how, as pudge arbitrague hints at, is how the marque teams settle for the same payout as the crummy teams. Why FSU and Clemson would tie them selves up getting paid the sqme amount as BCU, Wake and Pitt is mystifying. Yet apparently it happened.

Any way, onto UConn and the Texas conference. Dollars to donuts nothing drastic will happen in 2024 when their deal matures. So what makes them better now to get the same/better cash in 2024. If ambitious they will go to 14 and try to portray a national conference. If this is their plan, knowing that streaming will be in vogue, it has to be BYU, UConn, USF (or UCF), and UC. But how about UH - well they don't add much if the conference wants to portray itself as National. If they want to stay kind of semi relevant, knowing that total dollars get split by number of teams, and they are too afraid to think long game, then I guess its two teams UH and UC. That would amplify mediocrity. So that may be their choice.

The talk of the Big 12 being dead is kind of nonsense, a year and a half ago it was the ACC. Actually, looking at results its the PAC that should be worried.

So I like the Big 12's chances, much better with BYU, UConn, USF (or UCF), and UC but the networks may say one pool of money and a 14 team spilt is less than a 12 team split.

Its just unfair, but we encounter that everyday.

So do we have control over our fute? Beat Cuse, beat UH. Hope it happens but it doesn't really mean much. What's at stake is does the Big 12 have onions to make a play.

Hate to say it, but forget about the ACC that's gone. One pot of money split amounst a lot of teams. Foret about the SEC, they stay South. Maybe the B1G solidifies the NE and crushes the ACC - that may be our bst hope. But there really are no long range expertise heading the conferences, sans the B1G.

Here is the thing that seems to be lost here:

If Texas leaves - it does not matter when the Big 12 expands. They can expand tomorrow or they can expand after Texas leaves. They end up in the same position. Nobody they can expand with today isn't going to be available in the future.

The benefit to not expanding is clear - and it's much of the basis of your posts. As money shrinks the last thing you want is more mouths to feed. Your chances of putting together a competitive package to keep Texas is higher if your denominator is lower.

Oklahoma as a property is so wildly overrated on this board it's hard to believe. Everything they do makes it clear - they have nowhere to go now - nevermind in 2024.

Edit: If you doubt Swofford at this point... I don't know what to tell you. That guy pulled a rabbit out of his hat.

Reaction Score
Whaler - You are right, but I think Texas would prefer a Big 12 (with 10 or 12 member) and the LHN plodding on in 2024. They really should have no interest in moving unless their football kicks it up 2 knotches. Sad thing, if UConn football kicks it up 2 knotches we would be the king of the northest above PSU and the others.....but apparently noone else understands that.

In reality UConn could be the new PSU = think 1980'2 1990's. I do strongly believe that and am semi sober.

If we don't have 36k watching Cuse then who can we blame.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing that seems to be lost here:

If Texas leaves - it does not matter when the Big 12 expands. They can expand tomorrow or they can expand after Texas leaves. They end up in the same position. Nobody they can expand with today isn't going to be available in the future.

The benefit to not expanding is clear - and it's much of the basis of your posts. As money shrinks the last thing you want is more mouths to feed. Your chances of putting together a competitive package to keep Texas is higher if your denominator is lower.

Oklahoma as a property is so wildly overrated on this board it's hard to believe. Everything they do makes it clear - they have nowhere to go now - nevermind in 2024.

Edit: If you doubt Swofford at this point... I don't know what to tell you. That guy pulled a rabbit out of his hat.

I thought the whole expansion thing is based on the current B12 contract which gives more money to the conference for the next 8 years.

That is incentive enough in an uncertain situation. That, and the playoff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom