Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
None of them are save for about 4 schools in the American and BYU.

It's probably worse being one those 5 schools that have to keep spending like P5 school with G5 conference money. Even though UConn is the only one that truly spends like a P5.

There are other solutions. The G5 schools are just stuck in year 2000 thinking.

Reaction Score
Every solution I've heard involve other G5 schools doing UConn football a solid while we take our basketball back to the Big East. Sounds great for us, for the others not so muchm

Reaction Score
Nelson I'm curious...how many season ticket holders/donors (football only and multi-sport including football) do you think UConn loses if they follow your plan of returning to the Big East with all sports and go either indy with football or park them in the AAC as football only?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson I'm curious...how many season ticket holders/donors (football only and multi-sport including football) do you think UConn loses if they follow your plan of returning to the Big East with all sports and go either indy with football or park them in the AAC as football only?

I think 95% of the UConn donors would sign up for AAC Football and Big East for other sports in a nanosecond.

There are other possibilities that are more innovative though. The G5 is never going to solve its problems by negotiating as separate conferences with the P5 and the networks, or by moving a few teams between these silly, artificial leagues. I think they need to restructure their college football conferences or they will fail.

Reaction Score
I think 95% of the UConn donors would sign up for AAC Football and Big East for other sports in a nanosecond.

There are other possibilities that are more innovative though. The G5 is never going to solve its problems by negotiating as separate conferences with the P5 and the networks, or by moving a few teams between these silly, artificial leagues. I think they need to restructure their college football conferences or they will fail.

How? How do you restructure the G5 to keep it competitive with the P5, while appealing to the networks?

Generally interested in what you think is an innovative solution to leveling the playing field.

Reaction Score

the ONLY problem I see with that is you have a network like ESPN paying pennies on the $ to broadcast AAC games...and making up the difference on the huge contracts they pay out in the P-5. As long as they are buying super low and making a HUGE profit off of that content you won't see anything. If the AAC schools were allowed to control their own Tier 3 rights that would make a big difference form where they are at right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
the ONLY problem I see with that is you have a network like ESPN paying pennies on the $ to broadcast AAC games...and making up the difference on the huge contracts they pay out in the P-5. As long as they are buying super low and making a HUGE profit off of that content you won't see anything. If the AAC schools were allowed to control their own Tier 3 rights that would make a big difference form where they are at right now.

We are in complete agreement on that.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Junglehusky's solution:

1) Stay in AAC and depend on ESPN
2) Failure of Athletic Department

I can guarantee that 2 will follow 1.
Just like you can guarantee "PROFIT!"

Reaction Score
I don't think the Mountain West schools have any motivation to partner with the top of the American. They've just been given concrete proof via the Big 12 that any expansion coming down the road will come from one of six schools. Five are in the American and one is BYU - why would the MW want to set themselves up for a fall?

Nor does the top of the American have any leverage over SMU, Tulane, etc. We're not going anywhere and they know it. And if we do, nothing they do now will have any impact.

The AAC and MWC need to be blown up. The top of each along with BYU would make a good all sports conference. I'd like each matchup in football and basketball would be decent. Keep the members to a minimum and reserve space for B12 refugees.

Reaction Score
By Chuck Carlton , Staff Writer Contact Chuck Carlton on Twitter: @ChuckCarltonDMN

UPDATE 4:20 P.M.: Oklahoma President David Boren released the following statement:
"I do not know where the speculation came from, but Oklahoma has not yet taken a position on expansion."

Doink.jpg

Reaction Score
Duplicate to post in Premium Thread:

Guess who's speaking for who? Tramel: OU not anti-expansion; OU is anti-expansion candidates

>>“From Day One, expanding was OK if we replaced the teams we lost with teams of equal stature,” said an OU administrator Tuesday. “They are not out there.”

Brigham Young. Houston. Cincinnati. Connecticut. All have pluses and minuses. We can debate which candidates offer the best portfolios. We cannot debate that all have minuses.

Nebraska didn't have minuses. Texas A&M didn't have minuses. Colorado and Missouri didn't have minuses. All flagship universities in their states. All deep roots with fellow conference schools. All a decent (or better) amount of football tradition. All academically stout (all four members of the prestigious Association of American Universities).

“The teams we need have left,” another Big 12 administrator said Tuesday. “Whoever you add out there really devalues the whole conference. They don't add anything. Just to get 12? What's sacred about a number? Does that make you stable?”<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Brigham Young. Houston. Cincinnati. Connecticut. All have pluses and minuses. We can debate which candidates offer the best portfolios. We cannot debate that all have minuses.

Hmmn, was that the final four?

Damn you BYU bastards you've killed us all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The American made a huge mistake when they added Tulsa and Tulane.

UConn/Cinci/USF/Houston/UCF
SMU/Memphis/Temple/ECU is a better league. Include Navy as a football only if you feel the need.

Play a football round robin and a double basketball round robin.

You'd get an average of 3 NCAA bids - would be the 6th best football league and you'd have fewer mouths to feed the next time a contact negotiation rolls around.

Everyone schedules an FCS home game, the league can schedule home and homes with BYU later in the season since they are dying for legitimate games and you don't have any problems getting 6 home games and still have one game to schedule a 2-1 with bigger programs.

The AAC championship game is worthless and makes it just as likely your best team gets beat and left out of the access bowl as it does them any good. It's not like the rare playoff contender like Houston is going to get a bump from beating Temple or USF.

Reaction Score

Guess who's speaking for who? Tramel: OU not anti-expansion; OU is anti-expansion candidates

>>“From Day One, expanding was OK if we replaced the teams we lost with teams of equal stature,” said an OU administrator Tuesday. “They are not out there.”

Nebraska didn't have minuses. Texas A&M didn't have minuses. Colorado and Missouri didn't have minuses. All flagship universities in their states. All deep roots with fellow conference schools. All a decent (or better) amount of football tradition. All academically stout (all four members of the prestigious Association of American Universities).

“The teams we need have left,” another Big 12 administrator said Tuesday. “Whoever you add out there really devalues the whole conference. They don't add anything. Just to get 12? What's sacred about a number? Does that make you stable?”<<

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Big12 lost... They have become the fifth wheel.

did they really need to go through this whole process to determine that another Nebraska, Texas a.m, , Colorado, or Missouri weren't waiting in the wings.

Sounds like this really was a public shakedown for money that went south. Way to patronize your fellow universities in a public dick measuring contest. Almost like a fraternity prank to find the ugliest date. You just can't make this crap up with the big 12.

Eight years is a long way off, but the Big 12 is a dead conference walking.
Maybe those goobers really did believe an Arizona or FSU was going to apply. Or the 4 schools that ran like hell away from there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Big12 lost... They have become the fifth wheel.

did they really need to go through this whole process to determine that another Nebraska, Texas a.m, , Colorado, or Missouri weren't waiting in the wings.

Sounds like this really was a public shakedown for money that went south. Way to patronize your fellow universities in a public dick measuring contest. Almost like a fraternity prank to find the ugliest date. You just can't make this crap up with the big 12.

Eight years is a long way off, but the Big 12 is a dead conference walking.

I'll add this: anyone who thinks that there is some large, significant gulf between Colorado or Missouri and UConn is delusional. Academics are comparable, they are AAU, our USNWR numbers are better. All three have good markets. Mizzou has well rounded athletics, but has never been excellent at anything. Colorado basketball sucks and football hasn't been very good since McCartney. Even though McCartney thrived recruiting LA gang kids, CU hasn't done well in the Pac.

If every single aspect about UConn was the same as it is, but it was in Arkansas, it would be asked to join immediately.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

THe Big XII sounds like they want to get back together with their steaming hot college girlfriend who was out of their league in the first place and who dated other guys, got married, has kids, and another on the way. SHE DUMPED YOU, BIG XII!!! MOVE ON!! By the way, A&M matriculated (for a year, anyway) Johnny Football. They are not without faults of their own.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'll add this: anyone who thinks that there is some large, significant gulf between Colorado or Missouri and UConn is delusional. Academics are comparable, they are AAU, our USNWR numbers are better. All three have good markets. Mizzou has well rounded athletics, but has never been excellent at anything. Colorado basketball sucks and football hasn't been very good since McCartney. Even though McCartney thrived recruiting LA gang kids, CU hasn't done well in the Pac.

If every single aspect about UConn was the same as it is, but it was in Arkansas, it would be asked to join immediately.

Agree. There is nothing markedly different between us, and say, Colorado when you look at all the metrics.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's actually a very literal gulf. The miles between the places and the difference in culture.

They have decades of history with those schools - of course they seem more attractive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The funny thing about any Big12 Admin talking about devaluing is anyone not named UT devalues the conference.

Anyone in the industry could provide a team by team analysis of added value. Literally half the conference would have to be below the median.

You would also know which schools are above the mean average based on distribution to each school.

So while it may be true that according to some none of the proposed additions bring in a marginal value equal or greater to average value, there are already schools in the conference that are a drag.

A one team conference of Texas makes the most money.
A two team conference of UT and OU would make more per school than the current amount they receive in the current 10 team conference.
I don't know which school is considered #3, 4, etc but literally every school added decreases average share.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's actually a very literal gulf. The miles between the places and the difference in culture.

They have decades of history with those schools - of course they seem more attractive.

Seem being the operative word. It's pretty simple, the Big 12 cannot exist as a plains state plus Texas league past the current TV contract. End of story. So they may desire that outcome, but it is not an outcome available to them.

I understand them, believe me. I'm originally from Kansas. Going from CT to KU law they thought it was weird that I understood the rules of hockey. But reality is a bitch.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Oh, I can think of few things.

Trophy140925b015.jpg

No lie, the remainder of my post actually said "except this:" and I was going to put exactly this pic but I decided it was too much work to find it and deleted that part lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom