Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 55 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I look forward to either welcoming the Big 12 schools who don't think we add value to the AAC in 8 years or laughing at them as they backfill the AAC when we get an invite to the ACC or better, the B1G, when the Big 12 GOR ends and the conference disappears.

What a crock of crap that is that we aren't adding value to a conference with schools like ISU, KSU, and Texas Tech.....please.

Reaction Score
"They don't add anything" is idiotic. They don't add the same value as UT or OU, that makes sense. Sounds like B12 expansion is done. The good news is AAC stays as is until 2024. At that time we shall see what value the other 8 schools bring to the table.

I'm sorry but I still don't see the value of OU beyond football tradition. A state similar to CT population wise, but a state with an NBA team and another B12 school in the same footprint. How do they increase or match revenue requirements for the SEC or B1G. The ACC and PAC is too far away. Same argument against us.

Reaction Score
The American made a huge mistake when they added Tulsa and Tulane.

UConn/Cinci/USF/Houston/UCF
SMU/Memphis/Temple/ECU is a better league. Include Navy as a football only if you feel the need.

Play a football round robin and a double basketball round robin.

You'd get an average of 3 NCAA bids - would be the 6th best football league and you'd have fewer mouths to feed the next time a contact negotiation rolls around.

Everyone schedules an FCS home game, the league can schedule home and homes with BYU later in the season since they are dying for legitimate games and you don't have any problems getting 6 home games and still have one game to schedule a 2-1 with bigger programs.

The AAC championship game is worthless and makes it just as likely your best team gets beat and left out of the access bowl as it does them any good. It's not like the rare playoff contender like Houston is going to get a bump from beating Temple or USF.

In fairness at the time of the last round of expansion you needed 12 for a Championship Game, which was always Aresco and The American's stated goal.

Also, Aresco was still negotiating a TV deal at the time of the Tulane add, so having the NOLA market in his pocket was thought to increase leverage and the conferences value (which it clearly did not succeed in doing).

Tulsa, yeah, they should be shot into the Sun.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In fairness at the time of the last round of expansion you needed 12 for a Championship Game, which was always Aresco and The American's stated goal.

Also, Aresco was still negotiating a TV deal at the time of the Tulane add, so having the NOLA market in his pocket was thought to increase leverage and the conferences value (which it clearly did not succeed in doing).

That's my point - they didn't (don't) need a championship game.

If Aresco thought he was adding value with Tulane's market he should forfeit his salary since that day.

Reaction Score
That's my point - they didn't (don't) need a championship game.

If Aresco thought he was adding value with Tulane's market he should forfeit his salary since that day.

I'm not gonna dispute your take on Aresco's read on Tulane's value to the NOLA market, but I do think having the CCG is actually good for the conference for a couple of reasons:

1) Having a 13th game increases the conference's chances of getting into the CFP and a NY6 bowl bid.

2) There is additional revenue to be gained through the CCG.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not gonna dispute your take on Aresco's read on Tulane's value to the NOLA market, but I do think having the CCG is actually good for the conference for a couple of reasons:

1) Having a 13th game increases the conference's chances of getting into the CFP and a NY6 bowl bid.

2) There is additional revenue to be gained through the CCG.

I don't think number 1 is a given and I imagine when you divide by 12 instead of 10 it's actually a net decrease to each school.

If my deal is 20 million for 10
and 22 for 12 - which would I prefer?

The championship game would have to be worth more than 2 full shares to make it worthwhile on a per team basis.

Reaction Score
I don't think number 1 is a given and I imagine when you divide by 12 instead of 10 it's actually a net decrease to each school.

If my deal is 20 million for 10
and 22 for 12 - which would I prefer?

The championship game would have to be worth more than 2 full shares to make it worthwhile on a per team basis.

For No. 1 I am just going on what the CFP selection committee has publicly said. I'm not making that up.

On No. 2 I agree, but again, at the time you needed 12 for a CCG. If The American were to lose two more teams, I would totally agree it's in everyone's best interest to stay at 10.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For No. 1 I am just going on what the CFP selection committee has publicly said. I'm not making that up.

On No. 2 I agree, but again, at the time you needed 12 for a CCG. If The American were to lose two more teams, I would totally agree it's in everyone's best interest to stay at 10.

Well the committee is assuming you win the game when they say that....

It's different for the AAC because they aren't going to have two candidates.

Reaction Score
Well the committee is assuming you win the game when they say that....

It's different for the AAC because they aren't going to have two candidates.

Maybe, but is a 12-1 Boise State more likely to jump a 12-0 Houston team when in the final weekend of the year Boise has big win over Colorado State in the MWC Championship game and Houston is sitting at home?

I don't think you can leave that to chance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe, but is a 12-1 Boise State more likely to jump a 12-0 Houston team when in the final weekend of the year Boise has big win over Colorado State in the MWC Championship game and Houston is sitting at home?

Sometimes yes - sometimes no which is why I don't think it's as valuable as Aresco.

Reaction Score

If Houston gets to 12-0, they will have beaten OU and Louisville. Only way they're not in the playoffs is if Stanf/Wash & Clemson are unbeaten. Aint no way Boise is leaping them.

Reaction Score
If Houston gets to 12-0, they will have beaten OU and Louisville. Only way they're not in the playoffs is if Stanf/Wash & Clemson are unbeaten. Aint no way Boise is leaping them.

Thanks, I meant in a hypothetical, non-CCG world.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That would be pretty cool Almost makes me feel bad about our beating them tomorrow. Almost.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There is no way that adding Tulane and Tulsa were offset by adding the AAC title game.

Not to mention the fact that NCAA credits, bowl revenue and then having to see them on your home schedules for football and basketball kills tickets sales.

It was an idiotic decision then and it still is now.

The New Orleans market. JFC.

Reaction Score
There is no way that adding Tulane and Tulsa were offset by adding the AAC title game.

Not to mention the fact that NCAA credits, bowl revenue and then having to see them on your home schedules for football and basketball kills tickets sales.

It was an idiotic decision then and it still is now.

The New Orleans market. JFC.

Who would you have added?

Keep in mind that Boise St., SDSU and BYU were non-starters.

(I'm not defending the decision to add Tulane and Tulsa - especially Tulsa - but I'm looking to underscore the difficult spot the American was in at a time when you needed 12 for a CCG.)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Who would you have added?

Keep in mind that Boise St., SDSU and BYU were non-starters.

(I'm not defending the decision to add Tulane and Tulsa - especially Tulsa - but I'm looking to underscore the difficult spot the American was in at a time when you needed 12 for a CCG.)

I would have kept 10 teams and not had the CCG. It didn't bring additional revenue to cover the two new teams (not to mention the other factors I listed above) and I think the only way an AAC team would get into the playoff is if they ran the table and won ranked games ooc.

If Houston runs the table this year it won't be because they had one extra game against USF or whoever it may be.

Reaction Score

NOLA isn't a top-50 market, so I doubt they had much impact on the TV partners.

Reaction Score
If Houston runs the table this year it won't be because they had one extra game against USF or whoever it may be.

You may be right, but it flies in the face of everything the CFP committee has said.

Reaction Score
NOLA isn't a top-50 market, so I doubt they had much impact on the TV partners.

I mean, dude, it's No. 51.

But clearly you're right that it didn't matter. Though Aresco being hired was supposedly cause of his TV chops and a lot of the new teams added, like Tulane, were because of their media market. Goal was to make The American as attractive as possible for the networks to get a better TV deal.

Clearly Aresco swung and missed.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I mean, dude, it's No. 51.

But clearly you're right that it didn't matter. Though Aresco being hired was supposedly cause of his TV chops and a lot of the new teams added, like Tulane, were because of their media market. Goal was to make The American as attractive as possible for the networks to get a better TV deal.

Clearly Aresco swung and missed.
At the time I thought the rumor was Tulane got in on the heavy lobbying of a friend in the president of UCF. Why would the conference listen to that guy? Because it's the AAC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tulane got in because the Big East was in danger of ceasing to exist as a conference.

Pitt, Syracuse, WV and Rutgers were gone. They knew the Catholics were talking to Fox and that UConn, Louisville and Cincy were talking to the ACC. They needed warm bodies and Tulane and East Carolina (football-only at the time) were the warmest bodies available.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tulane got in because the Big East was in danger of ceasing to exist as a conference.

Pitt, Syracuse, WV and Rutgers were gone. They knew the Catholics were talking to Fox and that UConn, Louisville and Cincy were talking to the ACC. They needed warm bodies and Tulane and East Carolina (football-only at the time) were the warmest bodies available.

I also suspect that there were University Presidents, who watched those mostly solid academic institutions walk, and who were only willing to suffer ECU with somebody like Tulane coming in at the same time. Tulane is not a major problem for the AAC, I don't know why people are harping about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom