Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 57 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
No matter what happens during Monday's Big 12 meeting I can't help but picture the Big 12 as 10 people stumbling and bumbling around in the dark looking for the light switch.

Reaction Score
They may not be, if Fox and ESPN given them $40M to not expand that is more than having to add 2 teams and split evenly in theory. I'm sure the share will be on a scale, but at some point 2 new schools would get an equal share.

At the end of the day, if a school not named OU or UT decide to leave money on the table for nothing more than a loose assurance then they deserve their fate.

They are all being played.

My only optimism comes from the fact that money drives all decisions and they are leaving 80M/yr on the table for the next 8 years.

That's a lot of money.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anything more than a nominal buyout of the pro rata clause by the networks makes zero sense if they are not gaining the inventory of additional expansion teams.

The B12 will not be paid simply to not expand. It woupd harm future deals with the more powerful conferences.

The idea of a relief plan should the big 2 teams leave early is equally ridiculous. Why would they do that, to save the Cotton Bowl? No.

Reaction Score
The issue that some of the hilbilles are saying is that none of the teams add equivalent value to the B12 so just adding a couple G5 teams would dilute the league. ESPN/FOX agreed to that pro rata share for the hopes of adding a FSU, Clemson, Arizona, etc. and not a Cincy, UConn, USF, etc. So they would agree to a few more $$ and then name or exclude which teams they'd agree to pay the larger pro rata share for.

Anything more than a nominal buyout of the pro rata clause by the networks makes zero sense if they are not gaining the inventory of additional expansion teams.

The B12 will not be paid simply to not expand. It woupd harm future deals with the more powerful conferences.

The idea of a relief plan should the big 2 teams leave early is equally ridiculous. Why would they do that, to save the Cotton Bowl? No.

Reaction Score
The issue that some of the hilbilles are saying is that none of the teams add equivalent value to the B12 so just adding a couple G5 teams would dilute the league. ESPN/FOX agreed to that pro rata share for the hopes of adding a FSU, Clemson, Arizona, etc. and not a Cincy, UConn, USF, etc. So they would agree to a few more $$ and then name or exclude which teams they'd agree to pay the larger pro rata share for.
The instant a school moves from G5 to P5, they are in and that stigma is gone (see Pitt, uofl, tcu, Syracuse, and Rutgers). The Big12 knows that in order to increase its chances for long term survival, they need to expand. They will take the best available schools and use the remaining time to grow and stabilize the conference.
Too much money on the table, networks are overplaying their position, and UT/OU are realizing their best options are a legitimate Big12 conference. Too many concessions moving to other conference.
Big12 will add 4 but negotiate with the networks as way to 'grease the skids' for next round of negotiations. They aren't giving up $80M/year and getting nothing in return.

Reaction Score
Right now it's probably

70% they don't add any
25% they add 2 and
5% or less they add 4.

Surprised you feel so strongly about the 4

I think UT said only 1-2 expansion teams in last 10 years has made the playoff or a BCS, I don't recall the exact statement so their argument is they don't increase the value of the league. Of course, I could have my stats way off too.

VA Tech has been in a BCS as an ACC member, TCU possibly, T A&M, though they came from a P5

The instant a school moves from G5 to P5, they are in and that stigma is gone (see Pitt, uofl, tcu, Syracuse, and Rutgers). The Big12 knows that in order to increase its chances for long term survival, they need to expand. They will take the best available schools and use the remaining time to grow and stabilize the conference.
Too much money on the table, networks are overplaying their position, and UT/OU are realizing their best options are a legitimate Big12 conference. Too many concessions moving to other conference.
Big12 will add 4 but negotiate with the networks as way to 'grease the skids' for next round of negotiations. They aren't giving up $80M/year and getting nothing in return.

Reaction Score
Right now it's probably

70% they don't add any
25% they add 2 and
5% or less they add 4.

Surprised you feel so strongly about the 4

I think UT said only 1-2 expansion teams in last 10 years has made the playoff or a BCS, I don't recall the exact statement so their argument is they don't increase the value of the league. Of course, I could have my stats way off too.

VA Tech has been in a BCS as an ACC member, TCU possibly, T A&M, though they came from a P5
Just going with my sources....

Reaction Score
how can anyone trust any sources considering the big 12 has no damn idea what they even want to do as of now

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and Rutgers didn't go from G5 to P5. They were all in a BCS conference and went to a BCS conference which became a P5. The P5/G5 distinction wasn't made until the BCS ended. The inaugural season of the AAC it was a BCS conference. It only became G5 when the new designations were implemented and the distinction was drawn. TCU is the only school out of that group that truly transitioned from a mid major conference to a BCS conference, although they spent far more years in the SWC than they did in the various mid major conferences they belonged to after the SWC broke up in 1995. They were no stranger to the big time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse and Rutgers didn't go from G5 to P5. They were all in a BCS conference and went to a BCS conference which became a P5. The P5/G5 distinction wasn't made until the BCS ended. The inaugural season of the AAC it was a BCS conference. It only became G5 when the new designations were implemented and the distinction was drawn. TCU is the only school out of that group that truly transitioned from a mid major conference to a BCS conference, although they spent far more years in the SWC than they did in the various mid major conferences they belonged to after the SWC broke up in 1995. They were no stranger to the big time.
Louisville was once a member of C-USA.

Reaction Score
I think to sum it up... the fact that there is an announcement on Monday is both the worst case scenario with a small chance of being the best case scenario. My head hurts.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can definitely say that I flew from Austin to Providence yesterday, and did not see anyone noteworthy on the plane. Could this mean something? In CR everything always seems to mean something.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I can definitely say that I flew from Austin to Providence yesterday, and did not see anyone noteworthy on the plane. Could this mean something? In CR everything always seems to mean something.
Here's the thing, if you get on a plane and do not see anyone noteworthy within the first 1/2 of the flight, you are the someone noteworthy on the plane...

...or something like that.

Reaction Score

Maybe the B12 sent you to officially tell the AAC that UConn is gone on Monday...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's the thing, if you get on a plane and do not see anyone noteworthy within the first 1/2 of the flight, you are the someone noteworthy on the plane...

...or something like that.

I can't claim to be noteworthy to UT. But the name on my badge and the building I went to, that guy is their #1 donor. And the woman who's meetings I attended is his next door neighbor.

Reaction Score
Press conference... Would they have a press conference is there was no expansion?

Reaction Score
SI College Football@si_ncaafb 28 mins ago
Sources indicate to @SIPeteThamel that Big 12 expansion appear unlikely. Story:
Sources: Big 12 expansion appears unlikely

>>While that’s not a definitive consensus, a new development with the league’s television partners has made not expanding the most likely scenario. Multiple sources indicated there have been discussions with the Big 12’s TV partners to pay the league not to expand. The purpose of the payment would be to eliminate the pro rata clause in the TV contract—which the TV officials consider a loophole—that enables the league to receive nearly $25 million annually for every school it adds. The willingness of ESPN and Fox to discuss paying to eliminate that clause and end future potential expansion drama in upcoming years makes not expanding the most likely conclusion.“If they put more money up and bought out that pro rata clause, we’ll likely keep ourselves at 10,” speculated a high-ranking Big 12 source.

While that’s not a definitive consensus, a new development with the league’s television partners has made not expanding the most likely scenario. Multiple sources indicated there have been discussions with the Big 12’s TV partners to pay the league not to expand. The purpose of the payment would be to eliminate the pro rata clause in the TV contract—which the TV officials consider a loophole—that enables the league to receive nearly $25 million annually for every school it adds. The willingness of ESPN and Fox to discuss paying to eliminate that clause and end future potential expansion drama in upcoming years makes not expanding the most likely conclusion.<<

ESPN shivs us again

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom