Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 58 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

Reaction Score
SI College Football@si_ncaafb 28 mins ago
Sources indicate to @SIPeteThamel that Big 12 expansion appear unlikely. Story:
Sources: Big 12 expansion appears unlikely

>>While that’s not a definitive consensus, a new development with the league’s television partners has made not expanding the most likely scenario. Multiple sources indicated there have been discussions with the Big 12’s TV partners to pay the league not to expand. The purpose of the payment would be to eliminate the pro rata clause in the TV contract—which the TV officials consider a loophole—that enables the league to receive nearly $25 million annually for every school it adds. The willingness of ESPN and Fox to discuss paying to eliminate that clause and end future potential expansion drama in upcoming years makes not expanding the most likely conclusion.“If they put more money up and bought out that pro rata clause, we’ll likely keep ourselves at 10,” speculated a high-ranking Big 12 source.

While that’s not a definitive consensus, a new development with the league’s television partners has made not expanding the most likely scenario. Multiple sources indicated there have been discussions with the Big 12’s TV partners to pay the league not to expand. The purpose of the payment would be to eliminate the pro rata clause in the TV contract—which the TV officials consider a loophole—that enables the league to receive nearly $25 million annually for every school it adds. The willingness of ESPN and Fox to discuss paying to eliminate that clause and end future potential expansion drama in upcoming years makes not expanding the most likely conclusion.<<

Those negotiations are either done or no longer happening. There would be much more posturing and public stated intent to expand if they were currently negotiating the networks in that way, as that is their leverage. The lack of planted "Likely to expand" leaks makes this seem far fetched or done.

Reaction Score
Gather the pitchforks and torches. ESPN had better build a moat.
Have you seen ESPN's campus lately? The entrance to the employee parking lot has twin toll booths. An out of control dump truck heading Bristol bound could take them out with much fender damage.
Then there is their offices further up the street in the old Superior Electric factory. Seems like security is an afterthought with that facility.
I'm not wishing for any criminal activity to occur as the Mouse employs many Southington residents. Just pointing out the obvious.

a

Reaction Score
Have you seen ESPN's campus lately? The entrance to the employee parking lot has twin toll booths. An out of control dump truck heading Bristol bound could take them out with much fender damage..............................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................
If such a scenario happened however, its more likely to be from a brakeless N.E. Patriots equipment truck, imo. Just a hunch anyway.

a

Reaction Score
I think Mike Melio probably counts as a 'top shelf' tweeter considering that he's amongst a handful of UConn's most influential donors. His tweets this morning are interesting. Maybe he doesn't know anything definitively, but basically looks like he's implying that we aren't headed to the Big XII

Agree he's got inner ears but I don't necessarily see his messaging that way - he's UConn/Bleeds Blue all the way.

Mike Melio ‏@EnzosDad 3h3 hours ago
All of this Doomsday talk about what might happen on Monday is Ridiculous! We are NOT Victims- WE ARE @UConn ! We WILL RISE no matter what!

A small Agricultural College EVOLVED into a National Academic/Athletic POWERHOUSE Due to LEADERSHIP not FEAR. We WILL RISE REGARDLESS @UConn

Mike Melio ‏@EnzosDad 1h1 hour ago
A Top 20 Public University is CREATED by INTELLIGENCE COMMITMENT & RESOLVE-NOT by an Invitation to a Conference. @UConn #WatchUsRise

Mike Melio ‏@EnzosDad 35m35 minutes ago
We have OVERCOME immeasurable Odds.We are a Conference's ACADEMIC/ATHLETIC Dream.Doesn't matter what happens on Monday. @UConn #WatchUsRise

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I can definitely say that I flew from Austin to Providence yesterday, and did not see anyone noteworthy on the plane. Could this mean something? In CR everything always seems to mean something.

Clearly a head fake.

Reaction Score
Agree he's got inner ears but I don't necessarily see his messaging that way - he's UConn/Bleeds Blue all the way.

All of this Doomsday talk about what might happen on Monday is Ridiculous! We are NOT Victims- WE ARE @UConn ! We WILL RISE no matter what!

A small Agricultural College EVOLVED into a National Academic/Athletic POWERHOUSE Due to LEADERSHIP not FEAR. We WILL RISE REGARDLESS @UConn

A Top 20 Public University is CREATED by INTELLIGENCE COMMITMENT & RESOLVE-NOT by an Invitation to a Conference. @UConn #WatchUsRise

We have OVERCOME immeasurable Odds.We are a Conference's ACADEMIC/ATHLETIC Dream.Doesn't matter what happens on Monday. @UConn #WatchUsRise
It absolutely does matter if UConn is left behind again and our conference mates are chosen over us.

Reaction Score

Well this isn't good.

Reaction Score
Will Suzi and Benedict have a presser and make 5,000 excuses and talk about how great UConn is....yada, yada, yada....or will it be radio silence?

Over/under on the number of "Fire Benedict" threads I'll have to put on ignore tomorrow?

Reaction Score
Well this isn't good.

He may have deeper insight but you have to read all his post to get a sense of where he is coming from (not just these)... cherry-picking his tweets don't paint a complete picture of his feelings/style. He makes a living w/ inspirational/motivational speaking.

You need to see the ones' after some games...

Mike Melio@EnzosDad 2 hours ago
Our Kids Fought with EVERY FIBER OF THEIR BEING last night- NOT something you can SEE looking through the Lens of CRITICISM@UConnFootball

Reaction Score
No one has any idea what the Big 12 presidents are gonna do. Literally, no one. These presidents haven't met together since July. They meet tonight for a dinner and then Monday for a few hours. I would be absolutely shocked if they announced that X teams will be added tomorrow. If anything, I think they announce that they AGREE to expand by 2/4 and continue the expansion search. I still think the likeliest announcement tomorrow is that expansion is tabled for the time being.

Reaction Score
A worse nightmare for me is not that the B12 passes over UConn for other AAC teams, but the ACC decides to expand and Navy/Army are chosen over UConn.

Reaction Score
He may have deeper insight but you have to read all his post to get a sense of where he is coming from (not just these)... cherry-picking his tweets don't paint a complete picture of his feelings/style. He makes a living w/ inspirational/motivational speaking.

You need to see the ones' after some games...

Mike Melio@EnzosDad 2 hours ago
Our Kids Fought with EVERY FIBER OF THEIR BEING last night- NOT something you can SEE looking through the Lens of CRITICISM@UConnFootball

Idk man, I don't know why he'd be tweeting that out unless he knows something.

Reaction Score

Who knows what direction this is heading...

Mike Melio@EnzosDad 21 mins ago
Successful Relationships in ANYTHING come down to COMPATIBILITY AND TIMING. We are an INFLUENTIAL INSTITUTION @Uconn .The RIGHT FIT is near.

Mike Melio@EnzosDad 16 mins ago
RESOLVE DOES NOT FEAR being left behind. RESOLVE understands:THOSE PERFORMING at the HIGHEST LEVEL SUCCEED in spite of CIRCUMSTANCE.@UConn

Reaction Score

Successful Relationships in ANYTHING come down to COMPATIBILITY AND TIMING. We are an INFLUENTIAL INSTITUTION @Uconn .The RIGHT FIT is near.

RESOLVE DOES NOT FEAR being left behind. RESOLVE understands:THOSE PERFORMING at the HIGHEST LEVEL SUCCEED in spite of CIRCUMSTANCE.@UConn

I'm going to read way too much into this and assume the AAC is toast after 4 teams get picked that aren't us. this is not inspiring, Mike, you're terrifying me.

Reaction Score
I'm going to read way too much into this and assume the AAC is toast after 4 teams get picked that aren't us. this is not inspiring, Mike, you're terrifying me.

That UH, UC, and the two florida schools theory would be awful if true. Worst case scenario.

Reaction Score
That UH, UC, and the two florida schools theory would be awful if true. Worst case scenario.
The only positive I could spin from that scenario, while still the worst possible outcome, is being the benefactor of a ton of exit fees that keep us at bay in G5. It bridges the gap further until either ND could join ACC or UConn achieves AAU status. Borderline insane, but it is more money coming back to UConn.

Reaction Score

Mike Melio@EnzosDad 8 mins ago
Herbst-Rubin-McHugh-Benedict-Toscano-Newton-Goetz-Calhoun-Ollie-Auriemma-Diaco-Rowe. VISIONARY LEADERS in spite of Criticism&Doubt @Uconn

As an aside - MM was just named to Board of Directors for UConn Foundation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mike sounds to me like a cult leader in the gap of time between hearing that the ATF is coming but before the kool-aid that smells vaguely of almonds is distributed.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Was Mike Melio involved in the Diaco hiring process? Could you imagine those two guys getting in a room together?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom