Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

Discussion in 'Conference Realignment Board' started by SubbaBub, Aug 1, 2016.

1. huskymedic

huskymedic

Hope they aren't same sources as CB.

Pete Thamel@SIPeteThamel 1 min ago
    Source: Status quo in the Big 12. No members added. League still discussing adding more TV revenue from ESPN and Fox.

2. UConn990411

UConn990411

This isn't worst-case scenario, but it is confirmation that ESPN continues to * over UConn.

I don't think there's some anti-UConn conspiracy in Bristol, but it's interesting that the two sides' business interests always seem to conflict. It's time for the state to actually step up and do something.

uconnell likes this.
  3. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

Chip's sources historically are the Texas president's office. If that's indeed who told him that, the source either purposely lied, or it's 100% fact. Thamel, though his opinions at times are infuriating, sources his information just as well.

4. Uconn77Duke74

Uconn77Duke74

Really feeling like how the Patriots used CT just to squeeze more money out of MA.

5. huskymedic

huskymedic

CB was just a bit too quick but I don't disagree.

6. The Funster

The Funster Purveyor of fine bullspit

Big 12 is such a joke. Leath's comment, "I have a university run", says it all. I think everyone is sick of this charade.

uconnell, CL82, mavblues and 6 others like this.
  7. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

I mean, it's entirely possible Fenves walked out of the meeting and texted Brown that info.

8. UCFBfan

UCFBfan

If them doing nothing is true we lucked out today. The reality is that we weren't getting an invite from the Big 12 unless they went to 4 and that's such a long shot....them holding at 10 and keeping the AAC gives us time to grow football back and watch the flash in the pans regress back (hopefully)

CL82, Jimbo, Dove and 1 other person like this.
  9. D/$$$

D/$$$

They'll be studying these folks for years to come in business school: Disfunctional Organizations...

CL82 and Chin Diesel like this.
  10. bobbyinaz

bobbyinaz

I think he had contacts in the old regime under Dodds but, since the turnover at UT he hasn't broken anything which would indicate those sources are gone

11. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

The full translation is - 'The XII is a complete circus and won't last 10 more years, so now I have to go run a University and find a new conference."

CL82 and Jimbo like this.
  12. huskymedic

huskymedic

13. WestHartHusk

WestHartHusk Thank God It's Basketball Season

They couldn't even agree to stuff more money in their pockets...incredible.

Why would ESPN/FOX contemplate paying them more when it's clear they don't have the willpower to cash in the check that is already in their hands. This is impressive inaction. Absolutely impressive.

This is our time to strike. Kick out Tulsa/Tulane (not personal, just market), and make a play for CSU and AirForce/BYU/Boise (first to sign).

14. whaler11

whaler11 Kickoff: 11:11

I've been completely baffled by the coverage and conversation the last couple of weeks.

It's been obvious for weeks they weren't adding anyone. As soon as Boren changed his tune publically it was DOA.

ZooCougar, NYUConn and bobbyinaz like this.
  15. King Jonathan

King Jonathan

I can live with status quo. Being passed over again would have been a stomach punch

CL82, ZooCougar, uconnell and 2 others like this.
  16. FAIRTIDES

FAIRTIDES

Gee auditioning for "Music Man?"

uconnell likes this.
  17. huskymedic

huskymedic

18. auror

auror

You just not counting this one today, then? He was first.

19. huskymedic

huskymedic

20. The Viking

The Viking

In the end ESPN is happy with owning UConn properties for 2 million a year. Let's hope Aresco can find a way to beef up the conference money until the next B1G contract starts to open up and the plates start to shift.

I'm wondering if they DO re-work the contract will OK and TX refuse to extend the GOR still?

21. caramel

caramel Connecticut son in the Florida sun

If I was a president of any one of the finalists,after all the time,money,personnel,etc.spent by each university,not including being put through a circus atmosphere through the whole process,I would have a certain signal,with my hand,the next time they call me suggesting I,the university,apply for expansion with the Bag,errr Big 12.

uconnell likes this.
  22. auror

auror

Would love to see how the other candidates fared as well in these metrics. Let's see some more data!

Jimbo, TGW93 and History Geek like this.
  23. FDNY99

FDNY99

EXCELLENT article...worth the read!!!

uconnell and Jarhead_1775 like this.
  24. Stinger92860

Stinger92860

Unfortunately, I think it will be a P4 with 16 teams per league. Would we make the cut? Probably not, unless we can obtain AAU status, then we have a shot. How would they address the independents and the academies? How does the PAC get to 16? Oh well, we have a few years to P4, lets hope we can hang in financially until then.

25. Hoophound

Hoophound

It would be hard for us to miss the 64 team cut. It would also be nice to make that an impossibility by getting serious about football.

uconnell likes this.
  26. dayooper

dayooper It's what I do. I drink and I know things.

I don't think it will be. Each conference has its own needs and some need more members than others.

27. vowelguy

vowelguy Boneyard contrarian since 1998

Hard? Fairly easy I'd say.
    The acc SEC big PAC have 55 schools. Would be easy for big 12 except Iowa st to get the 9 spots.
    Or Notre dame. Or Houston. Or UCF usf.
    Or given that PAC has most room, some MTN schools like Nevada or Col St.

UConn is not dead, but road ahead most definitely will be hard.

28. shizzle787

shizzle787 King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool

Baylor won't sniff a power conference, and TCU probably wouldn't have a home either.

29. Hoophound

Hoophound

When there is basically a redo, which a 64 school cartel would sort of constitute, UConn would be safe. There are many schools that conferences would be happy to kick out in favor of us. The Big 12 Schools would not be safe.

30. crewbear742

crewbear742

One thing is for sure. The power conferences won't expand just because people want the symmetry of 16*4 = 64. They would each need a financial incentive to expand. Adding teams just to get to 16 doesn't necessarily bring in more money.

There are only a few foreseeable near-term events that could cause another round of expansion. The most likely event is the disintegration of the Big 12, in which case the remaining four conferences would fight over who gets the valuable properties. I think it most likely in such a circumstance that the number of teams in the Power conferences would decrease by 6. There will be no effort by those four conferences to make sure everyone in the Big 12 has a new Power Conference Home.

Of course, as cable networks disintegrate, and ESPN gets ground up under the weight of its overpriced contracts (Quick! Shed a tear! ... Well, somebody has to weep for ESPN) who knows what will happen eight years from now. But it will still be about money. The conferences will only expand if it makes them more money. They won't expand for any other reason, and certainly not just to fulfill some arbitrary desire for 16-team conferences.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    uconnell, dogged1 and King Husky like this.