Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 40 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think they were told there was no money and that ESPN couldn't pay them for anyone available, contract or no contract. The Big 12 was left to think they needed FSU and Clemson to make it work. When the ACC got a network the pipe dream of poaching the ACC was dead and they felt slighted by ESPN.

I can guarantee you that ESPN told the B12 there was no value in UConn, Cincy etc. The B12 bought it, despite the consultant's claims....until they realized they were getting screwed. I am hoping that the B12 is onto UConn's value to ESPN and considers us a must have in expansion. Our presentation needs to drive home our value and appearances on ESPN compared to the others in order to show B12 presidents what ESPN is doing. Why are all of our basketball games prime time? What are those worth? How do our football games compare? How about when we are winning? They will find that even if our football ratings aren't quite as good as Houston's at this moment, the advertising revenue generated is still better. A solid UConn football team playing a B12 schedule is a great product with tremendous value and it will blow away Houston or Cincy when basketball dollars get added in. NCAA tourney credits are huge money, who brings those to the B12?

You don't have to sell me. If the league wasn't functionally broken - I don't see why they would consider anyone other than UConn and Cincinnati.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
If it's between us, Cincy, and Houston, Houston will get left out because they are too good at football. Here me out: the Big 12 did research specifically to find out which format would lead to the highest percentage chance of a team in the playoff. Obviously, OU and Texas were referring to themselves when referring to that team. Would adding UH increase or decrease their odds of getting in? UConn and Cincy are perfect because they are mediocre in football and great in most other departments. They usually won't stink up the joint, but they also won't usually compete for a CFP spot.
I have been using this point for weeks with the Big 12 yokes I know. After Sat, they finally agreed with me.

Reaction Score
If it is only 2 teams, I can't see a scenario where Houston gets enough non-Texas school votes to make the league 5 of 12 teams from Texas. If it is 2 teams, it will be 2 of BYU, UC, and UConn. If it is 4 teams then add UH to that list.

Disclaimer... I am wrong a lot.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The Big 12 will pass on BYU. When it comes to crunch time, the negatives of BYU will become too big to overlook and they won't get the votes. I think Houston will be left on the doorstep as well.

Reaction Score
If it is only 2 teams, I can't see a scenario where Houston gets enough non-Texas school votes to make the league 5 of 12 teams from Texas. If it is 2 teams, it will be 2 of BYU, UC, and UConn. If it is 4 teams then add UH to that list.

taking it a step further, if it is two teams, does BYU support the eastward push? If anything it brings the geographic center of the league further west.

Reaction Score
Appears that UCF couldn't use up their full hour.
or they started late because UConn went before them and the presentation was super enthralling and backed up the UCF presentation start time?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Anyone who understands the business side agrees with you. Houston will only be 1 of 2 if it is a purely emotional decision based on the victory over Houston. That said, Houston's pending big year could push 1 or 2 Big 12 schools to be in favor of 4 teams instead of 2.

One thing I am sure some Big 12 schools are aware of is how much dead weight there is inside the league. Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas State and Iowa State would never get picked to join a P5 league today if the college football was starting from scratch and was looking to pick the top 60 or 65 athletic programs. Those 4 bring nothing to the table. WVU is not exactly a marketer's dream either, but they have been good at picking coaches over the years. That is half the league that is getting supported by the other half, and of the other half, Oklahoma State and TCU have their challenges. Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas are top tier programs in either football or basketball, and the major land grant universities in their state so they have widespread appeal.

An argument could be made the BYU, UConn, Cincinnati and Houston would immediately be more important to TV than about half the league, and increase the overall prestige of the league in either basketball and/or football while bringing large markets. The Big 12 needs these new schools, and I think several of the Big 12 schools realize it.

Reaction Score
It is now time for a new thread, The Diamond Tweet. I don't care about any other program. We are in or we are not. There should be one post in this thread and I can only imagine the blizzard of posts which would follow said tweet in the commentary thread. Thank you. :cool:

btw, UConn should have had the shortest presentation. "We are UConn, and you know our qualifications. Thanks y'all."

Reaction Score
It is now time for a new thread, The Diamond Tweet. I don't care about any other program. We are in or we are not. There should be one post in this thread and I can only imagine the blizzard of posts which would follow said tweet in the commentary thread. Thank you. :cool:

btw, UConn should have had the shortest presentation. "We are UConn, and you know our qualifications. Thanks y'all."

Yes. If that happens, I vote we have a one post tweet in this forum with the first tweet that breaks the news correctly. The close it and pin it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So Rice is up now. Did they do them in alphabetical order?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anytime you can have a school that is a double digit dog to Army present to join your league.... how do you say no?

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 11m11 minutes ago
Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby joined @CedGolden & @kbohls & talked expansion: "We have a lot of initiatives going on, but as I've said..."

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 9m9 minutes ago
"before, I'm going to keep conversations between me & people I've had them with. We have lot of moving parts, but what I said about national

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 7m7 minutes ago
"..competitiveness is close to a good answer as I can give you on this topic too. We need to do the things that will optimize ability to.."

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 6m6 minutes ago
"keep pace with competition at the national level and so our board has been very engaged & President Fenves & Boren are both leaders."

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 5m5 minutes ago
"ISU President Leath serves on NCAA Board of Directors so we have good representation among Pres & Chancellors & they are thoughtful &.."

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 4m4 minutes ago
"as engaged as they've ever been in my time here with the Big 12 Conference."

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 3m3 minutes ago
Bowlsby on Houston win over OU: "I'm not getting into talking about any members who are under consideration. It's not SHORT term discussion"

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 2m2 minutes ago
"How you do in 1 game or 1 season isn't particularly material. We are looking at metrics on deeper level than that & I'll leave it at that."

ThisIsUConnCountry‏@MattSchonvisky
Bowlsby on non-revenue sports for potential candidates: "Our aspiration is same for all of our sports as it is for football..."

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 1m1 minute ago
"This year we won 3 Natl Titles, finished in top 4 in 16 sports, had 3 of last 8 in baseball, won softball champ, in final in volleyball.."

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 4m4 minutes ago
"We had a team in the Final 4, had a team in Final 4 in football, aspirationally we want to be just as good as we can be everywhere we play"

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 3m3 minutes ago
"Despite fact that media attention is on football & possibly men's/women's bball during the year, some baseball, those that work on..."

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 2m2 minutes ago
"inside & on campus, we want to be as good as we can be in everything we sponsor. If we look at adding new members, they are going to have..

ThisIsUConnCountry‏@MattSchonvisky
"bear up to that pressure because our league is about broad based programming & about winning championships" Bowlsby

Well that's about the most promising thing I've ever heard.

Was anything that wasn't as favorable left out of the quotes?

Reaction Score
Well that's about the most promising thing I've ever heard.

Was anything that wasn't as favorable left out of the quotes?
No, there were a couple more quotes that I just got tired of editing in, but it didn't have anything that was here or there with respect to our potential of getting in. Something about a date for their championship game and a few more rather meaningless media rights tidbits.

Edit: oops, Matt is posting more quotes as we speak.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Someone send this to Bowlsby, since he wants a well-rounded athletic school

National team championships since Big 12 was founded in 1996

UConn: 17
Texas: 17
Oklahoma: 13
Oklahoma State: 9
West Virginia: 8
BYU: 7
Baylor: 3
TCU: 2
Kansas: 1
Kansas State: 0
Houston: 0
Iowa State: 0
Texas Tech: 0
Cincinnati: 0
UCF: 0

Reaction Score
Well I feel a lot better now...

Rule #1 but Bowlsby is spinning narrative backwards from "Houston is a lock" and "how can they possibly pass up Houston" after this weekend's performance. Commissioner speak - yeah, direct message to national media pushing that point - yeah, veiled message to UT and Texas politics - likely and a clear nod to consultant data.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom