Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, if those comments dont just scream UConn, nothing does.

Softening the blow for the fans who want Boise or some crap. I still like our chances here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I took the Bowlsby quotes from Matt, linked the audio and started a thread on CNSbbs realignment board. That should be fun when the Boise and Memphis fans start whining.

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 24s24 seconds ago
"We are in process of having conversations w/Fox & ESPN & those may not be concluded, but we'll have good talks about conf composition &

"then it will be up to presidents & chancellors if they decide to resolve the matter or if they want more info or do it on diff time frame"

Interesting. The first quote, in particular, can be reworded to say "We are in the process of having conf composition conversations w/Fox & ESPN and those may not be concluded, but we'll have good talks" & "then it will be up to presidents & chancellors if they decide to resolve the matter or if they want more info or do it on diff time frame"

So, the way I read it, it looks like FOX and ESPN will present the short list to the presidents, who will ultimately vote on what the networks put together (?)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 3m3 minutes ago
"Despite fact that media attention is on football & possibly men's/women's bball during the year, some baseball, those that work on..."

Hhmmm. Let me get this straight. B12 commissioner uses the words "football" and "women's basketball" in the same sentence to describe "media attention". Reading too much into it but, hey, why not.

Reaction Score
"We are in process of having conversations w/Fox & ESPN & those may not be concluded, but we'll have good talks about conf composition &

"then it will be up to presidents & chancellors if they decide to resolve the matter or if they want more info or do it on diff time frame"

Interesting. The first quote, in particular, can be reworded to say "We are in the process of having conf composition conversations w/Fox & ESPN and those may not be concluded, but we'll have good talks" & "then it will be up to presidents & chancellors if they decide to resolve the matter or if they want more info or do it on diff time frame"

So, the way I read it, it looks like FOX and ESPN will present the short list to the presidents, who will ultimately vote on what the networks put together.

I don't think that's the right way to read it. The Tweet before it says:
"On adding 2 or 4 teams by Oct 17th: "Some components won't be resolved by 10/17. Won't know champ gm by then/what we do w/3rd tier rights"

So the Fox/ESPN discussion is regarding 3rd tier rights. Then, even if those conversations on T-3 rights aren't ironed out, the conference presidents are going to have to talk about composition and whether they want to wait for a deal with Fox/ESPN on 3rd tier before expanding.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I only hate the "time frame" comment. It might not be a kick if this whole thing waits or dies, but it's at least a brushing...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Everything Bowlsby is saying now is favorable to us. Time shall tell. If they really are thinking long term, they take us.

Says at least 5 other presenting candidates.

Reaction Score
"On adding 2 or 4 teams by Oct 17th: "Some components won't be resolved by 10/17. Won't know champ gm by then/what we do w/3rd tier rights"

So the Fox/ESPN discussion is regarding 3rd tier rights. Then, even if those conversations on T-3 rights aren't ironed out, the conference presidents are going to have to talk about composition and whether they want to wait for a deal with Fox/ESPN on 3rd tier before expanding.

Odd, because the networks didn't care about the B12's Tier 3 rights before. I wonder why they would all of a sudden be expressing interest in a conference's Tier 3 rights?

Only 1 of the remaining expansion candidates has Tier 3 rights that are worth anything - and it's UConn.

Reaction Score

So, the way I read it, it looks like FOX and ESPN will present the short list to the presidents, who will ultimately vote on what the networks put together (?)

Or maybe the conversations are " you don't want us to add any of these schools & we really don't want to either, so give us a couple million more per school and we'll stay where we are"

Reaction Score

Yep. You maybe right. Did not read the actual order of tweets.

Reaction Score

Am I the only one who's hairs stood on end when I read "We are in process of having conversations w/ Fox & ESPN.... about conference composition..." & recalled Flipper's remarks "ESPN told us who to add". We recall how well that worked out.

Reaction Score
Says at least 5 other presenting candidates.

But most of them were trying to hide something during the presentations.

Colorado state for example would be hiding all sorts of data from attendance to the amount of income the AD generates, or doesn't generate in this case. TV ratings will be abysmal.

There is no hiding where Connecticut is located and the more you lean about Connecticut football (NFL players, practive facility, etc) the more you see that there is an opportunity for growth. The more you look at TV ratings the more you are impressed. The more you look at travel times and airports it makes it clear that travel for other sports not going to be a big issue.

Reaction Score
What did UConn say if someone asked: What will you do if we offer you a spot and so does the ACC?

Reaction Score
Odd, because the networks didn't care about the B12's Tier 3 rights before. I wonder why they would all of a sudden be expressing interest in a conference's Tier 3 rights?

Only 1 of the remaining expansion candidates has Tier 3 rights that are worth anything - and it's UConn.

Seems clear the Big12 is pushing those tier 3 rights on the networks and trying to get a digital network, but the comments about Amazon, Google, etc. make me think the networks aren't budging. It's true that the tier 3 value of UConn could be a huge boon if they're trying to court non-Network homes for digital networks. I would imagine it would help BYU as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom