Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

Reaction Score
In this day and age it is a poor reflection on the P5 that women's sports don't seem to matter. University Presidents should get that even if it does not directly translate into cash. It's sounds like Bolsby is telling us they do matter to B12, which should mean we are in good shape.

I get that women's basketball doesn't move the needle nationally, but if a network is trying to establish value, does the fact that WBB is a huge TV draw in Connecticut not matter?

A B12 network that shows MBB and WBB from November through March will draw a ton of eyeballs in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 would be one of the few places outside UConn where women's basketball matters though. Their schools regularly draw crowds and they have 2 top 5 teams next year in Baylor and Texas.
Don't you mean Baylor & Oklahoma?

Reaction Score
Just finished listening to Bowlsby's interview, and it is music to my ears. The fact b12 is looking at ALL athletics in addition to football screams UCONN. There simply isn't another university that has all the qualities we have among all the candidates. More importantly, we are the only university that Texas can say is a peer without their fingers crossed.

Also, if we get offers from the ACC and the b12, I would still stick with the b12 guys. ACC and their short sightness have really screwed us. I don't think many UConn fans will ever get over how some of our former BE partners tried to exclude us, or the fact they left a school that's a perfect fit out vs. voted in a pimp n ho cheating commuter school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just finished listening to Bowlsby's interview, and it is music to my ears. The fact b12 is looking at ALL athletics in addition to football screams UCONN. There simply isn't another university that has all the qualities we have among all the candidates. More importantly, we are the only university that Texas can say is a peer without their fingers crossed.

Also, if we get offers from the ACC and the b12, I would still stick with the b12 guys. ACC and their short sightness have really screwed us. I don't think many UConn fans will ever get over how some of our former BE partners tried to exclude us, or the fact they left a school that's a perfect fit out vs. voted in a pimp n ho cheating commuter school.
It's interesting. Not that beggars can be choosers here but the ACC is the more natural fit with so many formal rivals and the backing of ESPN and some type of network down the road. That being said, fuqq the ACC. Give me Texas barbecue and some country music and I'm all set (for the next 8 years at least).

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Just finished listening to Bowlsby's interview, and it is music to my ears. The fact b12 is looking at ALL athletics in addition to football screams UCONN. There simply isn't another university that has all the qualities we do among candidates. More importantly, we are the only university that Texas can say is a peer without their fingers crossed.

One thing I've been wondering about is whether or not some or all of the B12 members will be concerned about picking UConn in view of the possibility, however remote, that we would bolt from the league if the ACC or B10 ever decide they want us.

I totally agree with West Coast Husky that we should remain loyal to the B12 for as long as it remains a viable P5 conference, no matter what might happen with other leagues in the future. If they select us, it's nothing short of an athletic program saving event. Since they will be banking on us, we should be banking on them.

I trust that given the kind of opportunity joining a P5 conference represents, we are going to take full advantage of that opportunity just like we did in the Big East with football, to an extent that every other P5 league east of the Mississippi is going to long regret not having taken us when they still had the chance. I say screw all the rest of these conferences for leaving us out these past few seasons.

Reaction Score
One thing I've been wondering about is whether or not some or all of the B12 members will be concerned about picking UConn in view of the possibility, however remote, that we would bolt from the league if the ACC or B10 ever decide they want us.
No one on either side is concerned about this at the moment.

Reaction Score
Ralph Russo: AP Source: Dungy part of USF pitch to Big 12 as meeting wrap

>>Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy was part of South Florida's pitch to the Big 12 and former major league first baseman Tino Martinez also went to bat for the Bulls.

The Big 12 on Friday concluded a week of meetings in North Texas with the 11 schools vying to join the conference. USF, Cincinnati and Rice made the final presentations, according to three people with knowledge of the meetings who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the conference was keeping its meetings confidential.

According to a person familiar with USF's pitch, Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeffrey Vinik was part of the team sent to Texas and the presentation included a video with Dungy and Martinez endorsing the Bulls.<<

I'll see all those guys and raise you a Neal Pilson's, "UConn is the value choice."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I totally agree with West Coast Husky that we should remain loyal to the B12 for as long as it remains a viable P5 conference, no matter what might happen with other leagues in the future. If they select us, it's nothing short of an athletic program saving event. Since they will be banking on us, we should be banking on them.

I trust that given the kind of opportunity joining a P5 conference represents, we are going to take full advantage of that opportunity just like we did in the Big East with football, to an extent that every other P5 league east of the Mississippi is going to long regret not having taken us when they still had the chance. I say screw all the rest of these conferences for leaving us out these past few seasons.

If P5 teams could so easily move these days, then they wouldn't be picking from the orchard that they are. Once we join, all those same rules and GOR's apply.

Reaction Score

I agree 100%. If we get the B12 invite, we should remain loyal so long as B12 is a viable P5. Most of the ACC is on the enemies list. At least now they have to shut up about their academic prowess, having prostituted themselves - most fittingly with prostitutes - by inviting a poorly ranked school. B10 has been respectful, but we can't wait. If the B12 saves us from the AAC hell, it deserves our loyalty. It would be a conference to be proud of.
Not many, but a few, journalists have commented that we may bolt if the ACC or B10 come calling. I hope the B12 decision makers don't think this will happen, and if it came up during the interview, I hope we told them that they can count on us to be loyal conference members.

Reaction Score
I can confirm that some B12 fans have expressed concern with UConn that they would bolt at first chance to the ACC or B1G and therefore we should not take them.

That's got to be one of the most idiotic notions I have ever heard. Seriously - think about it. There are exactly two universities out there that are "available" and have the kind of clout on all fronts to be considered a peer to the top B12 schools. One is in the wrong geographic direction, has at best a PR-nightmare and at worst a sick scandal on their hands and goes around acting like they are Notre Dame. Nobody will take them if the Big1 2 doesn't. The PAC sure as hell ain't going to. The other is UConn.

This is like abused-spouse syndrome. Some people think UConn is too good to consider - that we need to take the low hanging fruit. That the one and only school out there that has a resume good enough to receive potential future interest from another P5 conference is the school we should avoid adding. That kind of thinking is why people laugh at the Big 12.

The latest Bowlsby interview gives me hope that the powers-that-be are on the right track though. I have no doubt if we make the smart choices here and add UConn - that you guys will be great conference-mates. I've tried to tell people that although, yes, in theory the ACC should probably be your home - there is absolutely no love loss between the majority of UConn fans and the ACC/ESPN. Much like the Mountaineers, who revel now in beating up ACC teams. And if the B1G comes knocking some day well into the future? , I'd hope my Jayhawks would jump on that as well. But for now, after this round of Big 12 moves - things will likely settle down for the foreseeable future.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If the B12 saves us from the AAC hell, it deserves our loyalty.
For as long as it remains viable. If we get into the Big 12 and then the Big 10 or ACC come calling a few years down the road, we A) have to listen, and b) have to make the best decision for the future of the school.

If there's anything the last 15 years of CR has taught us it's that there can be no room for sentimentality.

Reaction Score
I can confirm that some B12 fans have expressed concern with UConn that they would bolt at first chance to the ACC or B1G and therefore we should not take them.

That's got to be one of the most idiotic notions I have ever heard. Seriously - think about it. There are exactly two universities out there that are "available" and have the kind of clout on all fronts to be considered a peer to the top B12 schools. One is in the wrong geographic direction, has at best a PR-nightmare and at worst a sick scandal on their hands and goes around acting like they are Notre Dame. Nobody will take them if the Big1 2 doesn't. The PAC sure as hell ain't going to. The other is UConn.

This is like abused-spouse syndrome. Some people think UConn is too good to consider - that we need to take the low hanging fruit. That the one and only school out there that has a resume good enough to receive potential future interest from another P5 conference is the school we should avoid adding. That kind of thinking is why people laugh at the Big 12.

The latest Bowlsby interview gives me hope that the powers-that-be are on the right track though. I have no doubt if we make the smart choices here and add UConn - that you guys will be great conference-mates. I've tried to tell people that although, yes, in theory the ACC should probably be your home - there is absolutely no love loss between the majority of UConn fans and the ACC/ESPN. Much like the Mountaineers, who revel now in beating up ACC teams. And if the B1G comes knocking some day well into the future? , I'd hope my Jayhawks would jump on that as well. But for now, after this round of Big 12 moves - things will likely settle down for the foreseeable future.

Great post. A p5 conference should always try to invite the best schools available vs. settling. If B12 is worrying about UConn leaving, just get everyone to sign a new GOR. I am pretty sure UConn would gladly sign that if invited.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But...but...the secret B1G invite!!!!!1
Damn it! Now that the secret's out it won't happen. Thanks! Thanks a lot! You, sir, our the reason why we can't have nice things.

Reaction Score
From Dallas News article: "I heard from some Wake Forrest booster that the Big 12 will add four schools with BYU football only, Uconn, Cincy, and Houston as full members."

Great job getting your question taken by the Dallas media, Athlete94!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There should be zero concern about UConn bolting the Big 12 for the ACC/B1G. They would sign the same binding GOR that prevents other Big 12 schools from leaving. If they don't think the current GOR is ironclad, they should re-write it and apply it to all new/old members. Or they can extend the term of the GOR for all new/old members.

Food for thought: if a conference is concerned about a potential G5 candidate bolting its conference for another P5 conference, shouldn't that be evidence enough showing the value of that particular G5 candidate?? Why wouldn't the Big 12 invite UConn, then lock it into a GOR, and take away top options for other competing P5 conferences??

Reaction Score
If we got in, UConn would not be leaving the Big 12 without major movements elsewhere that would very likely involve other Big 12 schools moving as well. Highly unlikely we would be making a move in a vacuum in that scenario.

Reaction Score
If we got in, UConn would not be leaving the Big 12 without major movements elsewhere that would very likely involve other Big 12 schools moving as well. Highly unlikely we would be making a move in a vacuum in that scenario.

No one really knows. The idea would be that the B1G nabs Virginia and say Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech. Then the ACC would be looking for 2. Texas and Oklahoma? Or, if not, UConn and Cincy.

Reaction Score
From Dallas News article: "I heard from some Wake Forrest booster that the Big 12 will add four schools with BYU football only, Uconn, Cincy, and Houston as full members."

Could this Dallas News writer's source be the WF Car Wash guy? OMG! He's for real! From now on any Car Wash tweet should go on the Premium thread!
(Didn't get jostar1's Car Wash post at first - very funny.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ladies and gentlemen, if I may, I believe you all have missed perhaps the most important quote from the article that is of great importance to the insanity of "Conference Realignment":

"Are we looking at a possibility of UConn and Houston being the adds if the final three list is supposedly Houston, UConn and Cincinnati? Also could it happen if both blow away on the presentations this week? Last could Big 12 add four with BYU (full or football only), Uconn, Cincy and Houston? I heard from some Wake Forrest booster that the Big 12 will add four schools with BYU football only, Uconn, Cincy, and Houston as full members."

Can anyone confirm if Mr. Chuck Carlton was at a car wash in
Dallas, Texas recently and also did that person see him standing near a Range Rover? ;-) Good luck Uconn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ladies and gentlemen, if I may, I believe you all have missed perhaps the most important quote from the article that is of great importance to the insanity of "Conference Realignment":

"Are we looking at a possibility of UConn and Houston being the adds if the final three list is supposedly Houston, UConn and Cincinnati? Also could it happen if both blow away on the presentations this week? Last could Big 12 add four with BYU (full or football only), Uconn, Cincy and Houston? I heard from some Wake Forrest booster that the Big 12 will add four schools with BYU football only, Uconn, Cincy, and Houston as full members."

Can anyone confirm if Mr. Chuck Carlton was at a car wash in
Dallas, Texas recently and also did that person see him standing near a Range Rover? ;-) Good luck Uconn.

I gave a LOL when I read that.

Perfect troll networking. This is how you get a source to become legit. Out the same info in multiple blogs/websites and count on readers not connecting the dots.

Reaction Score

Perfect troll networking. This is how you get a source to become legit. Out the same info in multiple blogs/websites and count on readers not connecting the dots.

I apologize if my attempt at light humor could be considered trolling. I just couldn't believe that a Wake Forest booster, of all people, would be a source for an article concerning Big-12 Expansion. Then there was the car wash thread that I am fond of reading and well, I thought the joke might be found funny to the regular readers of this blog site. But if I offended anyone, please accept this apology and know that it was out of ignorance and not malice.

Reaction Score
ACC has 15 teams, something like this wouldn't be that unreasonable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom