Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 45 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I never posted any link about 2.9m viewers. You are delusional. Now you are making things completely up.

Actually I'm combining some of your entertaining posts.

The 2.95 million viewers is for 2016 which is in your post further above.

Down 33% from 2014.... I wonder why that might be?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is there documentation of this? I"ve seen some individual women's BB TV ratings for NCAA finals and such but never a list of TV ratings for regular season WBB games.
One fact I know, in the pre-conference season, the 3rd highest ranked Big East game on FS1 was UConn-DePaul WBB.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I never posted any link about 2.9m viewers. You are delusional. Now you are making things completely up.

Sorry UpS you are right - it was West Coast who posted the number for 2016. Which is the 2.95 million.

Before you posted about 2014 you said that half the state watched the championship. Who wouldn't assume you were talking about the most recent?

Hartford's DMA only has 945k households total. Even if they have 90% cable penetration a 29 rating is less than 300k homes.

Reaction Score
Actually I'm combining some of your entertaining posts.

The 2.95 million viewers is for 2016 which is in your post further above.

Down 33% from 2014.... I wonder why that might be?

What? Delusional. Show me my post.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Sorry UpS you are right - it was West Coast who posted the number for 2016. Which is the 2.95 million.

Before you posted about 2014 you said that half the state watched the championship. Who wouldn't assume you were talking about the most recent?

Hartford's DMA only has 945k households total. Even if they have 90% cable penetration a 29 rating is less than 300k homes.

How much do we have to pay you to put this much effort into debunking the claims of our rivals?

Reaction Score
One fact I know, in the pre-conference season, the 3rd highest ranked Big East game on FS1 was UConn-DePaul WBB.

It's unfortunate that there are not listing for this type of stuff to compare TV numbers for regular season WBB games like we can in football each week. Hopefully TV partners have conveyed such information to the Big 12.

One number that UConn does really well on is combined attendance for FB, BB, and WBB. Add up all the fans who bought tickets to watch those 3 sports and UConn really shines.

Reaction Score
Understood and thank you for clarifying your post for me. It is certainly appreciated.
Regardless of the numbers UConn received zero compensation for thebir
Zero if they post here!
How much money was UConn compensated for what ever the actual numbers were ?. I believe the answer is zero.
Sounds like a clear case of sexual discrimination by the folks over in Btistol.
Maybe Hillary or Donsld could pick this up as a campaign issue,
Could it also be the reason ESPN has been against our moving to another conference?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Regardless of the numbers UConn received zero compensation for thebir

How much money was UConn compensated for what ever the actual numbers were ?. I believe the answer is zero.
Sounds like a clear case of sexual discrimination by the folks over in Btistol.
Maybe Hillary or Donsld could pick this up as a campaign issue,
Could it also be the reason ESPN has been against our moving to another conference?

The rights to the tournament are owned by the NCAA. What conference anyone is in doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure the women's tournament is lumped in with the deal that gets ESPN the CWS, Lacrosse, Hockey, FCS football and everything else outside of MBB.

I couldn't find a confirmation of the amount but it might only be like $500 million total for 12 years.

So there really isn't any money to distribute from the women's tournament.

Reaction Score
The rights to the tournament are owned by the NCAA. What conference anyone is in doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure the women's tournament is lumped in with the deal that gets ESPN the CWS, Lacrosse, Hockey, FCS football and everything else outside of MBB.

I couldn't find a confirmation of the amount but it might only be like $500 million total for 12 years.

So there really isn't any money to distribute from the women's tournament.
I'm well aware of the claim that ESPN/NCAA makes that the women's tourney mskes no money .
That may our may not be true , but it's actually moot to my suggestion. How much of the money generated by the Tournry is UConn related. That would be an interesting stat. ESPN also has the broadcast rights to UConn games both men and women through the media deal with the AAC. They feature both these teams a significant number of times and the women especially because of their unique status generate significant revenue for the Bristol boys .
So in effect our women's team receives no compensation for the revenue they generate.
Apparently ESPN is opposed to the Big 12 adding UConn ,could it possibly be the result of their Explotation of women's basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm well aware of the claim that ESPN/NCAA makes that the women's tourney mskes no money .
That may our may not be true , but it's actually moot to my suggestion. How much of the money generated by the Tournry is UConn related. That would be an interesting stat. ESPN also has the broadcast rights to UConn games both men and women through the media deal with the AAC. They feature both these teams a significant number of times and the women especially because of their unique status generate significant revenue for the Bristol boys .
So in effect our women's team receives no compensation for the revenue they generate.
Apparently ESPN is opposed to the Big 12 adding UConn ,could it possibly be the result of their Explotation of women's basketball.

I'm sure ESPN makes money on it but it's not really their job to distribute money to UConn.

If ESPN is against UConn being in the Big 12 - which may or may not be true - you can rest easy it has nothing to do with exploiting women's basketball.

That the American has a bad deal isn't ESPN's fault.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Reading through the whaler/upstate feud makes me think we need a sports cesspool.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Rights to the women's tournament is lumped into the umbrella deal that ESPN negotiates with the NCAA - also lets them market the men's tournament internationally, but not domestically.

The payout for the women's tournament is functionally zero - that's not ESPN's doing, it's the NCAA.

The NCAA effectively attributes zero dollars to each women's tournament win. Win one, get zero. Win six, get zero,

Reaction Score
I'm sure ESPN makes money on it but it's not really their job to distribute money to UConn.

If ESPN is against UConn being in the Big 12 - which may or may not be true - you can rest easy it has nothing to do with exploiting women's basketball.
Maybe so but the end result is ESPN gets a bunch of pretty appealing women's games for zero cost to them .
Explotation never the less
No I blame Aresco's stupity ,but based on your agrument it's fine to pay a women a fraction of what you pay a man simply because she will accept that amount.
Shakey moral grounds

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The NCAA effectively attributes zero dollars to each women's tournament win. Win one, get zero. Win six, get zero,
Just to with Emmert a few of us, claiming to be fans of the women's basketball programs at UConn, Stanford, Tennessee etc (schools who would have accumulated a significant amount of NCAA tournament credits) should start a Title IX lawsuit against the NCAA.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No I blame Aresco's stupity ,but based on your agrument it's fine to pay a women a fraction of what you pay a man simply because she will accept that amount.
Shakey moral grounds

So there is a moral aspect to the NBA contact being higher than the WNBA contact?

Um nobody is paying men or women - they are paying schools which last I checked don't have specific genders.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are having the same experience.

Bragging about reading the ignorant half of the debate is perfect for the passive aggressive tools around here.

You don't want your feelings hurt by anyone who doesn't agree with you about everything. What kind of a clown brags about that?

Reaction Score
Bragging about reading the ignorant half of the debate is perfect for the passive aggressive tools around here.

You don't want your feelings hurt by anyone who doesn't agree with you about everything. What kind of a clown brags about that?

gordieandhomie.png

Reaction Score
One number that UConn does really well on is combined attendance for FB, BB, and WBB. Add up all the fans who bought tickets to watch those 3 sports and UConn really shines.
The FB and MBB fan is often the same fan, one in fall and one in winter. Many WBB fans do not follow FB or MBB, so they are additive to the fan base. The women's fan is also older and so provides a wider demographic for advertisers.

Few years back SC fans did not care about WBB. Last year when UConn played SC, many of their fans compared the anticipation of that game equivalent to Alabama and Georgia FB games. As schools, like Texas, SC get better and begin to challenge UConn, fan interest will spike, IMO.

Finally, a case can be made that UConn WBB is followed nationally, as this anecdotal video clip from Memphis seems to indicate(1:10 min).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Well... it kind of is, actually. If ESPN hadn't bankrolled ACC's raids on the Big East, the AAC would still be the Big East and UConn would still be in the best Basketball conference in the nation, which was a also a decent football conference. It would undoubtedly be making more TV money than it is right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom