Coaching wins | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Coaching wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Also in looking at the number of games Geno has won over the past 3 seasons compared to Tara, he has a real chance to bear her. He is only 23 behind her and he outpaced her by more than that. Just sayin...

He can pass TVV, but not likely before she passes Summitt, if that matters.

Reaction Score
He can pass TVV, but not likely before she passes Summitt, if that matters.

Too soon to say. In 2014-15, Geno won 13 more games than TVV. In 2015-16, it was 12.

The current gap is 23.

Reaction Score
Too soon to say. In 2014-15, Geno won 13 more games than TVV. In 2015-16, it was 12.

The current gap is 23.

If VanDerveer can return her program to perennial 30-win status, it will be very difficult for Auriemma to catch up to her before they both reach Summitt's mark. Stanford is in a conference that may be the most competitive in the country, with ORST, Wash, AZST, UCLA, as well as Cal, USC and very soon, OR (w/Ionescu). And Auriemma is going into the next couple of seasons with what looks on paper to be a monster team - scary good. At any rate, the 2019-2020 season is shaping up to find both of these coaches reaching 1100 wins!

Reaction Score
Projecting from the last 5 years data, the numbers say Geno beats Tara to 1099 by an eyelash.

Wins needed: Stanford 100; UConn 123

Data over 5 years, including this year (Stanford at 18-3, UConn at 20-0)
Wins: Stanford 137; Uconn 171
Winning percentage: Stanford .830; UConn .972

Projecting through this season

Total games: Stanford 180.0; UConn 192.9
Games per year: Stanford 36.0; UConn 38.6
Wins per year: Stanford 29.9; UConn 37.5

Years to 1099 (wins needed/wins per year): Stanford 3.35; UConn 3.28

Reaction Score
BY (myself included) have (collective noun plural verb is probably correct) always appreciated Tara's altruism during the 1995-96 season. Only if we could get her to acknowledge doing a job on Rebecca Lobo simultaneously.
I too do not like the practice of getting credit for a win that one did not coach. If yelling would fix it, I would very gladly do it as well.

I wonder if you knew that CD coached a few games and Geno has been credited with the victories. Why don't you let charity begin at home.

What is the "job" that Tara did on Lobo on the Olympic team???

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Projecting from the last 5 years data, the numbers say Geno beats Tara to 1099 by an eyelash.

This could make for some interesting media buzz if both are approaching Pat at the same time.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In contemplating the race to 1,000 and 1,098 wins, it's worth acknowledging that Tara forwent an entire season's worth of collegiate wins in order to coach the Olympic team. The distance between her and Geno would be much wider if she hadn't.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tara had already been working with the core of the Olympic team when Lobo graduated and was added, presumably against Tara's wishes. She ended up not playing Lobo many minutes in the whole tournament. The reality was probably that Lobo wasn't as ready for the team as the other players, not unlike Sue's first Olympics. But Lobo was at that moment the most famous women's player, so a strange situation all around.

Reaction Score
In contemplating the race to 1,000 and 1,098 wins, it's worth acknowledging that Tara forwent an entire season's worth of collegiate wins in order to coach the Olympic team. The distance between her and Geno would be much wider if she hadn't.
She has also coached NCAA WBB for several more years than Geno has.

Reaction Score
This could make for some interesting media buzz if both are approaching Pat at the same time.
Could, should, and most likely will generate significant buzz. A story line that links the three most iconic programs in the sport with the drama of a chase.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I like the way this focus has occurred as it rightly looks at Tara, Geno and Pat. We just need to move on past CVS and Hatchell. I respect these ladies and far be it for to tell them to hang up the whistle, it does appear time has past them bye. My sympathies lie more towards CVS sticking around than Hatchell due the the stink of a scandal at UNC and the academic fraud that occurred. Maybe that's why I want Geno to pass Hatchel this year and be done with her in the rear view. Anyway, I am happy for Tara and still think she is coaching effectively. My hat is off to you TVv (or is it TVV?).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
All of these coaches were part of the rise of WCBB and should be thanked. Regardless of how you feel about some of these coaches, they were pioneers for the game it has become today. Of the top 5 is Stringer the only one without a NC?

Reaction Score
Of the top 5 is Stringer the only one without a NC?
Yes.
Stevens has won a D2 title, and Conradt won, so she's the only one in the top 7 w/o a NC.
But Jim Foster is 8th, and just 23 behind Conradt, and he also has no NC. Nor does #9 (Selvig) or #10 (Landers), but Muffet will move into 9th next year.

Reaction Score
Congrats Tara!

As of the morning of 2/4:
  1. Summitt . 1098
  2. Tara ..... 980 + 20 =1000 (nxt: 2/6 UCLA, 2/10 Col, 2/12 UT)
  3. Hatchell . 975 + 13 = 988 (nxt: 2/5 @Clm, 2/9 BC,.. 2/12 @Syr)
  4. Stringer . 971 + 06 = 977 (nxt: ... ..... 2/8 Ind , 2/11 @MN)
  5. Geno ..... 955 + 21 = 976 (nxt: 2/5 TLSA, 2/7 @Cin, 2/11 SMU)
  6. Stevens .. 957 + 18 = 975 (nxt: 2/4, .... 2/8, .... 2/11)
  7. Conradt .. 900

Earliest these could happen:
  • TaraV ties PHS -- 2019-20 season
  • Hatchell @1000 -- Postseason (My guess: not this year)
  • GenoA ties CVS -- 2/05 Tlsa (My guess: 2/5 Tulsa)
  • GA ties Htchll -- NCAA Trnmt (My guess: NCAAs)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
V0t6PdI.jpg

Reaction Score

This seems pretty accurate to me, maybe slightly generous for both coaches. Geno because it includes four years of Stewie. Tara because it includes two years of Chiney. I see them both getting there in March of 2020 but Geno getting there first. It's a long shot but conceivable that UConn and Stfd meet in the NCAA tournament with both coaches at 1,097 (or both at 1,098).

Reaction Score

I do not post frequently. Hence the delay in answering. I will try my best although I am one of the least knowledgeable on this topic.

Christian Laettner was the NPOY in 1992 coming off 1991 and 1992 NC for Duke. He was named to the dream team and coach Chuck Daly did not bitch about this. He went on to win the gold medal after 3-4 months.

After a seven day trial at Colorado Springs, Rebecca Lobo was among the 11 players selected for the National Team on May 25, 1995. The following day they departed for a series of scrimmages in Europe, then recessed for the summer. Searching the web I sometimes get a 11 player roster and sometimes a 14 player roster.
They reassembled in Colorado springs for a 3 week camp starting on October 2, 1995. Lobo had the good sense to turn up for the camp out of shape, four years of UConn coaching notwithstanding. She was the youngest player on the team, relatively unskilled, the least experienced and perhaps the slowest. Tara was no Chuck Daly and opened her mouth. Geno once famously described Maria Conlon as a player who is not only slow but short as well. Vanderveer was no rival to Geno's humor. She would win the olympic gold 10 months later.

Hartford Courant

Mechelle Voepel on this topic

NY Daily News

Reaction Score
I do not post frequently. Hence the delay in answering. I will try my best although I am one of the least knowledgeable on this topic.

Christian Laettner was the NPOY in 1992 coming off 1991 and 1992 NC for Duke. He was named to the dream team and coach Chuck Daly did not bitch about this. He went on to win the gold medal after 3-4 months.

After a seven day trial at Colorado Springs, Rebecca Lobo was among the 11 players selected for the National Team on May 25, 1995. The following day they departed for a series of scrimmages in Europe, then recessed for the summer. Searching the web I sometimes get a 11 player roster and sometimes a 14 player roster.
They reassembled in Colorado springs for a 3 week camp starting on October 2, 1995. Lobo had the good sense to turn up for the camp out of shape, four years of UConn coaching notwithstanding. She was the youngest player on the team, relatively unskilled, the least experienced and perhaps the slowest. Tara was no Chuck Daly and opened her mouth. Geno once famously described Maria Conlon as a player who is not only slow but short as well. Vanderveer was no rival to Geno's humor. She would win the olympic gold 10 months later.

Hartford Courant

Mechelle Voepel on this topic

NY Daily News
Geez - all this is making me start to dislike Tara all over again...

"This is what's troubling: Never did VanDerveer pull Lobo aside for a heart- to-heart chat. Never did she call Auriemma for input. She almost seemed to blame Lobo for all the attention and wasn't hesitant to point out her conditioning shortcomings. At one point, in USA Today, VanDerveer appeared to be jockeying for the Olympic committee to cut Lobo and Nikki McCray in favor of internationally tested muscle.

Last autumn, VanDerveer forced Lobo to break 16 minutes in the 2-mile run before she allowed her to leave for a five- day break. It took Lobo five attempts. VanDerveer never mentioned Lobo had undergone knee surgery in the off- season.

``The part I don't understand is why Rebecca was made to feel like she needed to fight to be on the team, yet I never read that about anybody else except once or twice on Nikki McCray,'' Auriemma said. ``What had she done wrong to publicly say her spot's not secure? Who's out there better? There wasn't somebody.''

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Geez - all this is making me start to dislike Tara all over again...

"This is what's troubling: Never did VanDerveer pull Lobo aside for a heart- to-heart chat. Never did she call Auriemma for input. She almost seemed to blame Lobo for all the attention and wasn't hesitant to point out her conditioning shortcomings. At one point, in USA Today, VanDerveer appeared to be jockeying for the Olympic committee to cut Lobo and Nikki McCray in favor of internationally tested muscle.

Last autumn, VanDerveer forced Lobo to break 16 minutes in the 2-mile run before she allowed her to leave for a five- day break. It took Lobo five attempts. VanDerveer never mentioned Lobo had undergone knee surgery in the off- season.

``The part I don't understand is why Rebecca was made to feel like she needed to fight to be on the team, yet I never read that about anybody else except once or twice on Nikki McCray,'' Auriemma said. ``What had she done wrong to publicly say her spot's not secure? Who's out there better? There wasn't somebody.''
No particular reason I can see to hate her - she was relatively recent NC coach, didn't want inexperienced players (as noted, she apparently wasn't all that fond of McCray either) and thought she would get her way. A lot of coaches in her position might indeed get their way (I suspect Van and Geno almost certainly got there way, I suspect Coach K on the men's side likewise), but she didn't. She gave up a lot to coach the team (a year from Stanford), I don't think the gold medal was as "assured" as we think it is now, and all in all, especially given the publicity surrounding Lobo, she just didn't want to deal with it.

It doesn't make her a horrible person, I'm sure we could find additional similar cases involving a variety of coaches in a variety of sports. In some cases, it can come back to bite you, either because you lose and they blame you for not taking advantage of so-and-so or you end up needing so-and-so and they prove you wrong. In the end, this was a no harm, no foul situation.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
She has also coached NCAA WBB for several more years than Geno has.
We are looking at a mix of excellence and longevity. Pete Rose, usually leading off and playing a longer annual season than Ty Cobb and playing until age 45, had 2619 more at-bats than Cobb to accumulate his 65 extra hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom