Coach K | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Coach K

Reaction Score
Simmons is not even the most talented player on his team, BTW. So if that is you comp player wise...

The comp is not if he's a super star. Nobody knows that answer. People are debating your stupid statement:

"Zion is a freak athlete but is not a good BASKETBALL player."

Which, by definition most people would agree that winning a ROY award would help prove wrong.

Reaction Score
Standard problem with a bunch of stars on one team. Only one ball. Especially so if you are a ball dominant player.

Who do you want with the ball? Zion, Barrett, or Reddish? I'll take the first two any day. And not because Reddish is lacking.
I get it, Zion was dominant, feed him the ball. I think Cam could’ve played Barrett’s position just as well as Barrett if Coach K had let Cam play that position from the start.
In the NBA I think we’re going to see what Reddish’s game actually is, and I think he’s going to be a stud. The tools are all there, offensively and defensively. He’s just gotta maintain a consistent motor.

Reaction Score
True, and NBA analysts say if he doesn't learn how to shoot he won't be able to take that next step.

The same analysts who predicted the Lakers would go to the West Finals? The same analysts who said Pacers were dead without Oladipo? The same analysts who said this is the best Celtics team of all time? The same analysts who said the Clippers would be a lottery team?

Reaction Score
Zion is going to be a good NBA player. If he was playing in a different era (say in Barkley's time), I would say he'd be a hall of famer. I think he'll still be an all star and if he wounds up on the right team (for some players this can be a huge affect), he could still be a hall of famer. That being said, he's easily one of the 5 best college basketball player I've ever seen.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
So you're argument, one that literally no one is debating with you, is that if he isn't putting number just like LeBron's he "isn't a good basketball player"?

Again, people are disagreeing with you because you say Zion isn't a good basketball player. You told everyone to come and tell you that you are wrong at the end of the season.

And your standard for being wrong--for admitting that Zion is a good basketball player--is him matching the stats of one of the 2 or 3 best players ever?

Do you get how insane and unreasonable that is? It's not worth debating you at all, because your standards for admitting defeat are completely out of line with the facts of the statement everyone is taking you to task for making. Literally only two or three players ever meet your standards of a good player.

Also my argument is that he does not have good basketball skills. Once he proves he can hit a jump shot and drive to the hoop without getting blocked / turning it over multiple times per game (which he did each of the past 3 games) then I will admit I am wrong. Great athlete, not a great basketball player at this time. Yes. That is possible. Let's see how he fares when the is facing team of all NBA talent.

If he even matches the rookie season Doncic had this year I'll gladly come back and say I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
You're posting too fast to pick a ridiculous post to respond to. He won't bully people? The only NBA player RIGHT NOW who weighs more than Zion is Boban, who is a literal giant. Think about that.

Ben Simmons won ROY and still doesn't shoot the ball outside of 6 feet. This whole thread is an abomination.
Yes but who sucks more at what they do, K or Zion?

Reaction Score
Also my argument is that he does not have good basketball skills. Once he proves he can hit a jump shot and drive to the hoop without getting blocked / turning it over multiple times per game (which he did each of the past 3 games) then I will admit I am wrong. Great athlete, not a great basketball player at this time. Yes. That is possible. Let's see how he fares when the is facing team of all NBA talent.

If he even matches the rookie season Doncic had this year I'll gladly come back and say I'm wrong.
Zion arguably the best athlete on the planet- check, great passer-check, great finisher-check, great motor-check, great defender- check. Zion a horrible basketball player- check.

If he even matches Doncic? Luka is having a better rookie year than Lebron had.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
we lost to George Friggin Mason with 6 players that went to the NBA
Damn you, Jaker!!! This thread had absolutely nothing to do with George freaking Mason.

Now I'm really pissed all over agin!!

Reaction Score
I think Calhoun should have gotten more out of Drummond that year.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Here's a question: How many one and dones have played for championship teams?
I'm no walking encyclopedia but 'melo came to mind right away.

Reaction Score
Some interesting takes in this thread.
I think people are answering different questions. Like the three blind guys feeling the elephant's trunk, body, and tail.
Is Coach K a great coach? I'm more sure that the answer to that is "yes" than most answers I'll give this week. Guy has won the most, won the most championships in the modern era, has run a clean program, as near as can be told, perennially brings in high character talent, routinely has kids do well academically, and leads a non-salacious life off the court.
That's a great coach. In fact, a tremendous coach.
That answers one question.
Some people appear to be answering a different question - how good of a coach is Coach K from buzzer to buzzer?
I think the answer to that question is plainly - open for vigorous debate. Fact is, he's got the recruitment and motivation nailed. Development used to be top notch.
Something happened on the way to the HOF, however.
Problem with 1andD is that you can't, necessarily, develop like you would at UConn or WV.
Somebody on the Duke board asked tonight, "why did coach K let Zion shoot ANY threes? The guy was unstoppable inside, and ridiculously efficient."
Well the answer to that question answers both. If Zion did not shoot a 3 during the few months he was at Duke, that would potentially have hurt his draft stock. The NBA is drive or gun. That's it. He's got the drive down. But a drive with no gun is not going to be nearly as dominant. So, of course, Zion had the green light to shoot the 3, when open. Even at his fairly low percent, and even with many other better options, including him inside.
K can't bring a guy like Zion in and then NOT showcase his NBA skills. It's that simple.
And everybody else on the team took a back seat to that, at their expense, and it got them to E8. And it got Coach K the next Zion, or, some lesser version of him, because that next guy will come to Durham and know that he can showcase his NBA game.
A large % of guys on the Duke board believe that K has given up, substantially, on bringing in guys to develop, and has, instead, sacrificed that for the 1andD model.

I suppose it's a great problem to have, but, nonetheless, I'm glad we don't have it.

Reaction Score
In the last 35 years, Dook has been worse than a 4 seen only twice. Yet they have not made it out of the second round SEVEN times. They have also been a number one seed 14 times. 7 times they made the Final Four, 7 times they did not. Again, they lost to teams like Lehigh and Mercer. Our worst loss was to San Diego because our point guard and best player went down in the first half. I’m not saying he can’t coach and I’m not saying he’s a bad coach. But he is definitely overrated in my opinion. That team/program gets every advantage, yet way more often than not, they lose to lower seeded teams.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When you lose more games that you are favored to win than anyone else, that says more about your coaching ability than anything else. Of course he's won a lot.....that's exactly my point, he's supposed to given all his advantages. But he's also lost way more than anyone else in games he's supposed to win. How do you not see that?

Not a good coach, eh? Well, K did draw up this doozy of an inbounds play. I'm sure you remember it.

Reaction Score
This thread is looney tunes. I revel in Duke's misery as much as the next guy but some of this stuff is crazy town. Even with all his advantages, K's overall resume is too accomplished to dump on. Somewhat annoying yes. Vastly overrated...not in my opinion. The Zion stuff is just insane. Of course he's a good basketball player. How is this even a debate?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That's like saying someone who was in four Olympics, but never won a medal, is worse than someone who was only in one, without medaling.

In the last 35 years, Dook has been worse than a 4 seen only twice. Yet they have not made it out of the second round SEVEN times. They have also been a number one seed 14 times. 7 times they made the Final Four, 7 times they did not. Again, they lost to teams like Lehigh and Mercer. Our worst loss was to San Diego because our point guard and best player went down in the first half. I’m not saying he can’t coach and I’m not saying he’s a bad coach. But he is definitely overrated in my opinion. That team/program gets every advantage, yet way more often than not, they lose to lower seeded teams.

Reaction Score
He rebuilt Duke and turned into one of the behemoths of college basketball today.
He is a great coach but he does have flaws. He can recruit with the best of them. He's pretty darn good at preparing a team for a game, but he can be outcoached. Calhoun exposed this with the '99 team. He can be slow to make adjustments in game.
Just speculation, but watching them over the years, there are times when he seems to rely on the Duke roster and Duke brand to get other teams to quit.
I remember people were ready to run him off when they went through a down period of a few years and he brought them back again.
I just think it just shows really how hard it is to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom