Coach K | The Boneyard

Coach K

Reaction Score
I think it's about time that people start exposing Cosch K for what he is......which is an average coach at best. He has the recruiting advantage of an entire network behind him, without question gets the benefit of the referees on a game in and game out basis........and yet, without checking, he HAS to hold the record for most losses to lower seeds in the history of the NCAA tournament. Including losses to such powerhouse programs as Lehigh and Mercer. It is quite amazing how little he does with so much. If I'm coaching that team, Zion never takes a three the entire year. He is literally unstoppable inside. Why would you ever let him wander around 22 feet from the hoop. They 100% should have lost to a UCF team in the 2nd round that even WE beat this year. Let that settle in for a minute.

Great weekend w UNCheat, KY and Dook all going down!! Restores my hope in college hoops!!!

Reaction Score
I mean, really? They had been to a few Final Fours before he got there, but the advantages Duke has, K has made.

I don't like the man either, but "doing less with more"?

He's won more games than anyone ever.
He's won 5 titles, which is more than anyone but Wooden.
He's been to 12 Final Fours, which is tied with Wooden for most all time.

I mean, he's much better than an average coach.

Fans here get absolutely deranged when it comes to talking about Duke and Kentucky. It's crazy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it just shows, loading up on a team of one and done is not really a recipe for success

Reaction Score
I agree with @uconngb. Coach K is a fraud. 3 of the top 5 players in the draft, perhaps 4 1st round picks and nothing to show for it.

Reaction Score
I mean, really? They had been to a few Final Fours before he got there, but the advantages Duke has, K has made.

I don't like the man either, but "doing less with more"?

He's won more games then anyone ever.
He's won 5 titles, which is more than anyone but Wooden.
He's been to 12 Final Fours, which is tied with Wooden for most all time.

I mean, he's much better than an average coach.

Fans here get absolutely deranged when it comes to talking about Duke and Kentucky. It's crazy.
When you lose more games that you are favored to win than anyone else, that says more about your coaching ability than anything else. Of course he's won a lot.....that's exactly my point, he's supposed to given all his advantages. But he's also lost way more than anyone else in games he's supposed to win. How do you not see that?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
When you lose more games that you are favored to win than anyone else, that says more about your coaching ability than anything else. Of course he's won a lot.....that's exactly my point, he's supposed to given all his advantages. But he's also lost way more than anyone else in games he's supposed to win. How do you not see that?

They're favored to win all but a small number of games each year.

K is a great coach. There is no rational argument to the contrary.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Remember 20 years ago? Midway during the first period. Calhoun puts in Antrim Klaiber for several minutes. Tells K, we can beat you with our second string. K is a great recruiter helped enormously by the name DUKE and Dookie V. Calhoun was really a better recruiter and head and shoulders a better bench coach. We still have more NC in the last 30 years than K does.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Sorry - 20 years

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Zion is overrated as a BASKETBALL player. Unbelievable athlete, probably one of the best pure athletes in the world. Guy is s tank, soft hands and can jump through the roof.

Lacks basketball skills. Haven't really watched him until this tournament and it seemed like he got blocked about half the time he went to the hoop, shoots the 3 ball at a subpar rate. Had a lot of turnovers. Disappears on the defensive end if a highlight reel block isn't in play. Once he gets into the NBA where every player he faces is 6'6" or taller, he is going to struggle hard.

Reaction Score
Zion is overrated as a BASKETBALL player. Unbelievable athlete, probably one of the best pure athletes in the world. Guy is s tank, soft hands and can jump through the roof.

Lacks basketball skills. Haven't really watched him until this tournament and it seemed like he got blocked about half the time he went to the hoop, shoots the 3 ball at a subpar rate. Had a lot of turnovers. Disappears on the defensive end if a highlight reel block isn't in play. Once he gets into the NBA where every player he faces is 6'6" or taller, he is going to struggle hard.
Zion had 24 points on 10-19 shooting. He had 14 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 blocks.

He's still 18.

Reaction Score
hot-takes-hot-takes-we-got-hot-takes-here-see-nobody-cares.jpg

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Zion had 24 points on 10-19 shooting. He had 14 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 blocks.

He's still 18.

Yeah and when LeBron was a rookie at 19 in the NBA he averaged 20.9 points, 5.5 rebounds, 5.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game. Thats against NBA talent. Zion can hardly do that against college competition. Is Zion a great athlete? Absolutely. Is he a great basketball player? Lmao no.

The media hyped this guy as a generational basketball player. Generational basketball players don't get blocked multiple times and have 5 turnovers in the game their team loses 2 "rounds" short of the finals.

Reaction Score
In his time at Duke (1980-81):

He has:

over 1000 wins
5 titles
12 Final Fours
16 E8s (12-4 in the E8!!!)
25 S16
12 Regular Season titles
15 Conference Tournament Titles

The only program that's on par with what he alone has done is UNC over that period. And they started as the destination school in the state with a HOF coach and a prior coach that had won titles. It gave UNC a head start of over 6 years (where they collected a title another Final Fours).

And when K went there, his program was #3 in North Carolina.

I'm not going to count wins, but

UNC

5 titles
13 Final Fours
20 E8s
27 S16
18 regular season conference titles
10 Conference Tournament titles

Kentucky

3 titles
9 Final Fours
19 E8s
24 S16
17 regular season conference titles
19 Conference Tournament titles

Kansas

2 titles
9 Final Fours
15 E8s
23 S16
24 regular season conference titles
15 Conference Tournament titles

He puts Kentucky and Kansas to shame. Put up by comparison.

UConn

4 titles
5 Final Fours
10 E8s
14 S16
10 regular season conference titles
8 Conference Tournament titles

His record is unbelievable. Single game elimination means teams are going to lose flukey games. But the best programs in the country couldn't win more titles than him in his time. So, that's gotta tell you something, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah and when LeBron was a rookie at 19 in the NBA he averaged 20.9 points, 5.5 rebounds, 5.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game. Thats against NBA talent. Zion can hardly do that against college competition. Is Zion a great athlete? Absolutely. Is he a great basketball player? Lmao no.

The media hyped this guy as a generational basketball player. Generational basketball players don't get blocked multiple times and have 5 turnovers in the game their team loses 2 "rounds" short of the finals.
Let's see what he does as a 19 year old against the pros, first, maybe? Since he's neither 19 nor playing against pros.

Also, I mean, why is it that he's either LeBron or he's not "a great basketball player"? You get that that's crazy, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom