Coach K | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Coach K

Reaction Score
Yeah, but that was a very different league, more akin to LeBron's first few years than to anything we've seen in the last 10.

Sure it was a different league...but not talking about number of 3 pointers shot...but % made...accuracy is accuracy...

You think that the league really changed overnight between Jordan's 4th and 6th year?

Reaction Score
I don't think he should. He's not fat in the least and that size is what makes him so insanely unique. He's not that tall and his wingspan isn't too long. Being bigger and more athletic than everyone is a big part of what makes him such a freak.
Zion already shows a good handle and since he is not a center I see him becoming an outside threat to go with his inside stuff. A little lighter and quicker but still an ox for strength, but also helps over the long NBA season to carry a bit less weight on his frame. LeBron 2.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, who are you taking ahead of him? Because this kid seems like the biggest no brainer since at least Anthony Davis.

That's a really good question. I think whoever has the #1 pick will feel immense pressure to select him. Were I a GM I'm sure I'd feel it too. Gun to my head, I'd take Barrett.

Reaction Score
MJ was the #3 pick in 1984...Akeem Olajuwon #1 and Sam Bowie was #2....Charles Barkley #5...and John Stockton #16.

The Blazers chose Sam Bowie over M Jordan because they needed a center.

But Akeem, MJ, and Barkley...what a crew to pick from.

Reaction Score
That's a really good question. I think whoever has the #1 pick will feel immense pressure to select him. Were I a GM I'm sure I'd feel it too. Gun to my head, I'd take Barrett.
Do you mean you'd pick Barrett's career aka like his long-term upside over Zion's?
Or do you mean in a hypothetical world where you are a GM you'd actually take Barrett? Cuz obviously in the latter situation you have to TRADE the #1 pick b/c you'll get something for it ala Danny Ainge and then pick Barrett 2nd, 3rd or whatever. That takes double the balls as you'll forever be measured by what two guys do.

That kind of decision requires in-depth interviews - we can only guess on that as fans, again thinking to Ainge he must have seen things in the interview/time with Fultz that exposed the psychological risks.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Do you mean you'd pick Barrett's career aka like his long-term upside over Zion's?
Or do you mean in a hypothetical world where you are a GM you'd actually take Barrett? Cuz obviously in the latter situation you have to TRADE the #1 pick b/c you'll get something for it ala Danny Ainge and then pick Barrett 2nd, 3rd or whatever. That takes double the balls as you'll forever be measured by what two guys do.

That kind of decision requires in-depth interviews - we can only guess on that as fans, again thinking to Ainge he must have seen things in the interview/time with Fultz that exposed the psychological risks.

Here's my view of the college player entering the NBA: some players have a ton of talent but they rely on that talent too much and never put in the work needed to play at a high level in the NBA. Other kids have less talent but they put the work in and became great. Obviously, no one can read that in a kid.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced that Zion is going to be the next great superstar to enter the NBA.

But you are convinced that Barrett has a better chance of being that?

I mean, I get why Barrett was #1 overall coming into the season. He played for a loaded high school squad and Zion went to a small private school. But what did Barrett show you this season (compared to Zion) that would possibly justify taking him first?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
But you are convinced that Barrett has a better chance of being that?

I mean, I get why Barrett was #1 overall coming into the season. He played for a loaded high school squad and Zion went to a small private school. But what did Barrett show you this season (compared to Zion) that would possibly justify taking him first?

I don't either one does. I do think Barrett will be a better perimeter player than Zion though. Right now, Zion's best chance to carve out a spot is down low and the NBA is a perimeter focused game. If this was 20 years ago, Zion could be a better Barkley (and that's saying something) but this isn't that NBA anymore. I'll take a perimeter guy over an inside in today's NBA.

So you think Zion is going to be a superstar?

Reaction Score
I think Zion will end up being al all-star. That said, when his skills begin to decline, it will be quick fall. His speed and explosiveness in that size is what makes him a special prospect. When he loses a step he'll become average pretty quickly.
Still, you would be nuts not to take him at the top. He's had one year in college and should develop nicely. Shooting almost always improves for players because of the sheer volume they put up between games and practice.
Tying this back to the topic, again, Coach K is a great coach, but there are questions about his development of players and he can be outcoached in game. I remember after the '99 championship one his former player said he was badly outcoached by Calhoun in that game.

Reaction Score
I don't either one does. I do think Barrett will be a better perimeter player than Zion though. Right now, Zion's best chance to carve out a spot is down low and the NBA is a perimeter focused game. If this was 20 years ago, Zion could be a better Barkley (and that's saying something) but this isn't that NBA anymore. I'll take a perimeter guy over an inside in today's NBA.

Following superstars are not perimeter focused: Giannis, Joel Embid, Draymond, LeBron, Kawhi, Davis, Towns, Aldridge. The game has changed but high percentage 2's are as good as 3's. Celtics have had a crap year because too many of their forwards overemphasize shooting from deep vs getting to the rim.

Reaction Score

Yes, barring injury of course. And the idea that he's going to play exclusively on the block is completely out of step with today's NBA. This is not Corliss Williamson we're talking about here. This kid is going to be a playmaker.

Reaction Score

I'm confused by all the Barrett hype, if there is anyone who gets by on size in college it's him. He's really good at driving left, outside of that I don't see what translates well to the NBA. Not the greatest sample size but he certainly didn't show he had the clutch gene, it's insane K always went to him at the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom