2022 Recruiting: - Clingan Top 8 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Clingan Top 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
with no official visits taken yet, doubtful they know more than which way the "warm" wind is blowing, and you dont need a weatherman to tell you that

1619702825310.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It takes a different kind of awareness than sheer hustle and working through screeens. It requires awareness of passing lanes, player movements and anticipation. It actually requires a higher BB IQ . Done well, it can turn the ball over very effectively.

Indeed. There is a reason Syracuse wanted Andre Jackson. And a reason we played so much zone back in 1989-90 with guys who were great at that. But I don't remember any Calhoun teams that couldn't switch in and out of man and zone as needed during games. It's a tool that ought to be in our toolbox.

In all those years we lead the nation in shot blocking, I don't recall Calhoun sending his bigs out to hard hedge. I'm sure Hurley will figure it out, but too often last year we got burned in the paint because we didn't have a rim protector.

Reaction Score
Indeed. There is a reason Syracuse wanted Andre Jackson. And a reason we played so much zone back in 1989-90 with guys who were great at that. But I don't remember any Calhoun teams that couldn't switch in and out of man and zone as needed during games. It's a tool that ought to be in our toolbox.

In all those years we lead the nation in shot blocking, I don't recall Calhoun sending his bigs out to hard hedge. I'm sure Hurley will figure it out, but too often last year we got burned in the paint because we didn't have a rim protector.
In our best shot blocking years, the defense actually funneled guards by them into shotblockers. It worked so well. Marcus Williams loved this, especially since he couldn't keep guys in front of him. This was also an era where guys can't shoot like they do now and there was maybe 2 guys on a team that were a big threat from deep. Now many teams have 5 players on the court at the same time who are a shooting threat.

I agree that zone should be used in certain situations and needs to be in the toolbox.

Reaction Score

I would say that with so many shooters in the game compared to them, the hard hedge makes more sense than it did in the 90s and early 2000s. That being said, having the ability go to a drop coverage, a zone, whatever when our base defense isn't working is what the great coaches do. In mid-major ball, you can be bigger, stronger, and more aggressive to win a lot of games. Having multiple looks is 100% needed in the big leagues. Looked like Hurley got that last year when we started protecting Sanogo's fouls late. I would not be surprised to see us add more defenses this year.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In our best shot blocking years, the defense actually funneled guards by them into shotblockers. It worked so well. Marcus Williams loved this, especially since he couldn't keep guys in front of him. This was also an era where guys can't shoot like they do now and there was maybe 2 guys on a team that were a big threat from deep. Now many teams have 5 players on the court at the same time who are a shooting threat.

I agree that zone should be used in certain situations and needs to be in the toolbox.

I get that the game has changed, but I think Hurley focuses too much on defending mediocre outside shooter, and sacrifices interior defense. If you've got 5 shooters, 2 of them are probably not guys you need to focus on outside (on our team, think Whaley, Akok). Let them take those shots. These aren't NBA shooters. Because what I saw all year was that the open 3s against us came because a wing defender was having to rotate back outside from covering the paint and was late. So sending the 5 out hurt our 3 point shot defense.

I also think it's harder to take the 3 point shot away. Guys make them whether defended or not. But the paint? You have a long roster like ours and you can make the paint very, very inhospitable.

Reaction Score
I get that the game has changed, but I think Hurley focuses too much on defending mediocre outside shooter, and sacrifices interior defense. If you've got 5 shooters, 2 of them are probably not guys you need to focus on outside (on our team, think Whaley, Akok). Let them take those shots. These aren't NBA shooters. Because what I saw all year was that the open 3s against us came because a wing defender was having to rotate back outside from covering the paint and was late. So sending the 5 out hurt our 3 point shot defense.

I also think it's harder to take the 3 point shot away. Guys make them whether defended or not. But the paint? You have a long roster like ours and you can make the paint very, very inhospitable.

Point well made and I will add the Gillespie debacle. No way you continue to allow him to take any of your defenders one on one all game eventually you double down and make people make jump shots period. Hope there was learning lesson last year in the one game!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Some other stuff I haven't seen mentioned
Steve Pikiel is from Bristol, Juwan Howard and Patrick Ewing were NBA Big men.
Nate Laszweski on Notre Dame went to Avon HS for a year - no idea if they have any connection
Columbus and Providence have done well in the Underrated Cities thread.

Syracuse is making an all-out effort to steal a local, like Geno did with Breanna. Pascal Chukwu didn't count. Clingan wanted a second ACC school for balance, but not too ACC.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is more in this than most casual fans realize. Where is their head coach from?

Reaction Score
We hard hedge, so bigs needs to be super mobile sliding on the perimeter. That's why Whaley (with the body of a PF) is so effective defending at the 5 for us in the hedge... lack of size is also why he struggles against traditional bigs. It's also why Sanogo (and presumably Clingan would also) really struggled with it.

Because we hard hedge so much, it's actually our 4s and 3s that should be elite shot-blockers. Because of the double team up top, they end up helping a lot. Akok racked up a TON of blocks in the help that way, and I think we're probably hoping Johnson can do the same. Sid Wilson did a decent job in his minutes there too.
So you get a 7’1-2” rim protector, and you expect him to guard at 30’. Sounds like he’ll be at Michigan for sure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the end Clingan will have to decide whether playing close to home and having his dad at every game is important to him. He’s got a great option in UConn if that’s what he’s looking for. From everything that I’ve heard he’s a good kid. I hope he makes a choice that works for him.

Reaction Score
I just watched a video recap from Pittsburgh Jam Fest that mentioned a “glue guy” Spartans teammate of Clingan’s .... Timmy O’Toole. Anybody know if he is the son of classic glue guy Tim O’Toole from Fairfield U? Brought back a flood of memories of Buonaguro’s crew of Gromos, Wynder, TO’T, Golden and Bradford.

Reaction Score
I just watched a video recap from Pittsburgh Jam Fest that mentioned a “glue guy” Spartans teammate of Clingan’s .... Timmy O’Toole. Anybody know if he is the son of classic glue guy Tim O’Toole from Fairfield U? Brought back a flood of memories of Buonaguro’s crew of Gromos, Wynder, TO’T, Golden and Bradford.
No it's not

Reaction Score

You’re right. In a short 40 minute game you can get beat by a hot shooting team at any time even if you are levels above them in talent. that reality is hard to swallow for a coach especially when every conference game is so important and tournament games are so single elimination. Maybe that’s what drives Hurley’s mentality on taking away 3’s.

guys drive specifically to look to kick out to shooters now whereas it was comical to see guards try to challenge someone like Thabeet at the rim years ago.

Reaction Score
When did they do that? After he was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame? David Onuorah wore 34 in 2017-2018 which was just before Ray was inducted into the Hall in September 2018.
I still can’t believe that dude actually started a game wearing a UCONN uniform, ahhh the bad memories of back then just came back

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I love how ppl are certain Michigan is the leader because he might’ve had a Michigan poster on his wall when he was 10. For all we know one of those other schools is the biggest competition. Fit, relationship with coaches and players, perception of ability to get him to the next level, etc, are all going to carry way more weight than his “favorite team growing up”.

Michigan obviously has a lot going for it in terms of actual valuable characteristics, but ppl are basing their opinions on something which will have next to no impact on his decision.
My son had a UConn poster on his wall at age 10 but went to Michigan after saying he wanted a warmer climate but turned down UVA. Of course he was not being recruited for sports but tried to walk on the UM baseball team (he played in the Nutmeg games so he was pretty good but not a star). I can only imagine the push and pull on teenagers who are being recruited for sports.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Hopefully she’s not considering entering the transfer portal.
wouldn't even have to sit out a year. Could get meaningful minutes immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69