2022 Recruiting: - Clingan Top 8 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Clingan Top 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope DH is using the Calhoun method: offer two guys that he feels can do the job and take the first one who commits. Travis Best and Kevin Ollie are the two guards I recall as one example and KO committed first.

It'd be a great story for a movie to have the local kid stay home and lead the team to multiple championships, but we won championships with two lightly recruited guys, Jake Voskuhl and Amidah Brimah, at center.

And then there's Emeka Okafor who few, if any, had heard much about.
Committed late and Bob Gibbons, the recruiting guru of the time, had him rated as the 106th best player in the country but on the upswing. Here's the Courant article on him (but I think they got his SAT score wrong):
"Huge.
That's what Emeka Okafor's oral commitment is for the Huskies.
The 6-foot-9 center/forward from Bellaire (Texas) High made it official Thursday night. But he made the promise to UConn coach Jim Calhoun on Wednesday that he would play his college basketball in a UConn uniform.
He just wanted to sleep on it one more night. When he woke Thursday, he was certain.
`I pretty much knew I wanted to go there for a while,'' said Okafor, who chose the Huskies over Arkansas and Vanderbilt. `I just wanted to think things through.''

The things Okafor thought through were jotted down on a sheet of paper: availability of playing time, tradition and academics.
Whenever Okafor looked at that sheet, all the check marks were placed next to UConn.

``It's the place where I think I'll have the most success academically and athletically,'' said Okafor, who through honors courses has a 4.3 grade point average on a scale of 4.0.
He said there is no chance he will change his mind and that he intends to fax his letter of intent to UConn today.
Until then, the coaching staff can't comment on Okafor, but there is no question landing him was huge for the Huskies.

First and foremost, they needed a player like him, a sinewy, athletic post player who can run the floor, jump, block shots and play defense. And after a fall recruiting season that netted just one player -- a pretty good one though in Mount Vernon guard Ben Gordon -- the Huskies now have two recruits rated in the top 100 and are in good shape to land another player or two before the spring signing period ends next month.

With Okafor joining Johnnie Selvie and 7-foot center Justin Brown, the Huskies should be solid inside.

`Connecticut is getting a significant addition to its program with Emeka,'' said Bob Gibbons, the national high school recruiting expert. `He was the best available center or big man available this spring, which is why he's been considered one of the top unsigned players in the nation. He had a lot of schools coming after him that wanted him back in the fall. But he decided to wait. But I think UConn is a good choice for him.

``He's not like the other fella UConn had there from Texas, Jake Voskuhl, who was a power guy. Emeka is more of the athletic, wiry type who can do a lot of things.''

Okafor, who scored 1,013 on the SAT, said he enjoyed his visit to Storrs this month.

`The visit definitely helped,'' he said. `But I just wanted to wait and make sure I was making the right decision.''

Okafor played exceptionally well at the Nike camp in Indianapolis last summer but said he wasn't ready to commit to a school.

As his senior season went on -- he averaged 22 points, 15 rebounds and almost six blocks -- he continued to grab the attention of schools such as Stanford, North Carolina State, Georgia Tech, Rice and Vanderbilt.

New Texas Tech coach Bob Knight tried to get in the Okafor sweepstakes late. And after Okafor had 26 points and 12 rebounds in being named MVP of the Pittsburgh Hoops Classic last weekend, North Carolina tried to jump in this week.

But Okafor told the Tar Heels it would be a waste of time. In his mind, he was pretty sure he would choose UConn.

`I have Emeka rated as the 106th best player in the nation right now, but his stock has risen so much in the past year, he'll easily be in the top 100,'' Gibbons said. `It doesn't matter what number he'll be. If he's top 100, he's top 100. I'm sure UConn won't care. They are getting a great player no matter where he's rated. That's a nice catch for them.''

Reaction Score
I hope DH is using the Calhoun method: offer two guys that he feels can do the job and take the first one who commits. Travis Best and Kevin Ollie are the two guards I recall as one example and KO committed first.

It'd be a great story for a movie to have the local kid stay home and lead the team to multiple championships, but we won championships with two lightly recruited guys, Jake Voskuhl and Amidah Brimah, at center.

And then there's Emeka Okafor who few, if any, had heard much about.
Committed late and Bob Gibbons, the recruiting guru of the time, had him rated as the 106th best player in the country but on the upswing. Here's the Courant article on him (but I think they got his SAT score wrong):
"Huge.
That's what Emeka Okafor's oral commitment is for the Huskies.
The 6-foot-9 center/forward from Bellaire (Texas) High made it official Thursday night. But he made the promise to UConn coach Jim Calhoun on Wednesday that he would play his college basketball in a UConn uniform.
He just wanted to sleep on it one more night. When he woke Thursday, he was certain.
`I pretty much knew I wanted to go there for a while,'' said Okafor, who chose the Huskies over Arkansas and Vanderbilt. `I just wanted to think things through.''

The things Okafor thought through were jotted down on a sheet of paper: availability of playing time, tradition and academics.
Whenever Okafor looked at that sheet, all the check marks were placed next to UConn.

``It's the place where I think I'll have the most success academically and athletically,'' said Okafor, who through honors courses has a 4.3 grade point average on a scale of 4.0.
He said there is no chance he will change his mind and that he intends to fax his letter of intent to UConn today.
Until then, the coaching staff can't comment on Okafor, but there is no question landing him was huge for the Huskies.

First and foremost, they needed a player like him, a sinewy, athletic post player who can run the floor, jump, block shots and play defense. And after a fall recruiting season that netted just one player -- a pretty good one though in Mount Vernon guard Ben Gordon -- the Huskies now have two recruits rated in the top 100 and are in good shape to land another player or two before the spring signing period ends next month.

With Okafor joining Johnnie Selvie and 7-foot center Justin Brown, the Huskies should be solid inside.

`Connecticut is getting a significant addition to its program with Emeka,'' said Bob Gibbons, the national high school recruiting expert. `He was the best available center or big man available this spring, which is why he's been considered one of the top unsigned players in the nation. He had a lot of schools coming after him that wanted him back in the fall. But he decided to wait. But I think UConn is a good choice for him.

``He's not like the other fella UConn had there from Texas, Jake Voskuhl, who was a power guy. Emeka is more of the athletic, wiry type who can do a lot of things.''

Okafor, who scored 1,013 on the SAT, said he enjoyed his visit to Storrs this month.

`The visit definitely helped,'' he said. `But I just wanted to wait and make sure I was making the right decision.''

Okafor played exceptionally well at the Nike camp in Indianapolis last summer but said he wasn't ready to commit to a school.

As his senior season went on -- he averaged 22 points, 15 rebounds and almost six blocks -- he continued to grab the attention of schools such as Stanford, North Carolina State, Georgia Tech, Rice and Vanderbilt.

New Texas Tech coach Bob Knight tried to get in the Okafor sweepstakes late. And after Okafor had 26 points and 12 rebounds in being named MVP of the Pittsburgh Hoops Classic last weekend, North Carolina tried to jump in this week.

But Okafor told the Tar Heels it would be a waste of time. In his mind, he was pretty sure he would choose UConn.

`I have Emeka rated as the 106th best player in the nation right now, but his stock has risen so much in the past year, he'll easily be in the top 100,'' Gibbons said. `It doesn't matter what number he'll be. If he's top 100, he's top 100. I'm sure UConn won't care. They are getting a great player no matter where he's rated. That's a nice catch for them.''
Bruh. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Hit me with the cliff notes of that dissertation.

Reaction Score
When did they do that? After he was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame? David Onuorah wore 34 in 2017-2018 which was just before Ray was inducted into the Hall in September 2018.

Reaction Score
Also... I think the answer is we need to add different types of PnR coverage. A drop coverage, ice, soft hedge, whatever. Stuff to make it easier on our slower big men.

I expect (and really hope) that Hurley intends to add these layers of complexity as our team matures out of the rebuild. Maybe we only hard hedge When Whaley/Akok/Johnson are involved in the PnR and otherwise use a drop cover. It does seem like that's what we moved to later in the season to keep Sanogo out of foul trouble

Our defense when not in the PnR is nearly flawless imo. We have personnel issues, but in terms of effort, our rotations, and communication our team is really damn good.
There is also some defensive schemes which Hurley simply refuses to use, even when it’s obvious they do. Hint: they start with a Z.

Reaction Score
There is also some defensive schemes which Hurley simply refuses to use, even when it’s obvious they do. Hint: they start with a Z.

I mean it's okay if we don't want to be a team that goes zone. I don't love it, but I get creating that team identity. There are other ways to protect bigs from foul trouble or guys that can't defend someone 1v1

Reaction Score
He "looks" more like a Michigan player (e.g. Mo Wagner) than a UConn player, and Michigan has had more success and a higher profile in the last few years, but who knows.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We hard hedge, so bigs needs to be super mobile sliding on the perimeter. That's why Whaley (with the body of a PF) is so effective defending at the 5 for us in the hedge... lack of size is also why he struggles against traditional bigs. It's also why Sanogo (and presumably Clingan would also) really struggled with it.

Because we hard hedge so much, it's actually our 4s and 3s that should be elite shot-blockers. Because of the double team up top, they end up helping a lot. Akok racked up a TON of blocks in the help that way, and I think we're probably hoping Johnson can do the same. Sid Wilson did a decent job in his minutes there too.

So well stated. It's also a big part of why Polley was a problem on D, because he couldn't do that at all despite his length. He was a better defender back when we weren't hedging and Josh was parked in the paint 2-3 years ago. Akok totally changes our defense for the better. AJax brings shot blocking from the 3 as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Free access article:

I don't remember seeing this article before. Maybe I just missed it.

“I feel like not being able to go look at a school is just holding off my decision,” Clingan said. “I haven’t toured one campus yet. … I feel I want to be committed before the start of my senior high school season and be able to go out and play my senior season not worrying about college and already having made my decision and (have my) head straight with one school.”

I get this. Having done a lot of it for the last year, I can say that virtual visits suck. They don't show you nearly enough and are obviously designed to focus on the good stuff. I think he's doing the right thing. Make the visits when he can, then make his decision. It's not all about basketball, he's going to college. Whether he becomes NBA material or not, I think he expects to be there for 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
Thanks. So 34 is the only one off the board. UConn's criteria for retiring numbers is enshrinement into the Hall of Fame.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Here's what we (at least I) don't know...

Is Donovan Catholic? If so, will that impact his decision to attend a Catholic vs private vs state school?

Does he have strong feelings about a rural vs suburban vs urban setting?

Large vs small? Ohio State at one extreme, PC at the other.

How important is it for his family and friends to be within close proximity? He has opted for his senior year at Bristol Central instead of prep school. Is that foreshadowing?

Just some food for thought.
tasty.
as far as my first uni, and beside it having the program that i wanted, it had to be:
urbanish, large, and my folks informed me that an airplane trip would be frowned upon for round one. round 2 and such?

let's hope mr clingan is prioritizing the program that he really wants, ie, to play for a national champion and the resultant benefit for his goal of getting to the league, cuz in that case, it'll be a no-brainer- UConn by a knockout. what has michigan won in like, ever? plenty of time later in life to go sight-seeing.
the funny thing aboot this vid is that it ends, like in my movie, with an earthquake. that shaking ground and flying chunks of concrete and glass on my head wasn't much in the travel brochures that i read. righty-o, seeyulater bye. im leaving this world someday, but it ain't going down like that. where i come from, giant buildings don't wobble, cars on the interstate don't go flying off into the ocean, and stop and shop is always in the same place as it was yesterday. land of steady habits an all that.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Here's what we (at least I) don't know...

Is Donovan Catholic? If so, will that impact his decision to attend a Catholic vs private vs state school?

Does he have strong feelings about a rural vs suburban vs urban setting?

Large vs small? Ohio State at one extreme, PC at the other.

How important is it for his family and friends to be within close proximity? He has opted for his senior year at Bristol Central instead of prep school. Is that foreshadowing?

Just some food for thought.

the fact that he didn’t go to a prep school when given the chance is my biggest hope that staying home will be important to him.

Reaction Score
Bruh. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Hit me with the cliff notes of that dissertation.
Emeka was not top 100, but was rising, when he committed to UConn in April of his Senior year.

pierogiscri

the food guy
Reaction Score
Im not usually one to look at red herrings, but 247 has UConn as warmer and I feel that they have too much merit to ignore it. Has anyone heard of anything recently?
1619548810834.png

Reaction Score
Some other stuff I haven't seen mentioned
Steve Pikiel is from Bristol, Juwan Howard and Patrick Ewing were NBA Big men.
Nate Laszweski on Notre Dame went to Avon HS for a year - no idea if they have any connection

Reaction Score
Im not usually one to look at red herrings, but 247 has UConn as warmer and I feel that they have too much merit to ignore it. Has anyone heard of anything recently?
with no official visits taken yet, doubtful they know more than which way the "warm" wind is blowing, and you dont need a weatherman to tell you that

Reaction Score
Home court advantage?

Reaction Score
I mean it's okay if we don't want to be a team that goes zone. I don't love it, but I get creating that team identity. There are other ways to protect bigs from foul trouble or guys that can't defend someone 1v1
It is not easy to play zone defense

Reaction Score
It is not easy to play zone defense
It takes a different kind of awareness than sheer hustle and working through screeens. It requires awareness of passing lanes, player movements and anticipation. It actually requires a higher BB IQ . Done well, it can turn the ball over very effectively.

Reaction Score
It takes a different kind of awareness than sheer hustle and working through screeens. It requires awareness of passing lanes, player movements and anticipation. It actually requires a higher BB IQ . Done well, it can turn the ball over very effectively.
That was my point earlier. It's not easy to play zone defense

Reaction Score
That was my point earlier. It's not easy to play zone defense

I still don't understand your point when you replied to me, unless someone I have on ignore has been saying that.

Yeah, zones are hard. That's why teams only usually have 1in their defensive playbook.

It's also still a good way to hide bigs, guys with foul trouble, or guys that can't defend 1v1. Nothing I said was untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom