2022 Recruiting: - Clingan Top 8 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Clingan Top 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't see Providence, Georgetown, or Rutgers landing him. Everyone else has a shot, imo

Reaction Score
don't see a logical reason he'd pick a big10 school other than michigan when he's a michigan fan. gotta be them or UConn

Reaction Score
Michigan may be the leader, but second is probably a good position to be in based on past experience.

Reaction Score
No one saying Michigan is the leader has any clue what they are talking about. Not a single one. Stop making stuff up. This isn't NASCAR, you don't get a hair lead. Kids change their minds by the second. No one knows what Donovan is thinking. DONOVAN probably doesn't know what he's thinking.

UConn positives: The kid didn't even leave his hometown for hs. He's super close to his family. That's a huge benefit for us. We also play through the post quite a bit on offense.

UConn negatives: well, we did Sanogo dirty early this season. He'd also be playing behind Sanogo for a year, presumably. Our defensive scheme doesn't really match his playing style.

No idea with Michigan frankly. I do know that they have prioritized him as a recruit, and that hunter Dickinson had huge success there recently as a giant, kind slow big man (like Donovan would be).

Makes me wonder if it will come down to fit vs proximity to home. Hurley needs to be telling this kid that we will adjust our defensive scheme to match his strengths.

Reaction Score
Howard might not even be there by the time DC walked on campus.

Understand they have a kid who would play ahead of DC.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
No one saying Michigan is the leader has any clue what they are talking about. Not a single one. Stop making stuff up.

UConn positives: The kid didn't even leave his hometown for hs. He's super close to his family. That's a huge benefit for us. We also play through the post quite a bit on offense.

UConn negatives: well, we did Sanogo dirty early this season. He'd also be playing behind Sanogo for a year, presumably. Our defensive scheme doesn't really match his playing style.

No idea with Michigan frankly. I do know that they have prioritized him as a recruit, and that hunter Dickinson had huge success there recently as a giant, kind slow big man (like Donovan would be).

Makes me wonder if it will come down to fit vs proximity to home. Hurley needs to be telling this kid that we will adjust our defensive scheme to match his strengths.
Asking because I’m legitimately curious. What would it entail to change our defensive scheme to match his strengths? Is he not a good shot blocker/quick enough laterally to hard hedge?

Reaction Score
Asking because I’m legitimately curious. What would it entail to change our defensive scheme to match his strengths? Is he not a good shot blocker/quick enough laterally to hard hedge?

We hard hedge, so bigs needs to be super mobile sliding on the perimeter. That's why Whaley (with the body of a PF) is so effective defending at the 5 for us in the hedge... lack of size is also why he struggles against traditional bigs. It's also why Sanogo (and presumably Clingan would also) really struggled with it.

Because we hard hedge so much, it's actually our 4s and 3s that should be elite shot-blockers. Because of the double team up top, they end up helping a lot. Akok racked up a TON of blocks in the help that way, and I think we're probably hoping Johnson can do the same. Sid Wilson did a decent job in his minutes there too.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
No one saying Michigan is the leader has any clue what they are talking about. Not a single one. Stop making stuff up. This isn't NASCAR, you don't get a hair lead. Kids change their minds by the second. No one knows what Donovan is thinking. DONOVAN probably doesn't know what he's thinking.

I love how ppl are certain Michigan is the leader because he might’ve had a Michigan poster on his wall when he was 10. For all we know one of those other schools is the biggest competition. Fit, relationship with coaches and players, perception of ability to get him to the next level, etc, are all going to carry way more weight than his “favorite team growing up”.

Michigan obviously has a lot going for it in terms of actual valuable characteristics, but ppl are basing their opinions on something which will have next to no impact on his decision.

Reaction Score

Also... I think the answer is we need to add different types of PnR coverage. A drop coverage, ice, soft hedge, whatever. Stuff to make it easier on our slower big men.

I expect (and really hope) that Hurley intends to add these layers of complexity as our team matures out of the rebuild. Maybe we only hard hedge When Whaley/Akok/Johnson are involved in the PnR and otherwise use a drop cover. It does seem like that's what we moved to later in the season to keep Sanogo out of foul trouble

Our defense when not in the PnR is nearly flawless imo. We have personnel issues, but in terms of effort, our rotations, and communication our team is really damn good.

Reaction Score
I love how ppl are certain Michigan is the leader because he might’ve had a Michigan poster on his wall when he was 10
no one said that was the extent of the reasoning. Michigan has everything going for it as a program right now on top of the fact that clingan said he was a fan. iirc it was recent not just a childhood thing, but how many times did your favorite childhood teams change? because mine never have. if he'd said he was a UNH fan as a kid no one would ascribe any weight to that re his college choice, it's clearly different

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
no one said that was the extent of the reasoning. Michigan has everything going for it as a program right now on top of the fact that clingan said he was a fan. iirc it was recent not just a childhood thing, but how many times did your favorite childhood teams change, because mine never have. if he'd said he was a UNH fan as a kid no one would ascribe any weight to that re his college choice, it's clearly different
Lol. Ok, got it

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Feel like we can safely cross out Georgetown, providence. Think it’s a two horse race between Michigan and UConn with a hair lead for UConn.

I've heard of using a color and type of hair to explain a very close situation but it wasn't horse hair.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Why would he even be releasing a top 8 if he’s sold on us? I knew I was going to marry my wife early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom