Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You’re right, you can’t turn in to the defender. In this case, I laughed on the replay, because Sid did the exact opposite, saw a guy running full speed directly at him, and he tried to turn AWAY but the defender clipped him.

I don’t know why coaches this year just don’t tell their defenders to blow up that play like that every time. Refs are given a point of emphasis, so go out and get the call every time.

Exactly it might be a stupid interpretation and point of emphasis but it’s the rule and the call was right.

Reaction Score
Chief doesn’t usually make the refs the focus but it’s very hard to win when the AAC refs screw your team every game. Time for Benedict to make a phone call to the league Office. This is total BS.

Does Danny constantly yelling at the refs have them skewing the foul calls?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Kids showed a lot of fight out there. I really liked the attitude and heart throughout the game. There's obviously no moral wins but not all losses are cut from the same cloth.

They still turn the ball over too much (especially in the first half), they still commit too many silly fouls (Carlton overcommitting on switches, Gilbert fouling Cumberland at half court in OT), but I think when you transition coaches, at least early on, you want a new attitude to be set and defined.

Felt they were maybe undermanned in terms of skill, but they took Cincinnati's punches and punched back. Given how Cincinnati has bullied us in recent years, it was a change we needed to see.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So our league opponent are going to the line 50% more than us. Hardly seems fair even factoring in various nuances. Very difficult to win under those circumstances.

The math would be 129-86 = 43
Then 43/86 = 50%
Some of that is due to tempo and aggressive defense, but last night...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We had the dumb AG, Wilson, vital fouls. A missed bunny.

Winning teams don't let that happen. We're not there just yet, and that's okay.

I consider this a win for the direction of the program
This. After a tough stretch of games UConn is fighting. It would have been easy to write this game off and phone it in. This team didn't.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I saw a flop on the slowmo replay. And you usallly let them play with <5sec left unless it’s a horribad foul. But we can agree to disagree.

Do agree that CV should have found a way to get to ball to AG

I’m willing to meet you in the middle here.

It is possible it was part flop. But frankly you have to do it a little just to get a call cause you almost never see offensive fouls (non moving screens) without a guy falling...no matter how factually incorrect that should be, you basically have to fall to get a foul. But vital just flat out shoved him. It wasn’t a smart play either way.

the Q

Reaction Score
This. After a tough stretch of games UConn is fighting. It would have been easy to write this game off and phone it in. This team didn't.

This. Those kids gave it their all last night.

They just lack the ammo and hoops iq of good UConn teams.

But you can see the culture change happening before our eyes.

I can’t rmemeber the last time I was this excited about the team after a loss.

Reaction Score
It was definitely a foul. And a really dumb one too.

The play was not very smart at all but that was not a foul it was a flop. Especially with 2 seconds left I've seen complete muggings not called it was another awful call by a trio of stiffs. Nonetheless it did not decide the game that's on the Huskies they had their chances.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Mostly I'm happy and proud of the fight and the progress. They pushed out big men around at will, we found some ways to work around it. We couldn't penetrate their D, and we adjusted. I've been waiting to see that.
It's a bummer cause we could have won, and probably deserved to win. But this is a year where progress matters more than Ws.

C

Chief00

Fair question and it’s probably a factor. As Chief has posted elsewhere, unlike the Old Big East many of these AAC officials are not from the Northeast. Therefore, Danny’s Jersey Boy act culturally doesn’t go over well. When he was at URI and Wagner the officials were from the northeast.

the Q

Reaction Score
The play was not very smart at all but that was not a foul it was a flop. Especially with 2 seconds left I've seen complete muggings not called it was another awful call by a trio of stiffs. Nonetheless it did not decide the game that's on the Huskies they had their chances.

Again, he just shoved him. Even if he doesn’t fall, it was just a blatant shove and was the correct call.

Reaction Score
Kids showed a lot of fight out there. I really liked the attitude and heart throughout the game. There's obviously no moral wins but not all losses are cut from the same cloth.

They still turn the ball over too much (especially in the first half), they still commit too many silly fouls (Carlton overcommitting on switches, Gilbert fouling Cumberland at half court in OT), but I think when you transition coaches, at least early on, you want a new attitude to be set and defined.

Felt they were maybe undermanned in terms of skill, but they took Cincinnati's punches and punched back. Given how Cincinnati has bullied us in recent years, it was a change we needed to see.
I thought Hurley did a good job making adjustments last night too. It might have been his best coaching performance(with us at least) so far. It looks like he's opening up their playbook a little more.

Reaction Score
You see any of Jalen's "fouls?" Those aren't about the bigs' lack of strength and directly impacted the game in a huge way.

Our guards' fouls can often be tied directly to the bigs as well. Because the bigs are often getting pushed around by stronger players in the paint, it opens driving lanes and forces our guards to try and make plays, aka reach, instead of knowing there is help or rim protection.

Our defense is also extended for the same reason and with such aggressive play there are naturally reaches and blocks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our guards' fouls can often be tied directly to the bigs as well. Because the bigs are often getting pushed around by stronger players in the paint, it opens driving lanes and forces our guards to try and make plays, aka reach, instead of knowing there is help or rim protection.

Our defense is also extended for the same reason and with such aggressive play there are naturally reaches and blocks.
Anyone not happy with refs should watch our games from the 90’s. They were beautiful. Jake, my favorite player ever would not have lasted 5 minutes in today’s games. Please allow the kids to play. I remember when I coached I taught a player when lining up on the lane during a free throw to step on his opponents foot so he could not jump.

the Q

Reaction Score
Anyone not happy with refs should watch our games from the 90’s. They were beautiful. Jake, my favorite player ever would not have lasted 5 minutes in today’s games. Please allow the kids to play. I remember when I coached I taught a player when lining up on the lane during a free throw to step on his opponents foot so he could not jump.

I did that. Especially against bigger players or kids who could out jump me.

pj

Reaction Score

UConn last year: 593 FTA (238th), 629 opponent FTA (184th).
Rhode Island last year: 630 FTA (246th), 728 opponent FTA (292nd).

I'd say it's a combination of team and coach, but Danny's team did especially poorly.

Reaction Score
Ollie was quiet as a church mouse and I don't remember us getting many calls under him. There was a close game we lost in AAC tourny at the XL under Ollie against Cincy which was arguably the most one-sided officiating I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
There were times last night on the defensive end that a Cincy shot went up and off the rim, followed by a fight for the ball under the basket. Fully expecting one of the Cincy musclemen to grab the rebound and put it back up for an easy 2, I was shocked to see Josh fighting for and ending up with the ball! I'm not sure what caused him to be so much more aggressive on the court last night, but if he can replicate that style of play for the rest of the season, he and the team will be so much better.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That offensive foul on Vital at the end was pure unadulterated homer garbage.

Very proud of the team tonight and encouraged for the next game. Gutsy performance
Late coming to this but I agree 100%
There were other dubious calls and missed calls
The offensive foul on Sid was BS - he handed off the ball and turned with no intention of obstructing the path of the trailing defender
The T called on CV was BS - his actions and intent by using his arm to try and dislodge the ball in itself denies any intent to harm the driver. If CV can hit the cro magnum Cumberland and knock him like he portrayed then Cumberland better not flex his arms anymore
JA's 5th was a foul yes - but earlier in the same sequence, Cumberland extended his arm and pushed JA away - a clear offensive foul
Not a blame the ref person but everyone of the 10 guys who were watching the game with me felt UConn was robbed
I thought JA played really well - a couple of brain lapses but everyone had those - he defended really well and took offensively what came to him his stat line is real solid
AG was forcing some stuff early but his play in the second half was awesome
CV needs to get the ball more but was physical under the boards. He needs to stay in the corners more and hit 3's - they need to run plays for him
Carlton finally found himself - I hope he continues - UConn needs it
Polley still is a question mark - weak defensively is being kind
Sid - amazing athletic ability - amazing Needs to become a smarter player but he and AG are certainly going to be forces in the next few years
Smith- has reappeared the last 2 games - he is needed
Cobb - what is up with this guy???????? At this point Whaley needs his minutes
DH - did well with TOs and was a great cheerleader, but please turn off the ref baiting - it's weird that a network keeps a camera on him during play - I was hoping he wouldn't come back to some of that act
Overall - was pleased with effort and drive of the team especially facing a good Cinci team at their home where they have the best home record in the NCAA "since 2016" as we heard 100 times. I hope this is what we will see from here on. Wished for a victory of course but am satisfied with the effort
The refs were horrible - just plain horrible

Reaction Score
What do we need to do to win a conference game? It’s pretty simple. Look at the foul shot attempts:
UConn - 28
USF - 46

UConn - 11
UCF - 29

UConn - 31
SMU - 16

UConn - 16
Cincy - 38

Take the SMU outlier out of the mix and in UConn’s three loses our opponents have a 105% foul shooting advantage 113 -55= 58
58/55 = 105%.
I have said bad teams don’t deserve favorable calls but in 2 of these 3 losses we played hard and competitive. Monday morning needs to be all about a 9am phone call to the league office.

#ChiefBreaksItDown

Calhoun’s less than stellar offensive teams feasted at the line and that same approach won a title for us a few years ago. That will be a tough record to break.

Reaction Score
There were a lot of bad calls, but the Vital offensive foul at the end is so cut and dry I'm surprised there's even an argument. That's an offensive foul 100/100 times when you get the arm extended like that. Same call was made on Cumberland 2 minutes earlier

Reaction Score
This. Those kids gave it their all last night.

They just lack the ammo and hoops iq of good UConn teams.

But you can see the culture change happening before our eyes.

I can’t rmemeber the last time I was this excited about the team after a loss.
If they had one of more ammo, iq, or muscle, they would be top 3 right now in the league. Diarra is leaving a bigger hole than I thought despite yakwe.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I actually think a huge sign for the program will be if they are able to replicate the effort and get a win at Tulsa.

Agreed. Don’t know if it’s about the ‘program’ but for this team how they play at Tulsa is interesting and important.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ollie was quiet as a church mouse and I don't remember us getting many calls under him. There was a close game we lost in AAC tourny at the XL under Ollie against Cincy which was arguably the most one-sided officiating I've ever seen.

That was a 2 hour and 45 minute root canal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom