Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
As someone who is incredibly criitical of our players when they don’t show up Jalen and Carlton played their hearts out.

As well as the team played what struck me most was Jalen putting his arms around his team after he fouled out trying to rally them to the finish line. Between that and Hurley standing up for CV even though it was a bad possession makes me feel like he’s building an us against the world mentalty. Love that

Reaction Score
We had the dumb AG, Wilson, vital fouls. A missed bunny.

Winning teams don't let that happen. We're not there just yet, and that's okay.

I consider this a win for the direction of the program
Can’t agree more. Teams need to learn how to win games. It takes time, after what these guys went through the previous couple of seasons they have lots to learn. Very proud of how they fought last night. We are getting there.

Reaction Score
As someone who is incredibly criitical of our players when they don’t show up Jalen and Carlton played their hearts out.

As well as the team played what struck me most was Jalen putting his arms around his team after he fouled out trying to rally them to the finish line. Between that and Hurley standing up for CV even though it was a bad possession makes me feel like he’s building an us against the world mentalty. Love that
Talking to my brother before the game I mentioned that the next time Josh gets a tough rebound will be his first. Then last night he gets a few against the toughest team in the league, nice job Josh!

Reaction Score
Chief doesn’t usually make the refs the focus but it’s very hard to win when the AAC refs screw your team every game. Time for Benedict to make a phone call to the league Office. This is total BS.

This is very similar to what Rhody fans were saying while he was there - all the time. I don't know if it's the style of play, a dislike for the coach or what. Or, maybe it's just that the AAC AND A10 refs are lousy?

Reaction Score
This was one of my favorite UConn games to see live. It was rough to hear the complaining from Cincinnati fans non-stop but im used to it because it happens with every sport (reds, bengals, bearcats). The biggest complaints from the crowd seemed to be directed at the refs “icing” the free throw shooters a lot by waiting to give them the ball while UConn was away on the other side of the court.
Funny because once we were out of time outs Hurley definitely used foul time as time outs. I even noticed.

Reaction Score
Finally, the boys are playing in good games that are fun to watch. I'm disappointed we lost, but excited for the future. 10-7(1-3), NIT looks like a possibility, NCAA tournament is out. Can't wait for next year since AG is really improving and so is almost everyone else. Another year of development alongside Hurley's new guys will be a very good team.

Reaction Score
as a 10.5 underdog, we played out of our minds.

C

Chief00

Gilbert definitely looked like he got fouled on the tying shot. Ref swallowed his whistle
Quite frankly, if you call the foul on Vital with 4 seconds left, you need to call the foul on Gilbert’s tying layup. I can buy the swallow the whistle on the last possession philipsophy but not when the clueless refs adapt another philosophy for the end of overtime. The officiating was an absolute disgrace to any standard of brains or fairness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
That offensive foul on Vital at the end was pure unadulterated homer garbage.

Very proud of the team tonight and encouraged for the next game. Gutsy performance
Nah he put his arm out to clear some space. He was in no man's land out there.

Reaction Score
If I have seen ASU play i do not remember. Is Bobby that hyper too?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I’m not so sure...but either way, there was one with a lot of contact at the other end a few mins before and no call. And all game Cumberland played like Jerome Bettis at the goal line - head down, out of control, creating contact and ended the game with 1 foul. Officials were awful tonight.
LOL, I wasn't neceassarily thinking Jerome Bettis but on that flagrant one CV had his hand on all ball why trying an arm tackle on ole Jerome Cumberland who bulled his way into the endzone. That also was a disgraceful call

Reaction Score
Nah he put his arm out to clear some space. He was in no man's land out there.
Yea, it was a definite foul, with a sell from the defender. When CV went to save the ball, the defender occupied space and was set, cv turned into him, out his forearm out and the guy fell over, like he should in that case.

It’s a weaker foul, but it’s a foul. Would I call it with 4 ticks left? No. Unless you have consistently called it all game, which they had not. Cumberland used his shoulders against our defenders all game just bulling ppl over, and not one call. The blatant non call on a fast break against sid is case in point. Also led to Jalen fouling out

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This is very similar to what Rhody fans were saying while he was there - all the time. I don't know if it's the style of play, a dislike for the coach or what. Or, maybe it's just that the AAC AND A10 refs are lousy?
How come we got Stephens and Valentine for SMU?

Reaction Score
If this league wants prominence, we need to be good. Why the refs are killing us I can’t understand. It isn’t good for anyone. I’m not asking for favoritism but an equal opportunity would be nice. I don’t say much about it because I think it is sour grapes but I continually feel like the refs are against us.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, if you call the foul on Vital with 4 seconds left, you need to call the foul on Gilbert’s tying layup. I can buy the swallow the whistle on the last possession philipsophy but not when the clueless refs adapt another philosophy for the end of overtime. The officiating was an absolute disgrace to any standard of brains or fairness.
If there ever was a game you could point to where UConn was robbed, last night was it. Some might not agree, which is fine, but that's how I feel. Hopefully there will be a review by the AAC of last night's disparity of calls and non calls that went against UConn. The flagrant 1 against Vital was just one of many that saved Cincinnati's bacon.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain the rationale for such a foul call?
I believe it’s a “point of emphasis” this year that you can’t make contact with a defender on a dribble hand off. It’s kinda like the pick play in football. But Sid never even saw the kid and he ran into his back

Reaction Score
I believe it’s a “point of emphasis” this year that you can’t make contact with a defender on a dribble hand off. It’s kinda like the pick play in football. But Sid never even saw the kid and he ran into his back
It's not that you can't make contact, it's that you can't turn into the defender.

Reaction Score
If this league wants prominence, we need to be good. Why the refs are killing us I can’t understand. It isn’t good for anyone. I’m not asking for favoritism but an equal opportunity would be nice. I don’t say much about it because I think it is sour grapes but I continually feel like the refs are against us.
Cronin is one of the best game coaches in the business, he was well schooled by his father in knowing how and when to intimidate referees.

Reaction Score
If I have seen ASU play i do not remember. Is Bobby that hyper too?

Not quite....there's an 'apple...tree' thing going on for sure, and Bobby is quite animated, but not so much as Dan.

Reaction Score
Yea, it was a definite foul, with a sell from the defender. When CV went to save the ball, the defender occupied space and was set, cv turned into him, out his forearm out and the guy fell over, like he should in that case.

It’s a weaker foul, but it’s a foul. Would I call it with 4 ticks left? No. Unless you have consistently called it all game, which they had not. Cumberland used his shoulders against our defenders all game just bulling ppl over, and not one call. The blatant non call on a fast break against sid is case in point. Also led to Jalen fouling out
Definitely a foul on CV. But be consistent. A little earlier there was a push off by one of the Cinci players in the lane that resulted in a wide open look and make.

C

Chief00

What do we need to do to win a conference game? It’s pretty simple. Look at the foul shot attempts:
UConn - 28
USF - 46

UConn - 11
UCF - 29

UConn - 31
SMU - 16

UConn - 16
Cincy - 38

Take the SMU outlier out of the mix and in UConn’s three loses our opponents have a 105% foul shooting advantage 113 -55= 58
58/55 = 105%.
I have said bad teams don’t deserve favorable calls but in 2 of these 3 losses we played hard and competitive. Monday morning needs to be all about a 9am phone call to the league office.

#ChiefBreaksItDown

Reaction Score
It's not that you can't make contact, it's that you can't turn into the defender.
You’re right, you can’t turn in to the defender. In this case, I laughed on the replay, because Sid did the exact opposite, saw a guy running full speed directly at him, and he tried to turn AWAY but the defender clipped him.

I don’t know why coaches this year just don’t tell their defenders to blow up that play like that every time. Refs are given a point of emphasis, so go out and get the call every time.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I thought it was Carlton's best game as a UConn player. This game was important for his development. Also thought the refs should have T'd up Cronin at least once.

The little leprechaun should have gotten a T just for wearing that ridiculous Johnny Cash wardrobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom