Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was definitely a foul. And a really dumb one too.
I’m not so sure...but either way, there was one with a lot of contact at the other end a few mins before and no call. And all game Cumberland played like Jerome Bettis at the goal line - head down, out of control, creating contact and ended the game with 1 foul. Officials were awful tonight.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Haven't had this much excitement in a long time. Finally playing with the fire we all want to see, keep building on this guys! Felt the need to yell at the TV for lopsided officiating, terrible. Cumberland pushes off seconds prior to JA getting his 5th, no call. Final play, defender is 3/4 of the way falling down and Vital gets slapped with a push. Minutes earlier, same situation when Cincy had the ball crossing half court, no call!

There isn’t an officiating crew on earth that consistently calls that push off. At this point is in devolved versions of hoop we have, There’s probably at least one of those that could be called on every other possession.

Reaction Score
I was most offended by the flagrant foul they called on what was pretty clearly a normal basketball play. In the old Big East it would've barely been called at all. The statistical discrepancy in fouls and FTs taken was not justified, did not reflect the run of play as I watched it.

the Q

Reaction Score
I saw a flop on the slowmo replay. And you usallly let them play with <5sec left unless it’s a horribad foul. But we can agree to disagree.

Do agree that CV should have found a way to get to ball to AG

I agree with the last part for sure.

Reaction Score
Refs or no refs, we had our chances but couldn't make big baskets near the end. Unforced turnovers should be fixed by now, or at least reduced. Painful to see it keep happening, especially by our starters.

the Q

Reaction Score
2 key plays we had offensive fouls. One by Wilson and one by vital.

Reaction Score
Carlton a plus tonight. JA played hard kept us in the game. Came up big when he came back in with 4. Sid gets blocks off ball defending. CV plays hard but Gilbert should have had the ball. Was hot and better dribble. Gilbert played well when JA went out. But we needed more from him earlier. Gets himself in bad areas with the dribble. Cobb just not effective.

Great effort but we need to start winning games like this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How in the hell does AG not touch ball last 7 secs? R u kidding. Vital takes it? . If cincy makes it or misses , u give that to AG immediately !!! Cincy has no guys under basket and there were 7 secs left. Plenty of time. Aggravating ending to an overall very good performance

Reaction Score
If your Hurley, do you take a fine or whatever comes to call out officiating?

I only ask because if you tell the media your guys played their tails off, just hard to win in an unfair fight, wouldn’t that have a bigger affect on his guys going forward? And by calling out officiating, is mainly point to the flagrant call.

Reaction Score
Vitale definitely pushed off and as much as I want to blame the refs in the last five games, we foul mostly due to our bigs lack of strength or being out of position. Wilson, Polley and Whalley are abused consistently and Carlton about half the time.

Reaction Score
There isn’t an officiating crew on earth that consistently calls that push off. At this point is in devolved versions of hoop we have, There’s probably at least one of those that could be called on every other possession.
Well, you found that crew tonight. They consistently called it against UCONN!

Reaction Score
Vitale definitely pushed off and as much as I want to blame the refs in the last five games, we foul mostly due to our bigs lack of strength or being out of position. Wilson, Polley and Whalley are abused consistently and Carlton about half the time.
You see any of Jalen's "fouls?" Those aren't about the bigs' lack of strength and directly impacted the game in a huge way.

the Q

Reaction Score
Some incredibly dumb fouls didn’t help.

Adams 5th foul.

Fouling Cumberland on the 3.

Gilbert’s foul near mid court.

Wilson and vitals offensive fouls.

That’s a lot of stupidity in crunch time.

Reaction Score
This may be the effort that turns the season around but I was saying to myself prior to the last free throw that I didn’t want Vitale to take the shot. Alas he got the rebound and we know what happens. There have been too many times in the last three years that Vitale has tried to do too much with the game on the line and it never ends well. I have zero problems with him taking a three off the kick out towards the end of the game but I just don’t want him to handle the ball or hoist a contested three in those circumstances.
It was an exciting game. Sad that we lost but proud of the effort. Cincy 42-2 at home.
Hurley should tell them "let this game be the defining moment for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Re the Wilson call. Maybe a good call but a terrible rule. Between this and there hooking auto flagrant, we have some stupid points of emphasis this year.
I said the same exact thing. You are basically having the defender running into the guy handing the ball off.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some incredibly dumb fouls didn’t help.

Adams 5th foul.

Fouling Cumberland on the 3.

Gilbert’s foul near mid court.

Wilson and vitals offensive fouls.

That’s a lot of stupidity in crunch time.

Josh is nearing drinking game status with a guaranteed foul at least 35' from the basket while switching off on a guard.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I had to pretend I was interested in something other than the game, such is life watching the game at home. So this will be short for lack of observed insights.

It was a game of runs. We fell behind and became a fouling machine especially with Jalen out with 4 fouls. We reverted back to trends that I have covered previously before the last game. Careless turnovers and silly fouls that put Cincy in the bonus when they had only 2 team fouls.

Carlton in the second half played aggressive on the boards and fought for rebounds. Vital, Gilbert and Adam’s played good at times and less well at others. Smith had a very poor game with careless fouls, missed shots and silly turnovers.

14 second half foul shots to 3 with 2 minutes left. Very difficult to win with that loopsided foul totals. This needs to be a focus going forward.

I thought Gilbert got fouled on that tying shot and the refs did not call it. These AAC refs stink. Aresco has done a poor job putting together good ref crews. Chief would like to know how many fouls shots we have shot vs our opponents in league play? I can tell you the numbers are ridiculous.

We played very hard but with Adams on the bench and Cincy sixth man wearing stripes it was too much to overcome. Gilbert did play great late.

129 to 86 on free throws. Seems a bit top heavy towards the bad guys. Of course, the pundits ususally say the aggressive team that goes inside a lot gets the calls. Seems when we go inside we usually get stuffed.

C

Chief00

Josh is nearing drinking game status with a guaranteed foul at least 35' from the basket while switching off on a guard.
That one never should have happened since he should not be aggressively hedging that far out. I thought we were starting to put that crazy Bigs hedging stuff behind us but that was really silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom