Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

129 to 86 on free throws. Seems a bit top heavy towards the bad guys. Of course, the pundits ususally say the aggressive team that goes inside a lot gets the calls. Seems when we go inside we usually get stuffed.

So our league opponent are going to the line 50% more than us. Hardly seems fair even factoring in various nuances. Very difficult to win under those circumstances.

The math would be 129-86 = 43
Then 43/86 = 50%

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
When you’re in foul trouble like we were (officiating sucked) play a zone, slow do
wn the fouls. Chess when playing checkers..

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Worst call in a huge moment: Sid offensive foul on the dribble hand off or CV going after a loose ball, Broome falls down and it’s a foul? Or Al getting hammered on the tying shot? Or CV knocking the ball off Cincy and the refs not going to the monitor before the Cumberland 3 FTs? We had way too many empty possessions down the stretch but the refs wouldn’t let Cincy lose that game.

Reaction Score
This may be the effort that turns the season around but I was saying to myself prior to the last free throw that I didn’t want Vitale to take the shot. Alas he got the rebound and we know what happens. There have been too many times in the last three years that Vitale has tried to do too much with the game on the line and it never ends well. I have zero problems with him taking a three off the kick out towards the end of the game but I just don’t want him to handle the ball or hoist a contested three in those circumstances.

Especially after Gilbert had already made two huge clutch shots at the end of regulation and OT. But Vital is no shy guy and tries to make plays.

Reaction Score
Some incredibly dumb fouls didn’t help.

Adams 5th foul.
# his 3rd and 4th were the stupid ones, he just got caught in a fake, after Cumberland had his offensive foul ignored

Fouling Cumberland on the 3.
# the guy flopped

Gilbert’s foul near mid court.

Wilson and vitals offensive fouls.

That’s a lot of stupidity in crunch time.

Reaction Score
So our league opponent are going to the line 50% more than us. Hardly seems fair even factoring in various nuances. Very difficult to win under those circumstances.

The math would be 129-86 = 43
Then 43/86 = 50%

Just Chiefin' with those math skills. Confirming he's not a millenial if he tells us he didn't use a calculator or an abacus.

Reaction Score
This one is on my wife, guys. I told her to go back upstairs you are terribly unlucky tonight... and what does she do? Watches the game from the bottom step with 7.8 ticks left and we lose it. No one to blame but her... ugh! ;)

Vallient effort. Still a few things to work on. I can’t wait for them to come to our house so we can kick their a$$es

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain the rationale for such a foul call?

CD46C445-5612-4E7D-A64C-DCDF45B6F3C1.jpeg

Reaction Score
Agree. Alrerique should've had the ball. Very weak call by the refs at the end, tough to make that call with 4 seconds left.
23 more free throw attempts can't happen. AG and Carlton did play well without adams.
And we hung with one if the best defensive teams in the country with our ragtag roster

Reaction Score
All of my thoughts were previously said, however something I was really encouraged about was Jalen. After the last game I noted I wanted to see more of that Jalen. He definitely showed it tonight. Once again just looked different.. Really encouraged with this performance. Giving me hope for rest of season into the conference tourney!

Reaction Score
This is his second very good game in a row.

If this is the Carlton we get going forward, we're in better shape for the stretch run than most of us though a few weeks ago. Massive "if" tho.
That was the best I've seen Carlton play this year, he competed all night and looked like he belonged. Really hope this is the Josh we see going forward.

Now stop with the wild hedging where he chases the ballhandler out way past the three point line.

Reaction Score
This was one of my favorite UConn games to see live. It was rough to hear the complaining from Cincinnati fans non-stop but im used to it because it happens with every sport (reds, bengals, bearcats). The biggest complaints from the crowd seemed to be directed at the refs “icing” the free throw shooters a lot by waiting to give them the ball while UConn was away on the other side of the court.

Reaction Score
I was surprised I didn’t see more UConn fans in the crowd. There was only one I could see sitting court side that had to have been on TV because he stood up every time UConn made a big play and was facing the TV camera. It was great getting a high five from CV and JA on their way out. Loved the energy the team brought tonight especially with the crowd as loud as it was.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Fans on the Cinci board are even saying they got bailed out by the refs. Absolutely ridiculous.

Proud of this team's progress though (especially Al and Josh) and I think we have as good a shot as anybody in the conference tournament. It hurts to lose those UCF and USF games. Brutal.
Just grateful to be competitive again- soon enough we will be back on top.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I had to pretend I was interested in something other than the game, such is life watching the game at home. So this will be short for lack of observed insights.

It was a game of runs. We fell behind and became a fouling machine especially with Jalen out with 4 fouls. We reverted back to trends that I have covered previously before the last game. Careless turnovers and silly fouls that put Cincy in the bonus when they had only 2 team fouls.

Carlton in the second half played aggressive on the boards and fought for rebounds. Vital, Gilbert and Adam’s played good at times and less well at others. Smith had a very poor game with careless fouls, missed shots and silly turnovers.

14 second half foul shots to 3 with 2 minutes left. Very difficult to win with that loopsided foul totals. This needs to be a focus going forward.

I thought Gilbert got fouled on that tying shot and the refs did not call it. These AAC refs stink. Aresco has done a poor job putting together good ref crews. Chief would like to know how many fouls shots we have shot vs our opponents in league play? I can tell you the numbers are ridiculous.

We played very hard but with Adams on the bench and Cincy sixth man wearing stripes it was too much to overcome. Gilbert did play great late.
I thought it was Carlton's best game as a UConn player. This game was important for his development. Also thought the refs should have T'd up Cronin at least once.

Reaction Score
The boys are inching closer. They fought all the way through the adversity. The hardest part is getting over the hump in a tight contest when you’re used to losing. They were one play away from winning several times and came up short. We’re going to get their buy it may take a few heartbreakers. They just can’t back off and need to keep working.

Reaction Score
If we play poorly Chief will say we don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt from the refs - tonight the officiating was terrible and unfair. It was total BS.
Chief. Yikes!!!

Reaction Score
Regarding Sid. Does anyone have any doubt of how good a weak side defender he is going to be. My favorite play of the whole game was one with no stats but a travel. Scott spun off n Sid and dusted by like 2 lengths, though he was called for the travel, Sid recovered in one stride and punched his shot the the first row. His goaltending and block on the dunk were great to see from such a slight guy. Real happy to see that. I hate to say I think the Cobb train has left the station. I really liked the thought of his game but he and Polley (aside from the fts in ot) have vanished. Seeing mo and his stature sure makes me wonder why we could be like. He actually looks bigger. Great effort from everyone tonight on both sides. Players and coaches. Even the fans were fun as we would be no different here. The refs put in their best effort to throw dirt on us with 6 minutes left in the first and amazingly 630 left in the 2nd. I was perturbed with the guy who I thought was Stu Gotz saying Cincy was a “special program “. Head bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom