Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Cincy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually think a huge sign for the program will be if they are able to replicate the effort and get a win at Tulsa.
Couldn't agree more. Moral victories weren't really a thing under Ollie because of inconsistent play. Really hoping to see us take care of business @ Tulsa and continuing to build momentum.

Reaction Score
Not quite....there's an 'apple...tree' thing going on for sure, and Bobby is quite animated, but not so much as Dan.

Thought Coach's behavior was institutionalized by ESPN last night when they used split screen to a) show the game, and b) show the Coach. Memories of JC? The announcers were very pleasantly amuzed. Though it a cute and good thing going forward.

Reaction Score
UConn last year: 593 FTA (238th), 629 opponent FTA (184th).
Rhode Island last year: 630 FTA (246th), 728 opponent FTA (292nd).

I'd say it's a combination of team and coach, but Danny's team did especially poorly.

I know he has said his current level of intensity is to motivate the team and that he wasn't as intense with his team last year.

At the same time, I wonder if the refs just start to tune him out and/or swallow their whistles more for calls for UConn.

I've seen other posters voice their concern about this and it makes me curious.

Fouls are one thing, but careless turnovers such as those first two long risky passes by Jalen will hopefully start to be curtailed.

I believe in Danny and this staff. I hope the current roster believes in him, themselves and the value/expense of each possession.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I had to pretend I was interested in something other than the game, such is life watching the game at home. So this will be short for lack of observed insights.

It was a game of runs. We fell behind and became a fouling machine especially with Jalen out with 4 fouls. We reverted back to trends that I have covered previously before the last game. Careless turnovers and silly fouls that put Cincy in the bonus when they had only 2 team fouls.

Carlton in the second half played aggressive on the boards and fought for rebounds. Vital, Gilbert and Adam’s played good at times and less well at others. Smith had a very poor game with careless fouls, missed shots and silly turnovers.

14 second half foul shots to 3 with 2 minutes left. Very difficult to win with that loopsided foul totals. This needs to be a focus going forward.

I thought Gilbert got fouled on that tying shot and the refs did not call it. These AAC refs stink. Aresco has done a poor job putting together good ref crews. Chief would like to know how many fouls shots we have shot vs our opponents in league play? I can tell you the numbers are ridiculous.

We played very hard but with Adams on the bench and Cincy sixth man wearing stripes it was too much to overcome. Gilbert did play great late.
"Had to pretend while at home" = My life story of watching sports at home. Thought it was just me.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Late coming to this but I agree 100%
There were other dubious calls and missed calls
The offensive foul on Sid was BS - he handed off the ball and turned with no intention of obstructing the path of the trailing defender
The T called on CV was BS - his actions and intent by using his arm to try and dislodge the ball in itself denies any intent to harm the driver. If CV can hit the cro magnum Cumberland and knock him like he portrayed then Cumberland better not flex his arms anymore
JA's 5th was a foul yes - but earlier in the same sequence, Cumberland extended his arm and pushed JA away - a clear offensive foul
Not a blame the ref person but everyone of the 10 guys who were watching the game with me felt UConn was robbed
I thought JA played really well - a couple of brain lapses but everyone had those - he defended really well and took offensively what came to him his stat line is real solid
AG was forcing some stuff early but his play in the second half was awesome
CV needs to get the ball more but was physical under the boards. He needs to stay in the corners more and hit 3's - they need to run plays for him
Carlton finally found himself - I hope he continues - UConn needs it
Polley still is a question mark - weak defensively is being kind
Sid - amazing athletic ability - amazing Needs to become a smarter player but he and AG are certainly going to be forces in the next few years
Smith- has reappeared the last 2 games - he is needed
Cobb - what is up with this guy???????? At this point Whaley needs his minutes
Dan Hurley - did well with TOs and was a great cheerleader, but please turn off the ref baiting - it's weird that a network keeps a camera on him during play - I was hoping he wouldn't come back to some of that act
Overall - was pleased with effort and drive of the team especially facing a good Cinci team at their home where they have the best home record in the NCAA "since 2016" as we heard 100 times. I hope this is what we will see from here on. Wished for a victory of course but am satisfied with the effort
The refs were horrible - just plain horrible
Seems as though Cumberland got away with shoving and headbutting while on offense. He reveled in getting away with what looked like dirty play on his part. Refs have to catch this type of play, particularly given the rivalry between us and UC.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Yea, it was a definite foul, with a sell from the defender. When CV went to save the ball, the defender occupied space and was set, cv turned into him, out his forearm out and the guy fell over, like he should in that case.

It’s a weaker foul, but it’s a foul. Would I call it with 4 ticks left? No. Unless you have consistently called it all game, which they had not. Cumberland used his shoulders against our defenders all game just bulling ppl over, and not one call. The blatant non call on a fast break against sid is case in point. Also led to Jalen fouling out
I'd give anything to have a bully on our side to match up against Cumberland. He was out there trying to punk us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You guys have created a ridiculous conspiracy. Refs are bad every night all over the country.

But you make sure to let them know UConn and Cincinnati is special. lol

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You guys have created a ridiculous conspiracy. Refs are bad every night all over the country.

But you make sure to let them know UConn and Cincinnati is special. lol

I take more issue with teams with a rep for “toughness” getting away with more than others.

Mich st needs to basically stab someone to get a foul called on them. The games against Virginia and Oklahoma in the ncaa tourney are embarrassingly bad.

Cincy gets some benefit of the doubt as well.

Don’t get me started on duke...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I take more issue with teams with a rep for “toughness” getting away with more than others.

Mich st needs to basically stab someone to get a foul called on them. The games against Virginia and Oklahoma in the ncaa tourney are embarrassingly bad.

I had NC State season tickets. I’ve been listening to this crying since the dawn of the internet.

It’s mostly in your head.

the Q

Reaction Score
I had NC State season tickets. I’ve been listening to this crying since the dawn of the internet.

It’s mostly in your head.

That’s like saying it doesn’t happen in the nba....except there it’s more certain players.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is exactly the issue in my view. Cinci and Louisville when they were in the league (including BE) both were simply allowed to foul. They played that style and the refs are faced with fouling the team out early second have or ignoring it. Temple gets away with quite a bit too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is exactly the issue in my view. Cinci and Louisville when they were in the league (including BE) both were simply allowed to foul. They played that style and the refs are faced with fouling the team out early second have or ignoring it. Temple gets away with quite a bit too.

Yep. I’m sure that’s it. The three most competitive teams get to foul and UConn doesn’t.

The team with 4 National Championships- dozens of tourney wins, great seeds, elite eights... the refs are discriminating against them.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yep. I’m sure that’s it. The three most competitive teams get to foul and UConn doesn’t.

The team with 4 National Championships- dozens of tourney wins, great seeds, elite eights... the refs are discriminating against them.

I didn’t say just against UConn. And I even gave specific game examples.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Agreed. Don’t know if it’s about the ‘program’ but for this team how they play at Tulsa is interesting and important.

Feel like any team can get pumped up and play tough against a name opponent in a hostile environment, but come a mundane Wednesday in Tulsa Oklahoma is a different story.

You have to see that fight carry over and the kids not rest of the laurels of a hard fought OT loss.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Feel like any team can get pumped up and play tough against a name opponent in a hostile environment, but come a mundane Wednesday in Tulsa Oklahoma is a different story.

You have to see that fight carry over and the kids not rest of the laurels of a hard fought OT loss.

Yes. But also a tough loss with a good effort. This is the kind of spot where teams ‘don’t get off the bus’.

Chance for this team to make an impression.

C

Chief00

Time to pivot after a tough loss and prepare for Tulsa. But, a little fun in the pivot.

Reaction Score
If your Hurley, do you take a fine or whatever comes to call out officiating?

I only ask because if you tell the media your guys played their tails off, just hard to win in an unfair fight, wouldn’t that have a bigger affect on his guys going forward? And by calling out officiating, is mainly point to the flagrant call.
If we play poorly Chief will say we don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt from the refs - tonight the officiating was terrible and unfair. It was total BS.
Your great Chief but as a coach you never blame the referees. If your good enough you beat 7 men. Take from one with experience my good teams beat 7 men.

Reaction Score

Not UConn related but over the years Pitino's Louisville teams seemed to get away with more than anyone. They constantly hand-checked, clutched, and grabbed.

Reaction Score
I think that the players strive when there’s energy in the building, that could explain the USF loss. When it isn’t loud, they don’t hype themselves up.

Reaction Score
I’m willing to meet you in the middle here.

It is possible it was part flop. But frankly you have to do it a little just to get a call cause you almost never see offensive fouls (non moving screens) without a guy falling...no matter how factually incorrect that should be, you basically have to fall to get a foul. But vital just flat out shoved him. It wasn’t a smart play either way.
Simsbury Girls player has drawn 7 Off.Fouls in the last 2 games. The penultimate play on the defensive end.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not UConn related but over the years Pitino's Louisville teams seemed to get away with more than anyone. They constantly hand-checked, clutched, and grabbed.

What you witnessed is someone who mostly had superior talent and coached them to the rules.

Reaction Score
I’m sickened that we are 1-3 in the AAC. Good effort and improvement but still 1-3 in a bad conference. Let’s take this improvement and rattle off a few wins in a row here. I think we will end up 1-4 this week, sadly, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom