CG Bones Hyland In Home Visit 5/1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CG Bones Hyland In Home Visit 5/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well @kansashusky went to see him play recently and stated the following on the other thread,

"Had the chance to watch him this weekend, and I was impressed. Very crafty and creative play maker, but does everything within the flow of the game, and does not turn the ball over. I think he will end up in the top 100 for all services here soon.

Frame is a bit lacking, but he reminded me of a poor man's Brandon Knight."

He didn't mention he had trouble with his handle. I doubt Hurley is recruiting a PG who can't dribble.

Can't dribble and handle not being a strength are two different things.

Gaffney CAN DRIBBLE but he is not known as an elite ball handler. Same is true of Bones. Or it should be.

We are prioritizing elite athletes and elite shooters before elite ballhandlers. That seems relatively obvious to me.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Whoever lands Bones will get one of the most confident shooters in the country. The courts at Hy-Vee Arena have the NBA 3-point line, and most of Bones’s 3s came from beyond that line. “That’s what coaches love,” he says. “They love that I can expand the floor and make deep, deep shots.”

I’ve said it before, but I hope we land this kid. He’s going to be very good.

Reaction Score
I’ve said it before, but I hope we land this kid. He’s going to be very good.

I like his upside the best out of the 3 guards we are recruiting to come in 2019:
1. Hyland seems to have extremely high confidence, a killer instinct, deep range, good quickness and nice court vision. Obviously he's too skinny at the moment.

2. R.J Cole averaged 20 points in college already. I don't care about the conference level. Anyone who averages 20 in college is someone that wants the ball, and knows how to make things happen. Seems to pull up well off the dribble.

3. Langford has a strong body, a lot of defensive potential, and he can rebound. Also a very good jumper but not a shooter.

Some very good options here but Bones interests me the most.

Reaction Score
Either Bones or R.J. would be great additions. R.J. is more polished and a known quantity. Bones seems to have a higher ceiling, if it all comes together, and his style is a great fit for Hurley. Parts of his attitude and flash remind me of Fatts Russell or Jared Terrell at URI. Lots of competition for both.

Reaction Score
Either Bones or R.J. would be great additions. R.J. is more polished and a known quantity. Bones seems to have a higher ceiling, if it all comes together, and his style is a great fit for Hurley. Parts of his attitude and flash remind me of Fatts Russell or Jared Terrell at URI. Lots of competition for both.
Agree with the Fatts Russell comparison with the confidence and style but he shoots it better than Fatts and is a lot taller.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I like his upside the best out of the 3 guards we are recruiting to come in 2019:
1. Hyland seems to have extremely high confidence, a killer instinct, deep range, good quickness and nice court vision. Obviously he's too skinny at the moment.

2. R.J Cole averaged 20 points in college already. I don't care about the conference level. Anyone who averages 20 in college is someone that wants the ball, and knows how to make things happen. Seems to pull up well off the dribble.

3. Langford has a strong body, a lot of defensive potential, and he can rebound. Also a very good jumper but not a shooter.

Some very good options here but Bones interests me the most.
I like Bones the most too because I don’t like taking a sit 1 play 2 with our scholarship situation and I think it’s easier to have Bones gain weight(especially with Sal as our S&C coach) than it is to teach Langford basketball skills.

Reaction Score
When is Cole's official? Think we're trying to get Bones to say yes before that? Would highly prefer Bones or Cole to Langford at this point.

We keep talking about wanting a big as well....but haven't heard any names in a while. Manuel was the last name we heard and supposedly were trying to get him in for a visit, but it's been radio silence since. Are they any updates on him or any other bigs?

Reaction Score
When is Cole's official? Think we're trying to get Bones to say yes before that? Would highly prefer Bones or Cole to Langford at this point.

We keep talking about wanting a big as well....but haven't heard any names in a while. Manuel was the last name we heard and supposedly were trying to get him in for a visit, but it's been radio silence since. Are they any updates on him or any other bigs?
Coles official is next weekend

Reaction Score
Agree with the Fatts Russell comparison with the confidence and style but he shoots it better than Fatts and is a lot taller.

Obviously, that’s why I said in attitude and flash. He looks like the version of Fatts that didn’t back down from Trae Young in the tournament. Fatts was an awful shooter last season. I wouldn’t burden any player with that comparison.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are the days of smaller guards (Boatright/Gilbert) over? It seems that Hurley likes lengthy PG's.

We got lucky had some good smallish guards but it makes a huge difference having size in the backcourt especially when you want to press full court. Harder to throw over them in a trap situation.

Reaction Score
We got lucky had some good smallish guards but it makes a huge difference having size in the backcourt especially when you want to press full court. Harder to throw over them in a trap situation.

That’s true but the game is about skill and shooting more than it’s ever been. MAL and Tremont Waters we’re ranked about the same coming out of high school. Tremont was all shooting and handles and MAL was defensive potential, length and being a “winner”. Maybe that’s not a totally fair comparison because MAL has underachieved but even if he didn’t, it’s clear the Waters-type player is more valuable.

Reaction Score
That’s true but the game is about skill and shooting more than it’s ever been. MAL and Tremont Waters we’re ranked about the same coming out of high school. Tremont was all shooting and handles and MAL was defensive potential, length and being a “winner”. Maybe that’s not a totally fair comparison because MAL has underachieved but even if he didn’t, it’s clear the Waters-type player is more valuable.

MAL was totally overrated so while I hear where you're going thats not a good comparison. But I agree so much about shooting I want big guards who can make shots. I love the 2 we have and now looking at Langford, and these other 2 I like the 2 who can make shots more than the slasher. But Langford has superior strength which we could use too. Good news is we are looking at some really god guards and I'm not even talking about the affect Coles could have in '20. Staff is hammering it with backcourt players but we also need a big, in a big way.

Reaction Score
MAL was totally overrated so while I hear where you're going thats not a good comparison. But I agree so much about shooting I want big guards who can make shots. I love the 2 we have and now looking at Langford, and these other 2 I like the 2 who can make shots more than the slasher. But Langford has superior strength which we could use too. Good news is we are looking at some really god guards and I'm not even talking about the affect Coles could have in '20. Staff is hammering it with backcourt players but we also need a big, in a big way.

Hell yeah. I like all three of those guards we are recruiting and even though Langford can’t shoot (yet) he can still be a really nice player for us

UconnU

Reaction Score
One thing that intrigues me about Bones is that he had a crazy tragetory before the injury he worked his way up from a sub 200 prospect to a top 70 prospect within a year. He’s just getting his game back now and has dominated the UA circuit. Get this he has been all-state since he was a freshman. Won Delaware player of the year this year, post injury. The fact that he played for a public school doesn’t concern me because Delaware is a state where nearly all their top prospects play public. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he may be the best of the 3 freshman guards if he commits. In fact he’s the highest rated of the 3 right now on 247.

Last edited:

UconnU

Reaction Score
AG, Bones and Boaknight would be such a filthy backcourt. Could be the most skilled back court we’ve had in at least 5 years.

UconnU

Reaction Score
His handle is flashy, but he’s one of the few players his age who can get away with it. He has remarkable hand-eye coordination and quick hands. He even ties his shoes fast. When the ball is in his hands, it’s like it has a charge in it. The rapid pace of his dribbles is discomforting for defenders. One coach recruiting him notes that he over-dribbles on occasion, but some of that is Bones messing with his man. In WeR1’s final game of the weekend, a defender scowls as Bones works the clock near half court, repeatedly putting the ball between his legs and crossing over before finally attacking.

He excelled in Kansas City working out of ball-screen action. He can pass with either hand and was able to read the defense, hitting rollers or throwing skip passes to open shooters. “He’s one of the most terrific passers you’re ever going to see,” Griffin says. “He can score a lot of points, but boy, a lot of people make comments about how well he passes the ball and threads the needle. He can see things long before they happen on the court.”
He’s easily the best passer I’ve seen on tape this year. Hurley will use him at point for sure.

Reaction Score
He’s easily the best passer I’ve seen on tape this year. Hurley will use him at point for sure.
Loving the optimism about this kid and Gilbert becoming Kemba. But let's get him to commit before annointing him a savior and our best freshman

Reaction Score

Absolutely. He doesn’t need to get to the rim because he gets so many others involved.

Reaction Score
One thing that intrigues me about Bones is that he had a crazy tragetory before the injury he worked his way up from a sub 200 prospect to a top 70 prospect within a year. He’s just getting his game back now and has dominated the UA circuit. Get this he has been all-state since he was a freshman. Won Delaware player of the year this year, post injury. The fact that he played for a public school doesn’t concern me because Delaware is a state where nearly all their top prospects play public. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he may be the best of the 3 freshman guards if he commits. In fact he’s the highest rated of the 3 right now on 247.
Lot of helium in that 247 ranking. Not to say he isn’t good, but Gaffney was putting up better numbers last year on the UAA circuit when he was appropriately aged, and Bouknight was first team in arguably the most competitive HS field in the country. They are also both significantly better athletes.

I think when demand is this high, it leads to media/coaches reaching a bit more.

Regardless, anything can happen, and Hyland seems like a talented kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom